Synthweaving useless?

Alchropie

I've seen several people talking in game and on threads about how useless and terrible Synthweaving is.. Yet they never state the reason.

Being a Sorc I saw SW was a good way to make armor so I wouldn't have to rely on buying or hoping for drops to upgrade my gear. I haven't quite figured out why it's so bad..

Do the items at high level just scale terrible comared to other game items?

No recipes at end game?

Ridiculiously over priced to level up?

Someone care to give me the low down before I start leveling it..?

Synthweaving isn't "bad" per se. But the set up is odd. Certain peices you can only use at certain levels (which doesn't entirely make sense but I'm not the developers, so I don't know why they did what they did). And people have been screaming that the gear isn't great come Operations. But meh..*shrugs*...those may be min-maxers trying to squeeze every bit of stat out of an item for the "l33t D33PS".

Dammit...there goes my IQ again....

From my own personal experience (and I've maxed Synthweaving to 400 already):

It's been pretty meh so far. I've opted to just update my gear through the quest rewards then craft things for myself, because it seems like I outlevel the gear I craft after a couple of levels. Also, I RE'd some level 49 green armor and it's artifact stats weren't that much more impressive to me. However, I have yet to find any epic schematics yet either.

Honestly though, after they change being able to stick any end game mod (PvP, etc) into orange customizable gear, it'll probably be a little more useful as you can craft the look you want and still have it be viable. I do hope they buff it more and have more higher tiered schematics that aren't bind on pickup and more bind on equip.

My 2 cents.

i do SW... and I have noticed a couple things that will probably make me drop it soon.

1. there are no Item mods in your recipe/schematic list

2. most of the gear is pretty useless compared to Orange type gear (the ones with all mods)

3. after 50 even the belts and bracers (the only parts I found to be worth while) are out classed by the drops and pvp/commendation stuffs.

my skill is at 360 currently and i will take it to 400 so I can get the purple belt and bracers I want and since the credits are so easy to make the money is not really a problem.

I think the biggest problem I have with it is that there are no item mods available to that crafting selection (huge fan of the orange gear pre-50)

have no idea what I will be changing it to (if anything) though. I may just go all gathering for the cash potential.

Edited by -Aarioch-

Synthweaving is great if you're into cosmetics. So far I've managed to find schematics for three pieces of an orange gear set that looks sufficiently different from what I've seen other Jedi wearing, and since it's orange, I can use it at any level. It's not ops-quality (from what I hear,) but until they add an appearance tab to avoid Attack of the Clones, I won't be slumming around in ops gear anyway.

They should remove the Armoring mods from Cybertech and split them between Armormech and Synthweaving as appropriate. Doesn't make much sense to have them on CT. Wouldn't really change anything *economically* for the crafter, since you can get better armoring mods from dailies, but at least it'd be something useful to create.

REing is what kills synthweaving/armourmech IMO.

Forceing me to craft 10-100 of every item just to get the final usable version, is way too much work. And that's not taking into account all the prefix crap.

Especially when you consider the mission times on rare materials.

And the fact, PVP+ commendation gear is equal/better.

They should change REing to:

Green > Blue

50% chance first RE.

75% chance second RE.

99% chance third RE and all after RE's..

Blue > Purple.

25% chance first RE.

50% chance second RE.

75% chance third RE and all after RE's.

It would make it allot easier than the random chance we have now.

Edited by AngelousWang

Out of the box, synthweaving is HORRIBLE AWEFUL TERRIBAD, and not enough scorn can be heaped at its doorstep of misery.

It won't help you level, in fact, quite the opposite, you'll be spending boat loads of credits to get schematics and sending your crew on missions for materials.

To make matters worse, the armor you get to make never seems to match up what you need at your level, and quite frequently is inferior to quest reward armor, unless you spend a ton of extra time and credits reverse engineering patterns.

Once you hit 50, synth could be used in theory, to craft yourself a bunch of ghetto epics that might help you do better in flashpoints, but I can't even begin to think about the credits that would have to be sunk into that kind of endeavor. Although, you could potentially make money once you have those schems.

In the final analysis now that I have synth at 400, I guess the most honest thing to say about synth is that it is something you think about getting at level 50. In other words, its a end game crew skill not meant for folks who are leveling.

For the purposes of leveling, I have to give cybernetics a thumbs up, with biochemistry or slicing being equally good or slightly behind. (just my opinion)

What makes cybernetics so nice for leveling is you can make most of the mods you use in orange moddable gear for yourself and your companions. You still need to buy enhancement mods, but those are dirt cheap. With cybernetics you and your companions armor will always be in great shape.

Slicing is great because it is a trade that can actually make you some credits from selling augments and patterns that you find occasionally. And use the credits you save to buy mods/armor for yourself.

Biochemist (sp?) for the obvious benefit of lots of insanely awesome stims.

- P

Edited by pahbi

• makes good money

• plenty of schematics drop with unique looking armor that people want

• my character and her pet are twinked out with purple nurples

• haven't gotten to 400 to see the uber schematics yet so cant comment

• for all trade skills it seems crafted gear < accomodation gear

i have a a feeling bioware will fix this

I got 400 in synth/arch/underworld trading, I got enough mats to create 4 epic pieces for heavy and light armor but I can't be bothered to do the hardmodes considering I have gotten better gear from the pvp vendors and pvp dailies..... it's embaressing.

I spent 400k credits on the recipes yet they are of almost no use for me.

But I guess that's the way the game works until they realize its too easy to gain pvp gear.

I am an armormech and I know how bad the synth/armormech is. Mostly because it is terrible compared to custom pieces. I am level 50 in full redoubt/veracity gear, but I can not tank a hardmode. There is a 25%+ health difference between custom and crafted gear.

This is starting to feel like WoW in that I am stacking tons of endurance just so I can tank instead of defense and shield (which I have now). Hard modes are just too difficult unless you have the custom gear.

Also another bad thing about the armor crafters is that you can not make full sets of custom gear.... you can make 3... head, chest, and leg for a level 50 custom set. So when I throw them on I look like a clown because I run around with white and orange boots, belts, gloves, and bracers but green chest, leg, and helm.

Also for some ridiculous reason, half the custom pieces we can make has faction/class restrictions.... Why can a trooper not wear bounty hunter gear???? are we allergic to it... is it discriminatory?

So I work off my butt and spend millions of credits on resource gathering missions just so I can RE some level 49 blues to get my veracity set only to find out that the game wasn't designed for that.... So I throw on some custom pieces that look like crap because my character doesn't have the brain power to make a full matching set.... not to mention that for some reason the boots I can make give me a rash...

One last thing.... Why can synthweaving and armormech not make armoring modifications? It seems that if anyone could.... it would be us. Give cybertech enhancements.... spread out the modifications so we can all make some credits on the GTN. Make every crew skill useful.

I really like this game, but crafting is my passion... the way it is set up, I don't really want to play.