For Profit Artificing

Kobesnipe

Hello,

I recently hit 400 and I've had plenty of things to craft to improve my character. Now I'm interested in crafting for profit.

Can anyone either point me to a thread on recommended for profit (GTN) artifice crafting? As it currently stands I have a plethora of recipes I barely have a grasp of and huge amounts of trouble regularly selling anything I make.

Is there a short life of items that always sell well? For the moment I feel as though crafting for profit seems like a bit of a struggle.

Thanks.

Essentially anything you can make except crafting Magenta crystals is easier to get from PVP/Dailies/HM. As it currently stands, unless you find a recipe off a boss, Artifice is worthless.

This is my experience so far. I'm highly tempted to drop Artifice and Treasure Hunting, after having gotten both to 400 and spent thousands on recipes.

Beyond customizing myself while leveling, it's been just a money sink.

Your experience on your server may vary, but I did testing over several days and was not able to get Orange Artifact +31 crystals to sell regularly for more than about 18k. I had one sell as high as 30k after putting it on the market 3 times over a 3 day period.

The materials to make these separately sell for over 40k. They require a rare crit mission gem, the corusca gems.

Blue level crystals did not sell at all.

After you take into consideration the thousands and thousands of credits and days and days of time it takes to max artificing, treasure hunting, and archaeology to make these things, I could never really make any profit selling these things for 18k.

I have kept my skills because I have given up wasting any more time with crew skills, but I agree with others here that unless you are in a fairly hardcore raiding guild crew skills are useless.

I know server experience may vary, and high end stuff sells for the biggest pile of credits..

That said there's a big niche wide open for anyone wanting to make level 11 - 31 crystals and put them up for sale. Why there's a huge hole I don't know.

Plus the Nar Shadaa (Hutt's network) is hardly used at all. When you consider that players from both factions have access (twice the number of buyers ) that's mind boggling.

If you can reverse engineer some enhancements up to artifact quality, you might get some sales. As it is now, Hilt, Barrel, and Armoring are all available from daily commendations. Mod and Enhancement will be granted as some rewards, but crafters can make a proffit with these at lvl 50.

Hello All,

Thanks for the feedback. I'm going to look into the few rare recipes mentioned and see what I can do.

Aside from this reading the experiences of others is worrisome. I'm wondering if I would have been better off in a sure fire credit gaining profession (like slicing?).

I'm treasure hunter / archaeology and as others noted it appears to be a money pit.

You have to make things that aren't readily available. Lots of Jedi are Artificers so don't bother making items for other Jedi; they'll make their own. And enhancements are easy to come by with planetary commendations. As far as I know, Artificers are the only source for color crystals and most Artificers are Jedi so target the non-Jedi classes. I didn't know until I was already level 200 in Artifice that blasters use color crystals so make crystals with that in mind. Shields and generators for non-Jedi sell pretty well, too.

Also, level 50 characters are going to get most of their gear from Ops and PvP so make items for lower level characters. Some players don't want to be bothered crafting their own gear. They'll by from you as the level up and then worry about cultivating a crafting skill once they reach the level cap. Others may spend all their commendations gearing up their character but find they still need gear for their companions. Make items with specific companions in mind.

Lastly, price fairly. There may be 10 prototype grade, level 24 color crystals listed in the GTN for 10,000 credits each but none of them are going to sell because only an idiot or some one really desperate would pay that. If you want the stuff to move, then price it to sell.

Maybe it's just my server but I tend to make a serious amount of creds off of hilts, for example yesterday I sold a blue might 17 hilt for 8k, not much of a profit I know but I'm just making up for the extreme deficiency of +str gear from Commendation vendors.

People will also pay quite a bit for a lightsaber with an augment slot in it.

The only way to make these is with the Biometric Crystal Alloy which only rarely drops from Hard Mode flash points and operations.

If you are in a raiding guild and raid consistently you might be able to make a few of these, but not consistently enough to make a lot of profit out of them. Non-raiders and casual players need not apply.

For now, focus on items characters who are leveling will find useful. As others have pointed out, simple dailies provide better stuff for level 50 characters than you can produce.

However, it's not quite as easy to obtain crystals, hilts, and mods (or whatever the other thing Artificers make is) that are good for pre-50 levels. Make them and post them in quantities players can use. Especially post higher quantities for things that go into many pieces of gear.

That's where your profit is: supplying leveling characters. At least until the devs put better end-game schematics into the game for you.

For now, focus on items characters who are leveling will find useful. As others have pointed out, simple dailies provide better stuff for level 50 characters than you can produce.

However, it's not quite as easy to obtain crystals, hilts, and mods (or whatever the other thing Artificers make is) that are good for pre-50 levels. Make them and post them in quantities players can use. Especially post higher quantities for things that go into many pieces of gear.

That's where your profit is: supplying leveling characters. At least until the devs put better end-game schematics into the game for you.

Enhancements