Have you noticed on most MMO forums people just whine and complain?

Citywok

I've played a lot of MMOs. Galaxies, WoW, EQ2, Vanguard, DAoC, Age of Conan, etc...

I've noticed a common thread on most all their forums; people constantly whine and complain and want things NOW and there are constant crys of gloom and doom. Go look at the WoW forums. That game has 8-10 million subscribers, and I read a thread there the other day that said "WoW is dying.". It's ridiculous.

I think all this whining is a product of the instant gratification generation we live in right now. Everything is about getting what you want, when you want, at the exact time you want, and if Bioware does not conform to your vision of the game, the game is "dying" or "There should have been 10 raids at launch and 50 WZs!!!!". The expectations that are put on these Devs are ATRONOMICAL. Either most that complain haven't played an MMO before or are just....thick. Why is there so much hyperbole? The answer probably lies somewhere in the middle. And another thing, people make the mistake of thinking the forums reflect a majority of players views of the game. The fact is that only a fraction of the playerbase of pretty much any MMO actively uses the forums. Those who are likely to be more vocal (and complainers) will use the forums more, and those who are happy with the game (a lot of them) stay away from them.

I'm getting to the point where I don't want to even log on the forums anymore, and I usually love to kill time reading them. It's so tiring to see people being so hyperbolic and unrealistic.

There was a contest a day or 2 ago for best game developer. It was in the final round between bioware and valve.

anyways, Bioware posted on facebook. that they wanted help and to go vote for them.

If you looked under the comments, there was literally 90% bioware hate, "Things like You suck", "Ill never vote for you"

Here is the kicker, Valve posted the exact same link only for them.

Comments: 90% hate posts as well.

The internet just sucks now.

The ones who enjoy playing the games are in the game playing the game (i.e. doing what they enjoy doing). The ones who do not enjoy the game generally just walk away and go looking for the next great thing. Some make a genuine attempt to engage in discussion about how to improve things.

However, there are a minority of skitstovlar (apologies to my Swedish friends if I have spelled that wrong) who want to complain and drag other people's enjoyment down as well - whether out of a selfish desire to deny enjoyment to people because they themselves cannot find enjoyment in that passtime, or just because they are the "pull-wings-off-a-fly" type of person.

There was a contest a day or 2 ago for best game developer. It was in the final round between bioware and valve.

anyways, Bioware posted on facebook. that they wanted help and to go vote for them.

If you looked under the comments, there was literally 90% bioware hate, "Things like You suck", "Ill never vote for you"

Here is the kicker, Valve posted the exact same link only for them.

Comments: 90% hate posts as well.

The funny thing is that most of these people don't realize how stupid they are. They have such a high opinion of themselves because their parents have told them how special they are throughout their whole life. I read a study the other day that basically said stupid people don't realize how stupid they are, they think they are better than most people at most things even if it's something theyre TERRIBLE at.

i made a post similar to this about a month ago.

imo the main reason why new mmo dont last as long as eq/wow and such is because,mainly,of the forums.New players read the forums to see how the game is doing,forum is full of "worst game ever made" and they think twice about buying/subbing.

in swg forums,until the CU at least,the forums were used for 2 things :community threads and auctions,once in a blue moon youd see some drama but not the norm like now.

i think it has a lot to do with the playerbase as well.10 years ago only nerds and hardcore gamers played mmo's because of the time investment required and relative complexity of the games.Nowadays mmo are more or less mainstream and everyone including uncle bob and lil jimmy are playing.

i know for me when i first saw everquest,i was in awe that you could play dnd..NOT ON A TABLE!!couldnt care less if class x did more damage.

The ones who enjoy playing the games are in the game playing the game (i.e. doing what they enjoy doing). The ones who do not enjoy the game generally just walk away and go looking for the next great thing. Some make a genuine attempt to engage in discussion about how to improve things.

However, there are a minority of skitstovlar (apologies to my Swedish friends if I have spelled that wrong) who want to complain and drag other people's enjoyment down as well - whether out of a selfish desire to deny enjoyment to people because they themselves cannot find enjoyment in that passtime, or just because they are the "pull-wings-off-a-fly" type of person.

The posts I love the most are the ones that demand I unsub with them.

LOL

Edited by Azzras

i made a post similar to this about a month ago.

imo the main reason why new mmo dont last as long as eq/wow and such is because,mainly,of the forums.New players read the forums to see how the game is doing,forum is full of "worst game ever made" and they think twice about buying/subbing.

in swg forums,until the CU at least,the forums were used for 2 things :community threads and auctions,once in a blue moon youd see some drama but not the norm like now.

i think it has a lot to do with the playerbase as well.10 years ago only nerds and hardcore gamers played mmo's because of the time investment required and relative complexity of the games.Nowadays mmo are more or less mainstream and everyone including uncle bob and lil jimmy are playing.

i know for me when i first saw everquest,i was in awe that you could play dnd..NOT ON A TABLE!!couldnt care less if class x did more damage.

I absolutely agree with you. I played SWG for years beginning with the CU, and barely anyone complained on those forums at all. It was all about community and enjoying the game, not complaining. I think you're right about MMOs being mainstream now. No one used to play them and you were a super nerd if you did, but now WoW is seen as a normal game. Maybe it's all the console gamers coming here and expecting this game to conform to those? I'm not sure. But opening the game up to casuals and catering to them has hurt the MMO genre.

wasn't too bad in SWG and i frequented those forums all the time. There were some gripes or drama i suppose but not like it is here and i very seldom heard much about WoW.

The community that stayed for the majority of the 8 years was pretty much content with that game and with each other.

A while back I read this Penny Arcade comic that pretty much summed up the whole thing. As far as the OP's concerns, I think it has less to do with instant gratification than it does just how people behave online. SWTOR's forums are definitely pretty horrible but they probably pale in comparison to any news site's "comments" area, or worse still YouTube. When given the ability to speak semi-anonymously people pretty much behave like shaved apes. More than once I've wondered at why MMO companies even make MMO forums at this point.

Definitely there are useful gems now and again (server forums tend to be semi-useful) but whenever friends ask me about my love of MMOs, the best advice I can typically offer is to stay away from the forums.

The reason for all the complaining and hate is that MMO's in general suck compared to single player games and/or coop games.

I have always said that as an experiment, if you take the Massive Multiplayer facet out of an MMO and make it a single player game it would never make the cut.

Thats because too much is sacrificed in order to make it massive multiplayer.

Also, when players pay a subscription each month they are entitled to complain because they want their moneys worth.

Now....unfortunately, it seems that yes...most players are "I WANT IT ALL AND WANT IT NOW" types....and when devs try to make everyone happy they fail....you cannot give everyone what they want and if you try you will fail.

It's human nature unfortunately.

For an eye opening experience, work in customer service for a while. Very few people ever call (as an example) the phone company and say "Hey I just wanted to let you know your product is great and I love you guys"

And as we all know, the internet brings out the worst in people. It's not just the anonymity either, its an overall disconnectedness. People have a tendency to "troll" and flame bait because not only are they safe and sound behind their keyboard, but alot of times they forget that there are living, breathing, feeling humans on the other end.

TLDR: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy :D

Edited by zombiemannsev

The main problem is the whiners don't even know they are whining. I am directing this at every single forum poster, at least that way it hits every intended audience.

Even you, OP, are whining, as you are now whining about whiners.

People need to spend less time trying to fight others on a virtual forum, and enjoying the delicious fruits of thousands of man hours worth of labor, that has gone into this games amazing world.

Don't give a flippity toss about anyone elses opinions, honestly, I do not give a screw what anyone here says, thinks or does, as collectively, forumers are moronic sheep.

Edited by Vahzl

The funny thing is that most of these people don't realize how stupid they are. They have such a high opinion of themselves because their parents have told them how special they are throughout their whole life. I read a study the other day that basically said stupid people don't realize how stupid they are, they think they are better than most people at most things even if it's something theyre TERRIBLE at.

I see dumb people. They're everywhere. They walk around like everyone else. Some of them don't even know they're dumb.

:)

I've played a lot of MMOs. Galaxies, WoW, EQ2, Vanguard, DAoC, Age of Conan, etc...

I've noticed a common thread on most all their forums; people constantly whine and complain and want things NOW and there are constant crys of gloom and doom. Go look at the WoW forums. That game has 8-10 million subscribers, and I read a thread there the other day that said "WoW is dying.". It's ridiculous.

I think all this whining is a product of the instant gratification generation we live in right now. Everything is about getting what you want, when you want, at the exact time you want, and if Bioware does not conform to your vision of the game, the game is "dying" or "There should have been 10 raids at launch and 50 WZs!!!!". The expectations that are put on these Devs are ATRONOMICAL. Either most that complain haven't played an MMO before or are just....thick. Why is there so much hyperbole? The answer probably lies somewhere in the middle. And another thing, people make the mistake of thinking the forums reflect a majority of players views of the game. The fact is that only a fraction of the playerbase of pretty much any MMO actively uses the forums. Those who are likely to be more vocal (and complainers) will use the forums more, and those who are happy with the game (a lot of them) stay away from them.

I'm getting to the point where I don't want to even log on the forums anymore, and I usually love to kill time reading them. It's so tiring to see people being so hyperbolic and unrealistic.

Man no kidding. I remember the boards on SWG and even before all the changes were made it was nothing but posters talking how much the devs suck and don't get it. Think official boards are bad, go over to MMORPG.COM some time. That site is filled with the most vile people you could ever meet. This game gets ripped to shreds over there because its too much like WOW and not like SWG. The problem devs have is being able to sift through all the garbage and find the things that the game really needs.

This.

Hello everyone,

We are closing this thread. While we understand that players can be frustrated with the community at times, please understand that threads like this (even when made with good intentions) tend to result in flame wars and have little room for constructive discussion. In the future, we encourage you to create threads that foster constructive discussion and not ones which criticize the community.

We appreciate your understanding that we've closed this thread!