Bioware it's time to NERF Snipers/Gunslinger. All read please.

NogueiraA

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Operatives shred slingers? Is that a joke? After 1 knock back you can kite them forever, and they need to be in melee range to do solid DPS. I don't think my slinger has ever lost a 1v1 to an operative.

Tank sins in DPS gear are the most annoying.

Edited by Invictusthetaru

Operatives shred slingers? Is that a joke? After 1 knock back you can kite them forever, and they need to be in melee range to do solid DPS. I don't think my slinger has ever lost a 1v1 to an operative.

You have the advantage to attack at the most opportune times. If you are a good operative, and you know sniper cooldowns you can wreck them. If an op just goes for random hidden strike on huttball catwalks, its of course no big deal.

Edited by NoTomorrow

You must fight really bad operatives. A knockback means jacksquat if a root doesn't take.

Your slinger has never fought a decent operative one on one.

uh.... the heck does this mean? any spec for dps is dps. an assault commando isn't going to be able to heal himself. it's just a cheap heal medal if he survives a fight. VG dpsers have very bad survivability. being a tank AC has no effect whatsoever on their survivability or dcds. why shouldn't they get the same treatment as a "pure dps class"? I'm not really taking issue with anything a sniper has (except VG is the only "melee" w/o a gap closer for them), but I'd like to understand the privilege of this "pure dps" logic.

Exactly. There needs to be a reason to be a pure DPS class, since you can't just lolfreerespec heals. giving it more DPS is just cheap. Pure DPS classes have ways to deal with tanks and healers that other classes do not have (Snipers have Target Aquired to /lol at saber ward, Marauds have Gore to /lol at your armor, and they both have trauma to /lol at healers).

Another solution is to give them survivability. When most MMOers think of melee they think tank. Now, having a pure melee-tank DPS thingy is just stupid (I know, right?), so Marauders were made to normally be squishy, but to still have burst cds to be extremely durable when need be (personally CoP is annoying to me but whatever).

Both of the pure DPS classes are given special group buffs - snipers to lower the damage, Marads to raise the damage and movement speed of allies.

If Pure-DPS classes were not given special treatment, there would be no reason to play them. Conversely, if non-Pure-DPS classes were not given special treatment, there would also be no reason to DPS on them. The Pure DPS thing is rare in SWTOR - only 1/4th of the ACs are pure DPS while the other ones can perform other roles. WoW got past this pure DPS class issue because pretty much all of their classes can only DPS.

Personally, I prefer small rock-over-scissors gameplay, so letting Pure DPS classes have burst and sustained trees, while only letting other dps classes have sustained trees, or something like that.

Edited by Zunayson

wow. if you ever catch a dps sage/commando trying to heal himself in the middle of a fight, you've already won. stop gawking and finish him. those heals aren't worth crap if they aren't spec'd, and they WASTE a lot of time in the cast. christ. a sin heals himself more efficiently than a dps commando. get over this "pure dps" bias. if you're not spec'd heal, the heals are useless. lol you can have my assault commando's heals. wow. I lose exactly one medpac in the deal, and that's only if I wanna sacrifice the burst that I could get by instant casting a plasma grenade.

Those heals make a difference when combined with med packs, and this could be the reason why Sorc/Sage dps was nerf in the beginning.

Sin have to spec into self healing. Its not given out with class abilities like Sorc/Sage/Merc/Commando.

You're right. It must be every operative.

Actually, he is right. Honestly, as a Sniper/Slinger, if you don't have a proper respect for Ops/Scrappers, then the players you have encountered must be lolbad.

Ops/Scrappers are the hard counter to Sniper/Slingers, by design. My Sniper knows who the rock solid Ops/Scrappers are by name and makes them pay every time he sees them, mainly because if he doesn't, they will make his existence in that WZ a living h*ll.

Actually, he is right. Honestly, as a Sniper/Slinger, if you don't have a proper respect for Ops/Scrappers, then the players you have encountered must be lolbad.

Ops/Scrappers are the hard counter to Sniper/Slingers, by design. My Sniper knows who the rock solid Ops/Scrappers are by name and makes them pay every time he sees them, mainly because if he doesn't, they will make his existence in that WZ a living h*ll.

If both have every cool down up I don't see how a slinger loses that fight. And I've also never had my root "not take". Don't even know what that means.

And nothing that can be kited is a hard counter to my slinger. A hard counter to a slinger is anything that gets in my face when I have 0 cooldowns, regardless of the class.

That's why I said tank sins w/ DPS gear ARE a hard counter. Because regardless of my cooldowns I can't kite them, they stay in my face and they will always win unless they are horrible.

Edited by Invictusthetaru

If both have every cool down up I don't see how a slinger loses that fight. And I've also never had my root "not take". Don't even know what that means.

It means...operatives have two different ways to cleanse your roots. If you didn't already know this -- you face horrible ops. If you both have your cooldowns, that means the op gets two hidden strikes, healing at his leisure, plus more healing when your entrench ends after he mezzes you with a flashbang. Really, the ops you encounter are BAD. That's just the case. They should reflect on their sins and you will rue the day you meet a decent one.

(Is your sniper pre-50? Maybe the ops you encounter are all bad because they're babies and ops aren't necessarily easy-peasy to learn to play well.)

That's why I said tank sins w/ DPS gear ARE a hard counter. Because regardless of my cooldowns I can't kite them, they stay in my face and they will always win unless they are horrible.

So it sounds like you fight decent assassins and terrible ops. Because really now. Sins are easier. Less burst and they can't LOS and heal.

Edited by stringcat

It means...operatives have two different ways to cleanse your roots. If you didn't already know this -- you face horrible ops.

So it sounds like you fight decent assassins and terrible ops. Because really now. Sins are easier. Less burst and they can't LOS and heal.

They can time cooldowns to negate not only my burst but also stuns.

Operatives are squishy and sitting ducks the second they uncloak. I guess the class truly is underplayed because not one has every cleansed my roots. I normally pop a health pack after the opener, knock back, and go to work.

Worst case scenario you can always flash bang and create distance. Still very easy to kite.

They can time cooldowns to negate not only my burst but also stuns.

Operatives are squishy and sitting ducks the second they uncloak. I guess the class truly is underplayed because not one has every cleansed my roots. I normally pop a health pack after the opener, knock back, and go to work.

Worst case scenario you can always flash bang and create distance. Still very easy to kite.

Then they combat stealth, heal up, and you're right back where you started with fewer cooldowns.

Not ONE has ever cleansed your roots? I'm having a hard time believing this. One of their root-cleanses is tied to evasion. Either they don't know they have defensive cooldowns -- in which case they're bad--- or you're just not paying attention.

And no, they're not "sitting ducks" the second they uncloak, because the second they uncloak they've knocked out out of cover and are wailing on you. You're the sitting duck in that scenario.

Gunslingers are were they should be honestly for PVP, Yeah we have cover and no one can leap to us? What's your point? People seem to trip about a RANGED Class shooting a MELEE Class from 35 Meters away? Is this a joke? Melee has much more survivability than us. That's basically our defense is range and being a turret. Hunker Down is basically our "Get out of Jail Free Card" almost every class has one. Except for Commandos.

Honestly though we are glass cannons out of cover. No Brainer, but still. Gunslingers are fine as is.

Those heals make a difference when combined with med packs, and this could be the reason why Sorc/Sage dps was nerf in the beginning.

Sin have to spec into self healing. Its not given out with class abilities like Sorc/Sage/Merc/Commando.

stop right there. "those heals"? what game are you playing? no dps sorc/merc is going to get off multiple heals in the middle of a fight. have you tried healing? a healer can't get off a cast heal without some interrupt resistance shield up. and the dpser is working on a longer cast for a lesser heal. if you want to cry anything, cry that the commando can cleanse tech and the sorc can cleans force. their heals are worthless and in no way compensate for "better" dps in a "pure dps" class.

Edited by foxmob

stop right there. "those heals"? what game are you playing? no dps sorc/merc is going to get off multiple heals in the middle of a fight. have you tried healing? a healer can't get off a cast heal without some interrupt resistance shield up. and the dpser is working on a longer cast for a lesser heal. if you want to cry anything, cry that the commando can cleanse tech and the sorc can cleans force. their heals are worthless and in no way compensate for "better" dps in a "pure dps" class.

I heal myself on my commando and sage (dps specs) if I can do it w/o being interrupted. It's stupid not to heal yourself when you manage to LoS your target. What else are you gonna do? Twiddle your thumbs?

On a completely unrelated note, I find it harder to kill hybrid sins than dps ops on my sniper. With root removing force speed, deflection, 5s shroud, and 12s of 25% dam red (through talents), they just refuse to dies! And harnessed darkness force lightning with recklessness popped hurts like a mother****ing *****. I can kite a dps ops fairly easily, but a hybrid sin not so much.

Edited by Smashbrother

i can take out snipers on my combat sent, not with ease but it's doable. They are the anti-melee class, it's just that simple. No reason to complain about it, either focus them down real quick, or get a ranged to get em.

Also if you're smart with your dodges behind pillars, you can move forward while they cast and then hide behind a pillar at the last second.

Also if you're smart with your dodges behind pillars, you can move forward while they cast and then hide behind a pillar at the last second.

There is a technique I use sometimes with my own Sniper (and can be use by Scoundrels/Operatives) when fighting other Snipers who are behind hard cover (like a box in Voidstar)... Roll into the same cover as them, I face them, their hit goes to waste with the nice flying text "Cover" and now i'm in range to Shiv/Debilitate them (or also cover pulse for Snipers only)

Edited by Altheran

11 pages, cool.

Thanks for all replys and as I said, I have a sniper valor 52 and 4 other toons valor 60+.

Tanksin DPS valor 64

Marauder valor 92

Merc valor 71

Scoundrel valor 69

I read all the answers, IMO sniper still need a PVP nerf.

I rolled a sniper to learn how to kill this AC, but no one can touch me if I want... If you close gap me, I have debilitate, close gap again? I have cover pulse, close gap again? instant root to kite you, close gap again? I have flashbang and 8 seconds to run away...

Neither sorcs has that much tools against gap close.

Entrench needs a nerf for PVP, you can't do nothing against them. Force Shroud if specced lasts 5 secs, jugg immunity in vengeance lasts 4 secs, why entrench lasts 20 seconds?

Please, think about it.