Guilds

dubiousdude

Hello everyone. I am new to gaming, but am enjoying the SWTOR experience very much, the learning curve notwithstanding.

Recently, I was asked to join a guild and did so. However, after joining the guild, the game would no longer recognize my character as a paying member. Is this due to the fact that the guild was a non-paying member's guild? I figured out how to leave the guild and once I left, everything went back to normal as far as game recognition of my paid member status.

I would like to be part of a guild for the learning experience as well as the opportunity to more readily take part in group mission endeavors. What is the best approach to finding a guild to join?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Welcome to the game!

first of all, it's not your fault for joining the guild and losing your subscriber status, it's a known bug (listed on the customer support forum) and EAware is hopefully working on resolving it.

This said, if you've enjoyed playing with the people you met in that guild, nothing prevents you from adding them to your friends list (hotkey "O", there is a "+" button at the bottom right of the window to add a friend). You'll be notified when people in your friends list connect and you'll be able to know where they are.

you can then whisper them (type "/w <your friends name> <your message>") or if they whisper you, you can reply (type "/r <your message>" it will automatically fill the name of the last person who whispered you)

As for finding another guild to join, the best place to do that would be to head over the forum section dedicated to each server. There is also a sub forum for each of these server forum dedicated to guild recruitment.

Edited by Oggthebase

Welcome to the game!

first of all, it's not your fault for joining the guild and losing your subscriber status, it's a known bug (listed on the customer support forum) and EAware is hopefully working on resolving it.

This said, if you've enjoyed playing with the people you met in that guild, nothing prevents you from adding them to your friends list (hotkey "O", there is a "+" button at the bottom right of the window to add a friend). You'll be notified when people in your friends list connect and you'll be able to know where they are.

you can then whisper them (type "/w <your friends name> <your message>") or if they whisper you, you can reply (type "/r <your message>" it will automatically fill the name of the last person who whispered you)

As for finding another guild to join, the best place to do that would be to head over the forum section dedicated to each server. There is also a sub forum for each of these server forum dedicated to guild recruitment.

Thanks so much for your reply. Please forgive me for such a newbie question, but how do I learn what server I am playing on?

One thing I have found a little tricky with this game is the difficulty in finding answers to what are probably common questions. Efficient tutorials built into the game could help a lot of the newbs such as myself. This is not meant to be a negative comment, just an observation.

The complexity and detail in the game is superb. It's sure to keep my interest for a long time to come. Being and old retired phart, I have a lot of time to devote to the game. :)

Besides the forums here, you could also take The Ideal Guild Quiz. From the front page they state:

If you are seeking a guild in the Star Wars: The Old Republic community, you are faced with the daunting task of narrowing an enormous selection of guilds.

Each guild embodies a unique set of traits, each of which you - the discerning guild seeker - must review to be absolutely certain of your compatibility (after all, selecting a guild is a decision that could stay with you for years to come).

The proper choice may unlock countless friendships, whereas a rushed decision might just as easily lead you down a path of discontent (a mistake that many gamers are intimately familiar with).

To mitigate these concerns, the Ideal Guild Quiz you see before you was created.

This quiz is designed to identify your likes and dislikes, process them through a database of information collected from numerous guild leaders, and return a set of recommended guilds. It is not perfect, as the process of finding a guild is an inherently subjective personal experience, but it may provide you with insight that you would not have otherwise uncovered.

Welcome to the game, hope you're enjoying yourself.

The advice above is good, I'll just add: It's good to shop around and do some due dilligence on picking your guild. If one catches your eye, watch in PVP or wherever how they play together, talk with members, and get a feel for if you like the cut of their jib or not before signing on.

Also it's common for people to spam invites. If you get an invite you can ask them why they sent it to you if you want. If the answer is something like "I've seen you a lot in PVP and think you have what we're looking for" that's a good sign. If the answer is "I'm inviting everyone I see on fleet", or they're not interested in answering your questions about them, then they're likely a crap guild.

Edited by Joesixxpack