The Pros and Cons of SWTOR

Tarbacca

I feel like Bioware needs to start listening to the player base more. Every single time I read the Q & A articles, I ask myself, "Who the hell asks these questions?". There are also important changes that have been asked for since BETA and we still have yet to receive them, and in their place, fluff items from a RL cash shop. Seriously Bioware. You need to balance the game first before adding useless fluff items.

Anyways, in hopes that some Bioware developer would notice this thread, we should highlight the pros and cons as to what we would like added in the game. PLEASE listen to us Bioware, you're our only hope.

Requests that have been fulfilled since launch :

1. More customizable UI

2. A new player race (Even though most of the community wanted Togruta, not Cathar.)

3. More end game content

4. LFG (Most appreciated.)

5. Adaptive gear

Requests (Theres a lot I can't remember, post if you remember a few things.)

1. Chat Bubbles

2. Add ons (I find it silly that EA thinks the game is so good that no 3rd party could improve it.)

3. "Barber Shops" (So we could edit our character looks further)

4. Ship Customization (More ships and color editing)

5. Free roam space with more missions

6. Yearly events (Such as Life Day)

Like I said, please leave ideas that you would like to be implemented into the game. Perhaps we could get enough players behind them and try to have the implemented. Instead of complete complaining about certain things, we need to try to work with Bioware to make the game an overall better experience for the community.

Edited by Tarbacca

Majority of the community voted Cathar when they asked.

The first 5 you list still need more work before they even touch the idea of chat bubbles or recustomizations.

Add-ons aren't really needed in the system they have in place. The only way I would support add-ons would be if they were a product of Bioware only, no 3rd party hacks.

The Super Secret Space Project is pretty high on my list, but I'd rather see more story content released before anything else.

Majority of the community voted Cathar when they asked.

The first 5 you list still need more work before they even touch the idea of chat bubbles or recustomizations.

Add-ons aren't really needed in the system they have in place. The only way I would support add-ons would be if they were a product of Bioware only, no 3rd party hacks.

The Super Secret Space Project is pretty high on my list, but I'd rather see more story content released before anything else.

Last I heard after checking the race desire thread, Togruta was leading. Maybe I was wrong. Also, Curse.com doesn't make "hacks", they make some of the most useful add ons for World of Warcraft and other games. The Super Secret Space Project is just simply a heroic space mission and maybe guild ships.

Last I heard after checking the race desire thread, Togruta was leading. Maybe I was wrong. Also, Curse.com doesn't make "hacks", they make some of the most useful add ons for World of Warcraft and other games. The Super Secret Space Project is just simply a heroic space mission and maybe guild ships.

I wrote when "They" asked. There was a poll created by one of the leads at Bioware, they didn't use the user created poll to get their answer.

The poll thread specifically excludes Cathar because they were already announced as the winner of BioWare's poll.

Personally, I'm not interested in chat bubbles but I'd love to see awesome space content, including ship customization (maybe throw a barber droid in there?)

[Requests that have been fulfilled since launch :

1. More customizable UI

2. A new player race (Even though most of the community wanted Togruta, not Cathar.)

3. More end game content

5. Adaptive gear

1. Chat Bubbles

2. Add ons (I find it silly that EA thinks the game is so good that no 3rd party could improve it.)

Wow, less than a year into it and they have already completed so much.

1. Chat bubbles: Really?

2. Add Ons: No, No, No, and No. Look no further than WoW to see why. Just no!

3. Barber Shops: I like this idea.

4. Ship customization: Since most are rarely on/in their ships, this would prob be a waste of dev time.

5. Free roam space: Would be nice, but it would prob take a complete rework of the game.

6. Yearly Event: More events -- yes please. But they need to be "related" to SWTOR.

I feel like Bioware needs to start listening to the player base more. Every single time I read the Q & A articles, I ask myself, "Who the hell asks these questions?". There are also important changes that have been asked for since BETA and we still have yet to receive them, and in their place, fluff items from a RL cash shop. Seriously Bioware. You need to balance the game first before adding useless fluff items.

Anyways, in hopes that some Bioware developer would notice this thread, we should highlight the pros and cons as to what we would like added in the game. PLEASE listen to us Bioware, you're our only hope.

Requests that have been fulfilled since launch :

1. More customizable UI

3. More end game content

5. Adaptive gear

1. Chat Bubbles

Like I said, please leave ideas that you would like to be implemented into the game. Perhaps we could get enough players behind them and try to have the implemented. Instead of complete complaining about certain things, we need to try to work with Bioware to make the game an overall better experience for the community.

This game has literally updated, added more content, and fixed more things than any MMO I can personally think of in recent years. The things you are saying NEED to be added are simply things you want....

1. Chat Bubbles - No need for these, they are a bit unnessary this day in age, and I personally would turn them off.

2. Add ons - This is a horrible idea, opening you game up to 3rd parties will not offer as many benefits, as it would issues at this point. Yes, WoW has some cool ones, but lets have the devs intergrate them into the game instead of 3rd parties. Plus Add ons turned WoW into something I hate... A casual player nightmare for raiding. Honestly I feel that add ons kind of killed wow for many people, I mean the game is about having fun, not about "PUT OUT MORE DPS BECAUSE MY METER SAYS SO!!! Ect." the Combat log/Raiding tools availiable at this time are good enough until the devs incorperate more into the game IMO, there is obviously a reason this was not implimented, and I'm more than sure it was discussed.

3. "Barber Shops - Not so much just a barber shop, but a nice thing to want, to change how your toon looks.. but honestly I dont need this anytime soon as there is more important things needed at this time.

4. Ship Customization (More ships and color editing) - I dont see any point in this, especially as the game moves more towards quick travel methods, my ship is cool, and its nice that each class has their own... my ship has everything needed in it at this time. Would it be cool?- Yes, if done right. Is it nessesary?- Not by any means, again, probably why they havent done anything with it, people would like to probably have more content than customize they occasionally use for a min or so.

5. Free roam space with more missions - This is something I am really torn on, I feel that space missions might work in this game, but could also feel like a weird last minute after thought if not done right. They really do need to add more missions though, and more varity on them, at this time, the space combat is something I only do when leveling a new toon, or when I'm really bored.

6. Yearly events (Such as Life Day) - More events in general would be nice, I loved the Rakgual Plague event that occured. I remember it was so random, and was a great way too keep people interested, and visiting old planets they havent been to in awhile (Especially Tattooine), adding these every other month or so would add a lot of replay value, and keeping it secret until it happened makes it a lot of fun for players.

Items I feel the game needs or could benefit from for casual play.

1) Additions to the market.

Helmets and more outfits, level one sets, character appearance, companion appearance (direct, not dropins), chest color change, transfers, renames, legacy renames, legacy cargo hold with bank, all basic vendor speeders.

2) Finish the codex system. Add investigative items with rewards to the system (accomplishments).

3) Rework the group finder system to display folks in que and their class/chosen roles.

4) Revamp the GTN, remove non-working search criteria, allow single choice searches (choosing standard displays everything, results can then be whittled down as more criteria is chosen).

5) Open up existing worlds that have very restrictive pathing a bit (Taris for example) by adding more paths, bridges, etc.

6) Add chat bubbles for /say use with toggle, sitting in all chairs, proper meditation, sleeping, swimming.

7) Convert all experience a player would have received from leveling in class stories and the like into credits after they hit the level cap.

8) Add a mission generator to the game (see my sig).

9) Add enhancements to crew skills (see my sig).

10) Revamp current space combat system to allow multiplayer, add turrets to all ships, allow groups to play on a players ship or in their own ship in the pipe.

11) Allow all armor to be converted to either empty orange adaptive armor OR schematics for the same.

12) Allow Starships to be customized inside and out, outside with colors, patterns, symbols, inside with SWG housing style decorating system (NO HOOKS), add trophies, banners and other decorative items into the game for use on the ship.

13) Add a BF2 style persistent space battleground with PVP and PVE areas that includes Starship, fighter and "on foot" combat and objectives.

14) Add missions that randomly generate in space travel while on your Starship (can be toggled off) that involve the ship directly, like repel boarders, short space combat missions, investigation, travel to point and investigate on foot, etc.

15) Add land button on the bridge that allows you to land and exit the ship without using the door, and eventually just land the ship...allowing folks to sit in their ship inside hangers, add backdrop boxes for outside of windows or just blast shields that cover windows when docked.

16) Add swoop racing, pazaak and PVE arenas like you had in KotOR.

More to come, but that is all I can think of at the moment.

Edited by LordArtemis

smugglers, agents, bounty hunters, and troopers need to be playable both sides. both sides would have troopers after all look at all the imp npc commandos, both sides would have spy's / snipers. as for smugglers / bounty hunters they are hired guns. So it would be nice if they didn't limit our class selection to 4 each side.

I just came back to the game, i subscribed after having been gone a while. I will tell you this objectively and by my opnion which im sure some , maybe most, of you will disagree with it.

Pros:

Sci-FI mmo, so tired of bows arrows and swords.

companions, add so much dimension and variety to leveling.

Story, regardless of anything the stories are amazing.

Combat - the combat feels like combat, the abilities look like abilities.

Community - overall star wars fans are a better community.

PvP - although it has it's flaws, i find pvp in swtor to be done extremely well and hope they focus on improving this.

Crafting - this is a con also but crafting started with a different step.

f2p now so people can try it.

Graphics, scenary are beautiful. Have you ever stopped to just to look at the landscape on some of the planets? breathtaking.

FLaspoints, ops, decision making etc are all great aspects of the game.

There are little things as well for example mount cast time is nice and quick.

Now the cons are longer because i did leave and come back, i will most likely not stay past a month. I miss what i want this game to be and not the direction it is taking.

f2p isn't a huge issue with me, 15 dollars is more than reasonable for a game that updates content, fixes bugs, and tries to move forward. This game however, more specifically the developers, have ignored and disrespected a large chunk of their community. They move in the direction they think is what we want and not the direction of what we want. THis is why there was the mass exodus and why many players are very wary of coming back.

Anyways, in no order of importance.

The story is great leveling. MMO's are not about the journey to get to max level they are the journey that happens after max level. THis is where swtor feels very empty. lvl 50 there is no more personaly story, no more personal character advancement.

Space combat. Beaten with a dead stick, it's a n64 game , that really is just a side game. A lot of star wars fans wanted something more.

Pvp. It is empire vs republic, the clear lack of dedication on open world pvp and objective is tragic. Add to this the epic flop of ILUM and it's disheartening that bioware would make an mmo without taking a look at the driving force of this game.

Crafting. It could be good but it's just in a mediocre state now.

Performance, this game runs like utter crap even high end pc's have issues. Not all machines, but again this game has incredibly long loading screens, stutter issues, glitches. Really need to work on the performance.

Bugs and fixes. Major issues that were ignored in beta have still remained unresolved.

Side quests. Main story is great, but the side quests are the same thing every time for every alt. It really is discouraging rolling an alt and going through it all again.

Lifeless worlds. Very static, copy and pasted mobs all over the place, no ambience.

The rails. This is my personal opinion an

d this is where my con makes me turn away after leveling. Take the rails off, give some freedom. I want to be able to smuggle, craft, entertain, a customizable ship, more ships, and the list goes on. This game could be amazing but the developers will never listen to what the people want.

There are people that love this game in it's current form but how many times do you want to grind gear in flashpoints/ops/pvp ? This is ultimately what is driving the decline in wow and new developers aren't producing anything new.

I just came back to the game, i subscribed after having been gone a while. I will tell you this objectively and by my opnion which im sure some , maybe most, of you will disagree with it.

Pros:

Sci-FI mmo, so tired of bows arrows and swords.

companions, add so much dimension and variety to leveling.

Story, regardless of anything the stories are amazing.

Combat - the combat feels like combat, the abilities look like abilities.

Community - overall star wars fans are a better community.

PvP - although it has it's flaws, i find pvp in swtor to be done extremely well and hope they focus on improving this.

Crafting - this is a con also but crafting started with a different step.

f2p now so people can try it.

Graphics, scenary are beautiful. Have you ever stopped to just to look at the landscape on some of the planets? breathtaking.

FLaspoints, ops, decision making etc are all great aspects of the game.

There are little things as well for example mount cast time is nice and quick.

Now the cons are longer because i did leave and come back, i will most likely not stay past a month. I miss what i want this game to be and not the direction it is taking.

f2p isn't a huge issue with me, 15 dollars is more than reasonable for a game that updates content, fixes bugs, and tries to move forward. This game however, more specifically the developers, have ignored and disrespected a large chunk of their community. They move in the direction they think is what we want and not the direction of what we want. THis is why there was the mass exodus and why many players are very wary of coming back.

Anyways, in no order of importance.

The story is great leveling. MMO's are not about the journey to get to max level they are the journey that happens after max level. THis is where swtor feels very empty. lvl 50 there is no more personaly story, no more personal character advancement.

Space combat. Beaten with a dead stick, it's a n64 game , that really is just a side game. A lot of star wars fans wanted something more.

Pvp. It is empire vs republic, the clear lack of dedication on open world pvp and objective is tragic. Add to this the epic flop of ILUM and it's disheartening that bioware would make an mmo without taking a look at the driving force of this game.

Crafting. It could be good but it's just in a mediocre state now.

Performance, this game runs like utter crap even high end pc's have issues. Not all machines, but again this game has incredibly long loading screens, stutter issues, glitches. Really need to work on the performance.

Bugs and fixes. Major issues that were ignored in beta have still remained unresolved.

Side quests. Main story is great, but the side quests are the same thing every time for every alt. It really is discouraging rolling an alt and going through it all again.

Lifeless worlds. Very static, copy and pasted mobs all over the place, no ambience.

The rails. This is my personal opinion an

d this is where my con makes me turn away after leveling. Take the rails off, give some freedom. I want to be able to smuggle, craft, entertain, a customizable ship, more ships, and the list goes on. This game could be amazing but the developers will never listen to what the people want.

There are people that love this game in it's current form but how many times do you want to grind gear in flashpoints/ops/pvp ? This is ultimately what is driving the decline in wow and new developers aren't producing anything new.

+1 would read again.

Pros:

-Familiar controls

-Companions (accompany you on quests & handle your crafting needs while you do more important things)

-Death penalties are not harsh or overly frustrating to deal with

-Player character can choose responses while in fully voiced cut scenes

-User Interface easy to read & understand (also customizable)

-Fun combat action without confusion of who is hitting what or not knowing what is going on

-Conveniences to make life easier without annoyances (Legacy or otherwise)

-A unique style warzone for an MMORPG

-Adaptive/orange gear

-Authenticator available if desired

-Good leveling curve (no shortage of quests)

-Reverse engineering crafted items

-The game has lighsabers

-No flying mounts

-Area/auto loot

-Match to chest piece for you and your companions

-Hide helm on you and your companions

-Pre level 50 Warzones for the most part, are fun

-The game has Story (Lot's and lots of story!)

I will note that the following is VERY disappointing for me to see. For a game of this magnitude and stature, being developed in this time and age of MMORPG's, is just for the most part, inexcusable or poorly executed.

Cons:

-Character Creator (Designers/Developers created an extremely poor and basic version. Majority of options/tools available are also very poor, extremely ugly and very undesirable looks for characters)

-Unrealistic Environment (very static and lifeless looking, sounding & feeling. Grass suddenly appears and looks as though they are coming alive as I run through it. Either none, or extremely poor weather effects, no randomness)

-Light & shade (although there has been improvements in this field, The light and shade in the Environment is baked into the textures. Although lightsabers give off light, they are extremely weak and unrealistic. Very poorly done)

-Color/Textures & Design (very weak and poorly done, not only in the Environment but on characters. Looks like an unfinished product in the middle of development. Very noticeable on rock faces in caves etc. Rocks are too smooth and looks like globs)

-Frames per Second (game runs poorly when too many numbers of players are in one area.

-Cut scenes/fully voiced MMO (although can be a pro it is also a con with respect to types of playable species available)

-Majority of budget spent on Voice Acting

-Animation of player characters (lifeless looking in a neutral positions. All classes use the same animations for jumping and there is no variety)

-No swimming (Developers don't know how to successfully pull this off, so they convinced us it was an unnecessary feature)

-No day/night cycle

-NPC droid sounds (one set of random beeps and blips they do sound as if they are singing "go go power rangers". Really!? how Star Wars is that!?) I had to throw this little annoyance in here...

-Poor Star Wars elements (this includes the music, sound effects, and Environmental sounds. Also includes some visuals elements, ie: Tatooine space port looks like every other space port in design & far more advanced looking than in A New Hope. I do not feel like, majority of the time, I am playing a Star Wars game. Just a sci-fi game with glowing swords)

-No appearance tab (although Orange gear is a band aid. There are still consequences for swapping out mods from tier gear, not to mention a price tag every time you do it)

-Warzones (New level 50 players are pitted against near fully geared players. Expertise stat is poorly conceived and executed. Looked good on paper, but when applied does not work. If no change is made to how Warzones work, then Expertise needs to be re-worked or removed)

-Ilum (double u tee eff)

-No color dye system for gear (nice to have match to chest piece, however is not customizable enough)

-No dual spec for advanced classes

-Poor Guild elements/tools (guild banks are a start but no real benefit to being in a guild)

-No achievement system

-Resolve bar (Does not work properly. So much worse than before the change. Now we get to be in a stun lock pukefest while we watch our player characters die, Yay!)

-Appearance of gear (I am so disappointed in this... Does not, for the most part resemble anything Star Wars related. Disgusting and idiotic helm designs. Protruding objects from wrist, knees, ankles, shoulders or helms that appear undesirable, and again, not Star Wars related.

"Level of the gear is going to determine how visually impressive the gear should look and where it fits in the progression" A quote from Ryan Dening (Lead Concept Artist) and David Hunt (Systems Designer) of pure horse doodoo. Gear should ALWAYS look impressive and extravagant through all levels, beginning to end. Not just extravagant and impressive at End Game. Outfits are for personal appearance. Stats are for progression. The two do not belong together anymore. Stop thinking World of Warcraft 2004. Times have changed)

-Not hiring the very best & most talented crew for a project of this nature (Graphic Designers, Concept Artists, System Designers, Engineers, Team leads, Managers, etc.)

(This will offend every employee who put in long sleepless hours every night to meet deadlines, and poured blood, sweat, and tears into this project. Although I appreciate the extent and effort they went, to make us happy and do a good job. They just fell short. The results speak for themselves. Extremely poor decisions from very early on, made this project an up hill battle from the start. Thank you for your contribution to that Gordon Walton :mad: You licencing the Hero engine for use on SWTOR was the most damaging on this MMORPG project)

-Bugs (Some still persist from the beginning of launch, and others continue to frustrate players daily)

-Player Character choices during cut scenes (Major decisions don't really matter or change your path. The end result is always the same. Understanding that it would be too massive of an undertaking, and unrealistic for a project of this size to do so. However it is a con, regardless. And still feels disappointing in the back of my mind)

-EA suites threatening & pushing Bioware

-And the number one inexcusable Con.... The current Game Engine (/spit times infinity)

I would love

1.PAZAAK!!!

2.redesigned space combat with pvp( bf2 style)

3.swoop racing(something that actually looks like what we have seen in the movie not kotor)

4.arena

5.Jedi robes that actually look like jedi in the movies not buffoons, no samurai masks no witch hats no damn bird hats

There are many more things that don't come to mind now but these would make alot of people happy.