Noob question, how do you guys control your character?

jackliuu

But that is just one direction, sometime it is better to be able to move all direction using mouse, like kite the enemy with range class by running back while moving. Also would be very helpful during pvp, because people never stay still in one place.

That's true, that's why you need strafe keys. But you should still use the mouse to move forward or turn. Some people have had success binding strafe to extra mouse buttons, but I wasn't a fan. YMMV.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I always chuckle when I see people recomend an otherwise respectable binding system and then recomenda bind for backpedal! Lol, there is no reason to have backpedal bound, ever.

Respectfully I must disagree. In some games, as a tank you need to be able to move mobs while keeping your front face to them. Strafing can lead to death if your angles are off. Otherwise I agree completely.

Respectfully I must disagree. In some games, as a tank you need to be able to move mobs while keeping your front face to them. Strafing can lead to death if your angles are off. Otherwise I agree completely.

Straffing works just fine for moving mobs in said game. You are making your whole raid wait and slowing down your transitions while your backpedal with a mob, that's terrible.

Straffing works just fine for moving mobs in said game. You are making your whole raid wait and slowing down your transitions while your backpedal with a mob, that's terrible.

You're way off sir. Turn slightly too far, or have a group of mobs that aren't occupying exactly the same spot, and you'll lose block and parry generally, and depending on the game may be dazed. Not worth it. Also helps immensely in getting large groups of mobs to occupy a single point by taking small steps back.

You're way off sir. Turn slightly too far, or have a group of mobs that aren't occupying exactly the same spot, and you'll lose block and parry generally, and depending on the game may be dazed. Not worth it. Also helps immensely in getting large groups of mobs to occupy a single point by taking small steps back.

In WoW it was possible to strafe at a slight angle and maintain block/dodge/parry coverage while moving much quicker than back pedalling. Jump spinning was also a fun way to maintain coverage by jumping to face the mob on hit while maintaining full forward motion in the opposite direction. You spent very little time facing away from the boss and kept motion in another direction by bunny hopping. This was my favourite method of pulling bosses quickly.

That being said, being an experienced tank for many, many years, there is a time and a place for back pedalling. Sudden quick movements are not beneficial for the raid when a small readjustment is required, back pedalling is perfect for this. Lag can cause some mobs to overcompensate for your movements as well causing them to end up beside or behind you if you do a sudden but short motion so instead, you back pedal.

In WoW it was possible to strafe at a slight angle and maintain block/dodge/parry coverage while moving much quicker than back pedalling. Jump spinning was also a fun way to maintain coverage by jumping to face the mob on hit while maintaining full forward motion in the opposite direction. You spent very little time facing away from the boss and kept motion in another direction by bunny hopping. This was my favourite method of pulling bosses quickly.

That being said, being an experienced tank for many, many years, there is a time and a place for back pedalling. Sudden quick movements are not beneficial for the raid when a small readjustment is required, back pedalling is perfect for this. Lag can cause some mobs to overcompensate for your movements as well causing them to end up beside or behind you if you do a sudden but short motion so instead, you back pedal.

You said it better than I did. I didn't mean to imply I never used strafing or jump spin to tank. But there is a time and a place for every tool. I do find that occasionally backpedal is that tool.