The Wrath and his Loyalty

SotmrShadowsong

Before I begin, yes, everyone loves Darth Malgus and I'm sure everyone chose to lie/choke Servant One in the class quest on Rishi. But personally, I saw no reason to betray the Emperor. He was singularly responsible for saving the Wrath's life, helping him get revenge, and receive ultimate power. So yes, as you might imagine, I chose to stay loyal to Vitiate, as much as I love Vowrawn.

So, with that in mind, does anyone feel that there should have been an actual choice? The option to betray the Emperor even after having the choice to tell Servant One the truth seems like a bit of a farce to me. By the time we'd met the ghost of Light Revan, we pretty much had no choice in the matter.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before I begin, yes, everyone loves Darth Malgus and I'm sure everyone chose to lie/choke Servant One in the class quest on Rishi. But personally, I saw no reason to betray the Emperor. He was singularly responsible for saving the Wrath's life, helping him get revenge, and receive ultimate power. So yes, as you might imagine, I chose to stay loyal to Vitiate, as much as I love Vowrawn.

So, with that in mind, does anyone feel that there should have been an actual choice? The option to betray the Emperor even after having the choice to tell Servant One the truth seems like a bit of a farce to me. By the time we'd met the ghost of Light Revan, we pretty much had no choice in the matter.

Except he saved you only to kill you later. The Emperor wants to kill everyone. You're staying loyal to a being who admits that he's going to "eat you" when he's done. Being saved only to be murdered by your savior isn't much better than having died in the first place.

Saving the Wrath was a means to an end, nothing more.

The Emperor and the Hand required someone to face Baras' bid for power and considering recent events, there was no better person than the SW for that; the latter was clay waiting to be shaped and molded.

I never expected to have a choice truth be told, but I can understand where you're coming from.

Edited by Darth_Wicked

The problem, as mentioned, is that remaining loyal to the Emperor is a literal dead end. Your only possible 'reward' is getting to watch the rest of the galaxy die before he consumes you. It would be kind of awkward to build a story around the Wrath being a suicidal fanatic. :p

I thought the writers actually handled the situation well, given what they were trying to accomplish.

I, too, entered SOR expecting to keep my Warrior loyal to the Emperor, character-wise. The quest on Rishi actually allows you to do just that, even in the face of the evidence Vowrawn presents (the spy droids). You're still able to stubbornly stick to that loyalty on Yavin 4 at first, during your initial conversations with Marr.

The conversation with Iven, however, does an effective job of revealing the Emperor's true plans for the Warrior, and your character is able to recognize that his life may indeed depend on stopping the Emperor. By the time you've reached the end of SOR, and the Emperor issues a blunt threat against the Warrior as he returns, it's not a stretch to say that the universal Sith survival instinct would kick in. By that point, the Warrior's withdrawing his loyalty and seeking revenge against his former master is pretty well-founded.

It's true that the whole thing was a bit forced, but I thought the writers handled a tough narrative conundrum pretty well.

Because the Sith are totes about loyalty and honor. ;)

Baras gave you a lot of things, you still turned on his fat *** when he made it clear he wanted you dead for his own benefit. Betraying the Emperor after he personally makes it clear that he is similarly planning on killing you for his own benefit is totally in character.

He wants to eat the life force of everything so any Sith who helps him is setting themselves up for a Darwin Award. The one good thing to come of the emperors plan is the removal of Sith and imps stupid enough to help him from the gean pool and raising the IQ of imperials everywhere. ( you know if any imps were left ) Edited by Jrr_hypernova

He wants to eat the life force of everything so any Sith who helps him is setting themselves up for a Darwin Award. The one good thing to come of the emperors plan is the removal of Sith and imps stupid enough to help him from the gean pool and raising the IQ of imperials everywher. ( you know if any imps were left )

Inb4 Dread Master Jadus returns to save the day.

• 2 weeks later...
Jadus' plan for the galaxy is only slightly better than the Emperor's in that people get to live...in perpetual terror and misery forever.

Think I'll stick with Marr. :p

But, Jadus is a good guy? What are you talking about, young one? His plans are not comparable to that of the Emperor, not at all.

He's for democrazing of fear, hate, passion. His cause is that of lesser men. He's a hero, in truth People fighting for the lesser men, the ones that cannot stand up for themselves are heroes. Maybe a bit twisted, but all he wants is justice and equality. He is a fanatic sith, and he actually wants to share in the joy of being sith to all, even the force blind. How can anyone not like Jadus? He wants to share in what he finds to be absolute with everyone. This is actually a hero's act, even though most people would likely dislike his idea. But a lot of people dislike "new" ideas.

Edited by Leaveshill

The problem, as mentioned, is that remaining loyal to the Emperor is a literal dead end. Your only possible 'reward' is getting to watch the rest of the galaxy die before he consumes you. It would be kind of awkward to build a story around the Wrath being a suicidal fanatic. :p

I reserve the right to RP a suicidal fanatic. Thats how I defined my marauder by, but Bioware decided to poop on that and assume that everyone - no exceptions - wants to prevent the rise of the emperor (in a way that of course guarantees it as the story went).

Words cannot adequately describe how much I loathe shadow of Revan and the one-story-for-everyone plan that Bioware undertook after the game actually launched. Pretty much every single thing that I used to like about this game has been destroyed by now.

Edited by Karkais

I reserve the right to RP a suicidal fanatic. Thats how I defined my marauder by, but Bioware decided to poop on that and assume that everyone - no exceptions - wants to prevent the rise of the emperor (in a way that of course guarantees it as the story went).

Words cannot adequately describe how much I loathe shadow of Revan and the one-story-for-everyone plan that Bioware undertook after the game actually launched. Pretty much every single thing that I used to like about this game has been destroyed by now.

What game exactly were you playing before? It clearly wasn't this one. Every class is railroaded to a certain extent simply because they can't possibly create content for every possible decision a player might want to make.

It's like complaining that you couldn't declare Baras to be the true Voice at the end and offer to continue being his Apprentice. Geez Bioware, what if that's how I wanted to play my Juggernaut? :rolleyes:

In your head you may be RPing a suicidally loyal fanatic but your decisions were never that of one. If you look at them from the beginning you do what any Sith would. You make decisions balancing your loyalty as a Sith AND your own personal survival. If you were actually a Suicidal Fanatic you would never survive in "typical" Sith Society. Anyone suicidal to that degree would not survive the culling process. The only way you would make it as such would be to be raised as some Darth's secret weapon in a secluded hideaway.

What game exactly were you playing before? It clearly wasn't this one. Every class is railroaded to a certain extent simply because they can't possibly create content for every possible decision a player might want to make.

It's like complaining that you couldn't declare Baras to be the true Voice at the end and offer to continue being his Apprentice. Geez Bioware, what if that's how I wanted to play my Juggernaut? :rolleyes:

Actually... I hated that part. I loved those schemes, Baras was truelly an amazing mastermind. I'd bend the knee and declear my Master Baras the true voice in a heartbeat. The Sith Warrior story makes little sense if you're a loyal servant, in truth. But that's because all stories are "meant" to be something. Sith Inq is made to be cunning and a rebel(hence why you'll annoy Thanaton even more when you speak with him, assuring him that yes, you really have to die), and why you'll tell Vengean that, "No, Baras didn't kill that Pub, I did!", why you refuse to bend the knee etc, and why he'll betray you. It's a MMO and most RPGs don't even have the kind of freedom that we'd desire here.

Hail the Voice, hail Baras!

And as @Ghisallo said. You'd die very, very quick if you're a suicidal fanatic in the "storyline." Anyways, this game is (likely) set up in a way like KOTOR; where you get freedom but not to do whatever you'd like, so that they may create a second game set in the same "universe", based on the same stories, or at least with this stories are "background", sort of like the first galactic war, which is SWTOR's background.

Edited by Leaveshill

My Wrath was loyal to the Emperor until we got wind of the fact that he was going to kill and eat me, my friends and family. As dutifully as we served him, we have no desire to be his cheeseburger. The Wrath was not so brainwashed as to think that being food was a good idea and forgo self-preservation, unlike the insane Imperial guards.

I reckon Vowrawn felt the same way, and hence his betrayal. I liked that Vowrawn was upfront with me about what was going on behind my back with the Watchers. I don't appreciate sneaks and spies, so when I verified the facts according to Vowrawn, damn straight I lied to protect him. Damn straight I chocked the living crap out of One.

In a way, what do we really owe the Watchers? They never helped us out of the cave when they could have, they made us get our own selves out and trudge back half dead to the camp. They used us to deal with the traitor Baras. They did introduce us to Vowrawn to save him (and I suspect that was because he could liberate the Emperor's g/f), but that's the only good thing that came of that alliance, besides our revenge, which ultimately served them.

The Wrath owes the Watchers nothing, in my line of thinking. Vowrawn helped to turn the Dark Council to the SW's way of thinking in a way, and gave his support to SW. That's worth something to me.

Edited by Lunafox

I actually feel quite strongly about this. To start with I will say everything I write down is from my own interpretation and experience of the Wrath's storyline.

Personally, my Wrath would stay loyal to the Emperor, even knowing what he plans to do. I mean first of all, Wrath is a Sith. This is an organization which, despite rules to the contrary, revels in death be it enemies of the Empire or fellow Sith. Throughout the story the character displays (if you followed the dark side) a total disregard for the sanctity of life, be it his/ her own or other peoples. Hoth springs to mind when you combat the Jedi Master at the end, fighting him despite the fact the cave is coming down, something the Jedi Master alludes to during the fight. In terms of other peoples life, the fact he/ she has mercilessly slaughtered hundreds, even thousands of enemies indicates the point I was also making.

The Wrath owes his position to the Emperor. He gave him back something worth more than life to him, he gave him a chance at vengeance, which probably has a higher value to the Wrath. The Emperor is the embodiment of power, about the only thing the Wrath seems to respect or even strive for and what he is planning, is lets be honest, something many Sith themselves would quite happily attempt to do. The Emperor is the only one worthy of that loyalty, the same way in which the Dread Masters towed the line until his disappearance. Before the events of Shadow of Revan, the Wrath was free to run riot and follow his passion of murder and chaos, turning on the Emperor surely nullifies his position in the Empire, his rank losing all distinction and legitimacy if the Emperor is an enemy.

Maybe I thought about it too much or maybe I have drawn the wrong conclusions, but personally, I would side with the Emperor, regardless, causing that much death and destruction the Emperor plans is just too good an idea to get in the way of.

NOTE: I understand in terms of gameplay why we had to turn on him, I am just saying from a logical/ story standpoint from my Wrath's viewpoint.

Edited by MrDhillon

I actually feel quite strongly about this. To start with I will say everything I write down is from my own interpretation and experience of the Wrath's storyline.

Personally, my Wrath would stay loyal to the Emperor, even knowing what he plans to do. I mean first of all, Wrath is a Sith. This is an organization which, despite rules to the contrary, revels in death be it enemies of the Empire or fellow Sith. Throughout the story the character displays (if you followed the dark side) a total disregard for the sanctity of life, be it his/ her own or other peoples. Hoth springs to mind when you combat the Jedi Master at the end, fighting him despite the fact the cave is coming down, something the Jedi Master alludes to during the fight. In terms of other peoples life, the fact he/ she has mercilessly slaughtered hundreds, even thousands of enemies indicates the point I was also making.

The Wrath owes his position to the Emperor. He gave him back something worth more than life to him, he gave him a chance at vengeance, which probably has a higher value to the Wrath. The Emperor is the embodiment of power, about the only thing the Wrath seems to respect or even strive for and what he is planning, is lets be honest, something many Sith themselves would quite happily attempt to do. The Emperor is the only one worthy of that loyalty, the same way in which the Dread Masters towed the line until his disappearance. Before the events of Shadow of Revan, the Wrath was free to run riot and follow his passion of murder and chaos, turning on the Emperor surely nullifies his position in the Empire, his rank losing all distinction and legitimacy if the Emperor is an enemy.

Maybe I thought about it too much or maybe I have drawn the wrong conclusions, but personally, I would side with the Emperor, regardless, causing that much death and destruction the Emperor plans is just too good an idea to get in the way of.

NOTE: I understand in terms of gameplay why we had to turn on him, I am just saying from a logical/ story standpoint from my Wrath's viewpoint.

I'm sorry to say this, but you're sort of a psychopath then. I can see why the Emperor wants to devour all life, he wants to be a god and see the universe die, be reborn etc in a billion, billion years.

But you didn't get anything from him. He used you. Staying loyal to him because wiping out the galaxy is a good thing isn't "sith". This is like what Darth Nihilius wanted. To end all. Including the Sith. The Emperor cares not about the Sith. He's not even Sith. He's a force user. He wants to devour the Empire, the Sith with it. And he wants to murder all life. Being Dark side is one thing, being insane is another. He's not Sith. The emperor is just, the emperor. He's not Sith, and he never was. He ignores the Sith, they're his pawns. Being his slave (which you are) makes your character a braindead fanatic. Because the Emperor isn't "the Sith order", he's just a extremely powerful dark-side user. He never cared about the Sith, hence why he didn't involve himself earlier. "There is no death, there is only the force. And I am it's master".

Almost like a Jedi, don't you think? In truth the Emperor isn't sith. He isn't jedi. He's above all that. Anyone serving him are nothing but mindless pawns. I can't see why you'd like to RP as a mindless pawn, but most warriors are mindless pawnes (Dark side V - warrior) = total psycopath with the brains of an animal, so I can't see why they shouldn't give the SW an option to die for the Emperor.

And no, most Sith would not wipe out the floor of the galaxy. Most Sith WANTS TO RULE, they don't want to sit alone in the darkness for a billion years. You're clearly not "Sith" on your warrior. You're a dark side fanatic without any sense of logic. Even Nihilius didn't want to end all life. He just can't help it because his powers destroy the ones close to him, due to being too powerful. The Emperor is the only Sith that wish to ruin all life, at least if we ignore the ones he brainwashed. And well, your insane Wrath is another.

Oh. And Wrath doesn't have a position in the Empire. He lost that when the Emperor went rogue. In truth, you're lucky you're not killed already. Wrath went from "Emperor's wrath" to "Random lord", and he's therefore just that. A lord.

And well. Your personal preference seems to be well, what we'd call insane on earth. Assisting someone in ending all known life, including one's own, to help someone that sees you as an insect? Well. If you hadn't thought it trough, but it seems you reflected upon how you'd like to end all life. Which makes your character seems well, like the kind of person you normally see in black/white movies, where one is 100% evil. Because at least the Emperor has meaning , you have none. Meaning, your much worse than him. He has a plan and a point, you only want to see suffering before you die. Meaning that he's more of a nice guy than you.

But well. I guess most Sith Warriors are braindead, psyhically strong supersoldiers that can't really take care of themselves. Some of the posts lately makes it seem that way in truth. Had I been on the Council, then I'd kill Wrath to protect Baras instead. Problem solved, then we wouldn't have had to deal with insane warrior running around, wanting to cause chaos everywhere and dreaming of the galaxy's destruction. I'm sure Ravage would've been happy to assist, and Baras could continue his schemes while the Wrath rots. Rather an intelligent fat man than to look at big, stupid warriors running around. dreaming of total destruction.

*sorry to the not braindead warriors of course, but well. I've seen too many "real" warriors here lately, so I'm starting to assume that the (average)Warrior's brain is lower than that of the average mining-slave's. .*

Edited by Leaveshill

As Leaves said this means you are not playing Loyal Sith, you are playing a psychopath. I would NOT however go so far as to say that being Dark V means psychopath. They can very easily be sociopaths. The difference is a sociopath will never be as openly suicidal as you are playing.

Additionally you owe Jack All to the Emperor. All he gave you was a title and some info via his Hands. In reality you owe more to Baras imo. He could have simply given his other apprentice carte blanche to off you, even helped him do it. As a matter of fact if he was as much of a traditionalist as he says at one point he would have sacked you himself. Why didn't he? For the same reason you served him then killed him. Self interest. While your advancement was against the Sith rules (down to not even knowing the code when you are first presented to him) he see your power and talent and knows he can use you. You then later wack him because he has become a threat to you're advancement and safety when he is impersonating the Voice.

You want to play a character that simply can't exist. If you were always this psychotic you would never have lived through chapter 1.