Fellow Snipers, I need your advice. ( vs. melee)

mastermaj

I'm starting to see a pattern here.

First of all let me state I am only 43 right now, that being said...

I am having trouble with melee fighters. My tree is marksman. I am stacking Cunning/Endurance/Crit.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Pvp/PvE, I would have to say the only way I am able to kill melee is with a first strike tactic, being 35 M away or so.. even then it seems like I still have a tough chance, even when I am using all my CDs.

I am not asking for an EZfix, I am just wondering; is anyone else having this problem?

It seems my only defense against melee would be flashbang ( getting range when my incompetent companion doesn't break it ), obviously stun, ambush and of course improved cover pulse.

Leg shot. I do not even bother using it... rarely does it help me. It stops them in their tracks, but to what advantage? 5 seconds they are stalled, but breaks after 2.. I use this mainly to let my ambush and other CDs recharge.

Leg shot could be improved imo, by snaring the opponent instead of breaking... but nm... that's really irrelevant.

Anyways, a little advice.... anyone? Pointers? Anything?

Also what tree are you using, as I said, I am using marksman... but what are you using and why? I am mainly interested in endgame pvp.

There is only 2 options. either u fight or u try to run (running isnt a good option all the time)

fighting. use most of your defensive cooldowns and burst his face off. and pray for no deflects or that he isnt using his defensive cooldowns. knockhim back pin him down.

this can be very troublesome if he already has high resolve or full resolve. then u are pretty screwed if u cant kill him during entrench and ballistic/shield probe(or both)

generally i do not fear the melee i just dont like fighting em cuz some of em know how to play :o

tldr

Defensive cooldowns shot him in the face

legshot run away flashbang run away leg shot hope he gives up.

Edited by Flerpfan
title

stun or flashbang, run, when he dispels it legshot him and run into your team or drive him away from his team, this way either you let him overextend into your team or he decides to give up and leaves you alone.

If he already used a cleanse on your debilitate and you flashbang him you can use this time to charge your longest activation skills and hit him hard!

We do okay versus melee.

Just a matter of using your CC well.

ie. flash bang then drop probe and ambush then insta sniper / followthrough etc.

then pulse dot sniper etc

then legshot at some point to maintain distance

only real problem is tanking spec melee. cant do much damage and they can often wear us down.

Edited by ContrailNZ

Most melee (this count for healers too) got interruptable abilities. Learn which do alot of damage and which does not and use your interrupt accordingly.

About melee who use their "defensive CD's", run away. abuse LoS, drop down a level, run around pillars and try to confuse him. Just stay away and try to take minimal damage during this time. Once their CD's wears off, take them down.

Learn how to handle resolve. When to use your stuns/roots. Getting debilirate talent is a good option since it adds a short time speed boost when using debilirate.

Know when to use your CC break and when not to, dont use it on easy to break or short duration CC, use it on their harder CC or when absolutely necessary.

I'm starting to see a pattern here.

First of all let me state I am only 43 right now, that being said...

I am having trouble with melee fighters. My tree is marksman. I am stacking Cunning/Endurance/Crit.

Am I doing something wrong here?

Pvp/PvE, I would have to say the only way I am able to kill melee is with a first strike tactic, being 35 M away or so.. even then it seems like I still have a tough chance, even when I am using all my CDs.

I am not asking for an EZfix, I am just wondering; is anyone else having this problem?

It seems my only defense against melee would be flashbang ( getting range when my incompetent companion doesn't break it ), obviously stun, ambush and of course improved cover pulse.

Leg shot. I do not even bother using it... rarely does it help me. It stops them in their tracks, but to what advantage? 5 seconds they are stalled, but breaks after 2.. I use this mainly to let my ambush and other CDs recharge.

Leg shot could be improved imo, by snaring the opponent instead of breaking... but nm... that's really irrelevant.

Anyways, a little advice.... anyone? Pointers? Anything?

Also what tree are you using, as I said, I am using marksman... but what are you using and why? I am mainly interested in endgame pvp.

OR....to bypass what everyone else said. dont spec into marksman. its not the best spec for pvp. lethality is. ESPECIALLY against melee and 1v1. The two biggest reasons are it has the most mobility. marksman requires you to be in cover to do real dps. lethality does not. lethality also does internal damage meaning armor doesnt mean jack S***. you will melt people with this spec. I dont lose 1v1.

i can 1v2 depending on what classes im fighting and if all my medpacks and stims are available from biochem.

OR....to bypass what everyone else said. dont spec into marksman. its not the best spec for pvp. lethality is. ESPECIALLY against melee and 1v1. The two biggest reasons are it has the most mobility. marksman requires you to be in cover to do real dps. lethality does not. lethality also does internal damage meaning armor doesnt mean jack S***. you will melt people with this spec. I dont lose 1v1.

i can 1v2 depending on what classes im fighting and if all my medpacks and stims are available from biochem.

To flesh out that: He's lvl 43 so be aware of 2 things.

1: You'll loose some defensive abilities, go 31 pt lethality, then get the 10 energy/9% cunning from engineer before getting damage to snipe/cull etc from marksman.

At his level he got 34 skill points. even so go full leth, (31 pts) then flesh out the 2 engineer skills before finishing with marksman (last 3 can be spent on more accuracy for pve if you want) at 50 you'll want to change your spec and flesh it out more toward lvl 50 pvp.

2: Lethality depends majorly on critical hits, low critical rating equals bad energy regen.

He should be made aware of this. He can run into the risk of starving himself having to spend time to regen, pop adrenaline probe or just fire rifle shot if eithe rof the first two is not an option.

That said: Lethality is the best PvP spec atm for snipers. (bar people who use engineering for control purposes).

First of all, you can play MM if you want to play that spec.

I wouldn't open with Flashbang, it breaks on damage. If they're coming at you, hit leg shot and start firing. Leg shot doesn't count towards resolve, so use it. When they start getting closer fire up Ambush and knock them back, when they close again, you have cover pulse. That shouldn't fill their bar, so when they close again use debilitate.

The main thing is to keep up the damage and not to run right away. Our of cover you're going to get closed on and hacked up, and you're most likely not dealing much damage. Use entrench, use shield probe, use evasion, use ballistic shield.

Good luck.

To flesh out that: He's lvl 43 so be aware of 2 things.

1: You'll loose some defensive abilities, go 31 pt lethality, then get the 10 energy/9% cunning from engineer before getting damage to snipe/cull etc from marksman.

At his level he got 34 skill points. even so go full leth, (31 pts) then flesh out the 2 engineer skills before finishing with marksman (last 3 can be spent on more accuracy for pve if you want) at 50 you'll want to change your spec and flesh it out more toward lvl 50 pvp.

2: Lethality depends majorly on critical hits, low critical rating equals bad energy regen.

He should be made aware of this. He can run into the risk of starving himself having to spend time to regen, pop adrenaline probe or just fire rifle shot if eithe rof the first two is not an option.

That said: Lethality is the best PvP spec atm for snipers. (bar people who use engineering for control purposes).

A good strategy to help maintain decent energy regen is finding a a suitable target that is near other enemies before using your corrosive grenade....more ticks = higher chance to crit= more energy regen. however. if its jsut a 1v1 you should have plenty of energy to down a single...especially if the target cant heal.

Note* yes you may be losing some active defensive abilities but you are trading it for the ability to los and displace while still doing dps. using your environment with this spec is far more critical than it would be with marksman spec so keep that in mind.

Edited by Maliceminded

I'm also at this level range and don't have too much difficulty with melee, so long as I have at least some of my cc skills on cooldown. If I see them moving towards me, I will always start with a Shatter Shot (it lasts 45s which will be the entire fight) and then Leg Shot. If they are too close for me to set those two up, I will Cover Pulse first and then apply those two skills. While they are pushed back and rooted, I'll use Explosive Probe and then Series of Shots (it seems like most damaging attacks will immediately break root even though we are supposed to get 2s of free damage, so that's why I use Explosive Probe at that point; this could be the result of ability delay though). If I have Debilitate up, I'll use it as they close in (followed by Shiv, of course, for the instant damage), if not, then I'll use Flashbang. Once stunned, I'll move (resetting ballistic dampeners), cast Laze Target, instant Snipe, Followthrough, and begin Ambush for the pushback. Once pushed back again, I'll Leg Shot again (which should be off cooldown if they are left in cc for full duration). At this point I'll use Rapid Fire/Series of Shots(x2), or Snipe x2 and Followthrough (should be off cooldown). Once they are at 30%, I'll use Takedown and either Snipe/Followthrough or Ambush/Followthrough depending upon what is up. If at any point they close in and I cannot push them away, I will use Evasion and reset my Cover to get ballistic dampers again, and then use Diversion with my Shield Probe. Diversion along with Shield Probe means they should be doing rather weak damage for 9s. This should give you enough time for Cover Pulse to recharge, or to Leg Shot and move away (to once again get ballistic dampers). Also, if Shiv is on cooldown and they are on me, I will use it (it's relatively decent instant damage, especially if it crits). You also have Ballistic Shield if you feel you need the extra protection. Also, if you are biochem, might as well use your medkits, too. ;) P.S. Don't forget your surge/power trinkets.