Interview with Drew Karpyshyn

Preventer-Blaze

Hey there, guys!

I'm just posting an, imo, nice interview of Kristian with Drew Karpyshyn about his works and views, such as The Chaos Born, Knights of the Old Republic, The Old Republic, Mark Hamil as Bane, Canon and Legends and so on.

For those who don't know, he is the author of the Darth Bane trilogy, books of Mass Effect, his own original work The Chaos Born and as a game developer/creator of Kotor, ME, TOR, Baldur, Jader Empire, Neverwinter, etc.

Here is the link

What are your opinions on all this?

Hope you guys enjoy and put your own thoughts on it.

Hey there, guys!

I'm just posting an, imo, nice interview of Kristian with Drew Karpyshyn about his works and views, such as The Chaos Born, Knights of the Old Republic, The Old Republic, Mark Hamil as Bane, Canon and Legends and so on.

For those who don't know, he is the author of the Darth Bane trilogy, books of Mass Effect, his own original work The Chaos Born and as a game developer/creator of Kotor, ME, TOR, Baldur, Jader Empire, Neverwinter, etc.

Here is the link

What are your opinions on all this?

Hope you guys enjoy and put your own thoughts on it.

Drew is awesome and he has been IMHO nothing but a boon for the Star Wars universe. His work with Darth Bane, brilliant!

Had the chance to talk to Drew K. for a bit at last year's NYC Cantina Tour, he seems like a really great guy.

As for his work, the story in KotOR and ME are great by video game standards, and the 'world building' in particular that went into Mass Effect is truly fantastic (not sure how much of a role he personally player in it, but kudos to his team regardless).

For his books, I've only read his Star Wars works thus far. I enjoyed the Darth Bane trilogy a great deal and liked Annihilation as well. His actual prose/writing style doesn't really stand out (which more often than not is a good thing - if you're noticing someone's writing it's probably because it's bad) but he crafts a solid story.

His Revan novel... well, I think that ranks significantly lower, but it clearly suffered from having to do so much 'fill in the blank' surrounding the KotOR games and TOR - I honestly believe it would have worked much better as an anthology of short stories like the "Lost Tribe of the Sith" ebooks. (Although even then it probably would have the same problems with its characterization of the Exile.)

Edited by DarthDymond

For Revan's book he screwed the pooch. For Darth Bane, I think he nailed it.

For me, he didn't screw the pooch but his heart wasn't there anymore; same with Annihilation.

Maybe he was burned up from doing SW-related stuff, or just wanted to focus on his career and his material, but the last thirty pages or so for the "Revan" novel are abysmal so to speak. Felt like he went full-throttle, seeing the deadline to deliver it was about to come.

Ohhh well... Any bullet points from that interview? :D