SWTOR Is No Longer Supported By Most Sites

LibertySol

It already kicks WoW's butt. At least for me it does.

I'm sure it does for others. I know for a FACT that the reason a lot of my friends dont play this game is because they haven't given it a chance--they are afraid that theyll like it too much, and then all their years of WoW would have been wasted.

This, this, so much this. I have said the same thing in so many other threads. I was addicted to WoW. Made the idea of any other MMO silly to me. After they dumbed WoW down to this pre-school game. I started to find myself breaking away. No longer being challenged or having fun. Once the 5.0 changes went live I tried very hard to remain interested but WoW was lost to me. So I said goodbye to people I have played with for years. People I consider friends.

That in and of itself is the hardest thing. Letting go of not only your characters but the people you know. Do I wish they would all come to play SWToR. Yes I do and they tried back in the day. WoW pulled them back for good. It lost its grip on me. Now SWToR is fun to play. For me it is everything I am looking for in a game and I know with support it can be much more.

We all just have to stop the QQ and start showing some damn support for a change. I know that isn't easy because most of the people who come to forums only have issues to vent but I come here to read when I can't play. Not to QQ!

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you honestly think SWTOR didn't fail it's community I really don't know what to say to that. That's fine. There will always be die hard fans who will vehemently defend their chosen product and I understand that. I also understand there are a lot of people who tear through a games endgame and then claim it's bad. Those people suck no question about it.

But SWTOR failed the playerbase. It's the biggest failure in gaming history (maybe entertainment history). SWTOR just doesn't have enough content. It is extremely similar to WoW and the hot key based MMOs before it. It's incredibly static and doesn't feel alive at all. EA/BioWare/I don't care whoever is in charge absolutely sucks at communicating with their fanbase. The game was released before it was ready. They push updates incredibly slowly. The Hero Engine is absolutely terrible, incredibly prone to bugs, and can't handle large numbers of people (which for an MMO is sort of important). Even the story when compared to other single player games (some in BioWare's own catalogue!) like Grand Theft Auto, Mass Effect, and KOTOR isn't that great.

The worst part is the game is fun. If it launched with patch 1.2, kept up consistent updates, didn't spend so much on VO, and actually communicated with their fans, and didn't use the hero engine it'd be in a lot better shape.

If you think SWTOR didn't fail the playerbase I think you are blind to it's problems. None of the things I just brought have to do with rabid fanboys tearing the game down. No one likes rabid fanboys but to blame them for the condition SWTOR is is absolutely ridiculous and is an insult to the intelligence of anyone who's quit this game or plans to quit this game.

A bit too much hyperbole, but I agree.

;)

:p

SWTOR has problems. Every single MMO in history has problems, particularly in its first year (or two). There are a *lot* of things about TOR that absolutely drive me up the wall. But the sheer level of ridiculous hatred and negativity it has generated by the vocal minority is pretty, well... ridiculous.

If you don't like the game, there's nothing wrong with that. I'm willing to bet the majority of people who quit were just like "meh, not the game for me." I can think of about 10 MMOs I tried and just couldn't get into and unsubscribed without a fuss.

With TOR, there seems to be this entire culture based around vehemently and violently hating it. TORtanic wasn't cute back in December and it's sure not cute now. Calling it the biggest failure in MMO or entertainment history is utterly laughable.

If you don't like it then unsubscribe. If you like it enough to stay subscribed but think it has things wrong with it that need improving, how about trying some positivity for a change? Honestly, if I was thinking about trying out this game I would be scared off by the level of hatred on the forums.

So, the same people who complain about the game being "dead" with "no players" are probably the ones that drive a certain percentage of those players away to begin with.

The most telling thing right now, is that this forum. The passion, pro or con, is dead.

Most are just burning time in other games and waiting for F2P. Darth Hater is still going, I listen, yet even it sounds like a group of people resigned to a doomed cause. Some episodes have sounded like I did in our guild chat at times, half resentful of the game having flopped as it is seen as having done.

I've been trying to find an up to date calculator for a while and I couldn't so I did a little digging. What I found wasn't pretty: TOR is no longer supported by any major website.

http://www.torhead.com/ Doesn't have up to date calculators and hasn't had them since June. Most items are still from beta. Most items don't have any comments. And the forums are pretty much a ghost town. They haven't even mentioned 1.4 support. Not to mention this site is still in Beta and it's been like 9 months.They updated their skill calculators when 1.4 hit.

http://www.swtor-spy.com/ The top 2 pieces of news on swtor spy are "Why SWTOR failed" and "SWTOR - The End" the latter basically saying the site runners are going into maintenance mode and only because they invested a lot into the site. Not a big loss, swtor-spy was unreliable outside of datacrons, their titles page... ugh, can you spell missing achievements?

http://swtor.askmrrobot.com/ They haven't had an update since late April going by the change logs. I guess that says it all. Updated this week.

http://www.swtorface.com/ This site is really awesome and it's still being updated. But the content is almost non existent. It's a great site for companion related content but otherwise it's just news and aggregates information from other sites. There's almost no comments on many of their posts and the ones that do have any feedback are less than 4 comments each.

http://db.darthhater.com/ This is the only site I think that is pushing out content seriously. And imo it's the best website out there for TOR. The content they are pushing shows they still care about the game. Unfortunately they like swtorface have almost no community. But that could change if one day BioWare somehow brings this game back from the brink. db.darthhater [datamines and then never organizes their items based on how the gear goes live (Denova gear = Dread Guard and shouldn't still be in their database).

However if anyone knows a great website that is still active post it here. I'm done with TOR anyway but for those that read this it'd be cool for them.

I put my comments in red, basically so many of the sites that are slowing down were downright misleading rather than useful.

Edited by AshlaBoga

I cannot agree more. Shava is right.

That's the point.

I participated in "both sides" of the game, trying my first ever PVP experience in life.

I liked it, even with the situations those "Serious PVP Players" - as they call themselves all geared like Titans roll over me thousand times because i cannot stand alone against two or three of them.

They are being proud of it actually :):)

But anyway:

I guess it's just a sign'o'the times. Large groups of kiddos who have all days and months to sit behind a computer and talk about what's good and bad and why this game sucks. (one can ask WHO pays for their subscriptions?)

But SWTOR is a GOOD GAME.

It is just designed for somewhat more matured people.

When I saw the first ever Star Wars movie I was EIGHT. Those days no one literally could even DREAM about being able to LIVE it, live it like now we can in all SW games.

Those who saw movies (or read books, played first games like X-Wing) later, when the SW machine was on full speed, cannot have that perspective.

The only one they have is WOW (or other MMO) related. NOT Star Wars related (environments, worlds, force, all that mystics) but simply plain computer gaming related perspective. The world is not important important is how quick they smash other players and get the newer pixels on their characters.

And perhaps that's a reason they are complaining. They do not care about what the game is about, they care about percentages of healing or DPS instead of seeing what they can explore. What can the LIVE.

I seriously DO NOT care whether the PVP is balanced or not, whether one class is 2,6778% better than another and if i can stealth or not, what i care is whether the story is properly written (believable), SWTOR mostly is (despite few really idiotic situations when you have to fight gargantuan beast that normally no Jedi or Sith would even bother with - because saber skills would never work there. In those occasions some force tricks should be useful - but those are NOT given to us). Well, SWTOR mostly is up to it. The story is VERY GOOD. And the voicing and cinematics, etc.

That's what I want. Nothing more.

Some complain about game engine or low framerate or lagging or whatever performance issue. - I guess they really need to upgrade their machines because I can play this game on either low end or high end laptops.

Seriously I played it on 4 years old HP laptop with low end graphic card. I loose the details, but I COULD PLAY!

Not to say a word about Alienware that simply does not seem to be bothered by SWTOR.

I participate in forums, trying to say something constructive here and there, but since it looks like massive boring flood of "whining and trolling" I guess I saw enough of it.

Now I guess I will simply PLAY THE GAME as usual, and patiently wait for new content.

That's was it.

Amazing post my friend and I have to agree with everything you said. I believe that once I read the article written by some doctor who calls these kids today generation I or generation ME. It's always about them, when something goes wrong it's always other people's fault and they think that no matter what the challenge is they can do it but the other guy screwed it up so it was not done.

This attitude however is in a way our/older generations fault. Remember the days when they were telling us that it's not OK to say "you can't do this or that" to your kids? When the philosophy was to encourage your kids to reach for the stars and they can all be astronauts if they wish to be one? Well that backfired and we got a generation of spoiled brats who think they are entitled to everything right away. They spend 4 years at the university getting a degree (during which time they study for about 2 weeks total and the rest is partying and drinking) and then they get out of college and go: "Ok I have a degree where is my 6 figure salary?" Give me give me give me...

The truth is not everyone can be an astronaut. Not everyone can be a race car driver, football player, actor or even a gamer. The sooner we start preaching this again the better our future will be. I really think this problem is far beyond this one game and gaming in general. It is a reflection of a failed generation and us as their mentors/parents.

Edited by MarkoJinn

Amazing post my friend and I have to agree with everything you said. I believe that once I read the article written by some doctor who calls these kids today generation I or generation ME. It's always about them, when something goes wrong it's always other people's fault and they think that no matter what the challenge is they can do it but the other guy screwed it up so it was not done.

This attitude however is in a way our/older generations fault. Remember the days when they were telling us that it's not OK to say "you can't do this or that" to your kids? When the philosophy was to encourage your kids to reach for the stars and they can all be astronauts if they wish to be one? Well that backfired and we got a generation of spoiled brats who think they are entitled to everything right away. They spend 4 years at the university getting a degree (during which time they study for about 2 weeks total and the rest is partying and drinking) and then they get out of college and go: "Ok I have a degree where is my 6 figure salary?" Give me give me give me...

The truth is not everyone can be an astronaut. Not everyone can be a race car driver, football player, actor or even a gamer. The sooner we start preaching this again the better our future will be. I really think this problem is far beyond this one game and gaming in general. It is a reflection of a failed generation and us as their mentors/parents.

so its THE KIDS fault, even though u build the world they live in,,yea humans have a weird habit,,

we expect to to eat , drink and breathe after were born,,and the sheer NUMBER of persons doing that

are causing trouble already,,if u double the number sheep, without doubling their space and resources too,,

they will starve and get sick,,or fight

about entitlement: i dont deserve the best gear,,i never asked for it

but i payed $ to play a good star wars game

its barely star wars , and its not good

so u have to find a smart way to get the missing subs,,that shouldnt be too hard

Edited by simplius

I just finished reading this thread and had to post a reply. I have to agree that for some reason this game has inspired a kneejerk love it or hate it response from the gaming community. I don't know if anyone out there is truely MEH about this game. I, for one, truely enjoy the game. The last game I enjoyed this much was Asheron's Call, which is going back a few years. I have been subbed since March and have no intention of unsubbing from this game. I am a Star Wars fan, and so my perception may be a bit slanted in favor of this game for that reason. I am also an admitted altaholic, as well as a bibliophile (look it up, it's a cool word), which would likely explain why I am not concerned with "end game" content. There were a couple comments people had mentioned that drew my attention an made me go :rak_02:. The first was:

"single most fail game experience a human being can have in MMOs really"

and the second was:

"It's the biggest failure in gaming history (maybe entertainment history)."

I have three words for the ones who made these comments. Star Wars Galaxies. :eek:

I can't blame anybody that gives up on a fan site for this game and moves on to something that might make them money or at least generate interested input.

Unfortunately this game turned out to be exactly what I expected, a whole lot of hype over nothing. People started those dozens of sites because they expected the bazillion people BW kept swearing they were going to have playing to all be looking for places to go for info and chat time. That amount of e-traffic generates a lot of ad revenue for the site; if nobody goes to your site, nobody is going to pay you to advertise their crap on it, so you either sink or swim over to the game that actually has a bazillion players. Looks like the sites are going about half and half.

I'm only here because it's Star Wars, if GW2 wasn't all bows and arrows and witches, wizards and dragons I'd be over there in a hot second too. I can't can't blame people that gave up on this game already.

Edited by bahdasz

SWTOR has problems. Every single MMO in history has problems, particularly in its first year (or two). There are a *lot* of things about TOR that absolutely drive me up the wall. But the sheer level of ridiculous hatred and negativity it has generated by the vocal minority is pretty, well... ridiculous.

If you don't like the game, there's nothing wrong with that. I'm willing to bet the majority of people who quit were just like "meh, not the game for me." I can think of about 10 MMOs I tried and just couldn't get into and unsubscribed without a fuss.

With TOR, there seems to be this entire culture based around vehemently and violently hating it. TORtanic wasn't cute back in December and it's sure not cute now. Calling it the biggest failure in MMO or entertainment history is utterly laughable.

If you don't like it then unsubscribe. If you like it enough to stay subscribed but think it has things wrong with it that need improving, how about trying some positivity for a change? Honestly, if I was thinking about trying out this game I would be scared off by the level of hatred on the forums.

So, the same people who complain about the game being "dead" with "no players" are probably the ones that drive a certain percentage of those players away to begin with.

The issue with SWTOR is that many had high expectations with this game. It was expensive, it has one of the most well known IPs in the world, MMO players talking for years about the next generation MMO and some hoped SWTOR will be that, old SWG players were looking for a new Star Wars MMO which might be better than SWG. But all we got was some kind of WoW is Space, which missed most of features players expected a modern MMO to have from the start. Worse, there was not enough elder game PvE content after launce there (and MMO players expect that such content is there), PvP players could just watch how Ilum was killed soon after release and they never got anything to replace it, the RP crowd also never got chat bubbles or sitting or things that most other MMOs have already at launch. SWTOR was basically not able to make any MMO player happy, and the single players, who just looked into SWTOR to get their KOTOR 3+ also left at some point when they had finished the class story.

The websites, OP posted are mostly used by hard core gamers, who do the math and numbers crunching. But those players had no home in SWTOR, BioWare didn't gave them enough to stay around.

And now with the f2p model, which looks like F2P members will not feel like they are welcome here, BioWare is shoting themselves again in the foot. They just don't get the MMO market, and especially those players who are able to draw in others with their opinions.

The issue with SWTOR is that many had high expectations with this game. It was expensive, it has one of the most well known IPs in the world, MMO players talking for years about the next generation MMO and some hoped SWTOR will be that, old SWG players were looking for a new Star Wars MMO which might be better than SWG. But all we got was some kind of WoW is Space, which missed most of features players expected a modern MMO to have from the start. Worse, there was not enough elder game PvE content after launce there (and MMO players expect that such content is there), PvP players could just watch how Ilum was killed soon after release and they never got anything to replace it, the RP crowd also never got chat bubbles or sitting or things that most other MMOs have already at launch. SWTOR was basically not able to make any MMO player happy, and the single players, who just looked into SWTOR to get their KOTOR 3+ also left at some point when they had finished the class story.

The websites, OP posted are mostly used by hard core gamers, who do the math and numbers crunching. But those players had no home in SWTOR, BioWare didn't gave them enough to stay around.

And now with the f2p model, which looks like F2P members will not feel like they are welcome here, BioWare is shoting themselves again in the foot. They just don't get the MMO market, and especially those players who are able to draw in others with their opinions.

I am a RPer first and a gamer second and had SWG not been cancelled, I would be playing both games simultaneously. I loved SWG--no other game has come close to giving me an immersive, customizable place in a game world like it has--but I didn't ever expect TOR to be SWG2 just because it was about Star Wars. I expected a WoW-style game right from the start. And though the game is one of the least RP-friendly games in existence I have still managed to make many RPing friends and have awesome Star Wars stories with. Beyond that, I love this game's PvE and enjoy flashpoints and raids.

So, no, your blanket statement of "SWTOR was basically not able to make any MMO player happy" is inaccurate, since according to your post, as a RPer and an ex-SWG lover I should loathe this game--and I don't. I do think it has a LOT of problems! But I choose optimism and hoping those problems are fixed in the future, rather than proclaiming the game will be dead in a year or other such nonsense that fills these forums. :)

Just because some people set themselves up for unrealistic expectations doesn't mean the game is fundamentally flawed. It is a new game in vanilla. It will change over the years--and it will last for years. If Age of Conan of all games already has plans extending all the way to new content in 2014, I don't think TOR is in any danger for the foreseeable future... especially not now, with new Star Wars movies they can milk for players.

If SWG had not been closed in a last minute attempt to herd its remaining players onto this trainwreck....

I'd still be paying for 4 accounts to play my 9 toons there, which was 1000 times better than playing 9 toons on one account for free here.

What does that tell you, BW/EA?

This game half sucks, so people rolled out as soon as something better came along. Those player sites rely on players for information as well... if nobody's playing, nobody's contributing.

And let's be honest.... all of the "wiki-style" sites out there are crap compared to SWG Wiki or Zam as well. They all have bad layouts, bad search engines and 99% of the info was just copied and pasted off of SWTOR.com word for word anyway. Wiki had really good, player written, begining to end walk throughs, easy to use databases.

In stead of making useful and user friendly sites everybody went for cool looking and easy to build... so nobody wanted to use them. Seriously, trying to find out any information on a quest on TORhead or Darthhater is an exercise in futility, it's impossible to just go there and see how a quest runs beginning to end, you have to look at each location and sublocation, and then you still can't find what you're looking for, and in the end it's a huge time-wasting pain in the ***.

The only really good site for looking for actual TOR information right now is Dulfy.net. They actually do research and post informative content, rather than just being a regurgitation of stuff from the official site and a million incomplete and useless references to items they found in the .tre files.

Edited by bahdasz

I am still amazed by the staggering hate towards SWToR.

I for one think that there is no other MMO that is even close to how good SWToR is. SWToR is simply the absolute best MMO available at the moment. Does it have bugs? Yes, of course. Is the customer service flawless? No, not a chance. But it still beats everything currently available or that has been available prior to this point by miles and miles.

This game seriously rocks the house.

Awesome PvP, tons and tons and tons of PvE content, great story, awesome replayability, super fun in all ways.

Voice over is awesome and I will probably never play an MMO without it ever again.

... according to me.

When you write that the game is boring or the graphic sucks or the story is bad or what-EVER it's YOUR OPINION. Nothing more. You can never claim that SWToR is a bad game generally. You might claim that YOU think it's bad. I love it.

You cannot be so general when you speak about something.

SWToR can be summed up like this:

SWToR is an MMO that is on par with most of the MMO released around it. BW has chosen not to innovate a lot in game play, most of it we have seen before. The only new thing we see is Voice Acting when you pick up almost every quest in the game and an evolving story line for each major class which drives your character forward.

It's not a huge success and the hype that surrounded the game prior to launch was greatly inflated for such a mainstream MMO. Customer Service from BW does not live up to expectations for a game of this size and the development team does not get enough time to bug-test new patches.

Overall a fairly mainstream MMO that will make some people very happy but nothing that will go down in the books as something extraordinary apart from voice acting.

However if it's a good or bad game is ONLY in the eyes of the player.

I say it's the best MMO game created so far. By miles.

Grinding is pretty much like playing PACMAN.

If you want to keep customers a long time the less GRINDING they have to do the better.

Any game with Grinding is doomed. I left WoW for the same reason as after a year of it no one can continue sanely.

Yet millions are still playing WoW and do continue so obvioulsy grinding in itself isn't a show stopper for most people. By association this then can't be the reason for SWTOR's struggles.

I am still amazed by the staggering hate towards SWToR.

I wouldn't say SWTOR is the best game I've ever played, probably not even the best MMO I've ever played but I still enjoy it.

It's chief problem when it comes to the venom spewed on it by people was/is expectations. People who love star wars stuff tend to have fairly lofty expectations. Bioware just didn't meet (even continues to not meet) those expectations. The interesting thing is, that isn't Bioware's fault for the most part. Human beings have a tremendous capacity to look for data that supports their preset views and ignore data that conflicts with it. With expectations so high it is almost inevitable that SWTOR would be a fail in a lot of peoples eyes.

If one can get beyond these prejudices, SWTOR is really not a bad game and in fact quite good in some respects. You're just never going to convice the haters of this.............even though many of them still play the game as evidenced by them posting in these very forums.

And of course, if you say anything at all in support of the game you're fanboy in the haters eyes. So I'm a fanboy I suppose.

Good comparison for any new MMO should be EVE Online. Started small, great fan base, great relations with the players. Has Grown and still maintains most of what has made it great. Keeping things new and fresh , on a single server so only one community not a split community. Large and expansive theme park sand box. A balance of safe areas and open world PVP on a massive scale and decent graphics. Just wish it wasn't so addicting that my wife would let me play it again.

WOW as the gold standard is great for the quick buck, but if a group actually loved the game they made WOW is not that standard.

Edited by DigitalEOD
fat fingers

Actually upon thinking on it further, I had to respond to this more thoughtfully.

The sites you are talking about are, I think except for DarthHater (which is Curse, Inc. which is a multi-national dotcom, 19mil hits a month) all at best semi-pro and mostly all fan sites. Fan sites are ephemeral in many games.

SWTOR is in the news every day by the professional games press, for good or ill.

If the games press were an old-style journalism sort of thing, without comment streams, SWTOR's coverage would probably look much better than it does. However, comment streams make every AAA game out there look like crap, particularly the ones that don't have very crafty and clever social media folks who are both very adept and close to the fans. EA/Bioware seem to just have money at the corporate level, and do neither of those other things all that well.

But the current fashion in MMORPGs is that a vocal minority of gamers who love to guild up and raid -- let's call them the Piranhas -- dominate the social media metagame of the online world of MMOs. They spend all their free time that they are not gaming on Twitter, in comment streams, filing scathing reviews on Metacritic, you name it. Their hobby is to be gaming hipsters, essentially -- to see how snarkily and cuttingly they can shred a game to show off how sophisticated a gamer they are among their leet peers.

These are the armchair generals of MMOs.

So as a game emerges from pre-beta, these guys (and they are by vast majority male IRL) are scoping it like Fantasy Football dudes evaluating draft picks. They start talking about how it is or isn't like WOW, how it's prospects are to be F2P or why it will suck before the company publishes any terms at all. A cinematic trailer at E3 will erupt a crapstorm of vitriol. A change of devs will start doomsaying avalanches. A choice of distribution channels. From a bunch of idiots who really at root know zip about running a business. They mostly just like to listen to each other mouth off wise.

So when head start comes or beta or pre-beta, these guys descend like the school of piranha. They will get in as soon as possible. They will insist on top of the art graphics, performance, story, content, support -- but they will SKIP all of the two years of content that the devs put into the game.

Within two days, they have raced each other to level cap, where they will be ************ to the universe about how:

1. It's too easy to get to level cap
  2. there weren't enough side quests even though they didn't stop to smell the npcs along the way
  3. the story (which they didn't read) sucked
  4. the end game is grindy and too much *and* not enough like WOW

And at this point, with all the variations on the theme (I'm sure you can come up with all the rest) they will call on the producers and the devs to have a summit with all the guild leaders to fix the doomed game, because only they can save the game. They will travel to Iceland or Austin or something, drink themselves silly, insult the female gender in any way they can in the majority, further confuse and ruin the game for crafters, roleplayers, people who like story, people who *do* spend time on content and so on, and then upon returning to the game and the forums, say no one listened to them....

And leave to destroy the next game.

I am tired of it. SWTOR did not fail the players. EA and a segment of players failed SWTOR. And that segment of players is failing the industry and will be making it impossible for a AAA game to get VC money within two years, I suspect. It's not a pretty picture in the industry right now.

/* retired game CEO and VP Marketing/Bizdev */

** Just thought I would make a post and say I 100% agree. The above is so true its sad. Anyways going back in game :p

That text wall from shava that everyone's quoting in full has problems. It's full of sour grapes about some supposed segment of players, which is only actually important if you obsess on those things.

SWTOR is a perfectly fine game. The problem it has had from Day One is that there are about 350,000 people who will pay to play a well-designed and well-run Star Wars MMO. Not ten million, not one million - about a third of a million. But EA/BioWare and LucasArts conned themselves into believing they could reach WoW-sized numbers because, well, Star Wars. And they invested accordingly, and for a while sold boxes accordingly. People installed from those boxes, tried to play the game for a while - and then everybody who wasn't one of the 350,000 left.

Gamers being gamers, we naturally have to listen to a hundred cockamamie theories for the "failure," that it's because Imperial Hat is bugged, because they won't let you get into a 3-way with Cedrax and Holiday, etc, etc. And of course TOR had some stumbles, like most new titles. But really the game itself is fine. It was just never going to stay much bigger than it is now - and that was not the publisher's plan. Everything follows from that. Even now, they think that Free-To-Play is going to open the floodgates and make it a huge game. Watch and see.

I have to agree with most of the things Shava wrote. I witnessed it so many times irl among some friends and acquaintances:

1st. They'll talk about that new mmorpg months prior to its launch and they'll play in every beta phases.

2nd. They'll preorder it asap and stay awake all night before the launching day.

3rd. They'll burn through the mmo without reading the story, without taking the time to look around in the maps, without socializing, without trying the other classes, etc.

4rd. After 2-6 days, they're already at max level. After 1-3 weeks, they're already max geared and guess what? Yep, they are already totally bored.

5rd. They'll start to complain a lot and write many really negative comments about that mmo in forums/chat/websites.

6rd. They'll unsub.

*Repeat steps 1 to 6* until death...

Thank you for this. I agree 100% with what you wrote based on what I've witnessed in this game and WoW over the last 6 years. Personally, I love this game. I love the fact that I get to live out my own Star Wars Fantasy as several different characters, and I am sick of all the negative crap I am forced to read (from people who claim to have "unsubbed") each time I go out on the internet for information about the game.

Darth Hater is the last site to stay up-to-date I fear and I get pissed off reading the same negative nanacy comments on there, but it is really the only one who stays completely current. ForceJunkies tries, but is always a couple days behind and seems to be only ran by 1 person anymore. I think this leaves opportunity for someone who has the time to draw on those of us who still love and support this game. If I were unnemployed right now, I might even take a shot at it myself, lol.

http://www.swtor-spy.com/ The top 2 pieces of news on swtor spy are "Why SWTOR failed" and "SWTOR - The End" the latter basically saying the site runners are going into maintenance mode and only because they invested a lot into the site.

2 seconds of looking that those two told me that the op didn't even look at the those two and incorrectly assumed it was from swtor-spy when the link specifically says swtor life and the links go to that website, not swtor-spy.

To actually go back to OP (and not give Shava the praise she deserves for her honest and clear observations), Massively actually posted a nice little blog entry yesterday describing many of the still active community websites and their uses.

So really, the answer to the original OP's post:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/11/06/hyperspace-beacon-returning-to-swtor/