Swtor: long term motivation ?

BobaFurz

Honestly, I dont see why people would keep a long term subscribtion with this game currently.

I do like the story driven video squences but story is not all for an mmorpg, the world feels quiete lifeless and you dont have the feeling to explore something. There is no adventure feeling, too many maps with narrow paths, not a feeling that you are actually walking around on a planet, thre is lack of an immersive world.

Npc´s are stiff, sounds are missing from your own character when you activte animation, sounds and animations are missing from Npc´s, often they are grouped as 3.

At the end the game doesnt deliver for me any andventure and immersive world to just discover anything, you just go on a narrow path to advance with your leveling.

If you are starting new alts, you did see most quest already except your storyline for the new character itself...but you get guided again on the narrow and same path.

Long term motivation ?

So far we have 3 really tiny Battlegrounds for pvp, which gets boring already before you reach lvl 50. They are way to small and playing Huttball isnt really StarWars at all, planting bombs and rushing is just a big zerg at the doors or on the way to the next section.

World pvp is very rare and I dont know what to say about ILLUM, there is not much going on.

There are just 2 new flashpoints for lvl 50, all the other flashpoints are just the same ones again on hardmode.

Iam not quiete sure how this should motivate for a long term subscribtion.

Edited by BobaFurz

There is alot of long term motivation.

Operations, PvP, Legacy Levels, Alts, Datacrons and Lore objects and so on.

It seems like you want the game to be bad to justify you going back to WoW. Why wait. Just go back now. Don't let everyone else who enjoy SWTOR stop you.

I'm not sure why so many people are advocating so much for big open worlds. I played a MMO for a long time with big open worlds: SWG. All it meant was big empty spaces between the content. Look at the Dune Sea on Tatooine (which is big, open and empty) and tell me you want every planet to be exactly like that.

It seems like you want the game to be bad to justify you going back to WoW. Why wait. Just go back now. Don't let everyone else who enjoy SWTOR stop you.

The truth is that OP does have some good points regarding the static world and the linearity (well, as far as linearity goes at least up until Tatooine, which seems pretty awesome so far, just got there). Don't get me wrong, I'm loving the game so far and they don't hamper my enjoyment, but other games have done a better job in this department.

I think though that there is long term motivation, all one needs to do is think about what they would enjoy. I for one look forward to maxing out every base class (and some advanced), and am enjoying crafting enough to pursue it at max level. Also, I want to explore the worlds more fully and find as many datacrons and lore objects as possible... Humble goals, but hey that's what I enjoy :D

I dont want to stop anyone to enjoy the game, its just my opinion. There is hope for ILLUM, but the 3 tiny BG´s and 2 Flashpoints are not enough to hold me for longer, since the world itself doesnt invite me to explore anyhting except looking for datacrons which actually have a static spawn points and people release already guides where to find them.

You get delivered everything on a silver plate in this game, boxes are on your map, signs for quests, heck even the crafting is done for you from your companion.

Iam sure most players are walking around with their transparent map open following the narrow path to the next quest symbol, not really immersive for me when it comes to exploring the world.

Edited by BobaFurz

I dont want to stop anyone to enjoy the game, its just my opinion. There is hope for ILLUM, but the 3 tiny BG´s and 2 Flashpoints are not enough to hold me for longer, since the world itself doesnt invite me to explore anyhting except looking for datacrons which actually have a static spawn point and people release already guides where to find them.

You get delivered everything on a silver plate in this game, boxes are on your map, signs for quests.

Iam sure most players are walking around with their transparent map open following the narrow path to the next quest symbol, not really immersive for me when it comes to exploring the world.

2 Flashpoints?

Every FP can be played on hardmode at 50, so that's at least 10ish

10 max level dungeons and 2 raids with 3 modes is more than most MMOs have at launch.

I'm wondering what people expected? 20 dungeons and 10 raids at launch?

2 Flashpoints?

Every FP can be played on hardmode at 50, so that's at least 10ish

10 max level dungeons and 2 raids with 3 modes is more than most MMOs have at launch.

I'm wondering what people expected? 20 dungeons and 10 raids at launch?

Unfortunately, I think they thought content would be limitless. No end to the amount of content ever, at all...

Unfortunately, I think they thought content would be limitless. No end to the amount of content ever, at all...

I believe its 3 soon to be 4 normal mode 50 FPs. Not everything has a hard mode but 6 and soon to be 7 is not that good. However its as good as the current competition. Its amazing the high standards people have for new MMOs when the currently existing ones have less current content.

Open world PvP is kinda joke. There are too many private instances for factions. While leveling your character time to time you feel yourself rolled a char in PvE server.

As a PvPer i cannot see a proper long term motivation.

Warzone grind? No thanks...

Ilum? If there's a real challenge which is none novadays. Why not...

But

If i had a chance way back to day that i paid the game. I'd not do that and wait until PvP considered seriously and structured as a long term content.

Now, compared to PvE elements and amazingly well crafted storyline and questing PvP is failing bad. And releasing the game in that shape is a shame. Sorry for being harsh but its a bitter reality IMO.

I'm not sure why so many people are advocating so much for big open worlds. I played a MMO for a long time with big open worlds: SWG. All it meant was big empty spaces between the content. Look at the Dune Sea on Tatooine (which is big, open and empty) and tell me you want every planet to be exactly like that.

Same here I like Nar Shaddaa the most

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

oh man

10/10 would lol again

you really do need to get out a bit more, you obviously didnt play wow at launch either.

The only thing wow had for level 60s at launch was two instances with one difficulty level, MC did not actually work for about a month, It also had no dailys or pvp games.

Edited by Rayvonuk

Open world PvP is kinda joke. There are too many private instances for factions. While leveling your character time to time you feel yourself rolled a char in PvE server.

As a PvPer i cannot see a proper long term motivation.

Warzone grind? No thanks...

Ilum? If there's a real challenge which is none novadays. Why not...

But

If i had a chance way back to day that i paid the game. I'd not do that and wait until PvP considered seriously and structured as a long term content.

Now, compared to PvE elements and amazingly well crafted storyline and questing PvP is failing bad. And releasing the game in that shape is a shame. Sorry for being harsh but its a bitter reality IMO.

Open world pvp is pretty bad. Only planet it was really fun on was Voss. Other than that it didn't seem like I was on a pvp server at all.

Truthfully, I'm on a month to month. It all comes down to how they play out the end game content. As of right now, I"m satisfied, but as with anything that can change. I couldn't see myself doing six month sub, but there's nothing wrong with someone choosing to do so it's just a preference that's all.

It is 100% Honesty moment for any player and Game designer: Not every MMO will be fun or interesting for every player. It's a product. And we are consumers. And that's how the world works. It's not right or wrong, it just is. There's NOTHING wrong about not liking SWTOR any more than any other product. There's NOTHING wrong if you do. And BW/EA can't even try to make every player like it, it's impossible. They will do what every other company does:Try and get most players to stay with it long term, and be happy.

I won't pretend to know numbers, and anyone who post on the boards saying at the end of the free time most people will quit don't know what the **** they are talking about. Same the other way around. It's a minority that come to the boards and read, and even less who post. But in my OPINION based on nothing but how I feel, the game will make it and be around for a while. Some people may think as you do, and they will leave and stay gone. Some will leave, and then later read that SWTOR added _________ and come back to check it out again.

Some players are all about endgame period (it's a valid playstyle) and like any other MMO, once they get there they leave, and come back when more endgame is added, get there, leave again (repeat as needed). For some of them, MMO's are a competition to get to the end, to "beat" the game.

Some players just remember seeing Star Wars IV, V, and VI as a kid with their friends. Then going home and playing outside (Yes, kids used to do that) as Darth Vader, Han Solo or Chewy, Jedi, Boba Fett, being droids, using discarded shipping crates as starships, etc. For that group, unless the game gets stupid, it will be fun playing, as long as new content is added over time (at 7yrs WoW keeps adding more stuff, EO just added another expansion, so it's safe to assume SWTOR will add more).

Some players will play SWTOR (or any other MMO) because their friends do, and they are more about the social part of the game. They may be BF/GF or Husband/wife to a fan, or kids to a fan.

This is a long way of saying, every player brings their own expectations of fun to the game, some will have yours, some will have mine, and so on. BioWare will make the game fun for the majority of players.

Open world pvp is pretty bad. Only planet it was really fun on was Voss. Other than that it didn't seem like I was on a pvp server at all.

Thats more to do with the players than anything else i think, the instancing does not help either.

There was no pvp quests or anything on wow, the players used their imaginations to get it going during the best era of wow outdoor pvp.

Since battlegrounds and area, the players have began to want everything on a plate with no effort required imo.

Edited by Rayvonuk

If just Bioware sticks to supporting this game I see me playing for years to come. Its a really good game and I'm far from burnt out yet and already got more content then I can see me consume this year. I think a lot has to do with the your playrate. It seems that most MMO:s released today are optimized for 3 hour weekdays and 5 hour weekend sessions.

If you play more then you'll probably consume more content then what is available and will get bored. Myself I put maybe 2-3 hours tops 5 or 6 days a week so content is more then enough for me.

Thats more to do with the players than anything else i think, the instancing does not help either.

There was no pvp quests or anything on wow, the players used their imaginations to get it going during the best era of wow outdoor pvp.

Since battlegrounds and area, the players have began to want everything on a plate with no effort required imo.

It has to do with the world design more than instancing. Bioware seems to coddle us until 25 when we hit Tatooine. Even after that you basically have an empire and a republic quest area and then a middle area with quests for both. That is when you run into world pvp or if you are intentionally looking for trouble you can go to the other side's questing area.

Also class quests seem to lead into other areas which are more enemy territory(at least for the sith warrior). This pattern seems to continue everywhere except Voss. Which is probably a bug but pretty hilarious right now. You will eventually deflag in the republic/empire area in the main city. But as empire I can walk over to the republic district and kill people and the guards don't care. There are also a lot more areas with common questing grounds in Voss which is why I ran into the most world pvp there.

In WoW places like hillsbrad had tons of overlapping quests as well as even earlier places like ashenvale. To be honest I actually prefer TOR over WoW or Rift in this regard. Each planet also has its own danger feeling based on what is going on. It makes a ton of sense that Voss is much more contested and dangerous. But I could see why a lot of world pvp fans don't care for it.

Oh, PvP crowd!

I don't know % wise how big the PvP crowd is. I love the idea of PvP. But I suck at it. Multiple reasons, some are RL issues (I have a long term illness requiring meds that slow me down, kids at home) also I tend to stop paying attention to what's going on around me in game and get caught unaware, lack skill (that can be worked on).

But getting past that...I think the majority of most areas should be PvP, since more than any other setting, Star Wars is about Good Guys Vs Bad Guys. I know why some people don't like PvP: It attracts griefers. If you are a hardcore PvP'r with skill and ethics don't think this is an attack on you. PvE'rs have griefers also. it's just easier to ignore them. And since there is no real loss in death in TOR being a griefer is easy.

I want to think of a game where you can take bounties out on PC's (it should include your credits, and then a risky meeting with a bounty hunter (Makes it more thrilling, and less a chance of griefing). As a non PvP'r (for now) I can think of all manner of quest and things to add to the game.

But I don't think TOR is ready for that large of scope for PvP. Or much more than they have now, yet. There are some bug issues. FPS problems for some people. Gear problems. I've seen the list.

like all parts of the game 9or any MMO) more will make it better, and more will come. When is the question.