This game has a terrible, terrible crafting system.

Lord_Itharius

I just wanted to comment on how absolutely terrible, unprofitable, and RNG-based the crafting is in this game.

Basically the way you get from green to purple quality items is by disassembling such items until you get a higher quality item with a particular prefix. So to get a best-in-slot artifact, you need to get the right combination of prefixes by disassembling many blues til you finally get your artifact. This applies to every crafting trade.

So I'm doing this for implants to get a best in slot dps warrior implant.

I'm up to 200 disassembles (days of crafting missions and hundreds of thousands of credits) and I still don't have it.

The first epic I got was a Rampart implant. Shield rating. Effing shield rating.

The second epic I just got is Commander's, which gives PRESENCE. WHO NEEDS PRESENCE?! So I can PvP better in Ilum? What. The. Hell.

How many more implants will I have to disassemble to get the fabled Hawkeye prefix? Will the million credits and ten weeks of crew missions be worth the lousy implants that I'll replace in a couple of weeks with nightmare raid gear? Why couldn't I just have an epic schematic like the crafting in EVERY OTHER MMO IN THE WORLD. Instead, I have to play the New York Mega Millions every waking moment so I can have a 1 in a million shot of unlocking a decent purple schematic.

Brilliant. I'd give Bioware a golf clap, but I think I broke my hands PUNCHING THE WALL.

Peace.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just wanted to comment on how absolutely terrible, unprofitable, and RNG-based the crafting is in this game.

Basically the way you get from green to purple quality items is by disassembling such items until you get a higher quality item with a particular prefix. So to get a best-in-slot artifact, you need to get the right combination of prefixes by disassembling many blues til you finally get your artifact. This applies to every crafting trade.

I'm up to 200 disassembles (days of crafting missions and hundreds of thousands of credits) and I still don't have it.

The first epic I got was a Rampart implant. Shield rating. Effing shield rating.

The second epic I just got is Commander's, which gives PRESENCE. WHO NEEDS PRESENCE?! So I can PvP better in Ilum? What. The. Hell.

How many more implants will I have to disassemble to get the fabled Hawkeye prefix? Will the million credits and ten weeks of crew missions be worth the lousy implants that I'll replace in a couple of weeks with nightmare raid gear? Why couldn't I just have an epic schematic like the crafting in EVERY OTHER MMO IN THE WORLD. Instead, I have to play the New York Mega Millions every waking moment so I can have a 1 in a million shot of unlocking a decent purple schematic.

Brilliant. I'd give Bioware a golf clap, but I think I broke my hands PUNCHING THE WALL.

Peace.

THANK YOU! So needed to be said.

Wow sounds like you have some anger issues. I personally love the crafting system.

I love the fact that I can make my companions craft for me while I go on about my business.

I love that I don't have to just BUY every schematic in the game and that there is a chance that one player will be able to make something that another player cannot (again because it doesn't just come down to BUYING every single recipe/schematic in the game).

But you are entitled to your opinion of course.

Though you should take it easier on your wall.

Edited by Vesperascit

So you are complaining that in less than half a month you can't create the best implant?

If it was easy everyone would have it and it would be worthless.

It isn't the best implant. It's the best pre-raid implant. I'll be replacing it in hard mode operations, probably.

Crafting system is enjoyable for me, it's all I care about. Though I don't know how meaningful it is at end-game (I hope it's decent for hardcores though, as it seems perfect for casuals)

And I seriously hope you're not actually punching the wall over a game...

Edited by archifikoss

Peace.

Once you unlock it, you never have to unlock it on that character again--or on the server (since you can mail).

I understand you're frustrated but know that once you have it, you'll be golden. You can then make a killer profit selling the damn things.

Edited by Darren_Kitlor

I am on the fence about the crafting system. I kind of like crafting by myself...instead I have my companion just disappear and come back with materials or items. I think it would have been kind of cool to actually play in these crafting missions, some of the stories would make for. Good time. I do like the gaining of new recipes by disassembling made items

As for not having the best recipes...have you ever played the first Everquest? That was a unforgiving crafting system. Hours and hours of gathering materials only to fail and have to do it all over again

Wow sounds like you have some anger issues. I personally love the crafting system.

I love the fact that I can make my companions craft for me while I go on about my business.

I love that I don't have to just BUY every schematic in the game and that there is a chance that one player will be able to make something that another player cannot (again because it doesn't just come down to BUYING every single recipe/schematic in the game).

But you are entitled to your opinion of course.

Though you should take it easier on your wall.

This. ^^

If I shouldn't even bother with crafting, that proves my point that the crafting is broken.

No, it doesn't prove that at all. If you don't like it, then why would you bother taking part in a part of the game you dislike?

I dislike certain things in MMOs so I decide not to take part in that particular aspect of the game, but does that make them broken? The answer of course is no.

Edited by Mandrax

No, it doesn't prove that at all. If you don't like it, then why would you bother taking part in a part of the game you dislike?

I dislike certain things in MMOs so I decide not to take part in that particular aspect of the game, but does that make them broken? The answer of course is no.

I wouldn't bother with it because it's unprofitable and unreasonably RNG. If those conditions are true, then nobody should bother with crafting.

It isn't the best implant. It's the best pre-raid implant. I'll be replacing it in hard mode operations, probably.

Pre-Raid? This game has raids? Not according to the forums, which keep talking about how there's no end-game. How do you plan to replace your pre-raid implant with something from a non-existent end-game?

This is all so very confusing.

I wouldn't bother with it because it's unprofitable and unreasonably RNG. If those conditions are true, then nobody should bother with crafting.

I've found it to be reasonably profitable for me, and there is a degree of RNG to it, but many crafting systems have that.

I find it a far more interesting system to Rift, or to WoW. Clearly it isn't as involved as SWG and EvE, but in my opinion they were a bit overkill.

I wouldn't mind crafting so much if I could find stuff myself as well as pay my companion to find stuff for me. While I do find the whole taring down your crafted goods to unlock more stuff a little annoying. Its only because I have to pay to get the stuff to make that item. If I could gather the stuff on my own for free, I wouldn't feel so bad about having to break it down. Also I feel like they really missed out on a great opportunity with Diplomacy. It would have been great if you could choose to go as yourself on these small diplomatic side missions and meet leaders of different planets all around the galaxy and try to gain their favor so they support either the Republic or the Empire depending on who you are sided with. Edited by ClayPeopleCry

Have you tried creating then reverse engineering items with the exact stats you are looking for?

For example, on my smuggler who is a cybertech, if I craft a pile of keen mod 20A green, then reverse engineer all of them, I will unlock keen mod 20A blue, then again craft and reverse engineer them to get access to keen mod 20A purple.

You may know this already but trying to help.

Have you tried creating then reverse engineering items with the exact stats you are looking for?

For example, on my smuggler who is a cybertech, if I craft a pile of keen mod 20A green, then reverse engineer all of them, I will unlock keen mod 20A blue, then again craft and reverse engineer them to get access to keen mod 20A purple.

You may know this already but trying to help.

Yeah. Disassembling any blue item and proccing a purple schematic will cause the purple to have one more secondary stat on top of whatever stats the blue had, and that stat is based on the prefix. So overkill implants are definitely the things to disassemble.