Why is BW sitting on Paid Character Transfers?

Graydon

Bioware has demonstrated their ability to efficiently mass transfer characters from one server to another, so why did they stop there?

I know BW has not given a when of if this service will be available, but could anyone speculate why the heck not? And what the bleep are they waiting for? If they are worried about balance, just make the initial price where transfers would slowly be purchased.

People are subscribing and unsubscribing everyday, so please don't tell me the server balance is so delicate that consolidating characters onto existing destination servers is going to blow up the populations.

There is a huge player base that rerolled new characters on the very few populated servers when their server population dried up. Now they (including me) would like to reunite all our characters onto a singel server.

I don't understand why BW is pushing this Legacy stuff while penalizing players who made adjsutments during the lonely server days. I don't see 10 page posts regarding the suspense and excitement over Legacy perks. What I do see is BW expecting us and encouraging us to play alts...well then make it so and let us consolidate please.

Bioware, why are you not implementing paid transfers? The usual "maybe we will" response is total huge B.S.

Edited by Graydon

• Replies 496
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reunite all of us on one server?Are you crazy?Everything is fine as is right now. Otherwise, prepare to play the game 1 frame at a time.

Yes reunite all your characters on to one server. How would you add lag if you could only play one character at a time?

I think the issue is they have stated somewhere they are manually applying transfers at this time [someone correct me if I'm wrong please...]

They were trying to automate the process before starting paid transfers.

I wrote a long lecture dealing with balance and economics, and deleted it. It was bunk anyways.

Yea, I too would like to consolidate my pub 50s to where my guild is. I too have to wait. Oh well, at least dailies are quick on dead servers.

Don't think we should have to pay for it when there are fewer active servers now.

I do think people that have high level characters on one server should get the option to transfer characters from another server to that one. Don't want the servers crowding up, but you should get the right to put all your characters on one server.

Probably the same reason other games wait before implementing.

First, they have to wait for the sub population to stabilize. This way, they know approximately how many people they are dealing with.

Second, they offer free transfers from low pop servers in order to bolster population levels on a set number of servers. This allows more stability in server populations.

Finally, once the dust is settled they open up paid transfers.

If BW didn't let things stabilize they wouldn't know what they had and where they had it. It is all part of a process, no one part which should be rushed. Honestly, free transfers should have filled up some servers and with 1.3 coming out Tuesday they appear to have some resub's coming back in so that might be putting things on hold. Not to mention making sure the automated transfer service is working good before opening up full paid transfers.

I'd expect to see it offered soon since I got 9 characters from 2 servers transferred in under 5 minutes one Saturday morning without any real issues (except for one character I had to rename who my other characters swore up and down didn't exist when they tried to friend them...since fixed by the way).

Ultimately, its hard to pin down what you need to do to fix things if you have people transferring willy-nilly...

I just feel they want to work out the 'increased population cap' first, before allowing people to transfer where ever they want

Maybe but truthfully it will have little impact on current server pops. I play on JC after rerolling from kraisk obelisk. KO got transfers to ordo. I didn't transfer and still play on JC. Being able to move my 50's from KO to JC has no effect on JC server pop. I currently play there and can only play one toon at a time.

It's Marketing 101: Build up demand for a product while limiting supply or availability. This allows you drive the price up to much higher levels, as people are willing to pay anything once the desire or demand reaches a certain point.

It's all about the Benjamins...

Agree with OP 100%

For that matter can we get someone with yellow text in this thread with an answer other than soon? Some information on PAID transfers would be lovely, whats the hold up?

They will come when they come. Geezus. We are only human. One thing at a time. Society nowadays lacks patience. I NEED IT NOW!!! ***?!?!?!?!

Lolz :)

Think about how confusing it would become for many players if they released free and paid transfers at the same time. That would have been a big mistake. Besides they should close the servers they intend to close before paid transfers as well. Edited by Gokkus

its only a matter of time before they do this, they know that they will make alot of money from service like this, and i they more than likely have looked at how Blizzard have done things like this with WoW and they proberly have a good idear and how much money per month Blizzard make fromt his, i would be with subs and a cash shop, plus played service swtor can make BW/EA a ton of money, even with 1.3million subs

Because a lot of servers are being merged in to just a few. It would be silly to let people transfer all over the place now when they may be shutting servers down and have to move back again.

Once we have these "super servers" and the origin servers are closed (which they obviously will be eventually) they can let people move around.

Bioware has demonstrated their ability to efficiently mass transfer characters from one server to another, so why did they stop there?

I know BW has not given a when of if this service will be available, but could anyone speculate why the heck not? And what the bleep are they waiting for? If they are worried about balance, just make the initial price where transfers would slowly be purchased.

There is a huge player base that rerolled new characters on the very few populated servers when their server population dried up. Now they (including me) would like to reunite all our players onto a singel server.

I don't understand why BW is pushing this Legacy stuff while penalizing players who made adjsutments during the lonely server days. I don't see 10 page posts regarding the suspense and excitement over Legacy perks.

Bioware, why are not implementing paid transfers? The usual "maybe we will" response is huge B.S.

Coding, testing, billing, higher priority content like, I dunno, an expansion pack that they don't want to cross up with and end up with a mass of spaghetti code?

Do you people think this stuff just magically materializes? This is a revenue producer. Do you think that they would not have it out if they could?

GREAT IDEA MAN!

Spend time and effort into getting server populations to good levels and while that's going on give the players the ability to leave said servers to reduce it or spread out to dead servers for them to start complaining all over again that they're on dead servers before a decision is made about the servers players are currently transferring off of.

AWESOME!

Edited by DarthKhaos

Do you people think this stuff just magically materializes? This is a revenue producer. Do you think that they would not have it out if they could?

And that's the point!

BW just transferred 100's of thousands of characters between servers in a matter of days. The process was smooth and nearly instant. So the code is there. The demand is there. An oppurtinutity to fix player frustration is there. Everything is there except the service.

The responses that say BW is monitoring population balances, you do realize that if I transfer 4 characters from the same faction, I did not increase the population by four? I added zero to the population. If I transfer multiple characters from opposite faction, I increased the population by 1.

It's annoying to see BW push the Legacy mumbo jumbo while a large part of the playerbase has split Legacies. BW, you make it no secret you want players to roll alts and take advantage of the Legacy junk. So why hinder us at the same time/

Once they allow more characters slots on the server then i am willing for them to allow paid character transfers... having 8 to a server is very limited, considering that there are 16 potential classes to play (8 on either side).

+1 for paid transfers to your server of choice! I'm a West Coast player who got put onto an East Coast server at launch and have since been shuttled to another East Coast server with the recent transfers. Would love the opportunity to play with people (and guilds!) who have compatible prime play times.