So, 5 years later... Does it mean we can finally get... *Spoilers*

Sardorim

Jaxo is dead. Sorry. I was sad, too. And very annoyed, because if she's in the maintenance level full of pipes and whatnot on a huge space station, she could easily just stick herself somewhere she won't be pulled into space and hold on while the level gets vented. (And why would venting atmo even make whatever was damaged start working, anyway?)

Bad writing, all around.

Anyway.

For a character who is good, the LS option is always canon if there is a choice. (And conversely, if the character is evil the DS option is the canon choice.)

That was George Lucas' (and by extension, LucasFilm's) ruling on SW video games. It absolutely, 100% applies to all of TOR from 1-50, because all of that content was released before the Disney takeover of LucasFilm in 2012. I don't know if it applies to 50-55 content, since that released before Disney wiped the EU slate in April 2014. I imagine it does, because despite the takeover, Disney had made no comments on EU material yet. And I don't know about 55-60 (that is, SOR), because although it all released after the conversion of EU to Legends, Disney has yet to make an official statement on the status of choice in video games. It's entirely possible the original LucasFilm ruling is still in effect. It's also possible that Bioware now has control over what the canon choice in TOR is, but how they would communicate that to players is anyone's guess.

TL;DR: Sergeant Jaxo died so that others could live. Honor that sacrifice; do not seek to change it, for that is the path to the Dark Side.

Edited by Diviciacus

She didn't die for my Trooper.:eek:

Eh, I don't agree with that. Especially when most "Follow Order" choices are Dark Side for Trooper.

That and LS/DS makes no sense for Bounty Hunter and Smuggler.

Edited by Sardorim

Not to be a jerk, but whether you agree with it or not is kind of irrelevant. LucasFilm's word is law, and I will prove it to you:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon#Canon_and_games

It says right in there: "In side-choosing games such as the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic series and Dark Forces saga where the player has the choice between light side and dark side, as of yet, the light side ending has been verified as canonical by Lucasfilm in all games."

Anyway.

Trooper LS/DS is do what is right vs blindly follow orders. Think Nuremberg war crimes trials for former Nazi soldiers: "I was just following orders!" "No. You still had a choice, and you chose to help kill six million Jews." If you paid any attention to the story, think of how many times General Garza is like "tell no one anything and kill everyone ever."

Do you remember the quest on Coruscant where the guy is like "LOL I turned these civilians into cyborg super soldier timebombs!" General Garza essentially tells you "nuke it from orbit; it's the only way to be sure," and the LS option was "**** that noise!" Then later, you get a mail from the cleanup crew saying that after checking the guy's computer records and and giving physicals to the people you saved, it turns out you shut down his little operation before he actually managed to do any of the surgeries. The mail is, I presume, the same if you choose the DS option, just with the added layer of player guilt. Does killing innocent people because your CO tells you to sound like something a good person would do?

LS/DS for bounty hunter and smuggler are pretty obvious, though. LS choices = honorable. DS choices = scumbag.

It says right in there: "In side-choosing games such as the Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic series and Dark Forces saga where the player has the choice between light side and dark side, as of yet, the light side ending has been verified as canonical by Lucasfilm in all games."

Underlined may be key.

The light side ending is always canon. But miscellaneous decisions are not endings. The policy would be too restrictive otherwise. And kinda dumb if you think about it, because if you apply this to every choice, it amounts to "good guys always do good things", something which is contradicted by the movies.

If A New Hope was a game, Han Solo leaving before the Battle of Yavin would've been a dark side choice, even though he comes back later. Luke giving into his rage, even momentarily, during the final confrontation with the Emperor in Jedi, likewise would've been dark. It's ridiculous.

Edited by CrutchCricket

That was the most concise selection, but it does go on to state that main-story LS options are canon as well. It does also specifically state that LucasArts was mum on sidequests, but I'm pretty sure in TOR's case the class stories count as main story. I wonder if the world arcs count as sidequest or main story?

"It is not known however if it does impose additional restrictions on the secondary story and the outcome of any individual alignment-defining sidequest or choice in the game since they are not strictly set. For example the protagonist of KOTOR canonically followed the light and helped the Galactic Republic destroy the Star Forge but that doesn't mean that he didn't kill Bendak Starkiller or that he didn't join the GenoHaradan (both dark-aligned options in the game).

However, Wookieepedia articles assume that the player picks the light side choice for all scenarios;"

-same article

First set of underlines: I take this to mean not just sidequests, as it says "or choice" in regards to "individual alignment defining". So something like the Jaxo decision while part of the main story qualifies more as individual defining, rather than plot defining.

Second underline:Wookiepedia assumes. Clearly the LucasFilm ruling is by no means exhaustive and comprehensive. So there is room for interpretation by us just as much as there is for them.

As I said I believe a blanket application of "always light for Republic/Lightsided characters" is too restrictive and rules out behavior that would occur in SW stories in any other medium, not to mention plausibly occurring in fallible and unpredictable (i.e. normal) human or anthropomorphic alien characters. I don't think anyone should or will officially declare it thus.

Edited by CrutchCricket

There is no "canon" for the players, yet. That bit about light side being canon by default was made up by Wookieepedia fanboys who like everything to be absolute (that way they can whine about how their headcanon isn't official). Also arguing against this is the fact that we have never been able to play a Sith before this game, and thus light side is expected. SWTOR also has non-force-using classes where it doesn't really make sense for them to adhere to Force user codes. Bioware has said the will never set a canon version of your character while the game is still online. They will never outright say that, for example, the Consular was a female Zabrak Sage healer who chose mostly light side options and romanced Iresso.

There is no "canon" for the players, yet. That bit about light side being canon by default was made up by Wookieepedia fanboys who like everything to be absolute (that way they can whine about how their headcanon isn't official). Also arguing against this is the fact that we have never been able to play a Sith before this game, and thus light side is expected.

Force Unleashed says hello. And technically KOTOR as well.

As for Wookiepedia, they mark specifically where they make assumptions about non-ending light/dark interactions so I'm not sure where you're getting "absolute" from.

Finally, apart from the official statement from LucasFilm/LucasArts about light side being canon, you also have precedent from early games (Dark Forces and so on) where dark side is not only non-canon because someone says so but because the consequences clearly contradict the established timeline. It usually involves the PC killing everyone and ruling the galaxy, when this is clearly not the case in surrounding works. In fact, apart from Bioware games, every Star Wars game with light/dark options does the same thing.

Force Unleashed says hello. And technically KOTOR as well.

As for Wookiepedia, they mark specifically where they make assumptions about non-ending light/dark interactions so I'm not sure where you're getting "absolute" from.

Finally, apart from the official statement from LucasFilm/LucasArts about light side being canon, you also have precedent from early games (Dark Forces and so on) where dark side is not only non-canon because someone says so but because the consequences clearly contradict the established timeline. It usually involves the PC killing everyone and ruling the galaxy, when this is clearly not the case in surrounding works. In fact, apart from Bioware games, every Star Wars game with light/dark options does the same thing.

How it was usually done was that LA would canonize alignment/choice in some encyclopedic publication, or in some game's sequel entry. Until then, Wookieepedia would basically fill-in-the-blank about what the canon outcome was.

Not to be a jerk, but whether you agree with it or not is kind of irrelevant. LucasFilm's word is law, and I will prove it to you:

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Canon#Canon_and_games

Anyway.

Trooper LS/DS is do what is right vs blindly follow orders. Think Nuremberg war crimes trials for former Nazi soldiers: "I was just following orders!" "No. You still had a choice, and you chose to help kill six million Jews." If you paid any attention to the story, think of how many times General Garza is like "tell no one anything and kill everyone ever."

Do you remember the quest on Coruscant where the guy is like "LOL I turned these civilians into cyborg super soldier timebombs!" General Garza essentially tells you "nuke it from orbit; it's the only way to be sure," and the LS option was "**** that noise!" Then later, you get a mail from the cleanup crew saying that after checking the guy's computer records and and giving physicals to the people you saved, it turns out you shut down his little operation before he actually managed to do any of the surgeries. The mail is, I presume, the same if you choose the DS option, just with the added layer of player guilt. Does killing innocent people because your CO tells you to sound like something a good person would do?

LS/DS for bounty hunter and smuggler are pretty obvious, though. LS choices = honorable. DS choices = scumbag.

That seems to only be in regards to Jedi Knight as it makes no mention of Empire or morally grey classes.

It's called following orders, though really there should have been an option for taking them into custody.

Jaxo is dead. Sorry. I was sad, too. And very annoyed, because if she's in the maintenance level full of pipes and whatnot on a huge space station, she could easily just stick herself somewhere she won't be pulled into space and hold on while the level gets vented. (And why would venting atmo even make whatever was damaged start working, anyway?)

Bad writing, all around.

Anyway.

For a character who is good, the LS option is always canon if there is a choice. (And conversely, if the character is evil the DS option is the canon choice.)

That was George Lucas' (and by extension, LucasFilm's) ruling on SW video games. It absolutely, 100% applies to all of TOR from 1-50, because all of that content was released before the Disney takeover of LucasFilm in 2012. I don't know if it applies to 50-55 content, since that released before Disney wiped the EU slate in April 2014. I imagine it does, because despite the takeover, Disney had made no comments on EU material yet. And I don't know about 55-60 (that is, SOR), because although it all released after the conversion of EU to Legends, Disney has yet to make an official statement on the status of choice in video games. It's entirely possible the original LucasFilm ruling is still in effect. It's also possible that Bioware now has control over what the canon choice in TOR is, but how they would communicate that to players is anyone's guess.

TL;DR: Sergeant Jaxo died so that others could live. Honor that sacrifice; do not seek to change it, for that is the path to the Dark Side.

My trooper cares more about Jaxo than not falling to the darkside.

No, since Jaxo dis either way. In the LS choice she is killed on the station, the DS choice causes her to go insane with guilt and kill herself (Over mail)

She never killed herself over mail to my Trooper. She just said she can't see my trooper for awhile/ever again as she goes off to basically find herself and learn to live with it.

She never killed herself over mail to my Trooper. She just said she can't see my trooper for awhile/ever again as she goes off to basically find herself and learn to live with it.

My head canon ending for my DS Trooper is that he sets her up with a cozy security consultant job with Senator Kayl once she recovers enough. Even if being out in the field is out of the question, she's still got valuable expertise.

Gotta make good use of all those connections! :cool:

Why should the default choices affect existing troopers? Having multiple states from the outcomes of choices is the whole point of respecting playthrough choices.

Because it seems to be how they operate for the most part. The vast majority of characters where there is a choice to kill them (or let them die) are never seen again, regardless of the choices you've personally made. (Which cheapens the whole thing quite a bit IMO)

Granted, they've made exceptions for some characters. The Jedi Knight has a few that you can run into again despite having had the choice to kill them, and I've heard that LS Agents also run into a familiar face with their Class mission on Rishi. :)

So it's not completely hopeless. (It's just a very long shot.)

Edited by Callaron