Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How do you like commando?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Trooper > Commando
How do you like commando?

straseed
01.21.2013 , 10:25 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Jayshames View Post
In my opinion, Commandos/Mercenarys are great through PvE, they are also really good up to level 49 in pvp, then when you hit 50 you drop from being really good to being pretty bad. Their DPS can be high, but only if left alone. Then again, that also goes for just about any DPS class. As for healing, they don't have as good AoE heals as Scoundrel/Sage and are the hardest to use of the 3 due to having to manage the ammo mechanic, their heals passive effects also aren't as good as the other 2 healing classes. That being said, I believe they have the best single target healing.

All of the above might lead you to believe that at 50 the class becomes rubbish, but oddly I still really love the class (same goes for my sorc) there's just something about them.
This matches my experience so far. I'm hoping very, very hard that Commandos get some PVP help in 1.7/RotHC, because I absolutely adore the class - but I'm definitely target #1 in PVP. I will echo the numerous posts I have seen in this forum stating quite simply - Commandos ought to be able to use cover. It would make the smasher pain train a lot less effective against us, give us some immunity from the CC ********...and completely fits with being, well, a Commando.

EDIT: Anybody ever played SW: Republic Commando? Gotta roll like Sev.
IShouldGo - Commando Medic - PotF
Naib (Never to be taken alive!) - Scoundrel Sawbones - PotF
Brown Coats

Furiel
01.21.2013 , 10:54 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Jayshames View Post
As for healing, they don't have as good AoE heals as Scoundrel/Sage and are the hardest to use of the 3 due to having to manage the ammo mechanic, their heals passive effects also aren't as good as the other 2 healing classes. That being said, I believe they have the best single target healing.
I disagree on them being the hardest to manage. Ammo is not an overly hard mechanic to manage, to me scoundrel healing is much more difficult because you have 2 resources you have to manage. Energy and Upper Hand, and Energy has the same tiered regen system as troopers do. But that is my opinion, I know some who think it's the easiest thing in the world. Personally I struggle with it.

Beyond that I agree that Commando healing is great at ST healing. We tank heal like beasts. And if they ever fixed our AoE heal to smartheal instead of just healing the 4 closest to the middle we'd be in a much better place group healing.
Furiel Plush
Cardinal and Raid Coordinator of The Church of Alvis

oaceen
01.21.2013 , 11:12 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Furiel View Post
I disagree on them being the hardest to manage. Ammo is not an overly hard mechanic to manage, to me scoundrel healing is much more difficult because you have 2 resources you have to manage. Energy and Upper Hand, and Energy has the same tiered regen system as troopers do. But that is my opinion, I know some who think it's the easiest thing in the world. Personally I struggle with it.

Beyond that I agree that Commando healing is great at ST healing. We tank heal like beasts. And if they ever fixed our AoE heal to smartheal instead of just healing the 4 closest to the middle we'd be in a much better place group healing.
as far as scoundrel healers go, they have an almost endless supply of upper hands compared to scoundrel DPS and energy management is not difficult. at all. i would dare say it's the easiest healing class in terms of resource management, in spite of having two types of resources to manage.

straseed
01.21.2013 , 12:22 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by oaceen View Post
as far as scoundrel healers go, they have an almost endless supply of upper hands compared to scoundrel DPS and energy management is not difficult. at all. i would dare say it's the easiest healing class in terms of resource management, in spite of having two types of resources to manage.
Agree, complexity does not necessarily equal difficult to manage
IShouldGo - Commando Medic - PotF
Naib (Never to be taken alive!) - Scoundrel Sawbones - PotF
Brown Coats

Cleet_Xia
01.30.2013 , 06:58 AM | #25
Leveled as Gunnery spec & recently switched to heals. Love it. It's very similar to the Sage AC. But Commando has a different variety in it's abilities. The AC has quite a few very long CD abilities, It also has a wide variety of AoE & short stuns, all of which I think make for a little more interesting play. It's a very mobile heal spec, although gunnery really isn't any more mobile than the TK sage spec.
~Master Telagtun Telag of Lord Calypho~