Horrid WB experience

I won't get into the specifics of why a few people in this WB group I joined were horrible people IRL and how 24 people wasted two hours of their lives, I just want to know if I did something wrong.

Dreadtooth WB

I've never attempted this fight before, but I joined with two guildies because the leader wanted 24 people for this and they were having trouble getting enough. I'm on my level 60 Shield PT. The leaders say they have two dedicated tanks and that's all they need, so I switch to DPS cylinder instead of the tanking one. I also stay away from all of my taunting/threat-gen abilities/attacks through the whole time. The two tanks position him against the wall and the rest of the group attacks from the sides and behind, all mostly clustered around the healers.

Three times during this fight I somehow get targeted specifically by Dreadtooth. I was so surprised by it and was worried I was going to be torn a new one by the ***holes running the group. Luckily for me they didn't seem to notice/care. They were more into complaining about the dps overall.

I just thought it strange that I could have pulled aggro on this thing out of my tanking cylinder and not using threat/taunts while two tanks were holding him, about 7 healers are huddled under him, and the rest strictly dpsing. I'm not an expert on PT tanks, was what I did not enough to keep myself from becoming targeted through all of that?

IIrc Dreadtooth has threat drop mechanic, that one where he knocks away the tank and places a damage increasing debuff. Sonic Paralysis if I'm not mistaken. That's probably what happened, the tank got knocked away and the offtank didn't immediately taunt.

Yeah its an aggro drop mechanic, he just randomly selects a player to go after. The off tank should be taunting afterwards. 7 heals is also alot of heals, how many stacks of Dreadtooth did yall do?

There were 10 at the time. I didn't know what that meant at the time, other than the ops leader was panicky about not having 8-9 healers in the group of 24