January is coming. is ilum coming?

LUCASCASADEIS

Do we want it back ?

Bear with me.

We lost a lot of people when they got to end game and saw just how utterly dross Ilum was, my guild at the time stuck it out enjoying spanking rebs in warzones waiting for the great Ilum v2 and when we got that it was even worse than the original incantation and spelled the end for many a pvp guild my own included. I took a sabatacle at the same time returning 6 weeks ago and starting afresh.

Do we really want to build our hopes up of a good open world pvp I personally am not nor do I want BW to build something up that is going to be utterly pants once again. I would much rather see effort be put into 16 or 32 man warzones.

well they have upgraded the engine. It is better then it was at launch.

Large scale RvR was unplayable, the last large scale event I was in was still unplayable, although that was ~ 5 months ago now.

I hope they've improved the engine, but even a 100% improvement would still be bad if you're talking 20 vs 20 battles, never mind bigger battles.

Having said that eventually they managed to sort WARs engine out so it could take 400 v 400 in one RvR basin before the server fell over, so you never know.

I would be happy with something on the scale of old school vanilla AV. That used to be fun and is very lacking in swtor, wz's get old fast if you play them most of the time....

I want to see companions usable too in all world pvp, make them more useful and tactical then they are currently.

The problem is that no matter what they do to revamp Ilum, unless they fix the engine issues that plagued it from the start, it's not going to be playable.

I remember going out there for the first time last year and only seeing a bunch of red and green nameplates over the snow without any avatars, a framerate of 3, and horrendus lag just to move forward a few steps.

Regardless of how they reinvent Ilum, if that problem still exists it'll be unplayable.

Right now, that problem definately still exists.

They claimed the Ilum PvP would be back by January after a big event.

They hinted that next event(after acquisition race) would most likely be related to Ilum relaunch, which they are trying to re-relaease close to anniversary of last Ilum-changing patch, in late January.

Somehow people understood this as definite promise.

It's a shame Ilum has gone by the wayside as it had such huge potential as a PVP area.

I think some changes in the concept of Ilum would garner a lot more interest and player activity. I was always a fan of the task bask objectives the PVP area in LOTRO had, whilst the actual pvp was lack luster.

To implement this wouldn't be huge but would incorporate a couple of minor quests and one major quest which would either be on a daily or weekly basis.

My thoughts on the major quest would be for a faction to hold all 5 nodes for 5min. Once this has been achieved the faction holding those nodes can then infiltrate the base of the opposing faction. The bases would have suitable defences in 3 - 5 rooms to challenge a raid (ops group) of players. In the final room would be a faction boss that would be challenging (world boss type maybe). Whilst this is happening, global announcements on Ilum and the respective fleets would be displayed once the enemy faction had broken into the base. This would give a small chance for the defending faction to mobilise and defend their base (hence inspiring interaction). The boss once defeated would drop random PVP gear and the reward for this (be it daily or weekly) would be PVP currency.

The minor quests could be kill X amount of opposing faction NPC's or Sub Bosses located around the map, but again rewarded with PVP currency.

I believe a simple idea such as this would inspire people to actually want to go to Ilum and actively PVP there.

At the moment however Ilum is really a waste a time and does not interest me in the slightest.

A world event that introduced the overhaul of Ilum pvp has most certainly been mentioned for January. I don't think that was a promise, it was just a projected date by the dev team.

Would love to see a link where they said Ilum PvP was overhauled, because i certainly missed that part. I caught the Gabe interview, and he never mentioned that there.

Edited by Tic-

Well your first problem OP is you believe what they say. Fact of the matter is if you go back and read all the developer claims and promises more then 2/3 of the time it either never happened or was obviously rushed and was critiqued hard by the player base. I wouldn't be surprised it they forget all about Ilum it would not be the first time.