Another APG WZ response from a community manager. Decent reply...

Volthammer

Thankfully, a serious and knowledgeable reply!

Hey folks,

We have seen quite a few questions about the rate that the Odessen Proving Grounds are popping in the Warzone queue. We want to let you know that it isn’t a bug that is causing this to happen. As you know, this Warzone allows players on both Factions to be on the same team. One side effect of this is that it is far easier for this Warzone to pop than the others as it only requires 16 players, and not a specific Faction distribution of those players. This has caused you to see more of Odessen than you might expect. Even though it isn’t a bug, the team is looking into options to create a larger spread among the Warzones that pop in the future. I will pass on any further information as I have it.

Thanks everyone.

-eric

Eric, thank you again! <manbear hug>

Edited to make the header more clear.

Edited by Volthammer

I take that to mean they're not looking at the obvious solution of making the other warzones cross-faction as well.

They should have just done this. Or merge servers so that most servers have more than 16 ppl q'ing in every bracket during most times of the day...

Or merge servers so that most servers have more than 16 ppl q'ing in every bracket during most times of the day...
That won't really fix it. It would still be APG > arena > nothing else pops without two "premades." This is a result of the algorithm, not of any sort of faction imbalance or lack of queued players. Premades alone are probably enough to push the count of available players at any given moment for a given faction below 8, especially with APG and arena readily draining out such players.

Superior as in timely? Or comprehensive? Because they may be mutually exclusive at this point.
They have a timely solution; disable the two new maps until the comprehensive solution has been developed and tested. And they have a comprehensive solution; make all warzones cross-faction, and put the issue to rest already, outside of some diehards who will cry about faction purity. Edited by Ansultares

Glad they responded, if a little late :rolleyes:

Hey folks,

We have seen quite a few questions about the rate that the Odessen Proving Grounds are popping in the Warzone queue. We want to let you know that it isn’t a bug that is causing this to happen. As you know, this Warzone allows players on both Factions to be on the same team. One side effect of this is that it is far easier for this Warzone to pop than the others as it only requires 16 players, and not a specific Faction distribution of those players. This has caused you to see more of Odessen than you might expect. Even though it isn’t a bug, the team is looking into options to create a larger spread among the Warzones that pop in the future. I will pass on any further information as I have it.

Thanks everyone.

-eric

I actually came to this conclusion a few days ago when I realised that no groups pop Odessen, groups queued also take much longer to pop. Where as if you queue solo it pops Odessen 90% of the time and much faster solo queueing. It was obvious that the queue grabbed solo individuals ready to PVP from each side as soon as they had enough. Considering faction balance isn't balanced it meant that they could form more Odessen groups faster.

To get another WZ usually meant that the premades needed one or two more to start a WZ, so if the queue was still waiting on a few more for Odessen, it would pop you into a normal WZ. I don't think I had one normal WZ that didn't have one or more premades during this time.

Hopefully they will allow mixed WZs for every map and also allow groups in Odessen. That should fix the problem of pops, but I see it causing an issue of premades on chat being able to completely decimate Odessen with the coordination that map requires. I love premades in other WZs even when I'm solo, they are beatable, but Odessen would just be stupid.

Strange. This is the exact same response like the other one that was so much laughed about ...

Actually it isn't. That CS person gave a totally ignorant and very wrong reply to the problem. Eric pointed out that the group queue situation was in fact not a bug and that they were looking at a solution to the tremendous wait times for people group queuing. Hopefully that got fixed today as the patch notes said they did.