Release Of 'Star Wars: Episode 7' For 2015

DragonAgeOrgins

The Force is strong with this merger. Disney announced on Tuesday that he had purchased Lucasfilm for $4.05 billion in cast and stock shares. In conjunction with the news, Disney also revealed that plans for a seventh "Star Wars" film, "Star Wars: Episode VII," are in motion with eyes on theatrical release in 2015.

"It's now time for me to pass 'Star Wars' on to a new generation of filmmakers. I've always believed that 'Star Wars' could live beyond me, and I thought it was important to set up the transition during my lifetime," Lucas, who directed four of the six "Star Wars" films, said in a statement. "I'm confident that with Lucasfilm under the

leadership of Kathleen Kennedy, and having a new home within the Disney organization, 'Star Wars' will certainly live on and flourish for many generations to come. Disney's reach and experience give Lucasfilm the opportunity to blaze new trails in film, television, interactive media, theme parks, live entertainment, and consumer products."

Echoed Disney chairman and chief executive officer Robert Iger, "This transaction combines a world-class portfolio of content including 'Star Wars,' one of the greatest family entertainment franchises of all time, with Disney's unique and unparalleled creativity across multiple platforms, businesses, and markets to generate sustained growth and drive significant long-term value."

For more on the Disney acquisition of Lucasfilm, head over the Disney website

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/30/disney-buys-lucasfilm-star-wars-7_n_2045632.html?utm_hp_ref=entertainment

Edited by DragonAgeOrgins

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So here's the questions, how will they handle the fact that there's already a sizable EU placed after ROTJ? and how will they deal with the fact that most of the actors of the OT is now well on their way to very old age? will this be a prequel prequel? placed hundreds of years after or before the trilogies? Will this be a new story or an old one re purposed for cinema? Edited by SNCommand

So here's the questions, how will they handle the fact that there's already a sizable EU placed after ROTJ? and how will they deal with the fact that most of the actors of the OT is now well on their way to very old age? will this be a prequel prequel? placed hundreds of years after or before the trilogies? Will this be a new story or an old one re purposed for cinema?

You can easily make episode 7 take place years after 6 with Luke an older Jedi ala Obi Wan. You can then introduce his padawan that will take over from there whoever that may be.

You can easily make episode 7 take place years after 6 with Luke an older Jedi ala Obi Wan. You can then introduce his padawan that will take over from there whoever that may be.

I believe that Mark Hammil has been on record as being willing to play an older Luke Skywalker at any time.

As far as EU is concerned, films already trump EU. Those books then become a "what might have been" like Splinter of the Mind's Eye.

Oh god no. They better keep to the EU, or they are going to have a lot of unhappy fans, A LOT.

Why? It doesn't take away the experience of having read and enjoyed the books. It just takes the saga in a fresh direction.

Edited by Uluain

Not long ago. I asked a question if they're should another film. Does anyone remember it? I do. Everyone groaned that it would discredit the work that's been going on for the last six series. How unusual it is to find this information confirming that the Legacy of Star Wars will continue. Likely into the new generation.

Not long ago. I asked a question if they're should another film. Does anyone remember it? I do. Everyone groaned that it would discredit the work that's been going on for the last six series. How unusual it is to find this information confirming that the Legacy of Star Wars will continue. Likely into the new generation.

I stayed out of that thread because I have been through enough of those in other venues. But on a personal level, once Episodes 1 - 3 were made, I have always been confident that the legendary 7 - 9 would happen some day.

And I am a fan since 1977, who doesn't think the prequels ruined the franchise (though I could have done without the new musical number at Jabba's Palace in the newer editions of RotJ). If Disney announces plans to revive the Holiday Special, I'd worry. A new film? I am all for it.

Edited by Uluain

i want to see a link where they state it's episode 7 !!!

I know they announced a new movie but didn't see anywhere that it was going to be episode 7...

If disney have any sense they will move away from the skywalker timeline. Also afaik the EU after episode 6 isn't canon so disney doesn't have to use any of that material !!

i want to see a link where they state it's episode 7 !!!

I know they announced a new movie but didn't see anywhere that it was going to be episode 7...

If disney have any sense they will move away from the skywalker timeline. Also afaik the EU after episode 6 isn't canon so disney doesn't have to use any of that material !!

Ask and you shall...well you get it.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/10/30/disney-buys-lucasfilm-star-wars-7_n_2045632.html?utm_hp_ref=entertainment

Oh god no. They better keep to the EU, or they are going to have a lot of unhappy fans, A LOT.

You think it matters what they do? No, it doesnt, either way some people will rage and cry. You can't win with idealized vision of 'fans'(or maybe 'fanatics' fits better).

"Disney hopes to essentially relaunch the Star Wars film franchise, which had its last installment in 2005 with Revenge of the Sith. Following the three planned sequels, the company envisions releasing even more Star Wars movies at a rate of a new film every two to three years.

Future movies may not be sequels but movies that focus on fringe characters. Disney also believes there is potential for a television series."

Source: http://money.cnn.com/2012/10/30/technology/disney-buys-lucasfilm/index.html?hpt=hp_t3

The seventh movie, with a working title of "Episode 7," is set for release in 2015. Episodes 8 and 9 will follow. The new trilogy will carry the story of Luke Skywalker, Han Solo and Princess Leia beyond "Return of the Jedi," the third film released and the sixth in the saga. After that, Disney plans a new "Star Wars" movie every two or three years. Lucas will serve as creative consultant in the new movies.

Source: http://abclocal.go.com/wpvi/story?section=news/entertainment&id=8866951

So yes, It's episodes 7-9 plus a new movie every few years, PLUS a possible TV series.

No mention of a Jar-Jar Xmas special as of yet.

Well like i've said in a few other threads.

1. Timothy Zahn is already being contacted by Disney/Lucas Arts.

2. To keep the movies coming every 2-3 years and do it BEYOND 7-9 like disney wants to do, can't do it live action, i mean look how hard it was to keep Harry Potter going or James Bond. Sounds to me, they are going to go the CGI road, that way all you need is voice actors and don't have to worry about keeping live action actors and it makes it easier to follow along with the books if they go the EU route.

3. I hope with this as well they do some other spin offs for series like the X-wing books like they've done for the Clone Wars series.

To me, there is so much more they can do with disney taking the reigns. And I HOPE they go the CGI route. Make it easier and all you have to do is worry about voice actors rather than real life, plus with CGI it's easier to have our ICONS of star wars and not worry about age and what not.

Well like i've said in a few other threads.

2. To keep the movies coming every 2-3 years and do it BEYOND 7-9 like disney wants to do, can't do it live action, i mean look how hard it was to keep Harry Potter going or James Bond. Sounds to me, they are going to go the CGI road, that way all you need is voice actors and don't have to worry about keeping live action actors and it makes it easier to follow along with the books if they go the EU route.

Tron: Legacy was live action/CGI, but Jeff Bridges had a digital makeover to look like his younger self. So it's not out of the realm of possibility that they make the original actors come back the same way. Improbable, but possible.

They'll never get Harrison Ford to do it tho.

All I can say, is the original cast is still alive and you've got to have them in somewhere, surely...

Actually kind of excited for the movie side of things. George Lucas has been selling the original Trilogy every few years now with minor changes that annoy. Brand new movies can't be any worse, especially from a company that won't take for granted our loyalty out of the gate.

At the beginning, Disney has something to prove so I'm sure they'll spare no expense with the first movies they make. They'll be more apt to do the necessary fan service that's required with movies following the original trilogy, and they MIGHT give some nods to the EU but in the end ... the movies are going to come before those books because they have to.

Don't build up ideas in yourself that somehow they'll go with what the books did, there are some good ideas in those I'm sure, but let's not rob ourselves of something new. Try to keep your expectations low and you'll be happy, generally things don't suck on their own... they suck because we've built them up too much to a level they could never reach. On the other hand, Jar Jar sucked.

I really liked all the movies including Episodes I, II, and III. But after all the crap Lucas has taken from those and the new Indiana Jones movie, I think it was wise for him to sell the brands and just become a consultant. The new passion/ vision/ etc.. will be awesome. I am really excited to see where this will all go. :D Maybe even do some movies off the Old Republic.