Why didn't they just include a crap ton of playable races?

JoshRollins

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because it would require more work than simply changing skin color or adding something on top of the head.

Yes, in this day and age when customers are required to pay $60 for a product and then $15 a month for the right to play it, developers can't be required to go above and beyond to provide the customers what they want.

Yeah, no one in here has posted the actual reason yet. The quote from Erickson we got before launch was something like, "If you can't imagine Princess Leia kissing it then it probably won't be in."

Apparently they thought the more exotic alien races would make us feel too far removed from our characters or somesuch nonsense.

There are also a lot of clipping issues with the Races that aren't already in the game. Twi'lek either horribly clip, or just can't wear most hats. Also, one of the other reasons is that an eligible race must have is the ability to speak Common during cut scenes. This likely means No Rhodians, Jawa or Wookies.

Also, they must have a Humanoid face for ease of facial animations. We just have to hope that Bioware has a set of employees somewhere trying to figure out the clippage issues so we can have more races. I personally would include:

Nautolan

Togruta

Devaronian

Sarkhai (Nadia Grell)

Yodans

Kaleesh (need to fix the chin clip)

Cathar

There are countless others, but that list alone would cover a lot of people's desires for new characters. I for one would race change my Smuggler from a Twi'lek (I don't do repeat races so it was that was left) to a Cathar in the blink of an eye.

Yeah, no one in here has posted the actual reason yet. The quote from Erickson we got before launch was something like, "If you can't imagine Princess Leia kissing it then it probably won't be in."

Apparently they thought the more exotic alien races would make us feel too far removed from our characters or somesuch nonsense.

Nonsense is a pretty good and apt word to use here. That quote has always been the stupidest reasoning for not adding some varied species. I'd love a duros smuggler, since Cad Bane is one of my favorite characters. (yeah I know he's a bounty hunter, but gunslingers get the coats and his trademark hat)

A few reasons jump immediately to mind:

1. Voice acting - The scripted missions system requires a ton of voice-over work and that takes time. Each race added has to then be added into the mission voice scripts for every mission they can do...and that is a lot of missions.

2. Equipment art - Sure, they are all humanoid but that doesn't stop races with odd protrusions and shapes from making extra work for artists and coders.

3. Development time - You can't have everything at launch. WoW took almost a decade to get where they are today, why do people insist a game less than 6 months old be just as all-encompassing as a mature title?

There are others with lesser degrees of possibility, but those are the big three that immediately jump to mind.

If that's true, I really hope they change their minds.

Because its NOT as easy as 1-2-3. Just because it's in the game, it doesn't mean you can just transfer the skins and make it work for a player. There is so much developing and time involved you guys have no idea.

This is not directed at the OP, but please, unless you are experienced game designers, don't make ignorant comments. Stop acting like everything is simple and can be done instantly, you just look like immature fools. It's so tiresome.

No offense, but really. Think before you start attacking BW, or any other game company.

Edited by SillyTurtle

Because its NOT as easy as 1-2-3. Just because it's in the game, it doesn't mean you can just transfer the skins and make it work for a player. There is so much developing and time involved you guys have no idea.

Please, unless you are experienced game designers, don't make ignorant comments. Stop acting like everything is simple and can be done instantly, you just look like immature fools. It's so tiresome.

No offense, but really. Think before you start attacking BW, or any other game company.

I didn't see the OP bashing BW at all. I also didn't see him say this could be done instantly. He was just asking a question. There was nothing foolish or immature about asking a question.

And a valid question, I might add. I'm quite confident we'll see some less-than-human races come in later. When that happens, are you going to apologize to the OP for calling him immature and foolish?

I didn't see the OP bashing BW at all. I also didn't see him say this could be done instantly. He was just asking a question. There was nothing foolish or immature about asking a question.

And a valid question, I might add. I'm quite confident we'll see some less-than-human races come in later. When that happens, are you going to apologize to the OP for calling him immature and foolish?

This wasn't directed at the OP at all, sorry. I'll edit my post. it's at some of the replies in the thread.

Yes, other races will be coming in future expansions when they are ready to. It also gives something for people to look forward to when they finally arrive. Really, in response to the OP, there is only so much time they can invest in everything before launch. I do feel like they have a acceptable number of different ones to at least suffice for the launch. Regardless how similar.

Edited by SillyTurtle

This wasn't directed at the OP at all, sorry. I'll edit my post. it's at some of the replies in the thread.

Yes, other races will be coming in future expansions when they are ready to. It also gives something for people to look forward to when they finally arrive.

NP. Sorry if I misunderstood.