WASD vs. ESDF

tronot

Which do you use? WASD is always the standard and I've always used it, however I'm thinking about changing. Since most keyboards have something raised up on the F key for touch typing, I'll always know where my hand is on the keyboard without having to look. It'll also make pressing Ctrl and Shift easier. Edited by tronot

Messes up my pinky-reach for Shift and Ctrl. :)

I know where my hand is if it leaves that far by finding F, and then I just instinctively move over from there (for gaming). The only time I think I've thought about that since, maybe, 1991 was you mentioning it now. :o

i have always used:

A: left

S: right

D: back

F: forward

with my skill activations taking up:

qwertzxcvgh.

with my razor keyboard my thumb can jump, but also has access to five other buttons that allowed me to set up all four of the task bars using the same qwertzxcvgh setup with the appropriate thumb button.

wish i woul have gotten this kb sooner...

Which do you use? WASD is always the standard and I've always used it, however I'm thinking about changing. Since most keyboards have something raised up on the F key for touch typing, I'll always know where my hand is on the keyboard without having to look. It'll also make pressing Ctrl and Shift easier.

I use a g13 keypad.

i have always used:

A: left

S: right

D: back

F: forward

with my skill activations taking up:

qwertzxcvgh.

with my razor keyboard my thumb can jump, but also has access to five other buttons that allowed me to set up all four of the task bars using the same qwertzxcvgh setup with the appropriate thumb button.

wish i woul have gotten this kb sooner...

Only other person I've ever seen use the home row like me in all my time playing games. Just seems more natural to use this setup.

I use F1-F12 for my secondary hotbar...my G700 mouse for my most used 3rd hotbar skills...the exttra function keys on the left on my G110 keyboard for the rest of the hotbar skills.

also have a G13, but I rarely use it in games.

Edited by Thunder-God

I use ESDF as it opens up additional keys for me to keybind to. It has made things a lot easier for me.

I recently started using a layout similar to this http://taugrim.com/2011/04/07/guide-to-strafing-movement-and-keybindings/ .

With this layout, I just have a strafe left/right key and use the mouse to move forward (press left and right buttons at the same time). So far I like it a lot, but it definitely takes some getting used to.

Just remember, anytime you change keybindings things will seem off at first but after a few laps around fleet for movement and some practice kills on a low level planet you'll start getting used to things.

Just remember, anytime you change keybindings things will seem off at first but after a few laps around fleet for movement and some practice kills on a low level planet you'll start getting used to things.

Oh, yes, well aware. I'm planning on re-doing a majority of my keybindings to be a more efficient/better player.

Just use E and D myself. Removed the "move right" and "move left" options from my keyboard long ago to help break myself from keyboard turning back when I was first learning keybinds.

Couldn't play any other way now, I don't think. To each their own really. Find something comfortable and run with it.

Good stuff. Keep it coming.

I would never have considered ASDF. Seems like a steep learning curve.

you would be surprised on how easy it is to get used to. I never could use the wsda thingee or any other. since 1996 any time i can change my keybind it goes directly to that. and did i mention how much love the Razor kb i bought...those thumb buttons are fantastic and i rarely have to move my hand off the keyboard...except when im PVPing and i start freakin out..ha.

Good stuff. Keep it coming.

I would never have considered ASDF. Seems like a steep learning curve.

I don't know about Qouivandes, but I went through typing classes in grade school...so I learned to type without looking and all that (for our tests they covered our hands with towels)...using the home row (asdf jkl;). So it's very easy for me to use the keys around the home row keys. I think it is more efficient (I could be wrong, I'm no expert) since I don't have to switch a finger to a different button to go backwards or forwards.

edit: why waste time on backwards? well sometimes you need it...and since I play a healer most of the time, it's important I make sure I'm still able to hit my healing targets with rapid shots. Better to have a backwards button than force yourself to turn around and run forward...especially when there's that annoying mouse movement glitch that sends the cursor off in a random direction. The less I have to move by mouse the better.

I initially tried WASD...but just couldn't get used to it...so I reverted back to the home row and never looked back.

Edited by Thunder-God

I only use WR (left right strafing) :p

why waste extra keys for back pedaling? Running forward already got the mouse for that.

I'm using standard wireless keyboard, and mouse.

I don't back pedal when avoiding aoe, that's for sure. When not in a fight or just running I like the option of using the keyboard to move to give my right hand a rest.

I don't know about Qouivandes, but went through typing classes in grade school...so I learned to type without looking and all that (for our tests they covered our hands with towels)...using the home row (asdf jkl;). So it's very easy for me to use the keys around the home row keys. I think it is more efficient (I could be wrong, I'm no expert) since I don't have to switch a finger to a different button to go backwards or forwards.

I initially tried WASD...but just couldn't get used to it...so I reverted back to the home row and never looked back.

That's exactly my thinking with wanting to move over so that my forefinger is on the F key at all times, because, I too, learned to touch type at a very young age.

I was in the same boat as OP. Totally trained to use WSAD but def. understood the limitations in key binding using that way.

Instead of trying to re-learn keys, I just went the lazy way and bought a Naga. WSAD with 12 buttons on mouse with shift/alt as the modifier seems like a much easier learning curve.