Offline crafting via iPhone

ayoumans

I have always wondered how I can tie my account into my smart phone to take the experience away from my computer. What do you think it would be like if you could send your companions on crafting/gathering missions from an app on your phone. I don't imagine that it would be that difficult, considering you don't need to load any of the world data. It would still be limited to the amount of money you have available and it doesn't interfere with other peoples play experience. It would be a simple way to bring SWTOR with me to work, or while waiting for my wife to try on her umpteenth dress. Edited by ayoumans

I've heard that Android phones have an app somewhat like what you're talking about. The only difference is that your computer has to be logged in to the server in which your characters are in. you don't have to be signed on to a specific character, though, so if you have 5 characters you could send your crew on missions from every character.

like i said before though, that's just what i've heard. i have an iphone and i want an app EXACTLY the way you're describing it. hopefully something can be done.

Yes, as you say, remote desktop would probably work, however I tend to not connect often enough to keep me logged in. Every time I wanted to check in on them I would have to spend 10 minutes logging in and loading the entire world content on my computer just to send them on a simple mission. Plus it is an enormous waste of energy.

I'm not sure how similar to AFK macroing this would actually be. It has absolutely no effect on other players (you are not camping nodes) and you aren't actually AFK. It would be essentially the same thing as going home, logging into the game for 5 minutes to send my companions on quests and logging back out. If I don't "log in" to the app, they wouldn't go on any missions. Although to make it even more useful you could have it alert you when a quest is completed. Man I really want this ability.

I have been a developer in the past, the only issue is you would need access to the login servers, character servers and such. It would be a bunch of back end code. It would almost be easier to have most of this happen server side as if you were logged in and standing wherever you are. Then just send the mission/crafting options with a drop down of which companion you would like to use.

Just got a response to a ticket I filed regarding remote desktop programs. Specifically, I was asking if there would be any action taken against my account if I used one on a portable device (or another computer) to remotely operate crew skills on my game computer at home.

The response I got was as follows:

However, we would like to inform you that using any third party applications like auto software programs, macro software programs and other cheat utility programs are against our "Terms of Use" agreement. If you feel that the third party program you are using is classified as such, then you should stop using it as it may lead to a penalty in your account.

We also discourage using third party programs as they may cause errors within the game that we will not be able to support.

Now to clarify I'm not using anything... yet and would never use one of the programs listed (the ones I made bold). However, it seems to me that the only issue they have with remote desktops (assuming nothing is automated) is that there may be unforeseen problems and/or game errors which they won't support (rightfully so).

I guess that's good news for people who want to work on crew skills at a time when they aren't able to fully play the game.

Edited by Benfynyn

Just got a response to a ticket I filed regarding remote desktop programs. Specifically, I was asking if there would be any action taken against my account if I used one on a portable device (or another computer) to remotely operate crew skills on my game computer at home.

The response I got was as follows:

Now to clarify I'm not using anything... yet and would never use one of the programs listed (the ones I made bold). However, it seems to me that the only issue they have with remote desktops (assuming nothing is automated) is that there may be unforeseen problems and/or game errors which they won't support (rightfully so).

I guess that's good news for people who want to work on crew skills at a time when they aren't able to fully play the game.

I don't think that remote accessing would violate TOS. You're not using a spam program, an afk program. You're actively playing. Now, if you were using a program to make all the crew mission choices...THAT would violate TOS, IMO.

Seems like this would be a bad idea. It's virtually the same as afk macroing, which is typically frowned upon in most games.

When you can do the exact same thing through remote desktop, all this app would do is make that already acceptable task more convenient. Not to mention that you need lots of credits to keep running the missions all day, and you can't get all those credits with the app. Still have to login and play to get those.

An app like this would not only benefit SWTOR players, but would also benefit Bioware in two ways. First, you are providing added value to your customers, which enhances your competitive position. Second, you can charge for it, similar to wow's remote auction house, thus bringing in another revenue stream.

It's a win win for everyone.

Edited by Marlaine

I wonder if I did remote access from work if my work would notice what I was doing over the network connection?

Negative. RDP via windows machines is encrypted by default. All your network admins would see is traffic, but not the contents of it. Then again if your network admins are dumb enough to allow RDP out to the internet anywhere you likely have bigger issues at work lol.

3G/4G will also work.

I can't imagine logging into the game via an rdp session would violate any ToS with Bioware for this game. It's still you logging in and performing actions.

RDPing into a 3D game is a PITA, slow and awkward. I feel games now have to compete in the mobile integration space, if not for crafting for any number of things. Game companies want you stuck to the game, want you interacting as much as possible, mobile solutions add to that strategy. Granted it takes infrastructure and development to make it happen, so we won't be seeing anything soon, but it something Bioware should be exploring.

I want to be able to craft, RE, send companions on missions, manage my mailbox, chat, etc. from my mobile device.

RDPing into a 3D game is a PITA, slow and awkward. I feel games now have to compete in the mobile integration space, if not for crafting for any number of things. Game companies want you stuck to the game, want you interacting as much as possible, mobile solutions add to that strategy. Granted it takes infrastructure and development to make it happen, so we won't be seeing anything soon, but it something Bioware should be exploring.

I want to be able to craft, RE, send companions on missions, manage my mailbox, chat, etc. from my mobile device.

Agreed, RDP does indeed work, but its slow and clunky and can't be used for much more than sending out minions from your phone or remote computer.

An actual phone app supported by Bioware would be pretty awesome. I doubt it is something that would be implemented even in the next couple of years though. I think the only option is RDP and hope that technology improves a tad for 3D games and such.

When you can do the exact same thing through remote desktop, all this app would do is make that already acceptable task more convenient. Not to mention that you need lots of credits to keep running the missions all day, and you can't get all those credits with app. Still have to login and play to get those.

An app like this would not only benefit SWTOR players, but would also benefit Bioware in two ways. First, you are providing added value to your customers, which enhances your competitive position. Second, you can charge for it, similar to wow's remote auction house, thus bringing in another revenue stream.

It's a win win for everyone.

You know what would be even cooler? If they integrated a 'mini' game feel to it as well; sort of like mafia wars (I think someone mentioned earlier) or one of the facebook games. Perhaps have bonuses for helping your guildies craft, sending out mission help requests, having to build up levels via the mobile tool...etc. I could see potential of there being adverse affects; but if it was thought through there might be potential integration, really and truly bridging that gap between hardcore and casual gamers.

Agreed, RDP does indeed work, but its slow and clunky and can't be used for much more than sending out minions from your phone or remote computer.

An actual phone app supported by Bioware would be pretty awesome. I doubt it is something that would be implemented even in the next couple of years though. I think the only option is RDP and hope that technology improves a tad for 3D games and such.

RDP isn't the problem, bandwidth is.

As a suggestion, I really like this idea.

Think it's perfectly viable for a spot on the Wall Of Crazy.

(As a weird workaround that people are bouncing around all these ideas for.... I'll wait until it passes through the Wall.)

Edited by Monotoli