Missiles at lvl 50 w/ proton torpedo mod

reillan

So I'm confused by how missiles and proton torpedoes work...

Before lvl 50, if I wanted to fire off a quick missile (especially important against big objectives like the shields of a capital ship), I'd just tap the right mouse button a few times and off they went, and I took down the target just fine.

But when I equipped the Proton Torpedoes, it seemed to change how targeting works. I can no longer just snap off missiles at capital ship targets - now I have to hold the button or something like that... it's like my only option against any targets on a capital ship is the torpedo...

Is that intended? If so, it's really horrible design, at least by comparison to the quick-fire missiles I had before...

Or am I missing something in how missiles and torpedoes work?

also, as a suggestion: Can we get a page to adjust key bindings for space combat?

Edited by reillan

Before lvl 50, if I wanted to fire off a quick missile (especially important against big objectives like the shields of a capital ship), I'd just tap the right mouse button a few times and off they went, and I took down the target just fine.

But when I equipped the Proton Torpedoes, it seemed to change how targeting works. I can no longer just snap off missiles at capital ship targets - now I have to hold the button or something like that... it's like my only option against any targets on a capital ship is the torpedo...

Is that intended? If so, it's really horrible design, at least by comparison to the quick-fire missiles I had before...

also, as a suggestion: Can we get a page to adjust key bindings for space combat?

Torpedos are fired like missiles however you have to hold your right mouse key down and keep your mouse over the target until it completely locks (takes about 5 seconds). Unlike missiles where you just have to highlight the target to lock.

Torps are used for taking out normally indestructable targets, this is why your limited 4 and require a long lock time.

Ok thank you.

I guess I get that... it just doesn't make a lot of sense that it changes the default behavior of your right mouse button when targeting a capital ship. The 4 shield generators on one of those big round ships - the shield generators that protect just the turrets nearest them - are rather pointless for proton torpedo targeting. Was hoping maybe I was just wrong.

Any way to change the default behavior so that I can fire off missiles instead of torpedoes at these targets and save my torpedoes for the things I really want to shoot (namely - the bridge comm relay)

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to put up my frustration as well... if you put your cursor on top of a shield generator, it'll automatically assume you want to use proton torpedo's and not missiles, even when you're out of torpedoes, it'll still do the targeting function of torpedoes preventing missiles from launching.

I used to be able to take these targets out with missiles, now I can't. Once you've burnt up your 4 torpedoes, you're screwed. I mean sometimes it's easy taking out a generator with missiles, fire a couple missiles... clean out the screen of small target, fire a couple more. Torpedoes you have to leave your cursor on the target for about 3 seconds it'll lock then you can fire click right mouse button to release it. Not very fun when you have 50 other things hitting you, you almost need to use Warfare pod in conjunction to torpedoes.

I've emptied my torpedo slot.... and no there isn't anything that missiles won't take out. Just takes a lot of missiles.

I'd like to put up my frustration as well... if you put your cursor on top of a shield generator, it'll automatically assume you want to use proton torpedo's and not missiles, even when you're out of torpedoes, it'll still do the targeting function of torpedoes preventing missiles from launching.

I used to be able to take these targets out with missiles, now I can't. Once you've burnt up your 4 torpedoes, you're screwed. I mean sometimes it's easy taking out a generator with missiles, fire a couple missiles... clean out the screen of small target, fire a couple more. Torpedoes you have to leave your cursor on the target for about 3 seconds it'll lock then you can fire click right mouse button to release it. Not very fun when you have 50 other things hitting you, you almost need to use Warfare pod in conjunction to torpedoes.

I've emptied my torpedo slot.... and no there isn't anything that missiles won't take out. Just takes a lot of missiles.

I would agree that torps there own targeting mechanic insted of utilizing the same binding as missiles. There also needs to be more options for the slot, 4 trop limit on the base launcher just is not enough in some missions.

• 4 weeks later...

The proton torpedos are junk. I pulled mine out. An in-ability to do what you did before and it is harder? When I have no proton torpedos left I CANT fire missiles at objectives.

Change the key used for proton torpedos. Give us a tab to change space flight preference / key bindings.

Pull it out for now.

The proton torpedoes and missiles work fine. To fire missiles you just have to keep your right click and hover the cursor over the targets to highlight then then release to fire.

Proton torpedoes are designed for special targets and you have to keep your cursor over the target with the right click pressed until the target is locked. You can see the difference from missiles in the cursor reticule. It has a different animation. It`s not round and red like when you fire your missiles.

After lock and fire a proton torpedo (bright purple lightball) you can use your missiles normally on turrets, ships, etc.

There seems to be a bug with those. While it should work to still fire the missiles at shield generators, for some reasons sometimes it just doesn't work. It always tries to fire a torpedo, even if out of ammo.

The torpedos sole purpose is to blow up the commando bridge and get that bonus objective. The shield generators can be blown up with torpedos, but it's actually much harder to do than with missiles.

There should be another mechanism to shoot torpedos. Like hold the shift key while right clicking or something. It should not assume by itself.

Firing missles works the same as it always did (single-click right mouse) even after you equip photon torpedoes. I have no idea why you guys think it's functioning differently. I do space missions every day and it has always worked like this.

It's just a really stupid system, as said above when trying to hit a shield generator with a singular missile is impossible with a torpedo tube attached. I have no idea who thought it would be a good idea to change the system but whatever. Apparently you need to lock on with the torpedo targeting system even after you've run out of torpedoes (why???) and fire 4 missiles off at once, but I'm not going to waste my time to figure it out.

Getting rid of the tube I've found to be the easiest solution, all you need it for anyway is for the hidden daily bonus on clouds of vonduru which is bugged (surprise!) and doesn't give anything. This needs to be fixed, I don't want to buy an upgrade to my ship for it to cut the usefulness of my missiles so I can't actually use them on required objectives.

+1 to this guy's post and all who agree. I removed my proton torpedos as well because it was horrible trying to use regular missles after adding PT's.

For missions such as clouds of vonduro when attacking the shield generators or the ships bridge it automatically assumes you want to use your proton torpedos. So until you fire all 4, (remember, as long as the proton torpedo light is colored purple on your dash you still have 1 in the tube) regardless of it saying 0 then it will require you to hold the right mouse button down for the 3 seconds. smaller targets such as laser batteries and fighters will still only require the regular quick right clicks.

Once you have fire all 4 torpedos, it reverts back to the regular right click spam fest it was prior to installing the torpedos.

It took me 3 or 4 failed (and very frustrating attempts) before I realised I still had an extra torp. in the tube. And the targeting works differently for large / small targets.

Hope this helps

It does function differently when targeting shield generators. It's a pain now and has made several space missions impossible to accomplish unless you unequip the proton torpedos. Even the "Right-Click Drag" option mentioned will switch to the red PT lock-on when you hover over a shield generator.

Firing missles works the same as it always did (single-click right mouse) even after you equip photon torpedoes. I have no idea why you guys think it's functioning differently. I do space missions every day and it has always worked like this.

It's buggy, but -only- when targeting shield generators. The game defaults to attempting a torpedo lockon even if you've expended all 4 torpedo tubes, rendering it impossible to fire at them properly.

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah I'm having this problem too.. Even when I use up all my torps it wont even fire missiles so I keep failing the mission.. This is nuts, please fix this. for now though the only thing I can do is remove the torps.

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

I also experienced this bug today. Up until this morning I NEVER had a Proton Torpedo launcher equipped - finally bought one last night. Last night I did Zosha Advance just fine and was able to take out the 4 shield generators w/ ONLY missiles. Today I go back and try to do the same mission w/ Proton Torpedo's equipped and my ONLY option when firing at the shield generators is TORPEDO's, missiles would not lock & fire at them. Finally unequipped the Torpedo and did the mission again, missiles worked just fine, completed the mission.

Really ridiculous mechanic... and NO response from BW is even more ridiculous. Since the only thing I need the torps for is a bonus objective, I guess I wasted my comms on it! Thanks a lot!