SWG Jedi vs SWTOR Jedi

Yoverion

(played SWG) SWTOR Jedi everytime. We have more than two options for existing (There it was Light Side Tank or Dark Side DPS/Off tank) there was no Light Side DPS. Also movement was always finicky and while force run was fun and well missed it was hardly precise; I was sold on Force Leap during the beta and still my favorite ability.

No abilities like Force Push, Saber Throw isn't just another ability to toss in at melee range it's relevant and used at range.

Basically Pros of each:

SWG:

LS Jedi made you feel like a god in terms of how much damage you could absorb.

Active saber absorb/reflect

Ranged parry was unique and interesting.

Force Run.

Huge Heal.

Double Bladed Lightsaber (if we are comparing Jedi in SWG just to Knights here)

SWTOR:

Force Leap

Can be a tank OR DPS

Dual Weilding Option

Force Push

(small thing but no saber throw and then hitting people with the saber that is still flying through the air)

Guadian Leap

Overall: more varied abilities.

Short term group buffs/small heal.

I could go into more stuff like appearance tabs and stuff like that but I'd rather not get into difference of game to game just class to class.

Also I'm comparing SWG at the end to SWTOR now. I'm not going to compare SWG at it's peaks to SWTOR currently that's Egypt was a better civilization at its height than Rome was at its beginning.

From a lore side, yeah, making players work to unlock Jedi sounds great, but gameplay wise, making them grind over a dozen professions to unlock said Jedi is just torture. Then again after the NGE you could have Jedi fighting for the Empire. No matter how you try to spin that RP wise, it will never make sense. The Empire systemically murdered the Jedi as part of their takeover.

One thing I liked in SWG over SWTOR when it comes to Jedi is the fact that you could wield a double blade and actually fight with it. I made a Shadow cause I wanted to fight with a double blade and I have 3 melee abilities right now. That's...that's just boring, and impractical for a melee class.

Also, purple color crystals. You could actually FIND them in Galaxies. Also a bit of irony; Jedi in SWG longed for the full outer robe look which was only available to Elder Jedi, while Jedi in SWTOR are stuck with robes because most of the lvl 50 gear for Knights look like utter garbage.

When SWG first launched ppl didn't even know how to become a Jedi (of course it was leaked at some point) It was a secret. I helped a lot of my guildies with it but I never wanted to play Jedi I was TKA all the way!! When the Jedi players heard about "the quest line" to become a Jedi they were a little mad and I didn't blame them at all. Sony said this before they released the quest line. "To all of our Jedi, this is your time" Sony honored them by making them pretty much unbeatable for a while. IMO it was well deserved. I did play a Jedi after nge when they canned tka :( :( . In the end I rolled a Spy (loved pharting things to death). In pre-cu SWG you had to REALLY want to play a Jedi in order to stick with the grind. That in it self made the game more Star Warzy. SWG was a different game for another time, for a different type of person. You can still play it for free. SWGEmu. The space game in SWG kept me subbed for years.

I get a little long winded when it comes to SWG. I have many great memories. It was a lot more social than SWTOR. Maybe it was just the time it came out or the players I don't know.

Edited by Malefik

You can still play it for free. SWGEmu. The space game in SWG kept me subbed for years.

I get a little long winded when it comes to SWG. I have many great memories. It was a lot more social than SWTOR. Maybe it was just the time it came out or the players I don't know.

I can't, because I got the Galaxies trial on a 'best of star wars pc games' bundle and d/l a timecode later on...

and you need the original discs for legal reasons to play the Emu.

You could RP an Imperial Inquisitor. The point of RP is that it's limitless. :p

I said Jedi, not Dark Jedi. It just goes against canon and lore way too much for a LS Force Sensitive to have sided with the Empire after they systematically went about hunting the Jedi to near extinction.

SWG Jedi for: Pre-NGE Jedi were tough to get due to trials and grinding, but the reward in the end, having a fully specced and decked jedi was awesome.

It failed in lore and general appeal for "fun" due to the insane grind.

TOR Jedi: For Lore and Story any day, it makes sense, it fits, and you don't have a sense that the reality you are playing is in some manner perverted and distorted.

In short being a jedi or sith doesn't break with the lore reality of the timeline where in SWG it did.

Edited by Larce_Apollo

Pre-cu FRS rank 4 Jedi Guardian on Valcyn - 31 professions grinded before they even put in Aurilia.

There is no comparison to the "Game Experience" that those Jedi including myself had.

There will never be a "Game Experience" like it again, the gaming culture doesn't have the patience for it.

I was spoiled.

SWtor is the spoiled grand kid of SWG that wasted his inheritance on pickles and chocolates.

Pre-cu FRS rank 4 Jedi Guardian on Valcyn - 31 professions grinded before they even put in Aurilia.

There is no comparison to the "Game Experience" that those Jedi including myself had.

There will never be a "Game Experience" like it again, the gaming culture doesn't have the patience for it.

I was spoiled.

SWtor is the spoiled grand kid of SWG that wasted his inheritance on pickles and chocolates.

I used to fly with the 77th bomb group (insert proud emote here) on Valcyn. /;sigh

ToR Jedi over SWG jedi any day. I loved SWG, had a jedi pre-CU when they were a force to be reckoned with. But ToR animations are better, skill variety is better, combat in general is funner, the overall feel of it plus the addition of story is just a better experience FOR ME.

Though SWG did have hood up and hood down robes, and robes with full sleeves for that matter.