I had an awesome night of PVP due to the following coincidences

Pherdnut

* I did not hit a single arena

* Most importantly, not one single premade tonight

But lots of good strong players (it wasn't all wins).

Please, can we have solo-only regs maybe with an option to ditch the one WZ-type we hate? I can live with sins/sorcs/PTs/Juggers/maybe-maras-now getting all the cool ranked loot. I just want to have fun again. Please can I have fun?

Hint: getting insta-killed repeatedly with VOIP reaction-speed for being the one guy on the team who focuses a premade's healers is not fun. Realizing that the rest of the team isn't helping you because they just at least want to farm what they can without being focused is decidedly less fun.

Edited by Pherdnut

* I did not hit a single arena

* Most importantly, not one single premade tonight

But lots of good strong players (it wasn't all wins).

Please, can we have solo-only regs maybe with an option to ditch the one WZ-type we hate? I can live with sins/sorcs/PTs/Juggers/maybe-maras-now getting all the cool ranked loot. I just want to have fun again. Please can I have fun?

Hint: getting insta-killed repeatedly with VOIP reaction-speed for being the one guy on the team who focuses a premade's healers is not fun. Realizing that the rest of the team isn't helping you because they just at least want to farm what they can without being focused is decidedly less fun.

With the population we have right now such an idea can't be implemented.

Imagine the que time for people who are going to play in teams.

With the population we have right now such an idea can't be implemented.

Imagine the que time for people who are going to play in teams.

I'll take a longer queue. Better than 10 minutes of wasted life in a curbstomp (win or lose).

Edited by Svarthrafn

I don't know anyone who particularly enjoys arenas, though that doesn't mean they don't exist.

I look forward to them. they frustrate me just like reg WZs frustrate me in that there's no matchmaking, and you get these same-faction matches where one team has 2 heals & 2 tanks while the other team is 4 dps, etc., but I hate long WZs that are mostly decided in the first 2 minutes but last 10+ minutes.

imo, there's nothing worse than getting farmed at spawn or just knowing that nothing you will have any impact on the outcome of a match...but having to suffer through it for ~7-10 minutes. in arenas, if you lose, you lose. you don't have to deal with respawning and feeding opposing players kills. also, I feel I can exert more influence over the outcome in 4v4 than I can in WZs. usually in WZs, I'll end up guarding (on a merc!) cuz everyone else is too damn selfish to do it. it's just bad design to force 1 or 2 players to basically sit on their thumbs the whole match.

iunno. it's not so much the objectives vs. deathmatch thing. it's a lot of little things that are partially related to those things that make arenas more appealing to me.

edit: I don't know anyone who thought getting rid of ranked 8's was a good idea -- whether they like arenas or not.

Edited by foxmob

I look forward to them. they frustrate me just like reg WZs frustrate me in that there's no matchmaking, and you get these same-faction matches where one team has 2 heals & 2 tanks while the other team is 4 dps, etc., but I hate long WZs that are mostly decided in the first 2 minutes but last 10+ minutes.

imo, there's nothing worse than getting farmed at spawn or just knowing that nothing you will have any impact on the outcome of a match...but having to suffer through it for ~7-10 minutes. in arenas, if you lose, you lose. you don't have to deal with respawning and feeding opposing players kills. also, I feel I can exert more influence over the outcome in 4v4 than I can in WZs. usually in WZs, I'll end up guarding (on a merc!) cuz everyone else is too damn selfish to do it. it's just bad design to force 1 or 2 players to basically sit on their thumbs the whole match.

iunno. it's not so much the objectives vs. deathmatch thing. it's a lot of little things that are partially related to those things that make arenas more appealing to me.

edit: I don't know anyone who thought getting rid of ranked 8's was a good idea -- whether they like arenas or not.

I'm glad someone enjoys arenas, and all power to you! I tend to be the operative you trash in the first 15 seconds of the match, because deathmatching is not where my skillset or enjoyment lies. I personally prefer objective-based PvP, but it's not fairing well in the current meta. Since Ranked is exclusively arenas it means the skill focus is on them, so I've noticed a definite decline in the quality of 8v8 matches.

I'm glad someone enjoys arenas, and all power to you! I tend to be the operative you trash in the first 15 seconds of the match, because deathmatching is not where my skillset or enjoyment lies. I personally prefer objective-based PvP, but it's not fairing well in the current meta. Since Ranked is exclusively arenas it means the skill focus is on them, so I've noticed a definite decline in the quality of 8v8 matches.

It's going to get even more ridiculous as we see even more level 65 abilities that will even further out-grow the warzone maps designed for level 50's. If you're just beginning to notice a decline in the quality of 8vs8, then I'd say you're new in town or your server is different than others.

Reg warzones were worse, much worse than they are now, for the situations you describe suggest all the ranked players are tied up with arenas, but on the contrary you're seeing quite a few of them entering regs again. That is due to the fact that group ranked is dead, and solo queue was slowing down because people need to farm coms for gear on alts, which in turn kept people away from end game pvp because of the 12xp bonus.

We're also in a lull right now as many people are pushing away from table, tired of this season and the alt grinding, all anticipating the arrival of 4.0(or dreading it). However, on Harbinger when I do log on and que up, I'll get a match pop almost instantly, quality of those warzones at times sketchy, but still slightly improving from what they have been in the recent past.

Ultimately...how good can the "quality" be when you have 2 tanks and 3 healers on each side?( it's warzones like this where one clever stealther can change the match).

The answer for improving objective based warzones , is to create some different maps...maps that don't cater to tank/healer set ups who are simply farming numbers.

They should increase the rewards for "winning" a warzone substantially, that will deter the derps from falling into the current numbers race.

It's going to get even more ridiculous as we see even more level 65 abilities that will even further out-grow the warzone maps designed for level 50's. If you're just beginning to notice a decline in the quality of 8vs8, then I'd say you're new in town or your server is different than others.

Reg warzones were worse, much worse than they are now, for the situations you describe suggest all the ranked players are tied up with arenas, but on the contrary you're seeing quite a few of them entering regs again. That is due to the fact that group ranked is dead, and solo queue was slowing down because people need to farm coms for gear on alts, which in turn kept people away from end game pvp because of the 12xp bonus.

We're also in a lull right now as many people are pushing away from table, tired of this season and the alt grinding, all anticipating the arrival of 4.0(or dreading it). However, on Harbinger when I do log on and que up, I'll get a match pop almost instantly, quality of those warzones at times sketchy, but still slightly improving from what they have been in the recent past.

Ultimately...how good can the "quality" be when you have 2 tanks and 3 healers on each side?( it's warzones like this where one clever stealther can change the match).

The answer for improving objective based warzones , is to create some different maps...maps that don't cater to tank/healer set ups who are simply farming numbers.

They should increase the rewards for "winning" a warzone substantially, that will deter the derps from falling into the current numbers race.

I'm certainly not claiming the decline is recent, as I stated, I've seen it get worse and worse since arenas were introduced. I'm also not saying people are tied up in arenas, rather that since ranked is all death-match, naturally this means more players will focus on death-match style playing versus objective-based play.

My statement was more that arenas, specifically as the only form of ranked, has encouraged that playstyle over objective-based play, so we shouldn't be surprised this is what we see in regs. Unfortunately, unless the devs give us some real love for PvP, this is only going to continue.

I really do not like it when players start blaming tanks and healers for being there and somehow making PvP not fun for everyone else. Those roles are just as valuable as the DPS. If you want folks to get better in their role, well, they need to, like, play their role.

Tell me, how is that, that I have managed to pvp continuously since 2.1 and have never once complained about it?

LOL, one day on Ebon Hawk we had a "Naked PVP" night...I am serious. And though the other team was a premade, I had lots and lots of fun figuring out ways how to beat them with only 1k expertise...thing is, they alos only had 1k, and it was fun.

Don't blame people for being competent. Don't blame anyone at all, actually, but if you really need to point fingers, point one at yourself, for not organizing either a premade of your own, or teaching people on your side how to play, since you are so skilled, or blame the people who didn't learn.

No point blaming soldiers for using bombs and machine guns, even if they are "OP".

They are legitimate tactics... Just as premades, VOIP-reaction, and so on.

SWTOR is not a job - enjoy it!

I'm certainly not claiming the decline is recent, as I stated, I've seen it get worse and worse since arenas were introduced. I'm also not saying people are tied up in arenas, rather that since ranked is all death-match, naturally this means more players will focus on death-match style playing versus objective-based play.

My statement was more that arenas, specifically as the only form of ranked, has encouraged that playstyle over objective-based play, so we shouldn't be surprised this is what we see in regs. Unfortunately, unless the devs give us some real love for PvP, this is only going to continue.

For your point to actually hold water, there would have to actually be a sizeable portion of PVPers who actually play ranked. People DM in regs because it's what they do in the rest of the game (just fight to kill ****), and because it's easier than actually playing tactically.

The vast majority of people in reg warzones have never set foot in a ranked match, and never will.

I really do not like it when players start blaming tanks and healers for being there and somehow making PvP not fun for everyone else. Those roles are just as valuable as the DPS. If you want folks to get better in their role, well, they need to, like, play their role.

Heh quite the contrary actually, as a dps class, it's extremely fun to blast your load relentlessly. My point was that when you get match after match like this and nobody captures any progression with objectives...well it's all random circumstance really. It gets to be quite ridiculous after awhile, which is why I prefer arenas. Not to mention the fps is a bit better.

OP, if you avoid queueing on the Tue-Th window, you have a better chance at getting pugs rather than premades in the queue. It's a combination of the weeklies being done, and more folks in the queue before the weekend. But, I think with the folks trying to stash comms before the expansion we simply just might see more players. it might be that things will be a bit better for a while. Then we will see, it depends on how S7 looks, if we get Offseason, and if anyone feels like playing it or staying in the regs....

But, you know, one day at a time, and I am glad you had a good day. :)