Orange Items

Mordoblood

I don't understand why people seem to jump for the items of orange rarity. They seem to have terrible stats, especially high level armor, that has about 30 armor on it, can someone explain this to me?

Perhaps we could add a little more information for this person. Indeed, the poster above is correct. The key to orange armor is the "modifications" you can put into them. These include armoring, mods, and enhancements along with barrels, hilts, and color crystals. Not all orange gear has all these modification "slots." "Barrels," for example, only work for firearms. "Hilts" work for light sabers.

Each modification has a certain number of "stats." For example, you might get a "mod" that has +10 Aim and +9 Endurance. (I just made that up.) When you install the modification you gain that much of the "stat(istic)" for your character. What kind of mods you put into the equipment depends on your character. A Bounty Hunter needs "Aim" and Endurance where his companion, Mako, needs "Cunning" and Endurance, so you have to customize each character according to his/her needs.

Modifications are commonly purchased with "planetary commendations" from a vendor on the Fleet, and sometimes on a planet. An armoring mod costs 7 commendations. A mod or enhancement costs 2 commendations. You usually have 3 modification slots (This varies a bit) so to fully equip a character you would need from 77-100 planetary commendations. You get planetary commendations by doing quests. Generally stuff like flashpoints and Heroics earn you more commendations than a simple quest. You can also buy modification on the GTN. Sometimes they are cheap, well within reason. Sometimes they can be very expensive. At level 50 the mods are double. Mods are not available at all levels and it is unrealistic to expect to swap them out every time you do level. They should last a few levels before swapping them for new ones would make a significant difference for you.

As you move up through the levels you need to keep replacing your mods with higher-quality ones that will only work when you reach a certain level. This helps increase your very important HP ranking, which helps you stay alive. They also increase the level of damage of your weapons. The formulas here are quite complex and beyond this post.

People will say that you can "do fine with green gear," and that may be true, but orange gear, properly modified, can give you a huge boost. My Bounty Hunter, for example, as a 6KHP at level 30. I put orange gear on him and he became an 8KHP, quite a large increase.

So are you beginning to get the picture here? Orange Gear can allow your character to increase his statistics a great deal. This is just a nutshell explanation. There's a lot more to it, but this is why people jump on orange gear.

Edited by MSchuyler

I always assumed people liked orange gear more because you can keep a look you like permanently ... not because of the stats.

So if you like the look of that Jedi robe you got at level 15, and it's orange quality, you can upgrade mods and keep it relevant all the way to max level. That's why I like orange gear, personally. -shrug-

I always assumed people liked orange gear more because you can keep a look you like permanently ... not because of the stats.

So if you like the look of that Jedi robe you got at level 15, and it's orange quality, you can upgrade mods and keep it relevant all the way to max level. That's why I like orange gear, personally. -shrug-

The only place I've seen where Orange gear and mods weren't superior is in droid parts, which because those are craft-able through cybertech I believe they don't want to make Orange, so it's a Green Item that you can add mods to.

Because of this I think people just buy the blue droid parts not knowing that green movable start showing up at I think level 9 for your droid motors.

I've bolded, underlines and italicized part of the quote.

A lot of people do not realize how custom/orange gear works. They will look at an orange/custom heavy leggings shell (shell as in no mods) and wonder why anybody would pay a lot of credits for a piece of gear that only has 32 armor. I guess they stop reading when they see armor=32 and they dont see the stuff that says armoring: open, mod: open, enhancement: open. Most people will use a bit of common sense and figure out on their own that since it says 'open' for those 3 things, it must mean that something goes there...perhaps the word that is right next to it give a hint as to the name of the item!!! **gasps** The next logical thing one would think is "where would one find an armoring, mod and enhancement" ohh i know...

The only place I've seen where Orange gear and mods weren't superior is in droid parts, which because those are craft-able through cybertech I believe they don't want to make Orange, so it's a Green Item that you can add mods to.

Because of this I think people just buy the blue droid parts not knowing that green movable start showing up at I think level 9 for your droid motors.

Commendation vendors also sell moddable droid parts and that stuff has orange item text. Some organic companions also come with or get rewarded weapons that are moddable yet have green text. Using item text colors to determine quality, or if it moddable or unmoddable is not really the best way to go about it. If you want to see if something is better quality compare stats or enable companion comparative gear tooltips. If you want to see if that piece of green or purple gear in your inventory is moddable mouseover it and see if it has slots.

How do people not get how moddable gear works when there is a quest that explains it? It's not even one that you can miss like the AC quests.

I'm with ya... It's why I put so low a value on Armormech and Synthweaving because once you have a mod-able suit, it's just a matter of keeping up with the mods/armorings etc.... if Synthweaving/Armormech didn't have the ability to make augments in my view they'd be worthless. It's why I tell people Cybertech should be your first crew crafting skill on your first toon of a server... after leveling to at least 41 that is.

It's not about the credits you can make in a crewskill, it's how much you'll save with the crewskill. The market is already flooded with people making items and then selling them for a profit, the competition is high and unless you constantly farm for mats you're not going to turn a profit, better off just selling the mats if it's all about the credits to ya.

I don't understand your sentiment. If it's just the looks you are after, why would you buy and install the mods, which do not change the looks? When you say "upgrade mods and keep it relevant" that is ALL about stats. That's the only reason to do it. But it's more than that. You have to do it right. If you're pouring a bunch of Cunning Mods in a character that needs Aim, you're just making it harder on yourself.

So you say it's only about the looks for you, then you say you do the mods. That's a contradiction.

I don't understand your sentiment. If it's just the looks you are after, why would you buy and install the mods, which do not change the looks? When you say "upgrade mods and keep it relevant" that is ALL about stats. That's the only reason to do it. But it's more than that. You have to do it right. If you're pouring a bunch of Cunning Mods in a character that needs Aim, you're just making it harder on yourself.

So you say it's only about the looks for you, then you say you do the mods. That's a contradiction.

... What? I buy an orange item for the looks FIRST. I don't buy it simply because it is moddable. If I think it's ugly, I couldn't care less if it's moddable because I don't want to wear it.

If all that people cared about was the ability to put awesome mods in a piece of gear, nobody would buy some of the orange cartel stuff for millions of credits -- but they do, because they like the looks AND they like that they can keep the look without gimping themselves.

Just because I don't want to be wholly gimp doesn't mean I don't buy orange gear for its looks. (You CAN easily level in greens ... I did it before orange gear was implemented when I first tried the game.) I also have no idea why you think I'd put mods that don't benefit me in any way on my gear. I'm vain, not stupid. ;)

Edited by Sarielle

No doubt there are people who can level without any gear at all. But the entire point of Orange Gear, and responsive to the OP's initial question, is that Orange Gear is modifiable to the point that, without question, it is "better" than Green Gear. It matters little WHICH set of Orange Gear you have, so you can indulge yourself and spend money on what you like as much as you want. You don't even need to buy stuff on the CM. Everything is available on the GTN. If you like Gold Scalene, you'll pay about 5 million for the entire set. Or you can go with a Relentless Pursuer set for 1 million or so. Put the same mods in them and you have a roughly equivalent set of armor.

You may be buying it because you like it, but don't pretend you are buying it JUST because you like it. You're putting mods in it like everyone else, and the only reason to do that is make it stronger. You're still taking advantage of the reason Orange Gear exists in the first place. It can be made stronger than your average dropped gear.

The difference is considerable. Take an average toon through Level 30 with Green Gear. As you point out, there's plenty that drops in the first 30 levels. He'll be at about 6000 HP at this time. Now put Orange Gear on him and mod him up. Suddenly he's at about 8000 HP. How many levels does it take to get from 4000 HP to 6000 HP? Several. Orange Gear does it in one sitting. That's equivalent to a several level increase. It means you can play a couple of levels above your own successfully. It means you'll have an easier time of it. It gives you a serious advantage.

So it's kind of amusing to hear claims that Orange Gear is purchased only for its looks. It's like putting on a suit of armor weighing a hundred pounds and saying you like it because it's shiny and has these cool gold stripes. The fact that it stops bullets? Nah! That's a secondary consideration--even as you madly add extra bullet proof padding as fast as you can. And you'll be doing that all the way up, too, because you have to keep swapping out those invisible mods or lose your advantage. That means spending all your planetary commendations and likely a significant number of credits, too. THEN we get to augmentation and burn through some more, basically everything you have earned in the game.

All so you can look pretty? I don't think so.

All so you can look pretty? I don't think so.

I have no idea why you're being so aggressive about this, lol. Yes, really, it's so I can look pretty. I'm genuinely curious why that concept has you so riled.

If the mods I put in orange gear made it equivalent to green, then I'd still choose orange gear. If I get flashpoint drops, I pay credits to rip out the mods and put them into the pieces I like. I do not buy mods off the GTN. I buy them with planetary comms every 5-10 levels because what else am I going to spend them on? I do not augment, though I'm sure I eventually will at level 55.

Oh. And even though I have silver-blue hawkeye colour crystals unlocked via collections (the ones you can use even as a lowbie that have max stats) ... I still use yellow on my level 25ish sorcerer alt, because that's what matches her outfit. It's usually a mistake to assume everyone's motivations are the same as yours.

Edited by Sarielle

Some people do buy the mod outfits first for looks and second for upgrading. Just because you might not is no reason to get upset.

I take a look at the top or skirt first before I get it. If I don't like how it looks on me I will not take it or buy it.

Nobody but this guy is "upset." The whole point of his post is to brag about how good he is. The whole idea behind modifiable armor is to raise your stats, but this guy is SO GOOD that he doesn't have to worry about such trivialities and buys it just because it looks cool. Man, is he good or what?

This is New Player Help. So you're supposed to help people here, right? The OP's question was essentially, "What's all this about Orange Gear?" This guy jumps in here and claims to buy it only for its looks and BTW he can Green Gear up to 55 no problem, so that's a secondary consideration. One should be above such mundane considerations, he says (cough) while stuffing it with mods like everyone else (cough).

Do you think that answers OP's question about Orange Gear? Not only does it not answer it; it's misleading. If OP were to actually listen to this guy he would go away from here with a completely erroneous impression of Orange Gear--to the point that it could hurt him. Eventually he'd come back and ask, "What's this about modifications?" Well, how about we tell him about that NOW so we can actually be helpful to him?

I have no problem if this guy buys armor for its looks. I couldn't care less. It's just that he is using this as an opportunity to brag about himself, when it isn't about him at all.

Nobody but this guy is "upset." The whole point of his post is to brag about how good he is. The whole idea behind modifiable armor is to raise your stats, but this guy is SO GOOD that he doesn't have to worry about such trivialities and buys it just because it looks cool. Man, is he good or what?

This is New Player Help. So you're supposed to help people here, right? The OP's question was essentially, "What's all this about Orange Gear?" This guy jumps in here and claims to buy it only for its looks and BTW he can Green Gear up to 55 no problem, so that's a secondary consideration. One should be above such mundane considerations, he says (cough) while stuffing it with mods like everyone else (cough).

Do you think that answers OP's question about Orange Gear? Not only does it not answer it; it's misleading. If OP were to actually listen to this guy he would go away from here with a completely erroneous impression of Orange Gear--to the point that it could hurt him. Eventually he'd come back and ask, "What's this about modifications?" Well, how about we tell him about that NOW so we can actually be helpful to him?

I have no problem if this guy buys armor for its looks. I couldn't care less. It's just that he is using this as an opportunity to brag about himself, when it isn't about him at all.

Actually MSchuyler, it looks like you are upset. I just don't understand why...

The OP wrote:

I don't understand why people seem to jump for the items of orange rarity. They seem to have terrible stats, especially high level armor, that has about 30 armor on it, can someone explain this to me?

You replied with your excellent post about how mods work (good job, by the way).

Then Sarielle said the following:

Read what Sarielle wrote again. Now read it again.

Has it dawned on you that he is saying the same thing you are while also explaining to the OP that orange gear allows to get the look you want AND still keep your gear upgraded by changing the mods (just as you explained)?

Has it dawned on you that the phrase "not because of the stats" was in reply to the OP's comment about "They seem to have terrible stats, especially high level armor, that has about 30 armor on it, ..."?

It has? Good. ;)

Nobody but this guy is "upset."

-snip

:confused:

Is that really what you're getting out of my post? I can't tell if I'm being trolled here or not.

Has it dawned on you that he is saying the same thing you are while also explaining to the OP that orange gear allows to get the look you want AND still keep your gear upgraded by changing the mods (just as you explained)?

Has it dawned on you that the phrase "not because of the stats" was in reply to the OP's comment about "They seem to have terrible stats, especially high level armor, that has about 30 armor on it, ..."?

It has? Good. ;)

^ Yeah basically this, lol. I dunno, MSchuyler. I think you're going out of your way to be offended on this one. :)

Why don't we ask OP if he got the information he needed, ok bud? Which was a good and complete answer?

1. I buy Orange Gear because I like it and it looks cool.

or.

2. Orange Gear is modifiable so that its stats help you level and are generally stronger than equivalent Green Gear that drops as you do. And this is how you do it and at least some of the considerations you need to address.

Which answer is more useful to someone who has no idea what Orange Gear does? Which will help him more? Which will help him understand the overall "system" more completely? Which answer addresses the question and which answer amounts to self-promotion with no useful information? Does New Player Help mean this is a venue to come brag about yourself and your prowess with the game? Or does it mean, you know, helping new players?

You decide.

Edited by MSchuyler

Why don't we ask OP if he got the information he needed, ok bud? Which was a good and complete answer?

1. I buy Orange Gear because I like it and it looks cool.

or.

2. Orange Gear is modifiable so that its stats help you level and are generally stronger than equivalent Green Gear that drops as you do. And this is how you do it and at least some of the considerations you need to address.

Which answer is more useful to someone who has no idea what Orange Gear does? Which will help him more? Which will help him understand the overall "system" more completely? Which answer addresses the question and which answer amounts to self-promotion with no useful information? Does New Player Help mean this is a venue to come brag about yourself and your prowess with the game? Or does it mean, you know, helping new players?

You decide.

Dude seriously, i think you are the only person who is getting the impression that this Sarielle person is bragging. Some people do pick custom gear for looks first, the fact that you can upgrade that gear all the way to level cap is just a bonus. For people that dont care about looks and only about functionality there is page 1-10 of the GTN's adaptive armor section.

The more you talk the more you come off sounding like an a**hole. I would tell you to just knock it off and stop over analyzing Sarielles post and if you felt he/she left something out then you could have just added to it. Instead you get into a two page pissing match because you misinterpreted what he/she was saying. But whatevers do what you want...me, Sarielle and whoever comes along will just kinda sit here with our 'uhh what is wrong with this guy' expression while you continue to rant. In the mean time it looks like the OP has lost interest or has been scared away.

Edited by swtonewbie