A class with great character, story AND ending?

normandeauc

Hey guys,

I've just finished my 3rd class story, the Consular. The other two were the Agent and the Warrior (In that order). Right now, I've felt let down by all three at some point, and I'd like to know which class of the remaining 5 would be the best for me.

I know most people love the Agent story a lot, but to me the writing was extremely lazy. It did have some very interesting twists, like the act 1 Jadus return and the act 2 mind control, but when summed up to the core, it's more or less: Chapter 1: "Agent! *insert foe here* Terrorists are planning to destroy the Empire with *insert weapon here* the Eradicators! Stop them!" Chapter 2: "Agent! *insert foe here* the SIS is planning to destroy the Empire with *insert weapon here* the Shadow Arsenal! Stop them!"

Chapter 3: "Agent! *insert foe here* the Illuminati (oops, Star Cabal, my bad) are planning to destroy the Empire with *insert weapon here* the Black Codex! Stop them!'

Ok, the Agent story is more than that, granted, but still, you get the idea. At least, summing up the Warrior's story gives something like "1: Hunt Jaesa - 2: Kill generals - 3: Confront Baras", not always the same thing. The Warrior is my favourite story so far, but the ending really let it down. Where the Agent gets 5 possible endings and where your choices actually matter (You can't defect if you've killed Kothe), the warrior gets one: Baras is out of the way and you are accepted as the Wrath. Choosing to kill him or not is pretty much the same light/dark choice that you have with every NPC you face, and in the end the result is the same. Add to that the fact that your choices don't matter (You can spare Baras no matter what you did, even if you're Dark V and kill every NPC who looks at you wrong) except if Tremel and Rathari show up to say a line if they're still alive, and you get the most anti-climatic ending possible to an overall excellent story.

tl;dr From the remaining classes, is there one where the story is on the Warrior's level but has different endings like the Agent? I know I may be asking for too much but I'd really like your help :)

Thanks!

Oh and I forgot to mention the character. I have absolutely no complaint about that whatsoever from the 3 classes I've played. With the Agent, you can really feel the struggle of an non-sith imperial in the Empire. The Sith will treat you like sh*t no matter how many times you save their butts, you get no recognition, no medals, etc. Good, good stuff.

With the Warrior, you really feel like an unstoppable ****** straight out of a Michael Bay movie with the explosions in the background. The cutscenes are the best I've seen from the 3 classes I've finished (That one on Alderaan when you break into Geselle's fortress. :cool: ), and the lines are the best. "I spit on her remains." on Korriban is still one of my favourites, and so is "No need to be concerned, I killed her parents." Playing as a jerk to everyone who keeps getting away with it because he's just too powerfull has to be the best way to cool down after a bad day at work.

WIth the Consuar, it's really different, but just as enjoyable. The whole storyline is designed to make you feel like a diplomat. Not much more I need to say except hats off to BW.

So if possible, I'd like my next class to make me feel like another character again, and I hope every class is as good as the 3 I did. However, I heard they failed to give you the Smuggler character, making you feel more like a republic agent. I guess I'll see in due time.

Sith Inquisitor has different endings based on who you kill or don't and what your overall alignment is. This is also transparent. Play Light, get Light title and have Light ending options. Play Dark, get Dark. If playing Light/Neutral, play a male. The romance arc (done properly rather than with money) is essential to a explaining a Light or Grey Inquisitor.

Only drawback on the Inquisitor is that they are often more lucky than good. YMMV.

The Knight story wastes a lot of potential. What you do is epic but how you approach it is not and there is little change to how it ends. Act III is a mess that doesn't vary as much as it should. It also randomly punishes you for some Dark decisions - but not the ones you would think.

Edited by Canareth

Thanks for the quick feedback!

I was going to play a JK with an "aggressive" style, pick the Sentinel, the arrogant responses, end up falling to the dark side, etc. I've read the dark side Knight made for a pretty deep story.

Problem with the Dark Knight is that while there are some Knight Templar DEATH TO SITH options, most swing between petty corruption (money, sex) and unforgivable acts the Council doesn't notice.

Edited by Canareth

Is it anything like the "Oh darn, you couldn't heal any of the 4 plague-infested Jedi Masters and had to kill them all? Oh well. Good job, Barsen'thor!" the Consular gets? Because I ended up scrapping that toon and re-rolling my consular as a light V (it was also very enjoyable, it's true that a dark JK makes more sense than Consular).

Trooper - Has the ending material nailed down as there is basically three endings. Kill villain and get your medal. Take him as a prisoner and then (Per von-stupid Saresh's intructions) give the Empire their greatest General back for some unimportant prisoners. Or take him as a prisoner, then tell Saresh to stop being an idiot, keep him inprisoned, walkout like a ****** and be praised for standing up for logic.

The rest of the trooper is average at best, while I do find it entertaining, I don't think it's one you would care for.

Bounty Hunter - Your character has very good dialogue, though sometimes rather strange considering the gamplay (It's hilarious when you spare a guy, asking him ''What do I look like? A psycho?" After blowing up half the dude's friends). The story is not gritty, in depth or epic as the other stories, but that is it's charm. It's simple, yet the great writing makes it the most memorable and the chapters flow very well. The final chapter making you question whether or not everything that occurs is your fault. Yeah, you're just doing your job, but are those blood soaked credit's worth it?

Again, there are two endings that are both rather satisying, though with choice in the long term your character does get a pretty good one.

Choosing from being just a average merc, or joining the mandalorians.

Jedi Knight - The character's are meh in this regard, it seems to favor lightside as most of the dark side options come off as mini-anakin Skywalker. (The other stories was good in regards that you could act darkside without being a completely whiny prat) . Though it is defiantly holding a good amount of choices, from letting a character live for him to return later to help you greatly. To how you handle a war and decide the fate of side characters that you've put in danger.

Was rather surprised when I found my favorite side character from act 1 receiving a rocket launcher to the face because of me

The story is rather dull for the most part, chapter one is redoing the EXACT SAME PLOT every planet. Your interactions basically come down to everyone telling you how utterly awesome you are, though the game is successful in making you feel awesome in this regard

Inquisitor - I hate this class, so I might just be bias here. For your character, you're built up as a master manipulator with the power to kill millions at the tips of your finger, building up a loyal powerbase to take down your enemies. In reality, you are an idiot weilding a lightsaber with no training, who stumbles through life gettign dragged around by his betters while only gettign ahead of people because the plot suddenly decides to give you everything on a silver platter.

Hell, WE DON'T EVEN GET TO LAND THE KILLING BLOW ON OUR NEMESIS!

The jedi Knight had the same goal of making you feel like the best, though this story failed at reaching the goal for the fact that you're never given a reason to feel that good. While the Jedi Knight certainly had more people telling you that you were awesome, you feel awesome because the game actually shows you being awesome. In this story, you're not going to feel like your character's that awesome when literally every great accomplishment is handed to you on a silver platter. Complete with a companion that is only there to show you that you suck at your job (Though I gotta admit, KHEM VAL IS AWESOME! And the only companion of that crew I like) and not anything of substance. The ending is actually interesting for the fact that you get a different title depending on your current alignment, coupled with a small choice of whether you wish to keep your power or not.

Edited by Codedrago

Don't get me wrong - I love all 3 stories I played.

The Sith Warrior story was excellent in every way (Beggining of chapter 3 does seem a little forced but nothing to write home about). Great lines, cutscenes, great feeling, companions, etc. The only thing I disliked was the ending, like I said there is something anti-climatic about having the same kill/spare choice as with every other NPC with the result being the same.

With the Agent, I just didn't like how the story's core is literally the same for 3 chapters. Aside from that, the details and the twists were very enjoyable. Also, the ending options are the standart I'd like every class to have, even though it won't be the case. SW story + Agent ending options = 11/10.

The Agent is probably the best story, also the one that seems more like an RPG, since it has the most choices with consequences, for example most classes go like this.

You reach the final boss of chapter 1, you fight and kill him, some classes give you the change to arrest the bad guy or execute him right then and there.

Agent end of chapter 1: You find the final boss of ch1 and you can:

- Stop his plans and fight him

- Join him

- Pretend to join him and betray him

- Use diplomacy in 10 minute conversation to get him to back down

it was very rare for me to find this level of choice in any other class story, not to mention that one of the choices can cause a pretty severe branching in the story. Also the Black Codex is not a weapon, what the heck are you talking about?

Edited by ChazDoit

• 2 weeks later...

I would say Trooper or Inquisitor

I know everyone hates the Trooper, but I liked it, although it does feel similar to the Agent as in

______ is trying to defeat the Republic with ___________

Tavus is trying to defeat the Republic with being a traitor

The Empire is trying to defeat the Republic with the Gauntlet

The Empire is trying to defeat the Republic with General Rakton

But the Inquisitor is phenomenal.

You get to see the internal politics of the Empire, but still get to slice a few Republic heads off, and becoming uber powerful

Knight: The hero's tale. I only find it to be okay. It's not terrible. It's not great. It does have some good part though. It does go about making you feel awesome though, as someone mentioned already.

Warrior: The revenge tale. Some of the other stories have a revenge aspect to them, but Warrior's is the one I feel is really about the revenge. Whether you're the loyal apprentice or the snarky one, this very much felt like a tale of revenge. Even becoming the Wrath felt like less a means to more power and more a means to revenge. The Warrior already knowing they're pretty much the ******.

Consular: This story sets you up as feeling very powerful! I felt more powerful in this story than in the Knight story. Though, while a hero story, it was less the action hero (even when a Shadow) though there was of course action. My Shadow didn't feel like a Shadow until Makeb/SoR. This and Inquisitor are my personal favorites. A bit of hero a bit of personal journey. A good mix. Chapter 1 I can see why it gets the hate it does. It's problem lies in that making any DS choices in the first chapter just has you coming off as an idiot/sadist/what have you. Following the story just doesn't make sense to go DS with it. Chapter's 2 and 3 the DS/LS choices though can go either way imo.

Inquisitor: Love this story. Tied with the Consular. Personal story of a rise to power. Great lines! Yes, there is some "feels like you're being led" but I get that feeling from all the storylines, just the way of the MMO story telling I guess. :p Only complaint is I went 1-50 storyline all anti-Empire, then forced into being pro-empire 51-60 storyline :p

Smuggler: Great lines! Boring story. After chapter 1, I was just let down. Even Chapter 2 ending, I was all "That's it?"

Agent: Overhyped imo. Not bad, but I have no idea how this one seems to come off as the most popular story unless it's just a matter of multiple endings (which all lead to the same thing) and Sniper is just a fun class to play. :) Also, it's the one class the seems to have the "Oh look! Fight a big bad! Except unlike the other classes you can't really beat yours!" :p And really, you get brainwashed even when you talk him down! "They Council was afraid you'd be able to talk them out of their dumb plans too, so it was either kill you, or brainwash you." :p I know this is considered the James Bond story of Star Wars, but I have to say, I don't recall James being totally betrayed by his own people, like the Agent was. Left to rot, disavowed, lectured for sure, but I just don't recall the level of betrayal the Agent gets :p

Trooper: The Soldier story. Some good scenes, but just didn't feel all that epic. Maybe it's not supposed to. Not bad, better story than the smuggler imo, but minus the great lines.

Bounty Hunter: I think one has to get into the story a bit more so some of it's story can really matter. I know a lot of the stories fall into this area (I've known many who can't seem to wrap their heads around caring about their Master's fate since the stories seem rushed), but not much you can do. You either get into it or you don't. Some fun lines, better story than the Smuggler, but I'm not quite sure I felt truely epic. Though, the Hunter is the one class I feel is up to taking on Force User's one on one, with the hunter being the long shot. Their trooper equivalent didn't give me that feeling.

Ok, so I've decided to roll the Trooper story next (Mostly because it was the last buff I needed lol) and I've gotta say I'm not impressed with the story so far.

I just landed on Alderaan, so chapter 1 isn't over yet, and I've already noticed 2 major flaws in the plot that simply turn me off.

1: The part where you become Havoc's commander really needs work. As if it's as simple as "Oh well they all defected, let's just pick that sergeant there to be the new Commander of the most elite fighting force in the Republic." -"But sir, there are a lot of veterans out there, brave soldiers who proved themselves during the war. Shouldn't this take time, interviews and such?" -"Nah, let's make Lieutenant Jorgan a sergeant and this sergeant a lieutenant! Congrats, you're Havoc Squad now!" .... like... really? What?

2: As for the Empire: "Wow, the Republic's most elite squad just defected to us! That's awesome! What should we use them for?" -"What do you mean, 'them'? They're not a squad anymore. We're just gonna split them all up and send every member to a different planet to do stuff!" -"But sir, those soldiers are extremely trained and familiar with each other! Their efficiency is multiplied by 100 when they all operate together!" -"You dare question me? Now your family will be executed!"

Really though. I hope the rest of the story is more coherent.

Also the Black Codex is not a weapon, what the heck are you talking about?

I know, I meant "Weapon" as in "Thing that fits in 2 words used to destroy the Empire". Of course it's a lot more than a missile or such, I know that.

• 3 weeks later...

So far I've enjoyed the Inquisitor the most. Everything in it felt more personal and engaging to me. Clawing your way from slavery through the ranks of the Sith, restoring an ancient family to prominence, fighting for your right to survive. Every story has a couple times where you only survive cuz you got an injection of plotanium, but the inquisitors' didn't break my immersion as much as some others.

Player Be Warned if you play the Knight. It's supposed to be a classic hero story: overcoming impossible odds, fate of the galaxy, and what-have-you, but that feeling is undermined by every friendly NPC basically j*zzing themselves over how wonderful you are.

Warrior and Bounty Hunter both really pick up in Chapter 3, which is great cuz their Chapter 2s seemed a lot like Chapter 1s, which is not great.

I'm in the middle of Consular and haven't played Trooper yet, so I can't really make any quality comment on those.

You may enjoy the Agent story better if you think of it not as one continuous story, but rather think of each Chapter as a self-contained adventure. To bring Bond back into it, each Chapter is like a book or movie: each is complete unto itself, with some aspects popping up more than once (compare reoccurance of Hunter to Blofield(sp?)).

Whatever you do, prepare for the following general form:

Prologue: Who are you? Sets up your character and role in the galaxy. Action hero? Diplomat? Spy? Also we'll precipitate whatever problem makes you deal with Chapter 1.

Chapter 1: We'll come up with a theoretically cool reason for you to be off adventuring, but at the end of the day it all boils down to you being a Galactic Errand Boy/Girl.

Chapter 2: Now things are getting real! The galaxy is heating up, and some sh*t is going down.

Chapter 3: "Time to Nut-Up or Shut-Up." - Tallahassee