Opinion on 1.4 balance.

UGLYMRJ

I play the weakest class and I got two nerfs.

Needless to say I can't keep paying for a product I don't enjoy.

You also got buffs. You know, like Explosive Dart no longer sharing a cooldown with Thermal Detonator, and a ranged interrupt. Is this WS Huan? Pull it together!

As for my opinion,

Smash was fine in PvP before the update. Giving them more armor penetration, as well as more damage and crit to their execute, a faster smash and the abitity to shorten the cooldown of obliterate and smash wasn't necessary. They took one of the easiest and most powerful PvP specs and made it easier and more powerful, which is baffling to me.

I'm quite happy with the operative and sorcerer changes, all though they are quite overpowered in the right hands - I forsee some nerfs in the future.

The Resolve changes are forgiving to mistakes and you actually spend MORE time CC'd than ever, which again makes me wonder what they were thinking. People are bein burned down in a couple stun durations more often, without much chance to move, unless they have their stun break up.

To me though, the worst part are the little changes they decided to make without even putting in the patch notes - that's quite irritating.

Overall, contrary to what you may have read above, I do enjoy the update - I simply disagree with certain changes.

Edited by vimm

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm quite happy with the operative and sorcerer changes, all though they are quite overpowered in the right hands - I forsee some nerfs in the future.

So as expected the solution is simply to nerf operatives? :D

Over all I agree tho... rage buff was not needed and while balance is not perfect of course... better.

And resolve changes are bad... IMO that little white bar needs to fill more... not less.

So as expected the solution is simply to nerf operatives? :D

Over all I agree tho... rage buff was not needed and while balance is not perfect of course... better.

And resolve changes are bad... IMO that little white bar needs to fill more... not less.

Just so everyone knows... smash isn't working correctly right now, it has a fail rate we (some people testing it out) figure is between 10-20%. It's happening both in pvp and pve. This isn't a miss/dodge/etc. The numbers show up correctly on the hud but the damage is never applied to the target.

Just so everyone knows... smash isn't working correctly right now, it has a fail rate we (some people testing it out) figure is between 10-20%. It's happening both in pvp and pve. This isn't a miss/dodge/etc. The numbers show up correctly on the hud but the damage is never applied to the target.

I saw that from someone on here... probably you. I would think that woulda been one of the emergency fixes from this morning. Have you tested it today?

And if so... is GTN still down too?

I think it's an okay change, but not in this environment. Like a former poster said, the time to kill in this game is ridiculously low. A 4 second stun is fatal. Back before 1.2 this game didn't feel like stun wars at all. Not in my opinion, but I'm aware that people were crying on the forums over stuns back then as well.

They really need to up the time on time to kill. The new Recruit gear was a big let down as well, it should have been as good as battlemaster or one step better. I'm tired of gear being the decisive factor in warzone matches.

Personally, I think PvP is poorly balanced at the moment. It's still fun, but it heavily favors teams that stack specific DPS classes. I don't even need to mention these classes, because everyone (except for Bioware, apparently) knows what they are already. There are many classes that simply are not needed in PvP and can easily be replaced by another class that will do the same job better. In many cases, another class will perform MUCH better, making team composition less about individual player skill and more about stacking classes that are overpowered. That is not balanced.

Either the Bioware devs in charge of PvP do not play their own game, or they are getting feedback from people who don't play on a level that would give their opinion any credibility. The buffs to rage spec in 1.4 are an obvious indicator that somebody does not know what they are doing. On the other hand, maybe it's not ignorance at all and they want to always have classes that are deemed overpowered or FOTM to keep people making new characters and playing the game. Whatever the case, there are some pretty obvious balance issues in PvP right now and apparently, it is more important that we all get to see our characters' facial expressions than see a balanced warzone match ;)

I saw that from someone on here... probably you. I would think that woulda been one of the emergency fixes from this morning. Have you tested it today?

I haven't tested it since last night. I hope the GTN is back up though, such a pain. I'm getting all my augs together for my oper who is lvl 48... a new 50 on the way!! I won't be playing at all this weekend so he'll have to wait till next weekend, was hoping for two new 50s in two weeks.

and as far as the smash went last night. I didn't really notice the damage wasn't applying until I was doing some black hole dalies to get creds. I'd do a 5k+ smash on a mob and notice that they were all stunned but no damage was applied. I went back into the WZ and noticed it happens but veeeery rarely.

First, I want to say that I would hate for this to turn into a massive wall of arguments. Balance is a matter of opinion and perspective. It is NOT fact. Of course there are certain things that are generally agreed on such as the Merc being at the bottom of the food chain, it doesn't necessarily make it fact. There are more Muslims on this planet than any other religion... Millions of people believe in the book of Mormon... it does not make either of them fact nor undeniably true. An extreme example but I would hope that some of you see my point.

So... to the point of this thread.

It is not intended for people to complain marauders are still OP, or that mercs are still under powered. But simply, I am curious if people think that 1.4 balance in PvP is better or worse than it was in 1. 3, and why.

When i see the PvP videos and when i see the people PvP'ing, there is not mutch hope to get a proper feedback.

I think, that is because the most people underperform in PvP because they dont use all the available tools.

It is obviously to me, that these people will give feedback here in forums, feeling their characters weaker then others, or doing not enuff dmg.

Not many people have the scientific feeling to engage balance issues and go down the numbers to find a counter skill or strategy.

I haven't tested it since last night. I hope the GTN is back up though, such a pain. I'm getting all my augs together for my oper who is lvl 48... a new 50 on the way!! I won't be playing at all this weekend so he'll have to wait till next weekend, was hoping for two new 50s in two weeks.

and as far as the smash went last night. I didn't really notice the damage wasn't applying until I was doing some black hole dalies to get creds. I'd do a 5k+ smash on a mob and notice that they were all stunned but no damage was applied. I went back into the WZ and noticed it happens but veeeery rarely.

Hopefully both were fixed this morning. Even very rarely is a problem... even if they just got a buff they didn't need. :D shoulda been working on leveling my jug more instead of my sorc. :mad:

When i see the PvP videos and when i see the people PvP'ing, there is not mutch hope to get a proper feedback.

I think, that is because the most people underperform in PvP because they dont use all the available tools.

It is obviously to me, that these people will give feedback here in forums, feeling their characters weaker then others, or doing not enuff dmg.

Not many people have the scientific feeling to engage balance issues and go down the numbers to find a counter skill or strategy.

While a little confusing I think I see your point and I agree if I'm understanding you. This game does have a very casual and non competitive player base for the most part. In most games players actually strive to excel and win... I feel like this community as a whole is far less competitive and want easy wins handed to them instead or working for them.

Overall DPS has been toned down in WZs IMO however, we will all be bowing down before our JugGuardian overlords before the week is over.

I like others didn't feel that they needed a buff, but here we are.

Not sure how overall damage could possibly be down. In fact, they introduced new weapons for everyone which should be making the overall damage go UP as more people acquire them. There are also multiple classes/builds dealing considerably more damage than before due to some of the changes in 1.4.

Edited by Legendari

I played a little today and noticed in PvE smash was not applying the damage/stun to standard/weak melee targets who were attacking me, so they did not fix it as of an hour ago.

Edited by Devilk

Overall DPS has been toned down in WZs IMO however, we will all be bowing down before our JugGuardian overlords before the week is over.

I like others didn't feel that they needed a buff, but here we are.

How do you figure that DPS has been toned down?

The new sprint for Ops/Smugglers is awesome. That, combined with the snare equalization to PTs/Vans, is huge. If I need to get away, I can. And, especially in VS, if I need to switch sides, I can in 50% of an instant. My survivability and damage hasn't changed but I don't feel as hampered by the massive quantity of snares/roots in the game. The change to the Sorc/Sage KBs is a definite bonus in HB as I'm not terrifited of going up on the cat walks anymore - Snipers/GSers still make this a hazzard. Oh, and I can run the ball now like a ghetto Sage/Sorc - screw you fire traps, I've got my new Keds on!

Either the Bioware devs in charge of PvP do not play their own game, or they are getting feedback from people who don't play on a level that would give their opinion any credibility.

They've been guilty of this since their 'Friends and Family' Beta testing lol. You'd think that they'd have figured out by now that by 'Cherry-Picking' their testers, they've screwed their results lol..

You also got buffs. You know, like Explosive Dart no longer sharing a cooldown with Thermal Detonator, and a ranged interrupt. Is this WS Huan? Pull it together!

As for my opinion,

Smash was fine in PvP before the update. Giving them more armor penetration, as well as more damage and crit to their execute, a faster smash and the abitity to shorten the cooldown of obliterate and smash wasn't necessary. They took one of the easiest and most powerful PvP specs and made it easier and more powerful, which is baffling to me.

The Resolve changes are forgiving to mistakes and you actually spend MORE time CC'd than ever, which again makes me wonder what they were thinking. People are bein burned down in a couple stun durations more often, without much chance to move, unless they have their stun break up.

To me though, the worst part are the little changes they decided to make without even putting in the patch notes - that's quite irritating.

Overall, contrary to what you may have read above, I do enjoy the update - I simply disagree with certain changes.

The interrupt is the only viable thing merc/mando got. The range decrease in cryo hurts Gunnery Commando alot in PvP, the same with the nerf to stockstrike. The duration of the root is so short that the knock back was better. The snare is pointless on FA since it clears 1 second after the channel. With all the elemental and internal damage in PvP our defense is awful and we lost one ability that kept space and had one reduced to 10M.

The interrupt is the only viable thing merc/mando got. The range decrease in cryo hurts Gunnery Commando alot in PvP, the same with the nerf to stockstrike. The duration of the root is so short that the knock back was better. The snare is pointless on FA since it clears 1 second after the channel. With all the elemental and internal damage in PvP our defense is awful and we lost one ability that kept space and had one reduced to 10M.

But hey, Snipers/GSers still have their 30m 3 target AE Mezz - that's balanced, right? ;)

Been playing my sage alot (augmented custom wh gear) blind bubble healer spec and I am loving the changes. The survivability of this spec is through the roof post patch. I lost my range on my hard stun but gained overall utility and survivability. The new self heal crits for more than our long cast heal. Only downside is the fact that the only spec that was buffed is the heals hybrid I run. Any other sage specs only gained sleightly from the patch.

The new recruit stuff is a big improvement over the old one. My fresh lvl 50 sentinel is happy to repport he can do stuff without feeling totally gimped (bear in mind l capped comms pre-50 and legacied a wh bracer to him)

All in all. 1.4 works for me. Looking forwards to the next balance patch. They aren't near what I hope pvp will become, but they are on the right path.

im mostly wondering why the pvp development team want pvp to be so "bursty"? it is burstier than ever after patch 1.4 we are now very Close to wow pvp nuke or get nuked, hope that you crit a lot and win else there isnt much to do.

No pvp is terrible now, i mean the whole system is great but the resolve tweaks they have made have really mssed things up.

I am so angry i wasted days of my life leveling up a char to just hav to leave the game cos of a horrible change they made and one i know they will not change

im mostly wondering why the pvp development team want pvp to be so "bursty"? it is burstier than ever after patch 1.4 we are now very Close to wow pvp nuke or get nuked, hope that you crit a lot and win else there isnt much to do.

Heh... its the Healer vs DPS and the TTK vs DPS arms race! Without burst damage and with just sustained damage, healers can heal themselves and others through a dedicated attack, so they make burst more important, so your damage spikes can outperform incoming heals. Without burst or spike damage, fights would last forever or be constant stalemates with healers on both sides. The flip side is that people will complain that the burst is too high (which admittedly it is in some instances) and they will either decrease the burst or increase the heals. If they decrease the burst people will complain that their burst classes are ineffective or that it takes too long to kill anyone. If they increase heals then all the "non healers" will complain that healers are OP and impossible to kill (which again in some instances was the case). Now throw in the ever increasing hit point totals with better gear and better itemization and it gets even more complicated. They have to find a balance. Unfortunately, balance seems to be like beauty, in the eye of the beholder, and not really "universal". I'm not sure there will ever be a pvp game that allows for customization of your character and equipment that is truly "balanced" for everyone. I'm not saying they should stop trying, just that its probably near impossible to obtain. Take for example the Jugg/mara I apparently offended yesterday who was complaining about the previous 30m stun troopers and vanguards had. To him that was unbalanced. To many troopers and bounty hunters, now having no way to keep him at greater distance so he can more easily Smash you for 6k hits is unbalanced.

I agree with your comment though. Unfortunately i dont see a good solution either, at least one that does not include decreasing our ability to customize our characters. Still I hope someone who works at BW who is smarter than me can figure it out!

Been playing my sage alot (augmented custom wh gear) blind bubble healer spec and I am loving the changes. The survivability of this spec is through the roof post patch.

You're not kidding. I jumped onto my (also bubble blind healer specced) sage last night for the first time since the patch and OH. MY. GOD. I could almost feel the rage radiating from the screen as people kept trying to kill me and couldn't.

That was the most fun I've had on my sage in ages.

I'm experiencing this too I think. I'm also having an issue where I will get knocked back and go for my force leap. I won't leap but the cooldown will fire. Then I'll run up and attack and I get the animation stutter and red text on the screen. Basically I have to Guardian Leap to a friendly to break the bug and keep fighting.

Anyone else?

As for balance feedback, I guess I am still feeling out the new capabilities of the other classes. It's awesome leaping to a consular and running behind them before they hit force wave - mwahaha!

Focus spec is insane right now. All I really cared about was the animation fix on Sweep. The other buffs are overkill. I am practically 3-shotting people.

CC seems fine - I haven't really noticed a big change.