Noob needs experience

xAlonewolfx

I'm a level 33 Jedi Sentinel. Been playing for about a week. This is my first MMO. I'm at the end of chapter one and have had no success with the last boss (name omitted to avoid spoilers) . I have all the best gear I can use at my level but after more than a dozen attempts he still kills me every time. I'm left with farming experience to try again after I'm a level or two above the boss I need to kill, but I've already cleared Tatooine and Alderan of available missions. So the question is, where can I go to pick up a couple extra levels? I should not neglect to mention that I am a terrible gamer. Couldn't even beat Super Mario Brothers on the old NES when I was a kid. LOL

I'm a level 33 Jedi Sentinel. Been playing for about a week. This is my first MMO. I'm at the end of chapter one and have had no success with the last boss (name omitted to avoid spoilers) . I have all the best gear I can use at my level but after more than a dozen attempts he still kills me every time. I'm left with farming experience to try again after I'm a level or two above the boss I need to kill, but I've already cleared Tatooine and Alderan of available missions. So the question is, where can I go to pick up a couple extra levels? I should not neglect to mention that I am a terrible gamer. Couldn't even beat Super Mario Brothers on the old NES when I was a kid. LOL

The Nar Shaddaa Bonus Series is supposed to be picked up on the fleet after chapter 1, but if you go to Nar Shaddaa, there's an NPC in the middle of the spaceport that will start the bonus series. This should be good for a level.

First, don't worry about being killed by that villain, other jedis have fallen before against him. if you search the forums you'll see tons of other threads on this topic. He is a difficult opponent and the key to beating him is to interrupt his techniques as often as you can. Don't forget that you can also use your heroic moment to give yourself a little boost during that fight!

And I'd like also to commend you on having the forethought of not mentioning your enemy in order not to spoil others.

In the forum you can also use the tags SPOILER between brackets to hide your text.

Like this

to defeat Valis, you must interrupt his techniques

Edited by Oggthebase

I had the same problem when I fought

Valis

the first time. He is one tough sob, but like others have said, you need to time your interrupts. It will help being higher level, but that really is not the ideal way to beat that boss. Make sure that both your gear, and Kira's are as good as possible and make sure to bring the best med packs and a stim, might ot boost your strength. Best of luck, and if all fails, try asking around for help. On my server, I am normally willing to help people with their class bosses, especially if they are new.

Wow, thanks for all the advice. I'm not sure if it matters but the boss I'm actually dealing with is

Darth Angral

. Perhaps I was mistaken in thinking he is the last one. Anyway I will heed your advice and keep at it. I'll post back when he finally falls.

Wow, thanks for all the advice. I'm not sure if it matters but the boss I'm actually dealing with is

Darth Angral

. Perhaps I was mistaken in thinking he is the last one. Anyway I will heed your advice and keep at it. I'll post back when he finally falls.

He is indeed the last boss of Chapter 1. And, he's a tough fight.

I was really ticked that I had to use Kira, since I had only used T7 and he was the only one geared. But, after a coupled of deaths, I tried summoning T7 and it worked! Much better.

I feel your pain, I had to do this fight twice because of a mission bug. :mad:

I'm now at around 25 tries. I've spent all my credits on repairing my gear after he kills me, medpacs, and stims. From the time I engage him to the time I'm dead is about 7 seconds flat, and then I have to wait another 20 minutes for my "heroic call on the force" to cooldown. This is becoming discouraging. I don't see how you guys are picking and timing your abilities. It all goes so fast, I usually just wind up mashing buttons. Is there a way to force Kira to tank for me so I have more time to choose what I hit him with? Apologies for my whiny tone. I sure am missing my hack & slash days in Diablo II.

I'm now at around 25 tries. I've spent all my credits on repairing my gear after he kills me, medpacs, and stims. From the time I engage him to the time I'm dead is about 7 seconds flat, and then I have to wait another 20 minutes for my "heroic call on the force" to cooldown. This is becoming discouraging. I don't see how you guys are picking and timing your abilities. It all goes so fast, I usually just wind up mashing buttons. Is there a way to force Kira to tank for me so I have more time to choose what I hit him with? Apologies for my whiny tone. I sure am missing my hack & slash days in Diablo II.

What server are you on? I'm on Jedi Covenant, if you are as well I will help you with it.

If you're on The Harbinger, send me a message and I'll help you. After 25 tries, you need to get help so you can move on. :)

I don't see how you guys are picking and timing your abilities. It all goes so fast, I usually just wind up mashing buttons. Is there a way to force Kira to tank for me so I have more time to choose what I hit him with?

yeah, button mashing won't get you too far in this game. you gotta pay attention to the enemy's cast bar. when you see him charging up an ability, stop what you're doing and use Force Kick or Force Stasis. that'll interrupt him and prevent him from hitting you with powerful spells.

as far as having Kira tank...she doesn't have any taunt skills, so you would have to send her in first and let her land a few attacks before you jump in. though since you are a sentinel, you might easily pull agro away from her if you try to nuke the boss.

I'm on the red eclipse, so I appreciate the offer but no such luck. After reading all the other threads it seems the key is interrupts. I went back and got 1 more level to make me 34 and made several more attempts trying to interrupt his attacks but it's just too much to watch. When he's attacking, what he's attacking with, when my buffs run out, which interrupt is ready, trying to do damage in between, watching my own health... and all the while attempting to hit the right buttons on the flippin' keyboard. I actually did worse than when I was just spamming the buttons. It's time to admit defeat. As I said, I am a truly horrible gamer. I suppose in time I may be able to grind out the half million or so exp I'd need to really out level him. Anyway, thanks to everyone who helped. You all have my utmost respect.

Hey,

Don't give up. that's not a Jedi way ..;)

On TRE there are many helpful people, perhaps just ask on general chat whether someone would like to help you in that quest.

Regarding interrupts: I's not THAT much difficult, usually, all those fights have something the helps player to maintain his survivability (sometimes even a pillar that intercepts the enemy hits/charges).

Or simple LOS can also work.

I myself remember having hard time with Stark where only LOS and interrupts are of any use.

And Sentinels are quite powerful with attacks, and not all that squishy as Consulars.

Try to move a bit around, Do not use Heroic Moment until you know you are getting close to win, that extra boost can be your enemy doom. But first try to learn how to avoid the hits.

Then remember your most effective (read: lethal) rotation and implement.

What you need to watch is his cast bar and your health only. When he casts, - interrupt, and then attach.

Go back, avoid some hits and wait for casting, interrupt, rinse and repeat.

I am also on TRE but rather irregularly, and mostly late in the evenings (22:00 - 23:00), you can also whisper me there...

Good luck out there!

Hi there

There may be many factors that can ruin your chances of defeating your enemy. I will name a few and give a possible solution.

1. You and/or your companion are undergeared.

Having gear for level 20 when you are level 33 can really hurt your damage output. To fix this, go back to your last planet(s) and do some Heroic quests there. This should give you some orange gear with the highest possible level. Also, doing a flashpoint or two in that level range can also help. If you have a guild, ask them to run with you. You can also do this for your companion (Kira for instance).

Remember that if you have many orange gear, you can swap mods from other orange gear. For example: A heroic quest may give you a high level chestpiece, but you already have that chestpiece. No problem, take out the mods of the chestpiece and put them in the boots that are still lowleveled.

If you don't have orange gear, you can easily obtain a set of orange gear on Coruscant with the social vendor. They have no mods in them yet, so you'll have to fill that up yourself.

2. Your rotation is a bit off

It is possible that you're not performing well because your rotation is bad. No worries, this can be easily solved by predetermining a rotation and practice that. To help with your rotation, you can put one quick bar in the dead center of your screen so that it is easily viewable and accessible without getting in the way. You will place the 12 most used abilities there, according to their priority.

As I am leveling a Sentinel myself (I am around 30 myself), I will put some rotations here, depending on your spec, for which I will also give a sample build.

Watchman: Make sure you are in the Juyo form!!

Opener:

Force Leap > Overload Saber > Zealous Strike > Cauterize > Slash

This opener will have put all possible burn effects on your target. Afterwards use this list of priority (If ability 1 isn't available, you use ability 2 and so on):

1. Zen

2. Overload Saber

3. Cauterize

4. Riposte

5. Slash

6. Zealous Strike

7. Master Strike

8. Strike

This should be a decent way to maintain a high DPS. Other than that, you will have some defensive tools that you should use when possible:

1. Rebuke

2. Saber Ward

3. Pacify (use this everytime it's off cooldown)

4. Heroic Moment (use this after the first time you used saber ward, it will reset the cooldown on it and you can use it again)

Combat: Make sure you are in the Ataru Form!!!

Opener:

Force Leap > Zealous Strike > Precision Slash > Master Strike > Blade Storm

From then on, you can use this priority list:

1. Zen

2. Precision Slash

3. Master Strike

4. Zealous Strike

5. Blade Storm (Use this ability only when you have Combat Trance active, which is triggered by the Ataru Form)

6. Strike

Again, use your defensive cooldowns as well.

Focus: Make sure you are in the Shii-Cho Form!!!

Opener:

Force Leap > Force Stasis > Zealous Strike > Force Sweep (With Singularity Boost)

After that, use this priority list:

1. Always build up Singularity first. This can be done through Force Stasis or Zen

2. When you have 4x Singularity => Zealous Leap + Force Sweep

3. Zealous Strike

4. Blade Storm

5. Master Strike

6. Slash

7. Strike

And again, use your defensive cooldowns in between.

3. Consumables

A great way to help you in defeating your opponent, is to use consumables. Make sure you always have a stim working that increases your Strength and put the adrenal in your rotation as it would be an attack.

As a Sentinel, I'd recommend buying or crafting these consumables:

A. If you have Biochem yourself

- Reusable Improved Medpac

- Reusable Experimental Might Stim

- For Watchman: Reusable Experimental Critical Adrenal

- For Combat: Reusable Experimental Tech Adrenal

- For Focus: Reusable Experimental Force Adrenal

B. If you don't have Biochem yourself

- Prototype Improved Medpac

- Prototype Experimental Might Stim

- For Watchman: Experimental Critical Adrenal

- For Combat: Experimental Tech Adrenal

- For Focus: Experimental Force Adrenal

4. Keybind your abilities

You say you're button-mashing it. Put that button mashin to good use and keybind your abilities. I will give you my keybinds to give you a hand. I'm usually working with a Razer Naga mouse, but I will try to put them as well as I can on a keyboard.

- AWSD: movement with A = Strafe left and D = Strafe Right. No keyboard turning is bound.

- Q = Riposte. It needs quick reaction, so it's on Q

- E = Force Kick. Your interrupt.

- F = Zen

- R = Tree-specific ability. This is "Overload Saber", "Zealous Leap" or "Precision Slash"

- 1 to 6: your main abilities in order of the priority

- ALT + 1-6: Your defensive cooldowns.

This is just an example and is based upon the fact that at L33, you don't need that many abilities keybound. I usually keybind Force Leap to G because it's not really necessary to quickly press it, as it is an opener. Other people may have better options and I hope they will show you theirs so you can choose for yourself what works.

TL;DR

- Upgrade your gear

- Improve your rotation

- Use consumables

- Keybind your abilities

Hope this helped.

If you're just getting too frustrated, may I suggest one, or more, of the following:

- start another character you've been wanting to and maybe finish their starter planet

- run some space missions

- run some flash points

- help others who constantly ask for groups for Heroics

It'll give you a change of pace, let you enjoy more aspects of the game, and maybe give you that level or two advantage you are looking for.

It's frustrating to try and try and try and not quite accomplish something. Sometimes a little break is all that you really needed to re-think things.

Sorry I don't know why I was thinking about the other difficult boss, but your end of chapter 1 boss is also difficult!

All of the advice above (and the detailed techniques from SpoeMeister)are great!

I looked up the fight on Youtube to remember what his techniques were, and he has two:

- Force lightning (lightning with bluish purple icon)

- Thundering blast (yellow orange icon)

From the video it seems that lightning does slighty more damage, so:

- your force kick should interrupt Force lightning each time it is cast. The damage is applied as soon as the cast starts, so interrupt him as early as possible to minimize it.

- the first time he casts thundering blast, use saber ward to reduce the Force damage by 25% and right after it, activate heroic moment, so the saber ward cooldown is reset and the small heals tick in.

- the second thundering blast, use force stasis to interrupt and let Kira hit him while you maintain your hold on him for the full duration.

- the third time you see him cast thundering blast, use your rebuke to reduce damage by 20%

- the fourth thundering blast, use saber ward again

- keep interrupting all Force lightnings with your kick.

Interrupts Interrupts Interrupts...that's the key.

At your level you have three - Force Kick 8 sec CD, Force stasis 60 sec CD, and Pommel Strike 45 sec CD. Force Kick is not on the GCD (you can use it "between" other abilities).

For survivability are you using Saber Ward?

I did it. The stubborn SOB finally fell. I think it was mostly luck but it's done. Of course I'm now having difficulty with the first mission of the second chapter but who cares. I just wanted to thank everyone for your awesome advice and encouragement. You all rock.