PVE gear >>>> PVP gear in PVP: SCRAP BOLSTER!!!

Darth_Vampirius

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bolster isn't the problem. It is that they added expertise into the bolster at sub-55. Honestly it isn't needed in sub-55, it worked just fine before 2.0 without expertise, especially since they removed it from the PvP gear.

At 55, bolster should be removed, and instead recruit gear needs to be added back in to start 55 PvP, which is equal to the lowest tier of 55 PvP gear, just blue, and non-augmentable.

Bolster isn't the problem. It is that they added expertise into the bolster at sub-55. Honestly it isn't needed in sub-55, it worked just fine before 2.0 without expertise, especially since they removed it from the PvP gear.

At 55, bolster should be removed, and instead recruit gear needs to be added back in to start 55 PvP, which is equal to the lowest tier of 55 PvP gear, just blue, and non-augmentable.

Oh, I see. You make some good points. BW, hire this guy!

Bolster is a good mechanism and some form of it is used in WoW and many other mmos to insure some sort of balance in pvp. The range of scaling possible in pve gear progression isn't possible in pvp without a very large population of players and a finely tuned matchmaking system. Games like GW2 where pvp is emphasized, have opted for complete gear normalization. Bolster isn't needed because all gear in pvp is equal.

My suspicion is that it isn't bolster that people are objecting to so much as they wish to enjoy a statistical advantage over other players and are upset that the mindless gear grind used to achieve that end has largely been neutralized.

That being said, it's obvious the newly released bolster system needs some tweaking but Bioware has acknowledged that.

Edited by MotorCityMan

From another thread^^^

I havent spent one comm on Lvl 55 PvP gear.. Save your comms people, buy lockboxes/meds/stims til this mess is sorted out..

We do need bolster however. There has to be some baseline to somewhat equalize players engaged in PvP.

Here is a read for you... http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=627519

Edited by L-RANDLE

I don't mind bolster as a mechanic but the problem is this:

If you take someone in FULL PvE gear and give them "free" expertise, you are essentially giving them stats beyond their current stat allotment of their ilevel gear. Its essentially making them better by taking them beyond their ilevel.

Now take someone in Full PvP gear where the system is doing nothing for him:

He remains constrained by the ilevel of his gear. He isn't gettiing any free stats, so to speak.

The PvE player got free stats beyond his gear while the PvP players is constrained for having PvP gear at his current ilevel.

I think Bolster needs to simply erase your gear if you are not in PvP gear and replace it with some base stat.

I think Bolster needs to simply erase your gear if you are not in PvP gear and replace it with some base stat.

^^^^ The simplest solution.

Per class, per item slot, decide on a budget (say 5% lower than partisan). If your particular item slot has any expertise on it, don't change the stats. If it doesn't, then preset that slot to the stat decided apriory.

Say someone comes in w/ full pve gear (whatever level -greens, blues, arkanian). Then, as a whole, his gear will be 5% lower than partisan. He can comfortably pvp, get comms, contribute to the wz, and start buying new gear.

Conqueror should be about 5% above partisan levels. (Dunno where it is now). Augments could account for an additional what... 5%? So difference between highest tier (conqueror + augments) and pve would be 15%.

Edited by CBRGhostRider

And just like communism the bolster helps the lazy, stupid, inpatient, talentless losers.

I destroy lazy, stupid, impatient and talentless losers. Last time I check, those baddies can still make you lose a game. The bolster doesn't fix the bads, it exposes them to the light.

Right now iam sitting on 2018 expertise , almost 2500 main stat and 28.4k hp as a GS before going into wz. Bw already acknowledged that some combination of pve gear right now will give a slight edge in some situations , but they already have a fix for this in 2.01. I suggest you guys spend more time in game, and less time beating a dead horse. Edited by Thubb

This new bolster is like communism.

There is a reason why communism never worked.

^ this!

Grind gear is a "carrot in the stick" to MMO players, PvE or PvP. The old system (free Recruit, Tier 1 and Tier 2 - PvP gear) was doing OK. Couldn`t see anything wrong with that. If BW were so concerned about the gap between the tiers, they could make the Recruit gear a little better, as we had just a very little gap between WH and EWH.

I know that a lot of people are posting this, but the naked (bolster? oops!) truth is: add this same bolster system to the PvE Operations, with crazy naked PvP players slaping HM The Terror from Beyond in the face, and PvE players will be occupying the front doors of EA`s building, breaking the cars of EA`s CEOs with baseball bats! ;)

Basically any kind of bolster system is too hard for bw to pull off.

What should happen is...

1. Even stats across the board for lowbies. If you want to get a little flashy then have some unlock that you can either get from questing (or the cartel market...BW is listening now!). That would allow you to mess with several of your stats.

For example, you could change main, end, crit, surge, alac. To increase one you have to decrease another and have all of them cap around 5% or so just to make it easy on balancing.

2. For 55s take away most of the modding for pvp. This isn't needed for pvp. Some pvp gear progression is fine but it should be rather obvious. Leave true min/maxing for pve types. PVP should be about skill more than getting several sets worth of gear and then stomping noobs.

They could leave a few pieces moddable for ppl that want some slight boost (maybe weapons and body armor for example). This would also solve a lot of balance issues people wrongly qq about.

3. For 55s Buff everyone up to the same stats in pvp and make these stats about 2-3% below the first tier of 55 pvp armor. This way pvp gives some slight reward but not too much and this is a range that is still purely about skill.

4. For 55s have the 2nd tier 2-3% better than the first tier of 55 pvp armor. This again would be noticeable but still reasonable and still more about skill.

5. For 55s make the first tier cheaper than it is currently. I know you can get it really fast (I got wh within a few days on all 8 of my 50s) but lets make it even faster. Don't give noobs the gear excuse and make them rage quit.

6. For 55s make the 2nd tier of 55 pvp gear decently more expensive than it currently is. This would be your grind. Also, 3% is still pretty big in teamplay pvp. That 3% really can make all the difference and is still very much worth it gear progression wise. Also, I am saying this having 8 chars I will have to gear up so I am not trying to screw the ppl still leveling lol since I am one of them.

7. Off topic but there are a buttload of premades now so add premade matching. I want to premade but I refuse to make a good one again until premade matching is implemented. Pugstomping is for drinking and for mediocre losers.

Just a question: if expertise was removed from our gear in sub 50's why does bolster still give expertise? Does that not defeat the purpose?

On that train of thought... Pull bolster from lvl 55 wz's entirely. At that point people can afford some gear at least thus again... Defeating the point of bolster.

This new bolster is like communism.

There is a reason why communism never worked.

No it's really not like communism at all. Communism would be more like earning comms for a central authority who then distributes them as it deems appropriate.

This is more like the government offering subsidies to small businesses.

It's deeper than this though. Bioware was "so sure" of their bolster system that they made pvp items grade 65 and pve items grade 72.

This means even if they were to suddenly remove all bolster in the 55 bracket they would have to rebalance the pvp gear OR people would still require pve gear to min/max.

To get rid of bolster would mean adding recruit and that never worked i do think level 55 bolster is a issue but it is also the expansion largely i mean has anyone geared in the slightest from 51 to 55 from makeb? Short answer is no you don't get the gear you need to compete at 55 so what are they to do add bolster instead as a "quick fix". Personally getting to grind partisan while leveling from 51-55 would be nice as people who want to pvp will and people who don't won't. Another good way to do it was remove the expertise aspect of bolster i think balancing stat increase would be a lot simpler and giving everyone just a flat expertise out of pvp gear of around 1.6-1.7k instead of it alternating on what you leave on and off.

I don't mind bolster as a mechanic but the problem is this:

If you take someone in FULL PvE gear and give them "free" expertise, you are essentially giving them stats beyond their current stat allotment of their ilevel gear. Its essentially making them better by taking them beyond their ilevel.

Now take someone in Full PvP gear where the system is doing nothing for him:

He remains constrained by the ilevel of his gear. He isn't gettiing any free stats, so to speak.

The PvE player got free stats beyond his gear while the PvP players is constrained for having PvP gear at his current ilevel.

^this x100

On that train of thought... Pull bolster from lvl 55 wz's entirely. At that point people can afford some gear at least thus again... Defeating the point of bolster.

Lets just do the thing I have been saying since the beginning and pull expertise completely..