Will TESO / ESO kill this game?

Ginwtf

He is entitled to his opinion ... he's just not entitled to kicking people who disagree, or the expectation of his opinion being accepted as unquestionable fact. We can live with that, just not sure he can.

I wouldn't put too much cred in an opinion that comes from a poster whose signature advertises a Refer-A-Friend link above a screen shot of their account being cancelled. First, why would anyone interested in something click on any link posted by someone who hates on it. Second, he hasn't cancelled or he wouldn't be here spewing fail. Which means either the screen is a fake or the account is a fake. Either way, simply report whatever's reportable. Otherwise walk away.

I most definitely did cancel. 10 days left on my sub.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I most definitely did cancel. 10 days left on my sub.
I too have served (Class 101→NSWG Coronado & NSWSES Port Hueneme) - where integrity, poise and precision is a way of life. Which is probably why I am so confused about what possesses people to have to exact revenge on a virtual community over a video game (of all things) that somehow wronged them. :confused: Edited by GalacticKegger

By all means keep believing the game isn't dead.

OK then please enlighten us oh divine one :rolleyes: by what measure do you judge this game as being dead?

Number of players?

Number of GF pops for flashpoints?

Number of pops for PvP?

Number of fleet instances?

Number of people on fleet?

Number of groups running operations?

Because if you use any of those factors are a yardstick by which to judge the health of this game then it is most defiantly alive and well.

I know what a dead server feels like, I remember back before the first server merge, I was stuck on a dead server, Ludo Kresh, where you were lucky if there were more than 50 people online (that's across both factions) at peak times, often I was the only one on the fleet's single instance, now that was dead and Red Eclipse is nothing like that at all.

The only figures that remotely suggest this game is dead is the number of doom mongers on these forums. I am not asking you to like the game, I'm not asking you to stay, I just hate it when people try and destroy something other people enjoy simply because they don't anymore.

I wouldn't put too much cred in an opinion that comes from a poster whose signature advertises a Refer-A-Friend link above a screen shot of their account being cancelled. First, why would anyone interested in something click on any link posted by someone who hates on it. Second, he hasn't cancelled or he wouldn't be here spewing fail. Which means either the screen is a fake or the account is a fake. Either way, simply report whatever's reportable. Otherwise walk away.

Oh I know exactly what type of poster he is ;) I just felt like fishing for t***** :p

Edited by magi_melcior

I'm going to have to say no. I'm not a Star Wars fan, however, I am a huge fan of the ESO type of setting and story. Having played all the Elder Scrolls, Fables and those types of games, I have to say I was disappointed with the ESO beta...

I've only played this game for a short while, subscribing 4 or so days ago, however having played the ESO beta I have no intention of leaving this game yet. The PVP on ESO will only get it so far IMO, whereas this game eclipses it in terms of story and general side-questing albeit the PVP in this is fairly muted.

WIll players leave? Yes, of course they will, however at this point in TOR's lifecycle I think the majority of those that play it will be people who've stuck with it and only a small minority, such as myself, have joined recently and won't be too fussed to pick up and leave.

• 2 weeks later...
The current ESO will not attract me to subscribe and i do not think i will be a major threat to swtor.

I was in one Beta, buddy of mine in two. I played Skyrim and Oblivion to the point of sleep deprivation.

To maintain civility, all I will say is this - wait until ESO goes FTP then try it. There is NO reason to spend $50 + right now on ESO. (Unless you have money to burn in which case I would say your time is more valuable)

I was in one Beta, buddy of mine in two. I played Skyrim and Oblivion to the point of sleep deprivation.

To maintain civility, all I will say is this - wait until ESO goes FTP then try it. There is NO reason to spend $50 + right now on ESO. (Unless you have money to burn in which case I would say your time is more valuable)

I very very highly doubt ESO will go FTP anytime soon if ever.

If you have played the game outside of the starter islands you'd be very surprised on how good the game actually is. Questing, exploring, crafting and pvp are all done so well in ESO to the point that it dwarves a game like swtor in comparison. Of course the game is not all good, end game leaves much to be desired and launch bugs are pretty rampant which might drive some players away but at the end of the day most people playing the game have nothing but good things to say about it.

Just because its not skyrim with multiplayer doesn't mean it bad, just like how swtor is not star wars galaxies.

Having played swtor since launch and seeing the Dev team/Community team destroy the game I can honestly say ESO has more to offer right now. Swtor has never been a hardcore game but now the focus seems to be casual content and content that can be monetized (GSF, Housing, cartel Market). If you are a casual player why wouldn't you try eso? the questing is better, the world is better, the voice acting is better and pvp is better.

Edited by HoboWithAStick

I wouldn't worry about that. SWTOR is unique in that its a MMO in the Star Wars universe. Its a great experience, and it isn't an FRPG.

Personally, I subscribe to SWTOR, WOW, EVE, TESO, and DDO... and occasionally buy things in Neverwinter and other games that are freemium... they are all different types of experiences and all enjoyable for different reasons.

I don't watch TV... just pick the MMORPG I feel like playing that day... ultimately, the cost of playing many MMORPGs is cheaper than cable, and its more fun... in one of these games, its not a passive activity like TV... its satisfying to build a character and watch it evolve.

ESO is bad... worst combat system ever, super unbalanced classes, pvp doesnt have a point ... story is so so but easily forgetable. Played beta, and on live and no... the game doesnt get that much better after you leave the starting insland (there are a whole lot of bugs to explore tho). Best is hitting mobs 10 miles away with mellee, seems legit. AND THAT DOES Happen in pvp aswell, its just hilarious. I find it amusing that the game hadnt even been released and there were already level 50s running around. That endgame better be gud! + ESO doesnt feel like a mmo... feels more like a multiplayer morrowind, it lacks basic MMO features.

AND If you find CC in this game bad... well my friend, you will have a whole new experience on ESO, its literaly beeing stunned to death.

Edited by xxIncubixx

I very very highly doubt ESO will go FTP anytime soon if ever.

yes it will. its not even about how good or bad the game might be, its just a fact of life in todays MMO market. im sure they already have their F2P model all ready to go. if they don't, then they are going to have problems just like TOR did.

yes it will. its not even about how good or bad the game might be, its just a fact of life in todays MMO market. im sure they already have their F2P model all ready to go. if they don't, then they are going to have problems just like TOR did.

Yep. An MMO without a cash shop or no plans for a cash shop is at a big disadvantage these days. Not saying it's impossible to do well without one but it's becoming more and more of a business no-brainer assuming it's done right.

Edited by Projawa

Still, I highly doubt it. Bethesda/Zenimax is not a greedy company and its not like they spent 200 Mil making this game either.

Lets just pretend they did go free to play. Do you really think they would sell out their user base the way tor did? I think of a game developer like Todd Howard and he would never let this happen.

And the other thing is what are they going to monetize? XP boosts are out as they are already in the game via crafting, Mounts are out, only so many horses the user base could stand, they went crap all over lore like tor did for gear. So at the end of the day what are they going to be selling? Bank Space, pets?

At the end of the day I really feel they are too good for that. Not to mention 3 platforms and one of the biggest gaming IP's?

Still, I highly doubt it. Bethesda/Zenimax is not a greedy company and its not like they spent 200 Mil making this game either.

Lets just pretend they did go free to play. Do you really think they would sell out their user base the way tor did? I think of a game developer like Todd Howard and he would never let this happen.

And the other thing is what are they going to monetize? XP boosts are out as they are already in the game via crafting, Mounts are out, only so many horses the user base could stand, they went crap all over lore like tor did for gear. So at the end of the day what are they going to be selling? Bank Space, pets?

At the end of the day I really feel they are too good for that. Not to mention 3 platforms and one of the biggest gaming IP's?

Bethesda is not more or less "greedy" than any other for profit company( including EA ). besides, its not about being "greedy" anyway. as I said, its about how the current MMO market is.

As a for profit company It is all about greed. Or more precisely, how greedy they can be within the confines of the law and the tolerance of their customer base. This isn't "good or bad" nor does it imply unscrupulous exploitative behavior. It's just the way it is.

Edited by Projawa

I can't wait for you to grow disillusioned, Hobo.

how good the game is - is entirely your subjective option. I'm enjoying the story, but I saw a lot of people just skipping all the conversations, just like they did in TOR. so there has to be something outside of story to keep people in. crafting is good? I suppose randomly dropped recipes, no trainers, having to go to a crafting station for everything, henchman bringing mats being complete crap and not worth the skill points spent, having to manually hit R for every single item you are crafting (I guess hitting r 100 times while doing nothing else is fun to some people?) the only thing I genuinely like about crafting in ESO, personally - is the animations. they are pretty cute.

yes the game is very pretty, but so is TOR. and both game's aesthetics are a matter of personal preference anyways. can you skip starting island? theoretically. practically, you will be underleveled for pretty much everything in the land you arrive at, so you might want to go back to that island anyways.

what can they sell in cash shop? faster way to upgrade horses (becasue having to go back to the stables every 20 hours to get 1 extra bag slot is apparently fun as well), crafting materials, soul gems, outfits (you know, these things you get from some quests that change how you look regardless of what you are actualy wearing), yes more bag space AND bank space, character renames, guild renames, character respecialization, race unlocks for those who didn't preorder but may still wish to play any race with any alliance, yes they could still sell xp boosters etc, regardless of them being available through crafting.

ESO is THE game for some. just like SWTOR is THE game for some. the question is - is that enough people to sustain subscription only model? we'll see in a few months. me? I have unsubbed.

Edited by Jeweledleah

AFAIK they did actually spend around 200 mil making the game.

Oh and as for greedy, all I have to say is horse armour dlc.

Gee, I don't know... let's look at what TOR is selling. Armour, emotes, weapons, mounts and pets... Yup, sounds like those would be the things they'd sell.

Edited by OddballEasyEight

AFAIK they did actually spend around 200 mil making the game.

Oh and as for greedy, all I have to say is horse armour dlc.

Gee, I don't know... let's look at what TOR is selling. Armour, emotes, weapons, mounts and pets... Yup, sounds like those would be the things they'd sell.

No they didn't

http://www.p4rgaming.com/zenimax-debunks-elder-scrolls-online-200m-budget-rumor-we-couldnt-have-wasted-that-much-money/

Even though I love the single player elder scrolls games, looking at the trailers and gameplay of ESO...it was not something that looked appealing to me. However I gave in to my friend begging me to play with him and bought it and it's even more boring than I expected. After a few hours I was back to SWtOR again. I keep trying to play ESO bit by bit because I don't want that $60 to go to waste, but I can't get into it and I can only play for like an hour at a time.

The things I look for in any game:

-Characters

-Story

-Ability to roleplay my character through actions and dialogue (not player RP)

-Customization of my character's looks and clothing

-Compelling quests that either make me care or trick me into caring ex: save my companion's brother from a group of thugs vs collect 100 rat tails

-Great voice acting

SWtOR has the things I like, ESO is based on combat and combat is not something that I value, yet even the combat lacks the fun of the SP games. The game as a whole lacks the fun, sense of adventure and exploration and mischief that the SP games have.