Who Protects Their Healers?

Josewales

Once in a blue moon I see another pug Slinger keeping an eye out for their healers....most want to top the leaderboards instead? Even the premades I notice healers are left to defend for themselves in WZs. I, myself do my best to camera swing or replant my turret just for them...and will save my CDs & CC's if a healer snuggles up. I know it's a two way street....where healers need to take advantage of others' skill for protection and look for it also. Anyways, it's ironic that 90% of the pop think they are pros in their own minds....where a simple tactic such as keeping your healer spamming, maybe 90% of the pug pop fail to do. For those who do, am sure get the odd whisper at the end of the match thanking ya.

I hear it all the time. "We would have won, but I went getting healed and they were focussing our healer".

If you aren't peeling for heals, you aren't doing your job. I'll happily take a damage hit to babysit a healer and peel, or always save my stun, pull and carbonize to use the defensively as peel tools.

I played Hpally in arena/RBGS on WoW and as godlike as they were at times, with a good DPS peeling for you it can be better the guard and push the battle lines.

really high burst classes excel at peeling, because thier own pocket healer is rarely ready for the target swap when a carnage Mara switches to peel and has a gore window up.

Do you have a tank toon? I secretly think that Deeps who think about protecting their healers must have a tank main, or at least an alt. :D

But, yes, I've noticed that healers will often notice who is helping them out, even if it's a DPS, and will help them in return. On my madness sorc, for example, I try to pay attention to keeping the healer bubbled (and everyone else, but healer first), stunning the guy that's attacking the healer, starting the lighting storm (whatever that lightning AOE is called) around the healer, throwing an odd off-heal at them, etc. And more often than not, I'll see them working to help me stay up as well. But maybe I'm just lucky and get PUGs with awesome healers? :p

But sometimes the other team is just good, and no matter what you do they are going to take down your healer - and probably you too, because, since they are good, they are going to notice that you are helping the healer stay up, so you both become "priority target 1". :(

Do you have a tank toon? I secretly think that Deeps who think about protecting their healers must have a tank main, or at least an alt. :D

But, yes, I've noticed that healers will often notice who is helping them out, even if it's a DPS, and will help them in return. On my madness sorc, for example, I try to pay attention to keeping the healer bubbled (and everyone else, but healer first), stunning the guy that's attacking the healer, starting the lighting storm (whatever that lightning AOE is called) around the healer, throwing an odd off-heal at them, etc. And more often than not, I'll see them working to help me stay up as well. But maybe I'm just lucky and get PUGs with awesome healers? :p

But sometimes the other team is just good, and no matter what you do they are going to take down your healer - and probably you too, because, since they are good, they are going to notice that you are helping the healer stay up, so you both become "priority target 1". :(

You still should peel. The sooner the pressure is off your healer, the sooner your healer can actually heal your team. Especially if your healer has some line of site. The enemy melee will be in no mans land when suddenly focused. Your tank is not going to kill very quickly on its own in normal circumstances.

You still should peel. The sooner the pressure is off your healer, the sooner your healer can actually heal your team. Especially if your healer has some line of site. The enemy melee will be in no mans land when suddenly focused. Your tank is not going to kill very quickly on its own in normal circumstances.

Oh, I didn't mean you should give up if the other team is good. I was just pointing out that sometimes you can be doing your best to help our your healers, and still the other team is just better than yours and you're screwed anyway. But yes, still keep trying. You never know when the bad players on your team are going to quit, and get replaced with better players, and then you stage a comeback. :D

As a healer, I have a serious question (may seem silly to you): who should keep LoS, my healer or the other toons ?

I try to stay aware of my surroundings, but I seem to be running after toons to heal them, and end up getting ambushed in stun wars :D

As a healer, I have a serious question (may seem silly to you): who should keep LoS, my healer or the other toons ?

I try to stay aware of my surroundings, but I seem to be running after toons to heal them, and end up getting ambushed in stun wars :D

The other players that want heals should come to you. In my opinion. There's up to 7 of them, and only one of you. Why add to your burden by making you keep track of, and try to keep in sight all the other people? I mean, sure, in a real game it can be a little of both - but I think mostly it should be the rest of the team taking on the responsibility of keeping themselves within LoS to the healer. If someone runs around the bunker to chase a kill, and into an ambush - let them die - unless they are the only person left keeping that ambush from coming to you next.

Once in a blue moon I see another pug Slinger keeping an eye out for their healers....most want to top the leaderboards instead? Even the premades I notice healers are left to defend for themselves in WZs. I, myself do my best to camera swing or replant my turret just for them...and will save my CDs & CC's if a healer snuggles up. I know it's a two way street....where healers need to take advantage of others' skill for protection and look for it also. Anyways, it's ironic that 90% of the pop think they are pros in their own minds....where a simple tactic such as keeping your healer spamming, maybe 90% of the pug pop fail to do. For those who do, am sure get the odd whisper at the end of the match thanking ya.

Ah, another healer who is complaining about a lack of protection. Let me give you the perspective from someone who likes to play tanks and healers:

If you want protection for the healers, then take a look at the protection numbers on that scoreboard at the end of the game. Look for the toon who has put up the highest protection numbers and cast a vote for him/her. Just like it's frustrating for a healer to not get a single vote for their actions during a warzone (been there, done that), it is also annoying for tanks to do their taunts and guards and get no recognition either (ditto in spades!). The consequence is that good tanks give up and switch over to other roles and either (a) leave the protection jobs to poorly geared and inexperienced noobs or (b) let the healers to fend for themselves.

Also, learn to make contacts during the game. When I play a healer, I make friends with the good tanks I see in the game. If you respect them, then they will respect you. You do that then you might get the odd guard put on you. That being said, I should point out that putting a guard on you as a healer means that they expect to be healed by YOU. Every hit on you drops their hit points if you are in guard range. So, if they are going to sacrifice their hit points, and their health is dropping rapidly , then they have every right to expect you to at least have a heal for them AT LEAST once or twice in your healing rotation. Remember they are the damage sponges and are literally taking one (or nineteen) for the team.

PLUS, the tank should be the ones remaining at the nodes -- after you die. With the exception of scoundrels and operative healers, tanks usually last a bit longer when the enemy starts whaling on them. It's tempting to start healing yourself rapidly when your health starts going down. But tanks have enough tools in their tool chests to hold off quite a few enemies while waiting for reinforcements. Try to cast a heal towards them before you die. Please.

Now that being said, I do sympathize with those healers who are stuck in the warzones with the smashmonkeys who only focus on their DPS scores. But it is a two-way street. Tired of the lack of protection for your healer toon? Remember the tanks.

Protecting(guardian leaping, taunting, switching target to the dps attacking my healer) is extremely attention intensive. I have to sacrifice some of my dps(200 damage per second on average) to protect(doesn't mean switching to soresu and offtanking) my healer like a tank when playing as a vigilance guardian. Your dps would still be considered decent in the eyes of ordinary players, but you cannot dps at your full potential. It literally makes your eyes and head hurt from managing all those CDs. I've been ignoring gen chat a lot lately too. It is easier to protect healers while playing as other specs that have easy rotation such as Pyro PTs or smash juggernauts. But for specs with complicated rotation, peeling and taunting is extremely difficult.

Dpsing and tanking at the same time is not something an inexperienced player can learn and do right away. You must be very experienced and comfortable enough to devote your attention to protecting somebody else while you still have to manage your dps and your own DCDs as well.

Edited by olcraft

Ah, another healer who is complaining about a lack of protection. Let me give you the perspective from someone who likes to play tanks and healers:

If you want protection for the healers, then take a look at the protection numbers on that scoreboard at the end of the game. Look for the toon who has put up the highest protection numbers and cast a vote for him/her. Just like it's frustrating for a healer to not get a single vote for their actions during a warzone (been there, done that), it is also annoying for tanks to do their taunts and guards and get no recognition either (ditto in spades!). The consequence is that good tanks give up and switch over to other roles and either (a) leave the protection jobs to poorly geared and inexperienced noobs or (b) let the healers to fend for themselves.

Also, learn to make contacts during the game. When I play a healer, I make friends with the good tanks I see in the game. If you respect them, then they will respect you. You do that then you might get the odd guard put on you. That being said, I should point out that putting a guard on you as a healer means that they expect to be healed by YOU. Every hit on you drops their hit points if you are in guard range. So, if they are going to sacrifice their hit points, and their health is dropping rapidly , then they have every right to expect you to at least have a heal for them AT LEAST once or twice in your healing rotation. Remember they are the damage sponges and are literally taking one (or nineteen) for the team.

PLUS, the tank should be the ones remaining at the nodes -- after you die. With the exception of scoundrels and operative healers, tanks usually last a bit longer when the enemy starts whaling on them. It's tempting to start healing yourself rapidly when your health starts going down. But tanks have enough tools in their tool chests to hold off quite a few enemies while waiting for reinforcements. Try to cast a heal towards them before you die. Please.

Now that being said, I do sympathize with those healers who are stuck in the warzones with the smashmonkeys who only focus on their DPS scores. But it is a two-way street. Tired of the lack of protection for your healer toon? Remember the tanks.

Oh exactly. When I play my tank I rarely receive some MVPs. Thus when I am on my healer I am always searching through the scoreboard and vote for a tank. Funny thing is, that when I don't manage to heal about at least a milion, people usually give me like zero MVPs.

And I agree with the rest of the msg, nice post.

it's not enough to peel for the healers though, if you are dps it's just as important to pressure their heals. A fight often goes badly if their dps shoot at our healer, our dps attack their dps and their healers are freecasting Edited by sanchito

it's not enough to peel for the healers though, if you are dps it's just as important to pressure their heals. A fight often goes badly if their dps shoot at our healer, our dps attack their dps and their healers are freecasting

Well; your healer can get out of the line of fire or range or range DPS usually. It's the melee DPS you want to peel as they will go down quickly being hopefully out of reach of their own healer. In arenas though; I think teams do kind of leave their healer and tank to survive while they go after the enemy healer, but I don't know for sure as I don't generally partake much in arenas.