Mains in PVP, and the personalities behind them

Lhancelot

Still doesn't mean they're afraid of 1v1s, just that they're working with their team.

I agree, the guy did not paint a pretty picture of ops, but I think he was just poking fun at stealths. We are just having fun here, not like this is some serious diagnosis of how a class played always has the same type of player behind it. :p

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with this Mara/Sent seem to be the more aggressive bunch of the Warrior (In your face) crowd.

When I have a Mara/Sent on my case I usually start laughing because of the intensity of their onslaught...

Whoa! Chill Out!!!

That's how the class plays, at least for Carnage, it's even more so when zen/berserk is up. :rak_02:

I agree with this Mara/Sent seem to be the more aggressive bunch of the Warrior (In your face) crowd...

Whoa! Chill Out!!!

Well, I think to be fair, it's a melee class, so you kinda can't play it without being in your face. Which, if we are going all pyscho-babble here, makes me wonder... is it the personality that makes the class, or the class that makes the personality!? :eek: Maybe once you play a class for a while it warps you to the way that class plays. :p

Personally, I preferred stealth because of nothing to do with PvP. I played stealth for most of the time up until recently because that way I could avoid having to fight mobs on the PvE side when I was trying to just race through class missions.

OP, I guess you are confused a bit : )

It can work out like: due to some players deep inner role playing, some class mechanics can lead different behavior in the chat window, or characteristic interaction with other players.

But guys that have super small **** will not chose a Jug to play with, to counter there "RL issue" by roleplaying a "Brutish and straightforward warrior" ......or do they? : D

This should read as how people categorize and think about other classes no matter how off base they are, all because they got rekt at one point or another by a certain class or premade of some sort or don't understand the classes well enough to counter in regs...

Stealths (Sins/Operatives): Often times seem to be the most whiny and malcontent of all. Maybe something in the class attracts these types of players? Sneaky? Cowardly? Unbecoming? Always wanting to backstab those they envy? Lack of patience seem to want instant kills and when they lose cry A LOT. Also most likely to quit a match if it begins to go south. Probably has a lot to do with the common age of the player, I am sure the majority of stealths are kids or immature types who enjoy exerting control over others in the game.

:rak_02:

what the heck? lol

Mercs: Direct and don't beat around the bush but most seem humble, rarely see mercs talk crap in wzs! usually pretty good natured

oh, it's not that harsh as the "imagination" due to "stealth" classes

so not like the ppl who are playing the shadow, operative... classes, who are probably "kids", "cowardly and unbecoming" : )

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=907335

: D

What do you guys think? Do player's personalities sometimes influence what class someone plays?

I play all classes my self and usually try the under dog classes. This season it's vanguards and pts as for personalities not really sure since I destroy tank and heal on all classes (including all advanced classes). The stealths don't need nerfed rather they simply need a balance adjustment. I think limiting DPS to 1 probe instead of 2 would be anice example of that.

Edited by blackopsranger

I wonder if peoples personalities have something to do with the classes they like the best in PVP?

Snipers: Introspective, patient, rarely talk crap. Usually the type that sits in the background and studies others before they make judgments. Rarely leave matches btw, seems like these guys can handle a full plate of crap and then some.

Fairly accurate

In my experience:

Sorcerors: Smug bastards thinking they're hot ****. Especially healers.

Assassins: Usually cocky, egotistical douches.

Operatives: Uneducated PVE-ers.

Snipers: Uneducated PVE-ers.

Marauders: Casuals who think using 2 lightsabers is cool.

Mercenaries: Casuals who think using 2 blasters is cool.

Juggernauts: People that enjoy very simple, classic "warrior" classes.

PT's: Edgy tryhards.

In my experience:

Sorcerors: Smug bastards thinking they're hot ****. Especially healers.

Assassins: Usually cocky, egotistical douches.

Operatives: Uneducated PVE-ers.

Snipers: Uneducated PVE-ers.

Marauders: Casuals who think using 2 lightsabers is cool.

Mercenaries: Casuals who think using 2 blasters is cool.

Juggernauts: People that enjoy very simple, classic "warrior" classes.

PT's: Edgy tryhards.

Have to admit the cockiest most smug players I have met played sorcs. :p

Have to admit the cockiest most smug players I have met played sorcs. :p

Yeah, and I don't know about you, but most healers I know play heals because they know they can massively influence a match without needing a ton of skill.

Also, what ops are afraid of 1v1s? I regularly charge into groups of 2 or 3 people by myself and hold my own for a while in order to give our team a number advantage. I'd argue that an operative who plays the class properly is probably the most selfless player. They sacrifice getting any high dmg or flashy scoreboard numbers for the chance of carrying the match in objectives. Like

, for example. Key word is "chance", my team couldn't capitalize on a 7v4 unfortunately. Edited by QuiveringPotato

There's always exceptions and I wrote this as just personal experience and perspective. I wouldn't expect everyone to agree with everything I wrote or even most of it.

If you main a stealth, and do not behave the way I described you just might be one of those special ones who is different from the ones I seem to run into the most!

Again, I wrote this quickly and could not add in every detail and facet of the personalities that seem to embody the different classes of the game, but I gave a general idea as best I could.

I didn't mean to make it seem like all stealths are scumbags, I just have found more of the questionable types I have met happened to play stealths too.

Hah. Yes, there are exceptions of course. Isn't it amazing, how that model has exceptions? Who'dve thunk?

Anyway, thank for being a benevolent merc overlord and allowing me to be the exception. Does your profiling work on me too? Seeing as I play shadow and not assassin. Maybe we shadows are a different breed altogether?

If you really want to replace Alrik, you should at least quote a couple of Wikipedia psychoanalysis articles. This holds no water currently, sadly.

Hah. Yes, there are exceptions of course. Isn't it amazing, how that model has exceptions? Who'dve thunk?

Anyway, thank for being a benevolent merc overlord and allowing me to be the exception. Does your profiling work on me too? Seeing as I play shadow and not assassin. Maybe we shadows are a different breed altogether?

If you really want to replace Alrik, you should at least quote a couple of Wikipedia psychoanalysis articles. This holds no water currently, sadly.

LOL. No one can truly replace Alrik.

RIP our beloved resident German conspiracy theorist.

I wonder if peoples personalities have something to do with the classes they like the best in PVP?

Stealths (Sins/Operatives): Often times seem to be the most whiny and malcontent of all. Maybe something in the class attracts these types of players? Sneaky? Cowardly? Unbecoming? Always wanting to backstab those they envy? Lack of patience seem to want instant kills and when they lose cry A LOT. Also most likely to quit a match if it begins to go south. Probably has a lot to do with the common age of the player, I am sure the majority of stealths are kids or immature types who enjoy exerting control over others in the game.

NOTE: Healing ops seem to be the exception here. They often are nice, friendly types but I think that goes with the fact most healers are naturally givers not takers. It takes an unselfish personality to want to give to others and never receive.

Warriors (Juggs/Maras): Brutish and straight forward, sometimes protective and honorable, although some seem to be bullyish in nature too. Easily angered when they can't instantly destroy other classes, guess patience isn't their virtue. A few minority of them stray from the typical personality type described here, but they are rare.

Snipers: Introspective, patient, rarely talk crap. Usually the type that sits in the background and studies others before they make judgments. Rarely leave matches btw, seems like these guys can handle a full plate of crap and then some.

Mercs: Direct and don't beat around the bush but most seem humble, rarely see mercs talk crap in wzs! usually pretty good natured and take deaths well. Guess 4.0 and earlier conditioned these guys to be used to dying quickly and often?

PTs: Steady and even tempered, these guys seem to also be of the humble types. They just go about their business and are usually pretty fun to group with. The PT tanks also seem to be the most laid back of the tanks, too. Even-keeled if you will.

Sorcs: This class seems to have the most diverse and broad personalities playing it. You can find flashy braggarts that play the sorc, and you can find humble, friendly types who just like to wear robes and shoot rocks or lightning out of their fingers.

NOTE: Healing sorcs seem to be the most egotistical of all the healers. I guess having been on top of the healing echelon for awhile has skewed their egos and made them into petulant types. Either that, or the class has simply drawn that type of personality to it. People that like feeling unkillable in a game but at the same time like the accolades that healers can get in PVP would definitely enjoy sorc heals the most.

What do you guys think? Do player's personalities sometimes influence what class someone plays?

What if you play all of them?

Mercenary/Commando- There are a few in this class that very much want the class to stay Niche so they can remain "One of the few" great Merc/Mandos... These are the Merc/Mandos you see supporting the Nerf Merc threads now and the guys that shot down all the buff suggestions (for their own class) prior to 5.0.

Reminds me of the few Gunslingers / Snipers I've constantly read telling me that their class is "totally viable". They often don't wrote that they mean Group Ranked Only.

Well, I'm biased.

All the flavors in the world and you chose to be salty

I - personally - don't believe that *all* people are just as sensitive enough to discover all things.

In Artists, you have all kinds of personalities as well - but what makes them usually stand out is their sentitivity, usually. There are just some kinds of people who just won't be able to produce some kinds of Art. Or, to look at it in a different way, they would look at an Artistic Video Installation and outright say : "What BS is THAT ???" Because they are just not sensitive enough to grasp it.

I really don't believe that - as you imply - a construction worker could become a great Psychology Therapist. Because, he might be very good with working with his hands, and be able to calculate in his mind what is needed to build something, but I don't think that he would have the sensitivity to actually heal severely traumatised people.

Most people here believe that anyone can do anything; then show me a construction worker being an architect. The necessary math might not be that difficult, but the real difficulty lies with the design. Just compare Art Nouveau / Jugendstil buildings with what is being built today. Of course, the architects need those people to actually build the front, crafting those embellishments, but the ideas come from the architects, usually. Just take a look at the buildings by Antonio Gaudí !

I do believe that certain play styles attract certain player personalities. Like someone driving a Formular 1 Racing Car isn't somneione I'd expect driving an British Mini Car. There might be some, but ...

It's to me like I wouldn't expect an Heavy Metal fan to be a fan of the movie "The Last Unicorn" also. There might be some, but ... The Last Unicorn just doesn't fit to the aggressiveness of Heavy Metal, Death Metal etc. .. Mayto to

Melodic Metal, though. And Death Metal and Melodic Metal are already 2 quite different flavours of the same thing ...

I couldn't imagine a Death Metal fan loving the music of Enya. There might be some, but ... the one thing is aggressive, and the other thing is so much "unaggressive" that I don't have a word for this state.

Or, a Bhuddist Monk loving Death Metal music ?

The real underlying question is : In how far is phenology able to tell us something about the what dwells within ?

Can a Gangsta be in fact a fragile, senstitive, artistic soul, one that never comes to light ?

Some people say that Arrogance is often used by more fragile souls as a kind of shield to keep others (who ccould hurt them) away from them, for example.

My current saying is this : "If one looks for food, he will go to the place where food is. If one looks for power, then one goes to the placxe where power is." What one is looking for, can usually found in places where it can be found, so to say.

This means, in my example, if I want to have power, then I'd work my way up to the top of a firm or a company. In the end, I might end up like Mr. Trump. He was looking for power, now he has power. There is no more "top" he can get to.

In my opinion, a similar thing might be true for play styles in games. Whereas I must say that games by and for extrovert personalities are flooding the market - Icann them "action games". Games for introvert personalities basically don't exist, except in niches.

If I want to have food, then I go to places where I can have food.

If I want to have power, then I'd want to go to where power is.

If I'd want to troll people, I would play with a class which which trolling people would be most possible.

This is the way I'm thinking.