lost leadership of my guild?!?!?

hamstew

I recently resubscribed to swtor and found that I was no longer the leader of my OWN GUILD.The new leader was another guy in the guild. I sent him a mail message asking for him to give me back my leadership because he/she is offline.i just sent this message minutes ago.that person hasn't came back online yet but I hope he/she doesn't betray me.I trust this person but nonetheless,THIS IS VERY STUPID.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not stupid. It's designed so that a GM must remain somewhat active to maintain their position (logging in once a month).

One precaution: If it's a personal/private storage guild and you know you're going to be gone for more than a month, remove all members that aren't personally known to you or that you don't completely trust. Another precaution is to pass leadership to someone you trust will pass leadership back to you when you return.

Also, if your friend doesn't log on, and there's a chance he left as well, his 30 day timer may have already started and you may get leadership defaulted back to you. If I remember correctly, the first person that logs in, with a GM that's been flagged inactive, will become the new GM of the guild. I can't verify this since the Guild FAQ page has been removed.

As they have stated this is the way the guilds are set up. That is why I have made sure I have officers I can trust if this ever happens to my boyfriend or me. It will normally pass to the first officer that has been on recently and that seems to work on a higher rating, (at least it did once for a friend of mine on the sith side) and then goes down the line.

They did this because there are times guild leaders just quit and there are things (like the bank vault) that only a guild leader has access to so this will ensure guilds don't suffer from the loss of a guild leader.

Edited by ScarletBlaze

As mentioned above, this is a good feature that protects members who have vested time into the guild and who enjoy where they are at, from their leader running off leaving them with no options for leadership.

Ya no sympathy for the OP unless he was gone for a reasonable amount of time. The GM of my guild left for close to several months. The officers designated a new GM who has since become a trusted and well liked leader. Recently, the original GM came back and demanded lead back. It really split the guild and after much discussion we ended up denying the original GM his request for reinstatement. He quit the guild, took a sizable chunk of people with him and created another guild with a similar name. Quality demonstration of leadership :rolleyes:

Ya no sympathy for the OP unless he was gone for a reasonable amount of time. The GM of my guild left for close to several months. The officers designated a new GM who has since become a trusted and well liked leader. Recently, the original GM came back and demanded lead back. It really split the guild and after much discussion we ended up denying the original GM his request for reinstatement. He quit the guild, took a sizable chunk of people with him and created another guild with a similar name. Quality demonstration of leadership :rolleyes:

Happens at times. A majority of us in my old guild moved to a guild we had often run Ops with as the returning GM refused to be open-minded about any of the things the guild as a whole was wanting to implement and had begun working on in his absence.

The system as it is definitely doesn't need to be changed.

I recently resubscribed to swtor and found that I was no longer the leader of my OWN GUILD.The new leader was another guy in the guild. I sent him a mail message asking for him to give me back my leadership because he/she is offline.i just sent this message minutes ago.that person hasn't came back online yet but I hope he/she doesn't betray me.I trust this person but nonetheless,THIS IS VERY STUPID.

No, it's not "very stupid." You remind me of a guy who abandons his girlfriend, comes back a few months later and finds she has a new guy, then gets angry. If you abandon something, you lose all rights to it. Take care of it or lose it. You didn't take care of your own guild, so you lost it. Too bad. It's your own fault.

To my understanding of how guild leadership was set, there was or is 2 ways to lose your rights as a guildleader...

# 1. Like what is said above, being gone from the game was one part. You had to be absent for 6 weeks or more for Bioware to set a new person in the guild to be guild leader. This is also a time frame that a guild had to wait til Bioware could help a guild out that had an absent guildleader.

# 2. The second way and the quickest way to lose your guildleader status is to simply let your subscription lapse or go to the free to play/preferred member status. If at any moment, you let 1 day or even 1 hour of your subscription lapse, any one in the guild that logs in at that time that IS a subscriber can get your guildleader status, at that time.

Since you reported above that " I recently resubscribed ...", you may have lost your guildleader status due to your subscription ending, as stated in # 2.

No, it's not "very stupid." You remind me of a guy who abandons his girlfriend, comes back a few months later and finds she has a new guy, then gets angry. If you abandon something, you lose all rights to it. Take care of it or lose it. You didn't take care of your own guild, so you lost it. Too bad. It's your own fault.

Heh, this was pretty much what I was going to say.

It is pretty presumptuous of the OP to think that he would still be guild leader of a guild when he has been unsubscribed and inactive for a while (which I assume is more than a week or two by his original comment).

Of course the leadership would pass on to someone active. What kind of chaos do you think would happen in a really big guild if the guild leader just stopped playing all of a sudden without assigning another leader? (Or, god forbid, the guild leader dies in real life with no possibility of assigning a new leader)

Next time think a little before posting an angry comment like that... :rolleyes:

• 6 months later...
Completely agreed.

And do not listen to "alternatively adequate" persons around - especially like that guy:

Oh gosh. /facepalm

Ok, let me explain it for alternatively gifted (with highlights, colors and stuff):

1. First, SWTOR is not a girlfriend. Well, at least in my psychological system of axes.

2. When somebody creates a guild and becomes a GM, he pays 5K to do it + 600K to start a guild bank + 1KK for a second one, and so on up to 51KK+, AFAIR.

3. Actually - everything that was brought in the guildbank(s), is a property of guildmaster that he shares with other crew the way he wants to.
    Like, he can completely loot all of these any time and buy himself a new shiny, and you are in no right/position to judge or demand or whatever. Unless that, at least, breaks any promises he gave you...

4. I see that your absolutely awesome and smart message was written before Strongholds/Flagships were released, but AFAIK, they were already announced, so i will still mention that:..
    Typical "Strongholded/Flagshipped" GM spends a fracking load of cash (somewhere between 50K and Over9000KK) to buy/unlock a guild Stronghold(s) and/or a Flagship.

5. Also - the process of assembling a guild and keeping it together takes time and nerves. And these are two of the most important resources we, living meat, have.

And now, you are telling that a lose of everything above is fully justified simply because GM can accidentally get his subscription lapsed for a hour?

Sounds like said by a person with negative IQ.

His guild is his property. The cash and stuff he spent, or which lays in a banks, is his property. And the guild name is his property, just like his toon names and/or his legacy name - neither more, nor the less.

And i do not give a damn that EAware created that stupid rule with losing GM status through getting subscription lapsed. I consider it a very dirty and unfair trick to stimulate people around watch their sub status closely. And if you used that to become a GM, then you are no more than a dirty little thief. Done.

And speaking of dirty thiefs,

The GM of my guild left for close to several months. The officers designated a new GM who has since become a trusted and well liked leader. Recently, the original GM came back and demanded lead back. It really split the guild and after much discussion we ended up denying the original GM his request for reinstatement. He quit the guild, took a sizable chunk of people with him and created another guild with a similar name.
No. Quality demonstration of you.

So, you used the opportunity that was brought to you by ugly and unfair game rules to hijack a guild with a name and crew (ang a banks ;) ) you like, and you forced your previous GM, that poor cheated person, to quit. And from your words, you are not even giving him opportunity to keep the original guild name, which was his original idea, to himself.

And, what is much more fascinating, you are telling about it left and right, all so shiny and proud.

/golfclap

Congrats. Someone so abominable and despicable is a truly rare met. Sort of achievment.

In that case, someone more honorable would leave the guild by himself, instead of forcing the actual GM do it.

But i take it that you have a much more... *cough* practical understanding of clear conscience.

Gonna tell you only one more thing: i really wish you to be surrounded by people like you for the whole your lifetime. And if you will ever stumble and fall - you will be looted, raped, mauled, killed, and probably even eaten.

... Amen :D

Edited by AngelFive

Yep I started an alt guild and I had one person (The only other player than myself, it was me ,her, her husband & her kid that started it, the husband & kid deleted there guys after we made the guild but she stayed active for about a month) in that "use" to be a friend of mine and the key word is "use" to be,

but I unsubbed for a month and leadership pass to this idiot who doesn't even play the game anymore

so I was so pissed because of all the items & mats & cash I had in my guild vault and couldn't touch them so I was forced to abandon the guild with all my alts & myself realizing that this putz if she ever plays again will get all my crap, so personally I think its a crappy rule...

Edited by Legolose

Hmmmm... Necro much?

As to the topic, there are good and bad sides to how you remain a GM. In general, BW has to aim to help the most people, so a GM who goes inactive gets the short end. It has to work that way or you'd have guilds that had embers but with no GM, there are a lot of functions they can't use. If you're going to be a GM, you have a responsibility to log on periodically and take care of your guild. If you don't BW can replace you for the good of the playerbase in general.

Easy solution then, why doesn't BW allow the GM to be reinstated automatically when we resubbs ??? Because BW doesn't want to take the time and fix it... It a crap system right now and they know it... Edited by Legolose

Easy solution then, why doesn't BW allow the GM to be reinstated automatically when we resubbs ??? Because BW doesn't want to take the time and fix it... It a crap system right now and they know it...

Bioware fixing things? Ha! Even if they try, a million bugs will sprout up and the playerbase will start whining about how they never should have fixed it. The pattern is predictable but I do like your idea.

People spend many in-game hours (hopefully spread out) on their guild and it's unfair that someone else gets control of the guild because you miss a payment. The best solution is what Legolose suggested. This would allow outher guild members to become GM in the event the original GM loses their subscription or goes offline for a month while still giving them the chance to reclaim their position.

I am a guild leader (and my boyfriend is a co-leader) and even when I don't have time to play (because of my work schedule or college classes) I make an effort to at least log on my main character to keep it active. That takes me about 5 minutes to do so.

My guild knows there are times due to real life I can be there but they also know I will try to log on at least once a week to make sure things are going well and they have my email in case there is something.

A guild leader should make an effort to at least log on once a week if they want to continue being the guild leader. Any guild money in the guild bank belongs to the guild-not the guild leader, as there are members that contribute to the bank. The guild stronghold and guild flagships belongs to the guild not the guild leader.

Edited by ScarletBlaze

[*]When somebody creates a guild and becomes a GM, he pays 5K to do it + 600K to start a guild bank + 1KK for a second one, and so on up to 51KK+, AFAIR.

[*]Actually - everything that was brought in the guildbank(s), is a property of guildmaster that he shares with other crew the way he wants to.

Like, he can completely loot all of these any time and buy himself a new shiny, and you are in no right/position to judge or demand or whatever. Unless that, at least, breaks any promises he gave you...

[*]I see that your absolutely awesome and smart message was written before Strongholds/Flagships were released, but AFAIK, they were already announced, so i will still mention that:..

Typical "Strongholded/Flagshipped" GM spends a fracking load of cash (somewhere between 50K and Over9000KK) to buy/unlock a guild Stronghold(s) and/or a Flagship.

If the guild leader is spending all that cash, then they're doing it wrong. It's meant to be a guild effort.

If the guild leader feels that way about money in the guild bank, then he's not going to have a guild to lead for very long.

The guild belongs to the guild. The leader is a LEADER, not the guild owner.

Imagine a clubhouse. And there's a guy, let's call him Adam, who builds this really basic clubhouse. Adam starts recruiting folks to join his club and pretty soon, there's a bunch of people enjoying the clubhouse and helping to decorate it, etc. Adam remains the leader of the club, though, because he's the one who built the clubhouse and he's the one who takes care of the day-to-day maintenance of having a clubhouse and running a club. Unfortunately, Adam disappears for a while. During that time, another member of the club, Brian, steps up and starts dealing with the day-to-day stuff of managing a club and a clubhouse. Old members leave, new members are recruited. The clubhouse is further improved by various members of the club. One day, maybe a year later, Adam comes back. Most of the club has no idea who Adam even is. Bob's been leading the club well for months now, and the improvements to the clubhouse were mostly done after Adam left. Half of the club is new since Adam disappeared.

Why would you ever assume that it would be a good idea to just give leadership back to Adam?

This is just a hypothetical situation I'm using to illustrate the idea that a guild is a community, and it's owned by the community, or it's not really a guild--it's just 1 guy on a power trip (which is what the OP and those defending him sound like).

If the guild leader is spending all that cash, then they're doing it wrong. It's meant to be a guild effort.

If the guild leader feels that way about money in the guild bank, then he's not going to have a guild to lead for very long.

Imagine a clubhouse. And there's a guy, let's call him Adam, who builds this really basic clubhouse. Adam starts recruiting folks to join his club and pretty soon, there's a bunch of people enjoying the clubhouse and helping to decorate it, etc. Adam remains the leader of the club, though, because he's the one who built the clubhouse and he's the one who takes care of the day-to-day maintenance of having a clubhouse and running a club. Unfortunately, Adam disappears for a while. During that time, another member of the club, Brian, steps up and starts dealing with the day-to-day stuff of managing a club and a clubhouse. Old members leave, new members are recruited. The clubhouse is further improved by various members of the club. One day, maybe a year later, Adam comes back. Most of the club has no idea who Adam even is. Bob's been leading the club well for months now, and the improvements to the clubhouse were mostly done after Adam left. Half of the club is new since Adam disappeared.

Why would you ever assume that it would be a good idea to just give leadership back to Adam?

This is just a hypothetical situation I'm using to illustrate the idea that a guild is a community, and it's owned by the community, or it's not really a guild--it's just 1 guy on a power trip (which is what the OP and those defending him sound like).

Umm... Bad example actually.

Becouse IRL there's one little thing that you forgot...

You know, papers. Documents. Ownership.

So no matter how good Brian runs this joint, but Adam is still owner, becouse he have ALL documents.

Umm... Bad example actually.

Becouse IRL there's one little thing that you forgot...

You know, papers. Documents. Ownership.

So no matter how good Brian runs this joint, but Adam is still owner, becouse he have ALL documents.

In SWTOR, if Adam disappears for a while, he no longer has any documents. The new guild leader has all the documents. So if you take my little parable/analogy too far, you run into problems.

I see your point. Plus it's probably a strawman argument. But, HOPEFULLY, people understand what I'm trying to get across, here. Guilds are not things any one person owns, unless they are literally a guild of one. An actual, living guild is owned by the guild members. If the guild leader goes away without communicating his intentions to the guild, the members acquire ownership since it's actually their guild.

If the guild leader communicates his intentions and puts a plan in place for an officer to step up temporarily, then that is a good leader and deserves to continue leading the guild. If a guild leader disappears with zero warning then comes back months later expecting to get his old position back, well ... maybe he/she should have had the grace to communicate.

Any guild leader that doesn't get this really should only lead a guild of their own alts.

Edited by Fidelicatessen

I think it is the right solution to automatically pass the guild lead after a while. For an active guild an active guild leader is important. I have seen it two times when a guild leader kind of retired of his position due to RL reasons. They passed the guild lead before they left. So they were completely in control who became their successor. I think this is the way it should be done. If the guild lead just leaves without any preparation then I think it is justified that he is dependent on the mercy of his successor.

Aww. That all is soooooo very cute, but if you will excuse me, i am going to get you back in a real world.

Where, technically, guild has a pyramidal structure with GM on top. I understand your love to democracy and that just want to see it everywhere, but GM, technically, is a monarch that can do about anything with anyone and everything else in his guild. So technically, guild is not a democracy, guild is a monarchy. Sorry if i've just ruined your romantic... whateverness.

And here is an example from real world.

Once upon a time, one girl who really loves to PvP, had issues with her GM. Thing is, he had his crew with his rules, she had hers, all inside one guild. And that issues was happening because people tended to choose her crew instead of his... So, one night, he gets crazier than usual... And kicks her from the guild while everybody was sleeping. And starting from the morning, he starts telling people some fairy-tales of her, and she was always the Main Evil in each blasted one. Result is that the whole guild left him sombbing in the ditch while "his" guild was rebuilt with other name, by other person.

So that's a story with good ending, but you should notice that when the whole guild had issues with GM, everybody had to leave. And if this is what you consider to be a democracy... Pfff, nuff said already.

Gah, and i understand and, partially, share your shiny "A guild is for guildees" ideal, but it is not like that in a real world. So, when you put anything in GB, you are actually giving it to GM. And if your romantic ideals has nothing to do with his thoughts on the matter - umm, you have a problem. ;)

Just like in my last message, i've simply explained how does that structure work. Last time i did it, you started to read speaches at me as if i was the tyrant who robs his guildees (or suggests that), while i was simply explaining how does the system work. And i really hope you will get the hint this time. :tran_tongue:

Umm... Bad example actually
This.

and it's unfair that someone else gets control of the guild because you miss a payment
And that.

I am a guild leader (and my boyfriend is a co-leader) and even when I don't have time to play (because of my work schedule or college classes) I make...
...whatever is good in your case, but there is always such a thing as the different case, catchy? ;)

Hmmmm... Necro much?
Too bad but the mess is still here. Or are we waiting for some other guy with hijacked guild? I can pretend as i was the one, that will do? :D

Screw the "hypothetical situations" - i've put a full stack of cash to get a guildship, and i consider it to be my property, not some random loudmouth's. Do you have problems with that point of view or not, partner? ;)

In SWTOR, if Adam disappears for a while, he no longer has any documents. The new guild leader has all the documents. So if you take my little parable/analogy too far, you run into problems.
Correct, and i (just like the OP) was telling that it is STUPID.

Speaking of solutions - i, at least, would like to see that "GM auto - election" thing as some kind of switch-able thing in guild settings. Like - so that i could turn it off if i do not like it. At least. Also, i think that it would be a good idea - to make this flag seen to all the guildees.

And ideally, there should be two forms of guilds, "monarchial" (classic)... and "democratic" one, where members can elect officers and GM's, and where a veight of their voice will depend on their activity and, maybe, on in-game in-guild reputation system.

I think it is the right solution to automatically pass the guild lead after a while.
Then you probably never bought any flaships all on your own cash, pal. Just saying. :D Edited by AngelFive

Sounds like you should start a new guild with only your alts. Your members would be much happier with your attitude and this "problem" wouldn't affect you any more.
Sounds like you love giving genious advices too much.

My attitude is 70% of logic, 15% of common sense and 15% of spices, such as irony and sarcasm. :p

And the facts i will tell you (for the last time already!) are these: GM has a technical access to do absolutely anything in his guild. In real world, such an athority system is being called a monarchy. And your "guild is for the guildees" noble ideal has absolutely nothing to do with that.

What i mean, exactly, is that someday your GM can kick every single one member of his guild out and loot all the banks. And you are absolutely unable to prevent that. I am happy for you if your GM shares your noble ideals, but if he doesn't - someday it just can end up in one big mess.

One other thing i am telling you for the last time is that it is not the way i run my guild or suggesting others to. What i told is just an explanation of how does guild structure work, and a warning as well. If you are putting anything in GB, you better trust your guild's athorities. Done. Have i told it simple enough now?

Your members would be much happier with your attitude and
Well, i can see why everybody unable to build up a stack of 50 mils doesn't like an idea that my guildship doesnt belong to them, but why the frack would i actually care? :D

You sound like: "Blah blah, if you don't want to share with us, you should play alone". ;)

Geez, people. Active sub, 2-3 55's and a bunch of side crafting lowbie toons with not a single touch of donating is pretty damn well enough to make over two mils per day without really breaking a sweat. Why wouldn't you just learn how to do it, instead of whining around? :rolleyes:

And the question is still open. Let's say somebody created a guild and bought a guildship all on his own. Why the hell should he lose all that to some random sub simply beacuse his sub lapsed for some stupid hour? :confused:

Completely agreed.

And do not listen to "alternatively adequate" persons around - especially like that guy:

Oh gosh. /facepalm

Ok, let me explain it for alternatively gifted (with highlights, colors and stuff):

... Amen :D

The most over the top reaction yet. And in color! Congratulations. But you're defending the indefensible. The OP ABANDONED his guild. Is there something you don't understand about that? Abandoned: Didn't say bye. Didn't say, "Hold down the fort, I'll be away." He just disappeared. In fact, he unsubbed. Do you seriously think everyone in the guild should just wait around hoping he MIGHT come back? Sorry, but the OP isn't Jesus and no one is going to wait around 2,000 years and worship him just because he started some Podunk guild and didn't put any effort into keeping it active. He was an absentee landlord at best.

Oh, wait! He put CREDITS into it! My God! 5,000 credits! That must be worth what? (Hmm, $4.95 per million from cheapcredits.com, with a 10% bonus, chunka! chunka !chunka!) about two or three cents. So here's a guy who spent the COST OF A SINGLE FRIGGIN' CROUTON in his Caesar salad and demands squatter's rights?

And I'm not sure what you are implying here announcing that a guild =/= a girlfriend. So the guild is MORE real? Or LESS real? All I said was he reminds me of someone who ignores his girlfriend and is surprised and angry that she turns elsewhere. Seems like a pretty good analogy to me. And if he reminds me of that analogy, it doesn't really matter whether that speaks to you or not. It's irrelevant.

The only truly amazing thing here is that anyone is defending this chump at all. He got what he deserved. Life moves on, and if you don't choose to playa the game, you no maka the rules. Either participate or get lost.