PVP 6.0 tactical item , more buttons to press, arrrg the nighmare

KumbayaGOD

Hmm. The announcment, to me, makes it sound like the tactical items might completely reset a lot of buttons and abilities...

One of the ways that we’re adding this depth is with an entirely new type of gear slot – Tactical items. These build-defining items directly alter your abilities and playstyle.

So altering, in plural, abilities. And also altering "playstyle", which, again maybe just me, implies a bigger change than adding an ability.

It almost sounds to me like these tactical items are kind of a replacement, or maybe a supplement to choosing which specialization you spec into. I guess we won't know until they give us more details?

In general, I like more buttons. I mean, sure, at some point I'll run out of hotkeys I can reach, but I really don't like what a number of other MMOs do, where you have 50 different abilities, and you have to pick 5 as "active" and somehow you forgot how to use all the rest of them.

It almost sounds to me like these tactical items are kind of a replacement, or maybe a supplement to choosing which specialization you spec into. I guess we won't know until they give us more details?

Or maybe they are adding "tactical items" that combine multiple abilities into 1 main ability to cut down on the ability bloat and to simplify combat.

Or maybe they are adding "tactical items" that combine multiple abilities into 1 main ability to cut down on the ability bloat and to simplify combat.

Lhance! Hadn't heard from you in a while. I thought maybe your sub finally ran out. :D

[Edit: and to be on topic... from the bit I've seen from bioware so far, it sounds like they are a single extra gear slot, and that they modify an existing ability. But then also, the descriptions we have so far are still REALLY vague, in my opinion. A few people have asked for more clarification about what these things are intended to do.

On one hand the marketing blurb says they will be "build defining" and "alter your playstyle"! But then one of the few concrete example given that I've seen is something that makes chain lightning a single target attack instead of jumping. That doesn't sound very "build defining" or like something that's going to completely alter a play style? At least to me... but I don't actually play any class that uses chain lightning, so maybe? ]

Edited by Banderal

The way I see tactical items is they act as a passive to allow you to play differently. For example (my suggestions) a) AP/PT AOE shatter slug spread retracted blade bleed or b) Hydraulic override CD is reduced by 10 secs and increases DR by 15% while active. Option a) you would take on a raid fight with lots of adds. Option b) would by used in PVP or in raid fights that require high mobility or better CD timing. I don't think it actually adds extra buttons I think you select the tactical spots when you respec. Edited by MuskyBoy

The way I see tactical items is they act as a passive to allow you to play differently. For example (my suggestions) a) AP/PT AOE shatter slug spread retracted blade bleed or b) Hydraulic override CD is reduced by 10 secs and increases DR by 15% while active. Option a) you would take on a raid fight with lots of adds. Option b) would by used in PVP or in raid fights that require high mobility or better CD timing. I don't think it actually adds extra buttons I think you select the tactical spots when you respec.

I think you are right, in that bioware expects them to mostly modify an existing ability. I like your suggestions too, because I can see, exactly as you say, how you would favor one for specific raids or the other for PvP.

I've posted suggestions in the "official places" but I find it hard to really come up with anything because of the "we don't want to limit your ideas, so we are not going to clarify AT ALL how these things are intended to be used". It's too open, in my opinion.

Like I typed before, there have been several requests for bioware to clarify more, and Eric has now pretty much said "we are not going to". I think that's a mistake, judging from the number of responses they are getting. All of the class-specific threads, to date, are less than two pages of replies (most are under one). Even the general thread is only about 4 pages. Maybe people are just no longer interested in these kinds of input for bioware, but I tend to think that people just don't have a good grasp on the types of things they are "allowed" to ask for, even though bioware is saying "ask for anything"!

I mean, you could have asked for Hyd Overrided to have no cooldown and a 90% DR. Why not? GO CRAZY! Except, again maybe just me, but I'd be worried that asking for something too crazy would result in it just getting ignored, vs treated like "oh, I see what s/he wants... well we can't go THAT far, but we could give say a 10 second cooldown reduction and maybe 15% DR".

Or, what if there has to be a trade off? That these things are not mean to be just buffs? Then they might implement your suggestions, but add in their own trade offs. And given their track record of "balancing", I'm not sure I'd want them picking the trade-off for the buff I wanted. You'd get your Hydro Override buff, and then they'd apply a perma armor debuff of -50% or something as the downside. :p

(And yes, I would type all this in the appropriate 'official' thread over in general - but I basically already did.)

Bioware plan to introduce new ability called tacttical item which suppose grant new abilities

i hope they didnt add 1 more button to push, we already have so many buttons to push already :rak_01:

It might be a little off topic but did you know that you can bind multiple abbilities to one key? (you can switch with a keybind between for example bar 1 and 2, then they share the same keybinds)