Bioware is sitting on a PvP-driven goldmine!

Lord_Ravenhurst

Everyone who enjoys PvP in SWTOR let´s join together on this little "wall of crazy" thread.

Some facts beforehand:

Fact 1: PvP driven games are the most successful on today´s PC market (WoT, LoL and DOTA2)

Fact 2: Warzones in SWTOR are part of the most played content in SWTOR

Fact 3: Galactic Starfighter is purely PVP driven (probably also due to major problems with adding NPC AI)

Fact 4: PvP in SWTOR is actually pretty damn FUN

maybe, maybe BW has noticed that and is now shifting into PvP driven concepts for the game!

Evidence:

- new PvP 4 vs 4 arenas

- GS expansion

I like this trend so let´s suggest some crazy ideas, here are mine:

1. PvP raid bosses

Let players queue up to control raid bosses and bring PvE and PvP closer together. Wouldn´t it be fun to control a Rancor from time to time?

2. PvP puzzle raids

Expand the warzone concept and create "scenarios". Two teams, 12 vs 12 on a station, on a struggle against time repairing or sabotaging systems, solve random puzzles and minigames and also throw NPCs into the mix

3. Rip off a DOTA 2 map

Two teams, 8 vs 8, plus NPC support for both teams, destroy multiple objectives on an expansive map

4. Expand the GS expansion with things which don´t require AI and work in a player driven 24-player PvP limit environment

100+ sector instances, asteroid mining, trading, stations to land on, capital ship combat, multiple ship types

Be a merchant, a smuggler, a pirate in a player driven space economy and compete with other players. Who needs NPCs in space anyway when you have human I instead of AI to take control?

5. Crafting and PvP!

Create a PvP scenario which involves crafting

Collect limited ressources in a PvP scenario, craft a superweapon, build turrets, build combat droids, repair surveillance cameras

6. the Ultimate experience:

MERGE REPUBLIC AND IMPERIAL PLANETARY ZONES into the same world and make them accessible to both factions

Enable sieges on the other faction areas

Create random dynamic events where you can join in with NPC attacks on both sides

and finally:

7. The PvP fleet invasion (Could be a daily or weekly mission)

Offer 24 player restriced versions of both fleets

Infiltrate the other faction fleet and eradicate the invasion

Edited by Lord_Ravenhurst

My idea of the perfect SWTOR PvP is for guild capital ships to challenge and invade other guild capital ships. Here's the visual ... right in the middle of target dummy competitions in the hangar bay, a team of Sith DPSers competing for bigger dick rights see a hangar bay bulkhead explode from the penetration of republic guild docking platforms ... as a division of Rep forces prepare to invade the Sith Flagship ... A genuine "oh sh** moment.

How cool would THAT be?

Edited by GalacticKegger

Kinda off topic sorry, but i don't really understand how people relate the pvp we have now with GS? they are 2 completely different systems and appeal to different people for the most part. good post non the sense

because it´s more about the general approach if you let players rather beat up

A) scripted AI mobs

or

B) each other in a non scripted, non predictable ways and different scenarios

B) is definitely the more interesting concept

because it´s more about the general approach if you let players rather beat up

A) scripted AI mobs

or

B) each other in a non scripted, non predictable ways and different scenarios

B) is definitely the more interesting concept

that's what always thought. regardless of pve or pvp you will still be shooting at ships haha

I did, which one do you not agree with?

If they were facts he wouldn't have to agree with them at all.

But just for the fun of it

Fact 1: PvP driven games are the most successful on today´s PC market (WoT, LoL and DOTA2)

Oh do please show me the list that sais that those are the MOST successful ones on todays PC market. And that is still besides the point since the PvP in WoT and the likes is completely different from PvP in SWTOR. It would be like adding racing games to PvP content just because you play against other players.

How would you know that? I would say that the single player content is by far the most played content.

Fact 3: Galactic Starfighter is purely PVP driven (probably also due to major problems with adding NPC AI)

Yes, This is a fact. Has nothing to do with the discussion, but yes, it is a fact.

Not a fact, an opinion. I personally think the PvP in SWTOR is pretty dull. It is a FACT that i have that OPINION, but that does not make my OPINION a FACT.

Edited by OddballEasyEight

Funny, this guy said he wasn't 'a gaming legend' but he's posting like one. That's not a compliment.

And no, the last thing I want is to have to beat the crap out of someone to have to get a crafting resource. It's bad enough I lag, and people beat me to picking things. -_-

I don't care for anything on the OP's wall of crazy. To that stuff, I say a resounding No Thanks.

Everyone who enjoys PvP in SWTOR let´s join together on this little "wall of crazy" thread.

Some facts beforehand:

Source?

Source?

Sadly yes, this is apparently a fact.

This is opinion. Not fact at all.

So yeah.

Some facts beforehand:

Source?

http://www.lazygamer.net/general-news/dota-2-beats-league-of-legends-as-most-played-pc-game/

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-04-10-dota-2-passes-league-of-legends-as-most-played-pc-game

Source?

Sadly yes, this is apparently a fact.

This is opinion. Not fact at all.So yeah.

Check out those links.

Edited by Pathlight-

I did, which one do you not agree with?

Well...

All of them.. 3 is simple you showing how uninformed you are.. 4 is just your opinion.. 1 & 2 are completely baseless and without any evidence to support the claims..

Ok.. We get it.. You love PVP.. Good for you.. But PVP isn't the be all end all when it comes to gaming.. Maybe you think it is.. But it isn't.. WOW is arguably the most successful MMO in history... Yet, PVP is one of the smallest portions of that game.. I can't think of a single PVP driven game that relies completely on PVP for it's success.. Which would be required for #1..

World of tank?? I am sure most people haven't even heard of it.. It is hardly a success.. Not something someone will see at their local game stop.. It is a freebie game you download off the net..

League of Legends.. Again.. Free to play.. So for evidence of your claim you give us two free to play games?? That is successful??

Dota2 has a good following.. But seriously.. I don't think it supports the claim you are making..

So like I said.. Let me know when you actually state a fact.. :)

Edited by MajikMyst

swtor pvp is actually very good compared to other games

guild wars 2/tsw/neverwinter= are just spam 2 first attacks and randomly use 30 sec cooldown skills

rift= incredibly slow animations, half the trees are weak and balance is an even more epic failure than here

tera= limited class options

wow= it just got boring and outdated, although i miss the cute pandas

also the fact that bioware doesnt have the skill to create good pvp is a fact because everyone with half a brain cell can see that, expect biased fanboys of course

Starting out with a collection of questionable opinions presented as "facts" (despite having zero evidence to back them up whatsoever) for premises is probably the worst way to start a thread. Then, you follow through with another baseless assumption about the game's general direction and end up with suggestions that are not only just barely lined out, but would require a complete overhaul of existing systems and redoing almost half the game.

Seriously, in what world do you think a developer would read through this and be like "oh yeah, great idea. Let's just trash everything we have worked on so far, hire the boatloads of programmers we'd need for this plan, because that random guy on the internet wrote a bunch of "facts" that are extremely loosely connected to our product!"

I know it's the internet and everything, but goddamit this thread is a complete waste of time, another 5 minutes of my life I'll never get back.

We

All of them.. 3 is simple you showing how uninformed you are.. 4 is just your opinion.. 1 & 2 are completely baseless and without any evidence to support the claims..

World of tank?? I am sure most people haven't even heard of it.. It is hardly a success.. Not something someone will see at their local game stop.. It is a freebie game you download off the net..

League of Legends.. Again.. Free to play.. So for evidence of your claim you give us two free to play games?? That is successful??

Dota2 has a good following.. But seriously.. I don't think it supports the claim you are making..

So like I said.. Let me know when you actually state a fact.. :)

What the hell? who is uninformed here?

World of Tanks, 60 million accounts, growing every day

DOTA 2 and LoL most played games, around 25+ million accounts

WoW and SWTOR can dream about numbers like this

http://venturebeat.com/2013/06/07/world-of-tanks-hits-60-million-registered-users/

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2013/09/11/why-is-dota-2-the-biggest-game-on-steam/

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/04/10/dota-2-overtakes-league-of-legends-as-most-played-pc-game-of-2013-claims-report/

so much for "completely baseless"

Some facts beforehand:

1) Those games are very popular f2p games that are just about one thing: pvp. They can't really be compared to MMOs. A lot of PvP driven MMOs actually don't do so well in the west and generally MMOs tend to have more PvE than PvP servers as a consequence.

2) I am not sure if this is a fact. My guess would be that people spend a lot more gours leveling and playing ops, hanging out on the fleet and such than playing warzones.

3) GS will be PvP only when it comes out. The future will show if it will stay that way or if also PvE style missions will come.

4) That's an opinion. You can't designate "fun" as factual, that is always a matter of opinion.

All in all I am looking forward to GS as a PvE player but I don't really get why people need to call their opinions facts. I think it will be a great addition to the game. What I don't know is if it will bring as many people to SWTOR as it doe to WoT for example. There is some PvP stuff happening now and that is good, but my guess is that after SG and the first season are on the focus probably will return to PvE again.

I'm not seeing the immediate correlation between 'most played' and 'most successful'.

ah, sure, let´s put a new twist on this.

Before it was "but it´s the F2P market", now that SWTOR is F2P too, people don´t see " immediate correlation between 'most played' and 'most successful'"

:D

can we please just admit the facts and have a discussion here how to drive SWTOR more towards successful new PvP concepts.

I admit 4) is opinion, although most people agree that Huttball is a masterpiece.

1)-3) ARE facts

I was kinda with you up until the point you said Huttball was a masterpiece, yea, now I'm done.

I've always wanted to see them escalate the war between the Republic and Empire to something meaningful that players took part in, but never going to happen, especially on an engine that can't handle it.

There are players like myself who genuinely have no interest whatsoever in PvP. We already have one PvP-only expansion coming up. It seems absurd to suggest that we need to force more PvP into the game. Like Korevas, I wonder if you have any evidence to back up your claim that it is indeed PvP that is the most viable way to drive SWTOR. It seems more like a personal agenda.

Oh and by the way, what is it with the absurd argument about it being too difficult to add AI into the space missions? Some of the most famous and well-made Star Wars games are X-Wing and TIE Fighter, both singleplayer space sims. But I guess that kind of thing is just not possible in 2013. It's too advanced! Not that I see the point in the space project at all. I'd rather they developed the core game further rather than adding a minigame.