Ahsoka Faces Her Greatest Challenge

overmanwarrior

From the Lucasfilm press release:

The shocking finale to Season 5 of Star Wars: The Clone Wars has arrived, with major revelations that will leave characters forever changed. Ahsoka is wrongly accused for sedition and murder, and is to be prosecuted in the High Courts of the Galactic Republic by a zealous Admiral Tarkin. Seemingly abandoned, Ahsoka’s last hope lies in Anakin Skywalker, who hunts the Coruscant underworld for the real murderer in “The Wrong Jedi,” Saturday, March 2nd at 9:30am ET/PT on Cartoon Network.

This episode – the culmination of five years of development of Ahsoka Tano’s character and her relationship with Anakin – is personally helmed by Dave Filoni, who serves as episodic director in addition to being the supervising director for the series. Underscoring the significance of the finale, composer Kevin Kiner arranged an orchestral score for this episode to better resemble the full, classical score found in the Star Wars feature films.

http://overmanwarrior.wordpress.com/2013/02/28/ahsoka-faces-her-greatest-challenge-watch-the-end-of-season-5-of-the-clone-wars/

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After watching that second preview I just realised something, Ventress has lost her lightsabers! Please don't kill her!

It's about time someone finished her off. She's easily becoming one of the silliest characters in the Prequel Era, constantly running around like an idiot, being used as a sparring dummy by every Jedi in the Order...

It's about time someone finished her off. She's easily becoming one of the silliest characters in the Prequel Era, constantly running around like an idiot, being used as a sparring dummy by every Jedi in the Order...

Nonsense. If you know ventress at all, you realy know that isnt true.

Lol, I respect your opinion most of the time Vent, bit this is just a ridiculous and baseless statement, and I doubt you can back it up...

Ventress in TCW is an utter joke to the actual Ventress that existed in lore and other shows.

--------------------

Buut yes...after years of waiting we might be done with Ahsoka finally...but only to see one last season after this most likely.

I don't see anything wrong with Ventress and I think she's an excellent character. *shrug* care to elaborate?

She was originally an interesting villain with a good backstory. Her betrayal and 'death' gave her character a solid arc. As it is now, she seems to be pulled in constantly to duel with every Jedi imaginable, but these duels are always inconclusive.

There's nothing worse than a boring fight, and the problem with having Ventress engage various main characters repeatedly is that it detracts from the sense of danger. You know they'll keep Ventress around because the series' writers like to have her in their pocket so they can pull her out whenever they want a lightsaber duel, but she's run away so many times that there's never a real concern she may be killed.

What makes Ahsoka an interesting character is that she's entirely original. Anything can happen to her, and so there is dramatic tension when her life is at stake. Ventress has lost any sense of such tension.

She was originally an interesting villain with a good backstory. Her betrayal and 'death' gave her character a solid arc. As it is now, she seems to be pulled in constantly to duel with every Jedi imaginable, but these duels are always inconclusive.

There's nothing worse than a boring fight, and the problem with having Ventress engage various main characters repeatedly is that it detracts from the sense of danger. You know they'll keep Ventress around because the series' writers like to have her in their pocket so they can pull her out whenever they want a lightsaber duel, but she's run away so many times that there's never a real concern she may be killed.

What makes Ahsoka an interesting character is that she's entirely original. Anything can happen to her, and so there is dramatic tension when her life is at stake. Ventress has lost any sense of such tension.

I like Ventress as a character. Especially now that she is no longer a pawn of Dooku and Sidious. She has great potential for character expansion. She no longer has to be a place holder for a good lightsaber duel.

I like Ventress as a character. Especially now that she is no longer a pawn of Dooku and Sidious. She has great potential for character expansion. She no longer has to be a place holder for a good lightsaber duel.

That's just it, she has potential. There is room for expansion, but up to this point she has basically become a placeholder. If they manage to improve her character then she might become something more.

I see what you mean, but nonetheless that doesn't take into account her excellent voice acting, depth of character, complex relationships with others, awesome look and pure style.

Nor would I say she's merely a placeholder, most if not all the episodes she features in our focused around her - of course they normally involve lightsaber fights but then again the nature of antagonists is to confront the protagonists so this is inevitable. However I disagree that that's all she does, appear and fight Jedi, I think in every episode she's been in we've seen many elements of the above.

The only place I would agree this has happened is in the Christophisis episodes (including the film). Lets also remember that she hasn't even had that many apperances pre-betrayal, which I think is the point she really starts coming into her own. I mean excluding the films we've got:

Ambush - Yoda scrapping droids, Ventress doesn't even fight in this episode.

The Hidden Enemy - Traitor clone, I would agree here her appearance didn't amount to much.

Cloak of Darkness - Where she rescues Gunray, really liked this episode - Asajj as the assassin.

ARC Troopers - When she invades Kamino, I liked the rivalry between Grievous and her.

And then BAM, after just four appearances, she gets betrayed. Notice she only ever duels Kenobi, Skywalker, Ashoka and Unduli. That's four Jedi, not exactly 'every Jedi imaginable'. I really don't think you can write off Ventress as a poor character based on four episodes...

Your only sound critcism is the fights lack considerable tension, because you know she will likely survive. But that can be said of every other character in the Clone Wars because they all appear in ROTS - in fact, if anything the only duels have tension are the ones with Ashoka and Ventress in them (concerning main characters), because they are the only lightsaber duelists who can actually die... so now I think about it, that point is kinda sucks too. Its entirely based on the assumption that the writers need Ventress to have a lightsaber duel with a Jedi, despite having Grievous, Dooku and Maul to fill that spot.

I see what you mean, but nonetheless that doesn't take into account her excellent voice acting, depth of character, complex relationships with others, awesome look and pure style.

Nor would I say she's merely a placeholder, most if not all the episodes she features in our focused around her - of course they normally involve lightsaber fights but then again the nature of antagonists is to confront the protagonists so this is inevitable. However I disagree that that's all she does, appear and fight Jedi, I think in every episode she's been in we've seen many elements of the above.

The only place I would agree this has happened is in the Christophisis episodes (including the film). Lets also remember that she hasn't even had that many apperances pre-betrayal, which I think is the point she really starts coming into her own. I mean excluding the films we've got:

Ambush - Yoda scrapping droids, Ventress doesn't even fight in this episode.

The Hidden Enemy - Traitor clone, I would agree here her appearance didn't amount to much.

Cloak of Darkness - Where she rescues Gunray, really liked this episode - Asajj as the assassin.

ARC Troopers - When she invades Kamino, I liked the rivalry between Grievous and her.

And then BAM, after just four appearances, she gets betrayed. Notice she only ever duels Kenobi, Skywalker, Ashoka and Unduli. That's four Jedi, not exactly 'every Jedi imaginable'. I really don't think you can write off Ventress as a poor character based on four episodes...

Your only sound critcism is the fights lack considerable tension, because you know she will likely survive. But that can be said of every other character in the Clone Wars because they all appear in ROTS - in fact, if anything the only duels have tension are the ones with Ashoka and Ventress in them (concerning main characters), because they are the only lightsaber duelists who can actually die... so now I think about it, that point is kinda sucks too. Its entirely based on the assumption that the writers need Ventress to have a lightsaber duel with a Jedi, despite having Grievous, Dooku and Maul to fill that spot.

I'm not just talking about TCW series, Ventress has been used as an antagonist against Plo Koon, Mace Windu, etc. in comics, novels, and the old animated series. She's just gotten to that point where for me, I'd rather have a fresh character introduced.

I understand that TCW is retconning most things when it comes to The Clone Wars, which is probably for the best since it was a messy, indeterminate era with too many mediums and authors piling stuff on top of it. So when the series is done and we can consider it as the actual account of the Clone Wars, I'm sure that things will look better.

I'm not just talking about TCW series, Ventress has been used as an antagonist against Plo Koon, Mace Windu, etc. in comics, novels, and the old animated series. She's just gotten to that point where for me, I'd rather have a fresh character introduced.

Well, as long as Anakin doesn't eviscerate her next episode it seems Barriss is taking Ventress's spot as dual wielding dark jedi

Well, as long as Anakin doesn't eviscerate her next episode it seems Barriss is taking Ventress's spot as dual wielding dark jedi

That's unfortunate. I'm not too keen on Barris turning to the Dark Side.

Edited by Aurbere

Destroy a very strong story and origin to make a cheap character for when an episode is getting boring and a quick fight is needed is not "expansion."

Ventress was a very strong, and well built character in the Star Wars universe, but like other things in TCW, she has been widdled down to some cheap BS for the sake of time consumption.

Edited by Eillack

That's unfortunate. I'm not too keen on Barris turning to the Dark Side.

Well, the outcome is still not certain, who knows, she might be redeemed or something, but I doubt it, this next episode is going to be a tragic one from what I have read

Well, the outcome is still not certain, who knows, she might be redeemed or something, but I doubt it, this next episode is going to be a tragic one from what I have read

Good. TCW has been waaaay too rainbows and unicorns and sunshine. Too little meaning deaths or tragedy of ligit scales.

Destroy a very strong story and origin to make a cheap character for when an episode is getting boring and a quick fight is needed is not "expansion."

Ventress was a very strong, and well built character in the Star Wars universe, but like other things in TCW, she has been widdled down to some cheap BS for the sake of time consumption.

Most of the episodes involving Ventress are focused around her. Never are they boring.