New Planet "Makeb" Doesn't exist yet

the_nerfherder

I hate Voss. Also, BW didn't create Voss, they just picked an obscure planet in the SWU and established it's people,culture,lore etc.

*blink* What? So, if they changed the name to Boss it would be their creation, but because the name Voss was used years ago in a book with *no* further details, it's not? Are you serious man?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

correct me if im wrong (and as a huge fan of SWTOR i dont think i am) but didnt they also invent Voss? wheres your thread on that? the great thing about SW is that you can just invent planets and **** and say they were recently discovered. and the reason they chose this time period is so they could do just that. then just say that its never been mentioned in the movies/books/lore and stuff. done.

correct me if im wrong (and as a huge fan of SWTOR i dont think i am) but didnt they also invent Voss? wheres your thread on that? the great thing about SW is that you can just invent planets and **** and say they were recently discovered. and the reason they chose this time period is so they could do just that. then just say that its never been mentioned in the movies/books/lore and stuff. done.

Quesh is also a completely new planet...

Edited by Jandi

do I realey have to do this aggen ANY ONE CAN MAKE THAT PAGE!!!!! why or some fokes this dim? I can make this page and have it say what ever world is where all Vaseline in the Galaxy comes form COME ON!

I too mainly play this because I am a Star Wars fan. What bothers me more is that they ruined some of the already existing / established planets. they did a very good job on Tatooine, Korriban and Nal Hutta. While on the other hand they completely screwed up Nar Shaddaa, Hoth and Alderaan. Edited by Path-x

They will reserve major planets for the big expansions, only makes sense.

This make so much sense! :) I wish i thought of that...

Manaan had all it's surface cites razed and destroyed by the Empire, the Selkath are either underwater buried in a hole so deep they won't emerge until the movie time period or if we do go to Manaan it will be all underwater. Dantooine would be pretty much be Taris 2.0, after the Sith paid their visits.

I wouldn't mind a visit to Kashyyyk, Dxun,Telos, Onderon or Lehon(datamining looks like we might be going back there anyways) though.

When was this confirmed? i never heard this.

KoTOR 1 introuced us to Taris, Manaan, and Rakata Prime.

3 Planets which did not exist prior to Knights of the Old Republic.

I hope we go to Rakata Prime and find Revan and the old Destroyed Star Forge.

Edited by Chanez

*blink* What? So, if they changed the name to Boss it would be their creation, but because the name Voss was used years ago in a book with *no* further details, it's not? Are you serious man?

Why is such a hard concept to understand? Did BioWare do all the legwork and flesh out the people,culture,society,landscape,cities,religion etc on Voss? Yes. Is Voss basically "theirs" because of this? Yes.

Did BioWare create Voss? No, because it was originally thought up and introduced by a writer in the SWU; no matter how obscure or irrelevant to the overall plot it was, it was still created at that point.

BW deserves all the credit for making Voss a 'real"place, filling it with life and culture and making it vibrant, but they still did not create it. Plain and simple.

I like Voss and the people but I swear it felt derivative of StarCraft: zerglings every where, floating crystals, and humans in mobile homes waiting to lft off at a moments notice.

Perhaps there was inspiration there. Hardly anything in the world is completely original, StarCraft probably took some ideas from somewhere and maybe the devs felt inspired and it unintentionally resembles that series (is not into StarCraft).

I love it when people see a show or movie with laser swords and thinks they ripped off the light saber as if it came first. :rolleyes:

Edit:

Why is such a hard concept to understand? Did BioWare do all the legwork and flesh out the people,culture,society,landscape,cities,religion etc on Voss? Yes. Is Voss basically "theirs" because of this? Yes.

Did BioWare create Voss? No, because it was originally thought up and introduced by a writer in the SWU; no matter how obscure or irrelevant to the overall plot it was, it was still created at that point.

BW deserves all the credit for making Voss a 'real"place, filling it with life and culture and making it vibrant, but they still did not create it. Plain and simple.

Whether they were the first to pen the name or not, the planet would have just been that, a name, had they not made it what it was. An obscure reference to a planet that has nothing else said about that makes it close to non-existence. On a technicality, yes they did not "create" the name of the planet so it was not their original thought.

There was no reference to what kind of people lived on the planet, how they lived, what the planet was like, what climate, what political structure, no reference to anything about this world. It was just a name in a novel that had nothing given to it except its name.

If there were any of these references, I would agree that Bioware just "expanded" upon an established place but there was not even the silghtest thing established about Voss, it was basically nothing beforehand. They made it, everything about it, every thought and concept that exists in it now, they gave that name something to back besides just the name and the "idea" of it being an existing planet.

Edited by Forgon

alright, i'm one of those guys who played this game strictly because i'm a star wars nerd, a really annoying one to. But what annoys me is bioware announces to add a new planet to this game, and it doesn't even exist in the universe. Honestly, with the books i'm fine with authors writing about new planets, but i think at the point where there are that many planets in lore ( http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/list_of_planets ) it'd be much more fun to add something that players are a little more familiar with, instead of adding new things every chance you get. Plus, i could mention some other things you really messed up in the story (such as the use of kolto) but i won't get in it. What i am really saying here is: Stop trying to be creative, bring back memories of kotor fans by putting in manaan, or even better a jedi enclave on danatione.

+ f#!%ing 1

Edited by AssajiStarseed

This make so much sense! :) I wish i thought of that...

When was this confirmed? i never heard this.

"During the Great Galactic War, the Selkath attempted to maintain their neutrality as a supplier of kolto to all who would buy. But the reconstituted Sith Empire refused to accept their neutral stance, and destroyed Manaan's surface cities. The Selkath fled beneath the oceans in a mass exodus from the surface"

That was from a reference to Maanan on this website(not the forums but an actual Holonet,timeline or Codex entry) before the game released. I can't remember exactly where, but it was here at one point before the redesign or still is. Wookieepedia basically has this info along with it claiming that Manaan is now under Imperial control.

I hope we go to Rakata Prime and find Revan and the old Destroyed Star Forge.

If by Rakata Prime you mean,Lehon, then according to the patch leaks on Torhead,which have been mostly accurate so far, we will be going back there.

Snip.

I can back your statement, I remember that on the site as well. I cannot find it on the holonet or anywhere but it was definitely there when the site first started up. As for Rakata Prime, yeah it is apparently going to be a spot for dailies, probably after they release the planet Makeb and the Balmorra dailies that TORhead leaked.

Edited by Forgon

Have you not done:

the Foundry flashpoint? We already found Revan.

I think he is speaking about

Revan after the Foundry. The popular theory is Revan used Fold Space or survived another way and we will be running into him again in the future.

Revan after the Foundry. The popular theory is Revan used Fold Space or survived another way and we will be running into him again in the future.

My theory on where he'll end up....

Probably at the end of the Jedi Knight story, when the Knight FINALLY faces off against the Emperor for the last time (Chapter 4, 5, or 6 maybe) it will require a sacrifice in order to keep Vitiate from returning again in another body. I see it happening one of two ways. If the Knight did NOT do the Taral V/Jedi Prisoner FPs, I see Satele making the sacrifice. Now, if the JK did rescue Revan, I see Revan intervening and being mortally wounded by Vitiate. As the Knight strikes Vitiate down, Revan intercepts his soul and traps him in the Force as he dies, similar to Empatojayos Brand intercepting Palpatine's soul and keeping baby Anakin safe.

This is just a theory. IMO, it would be the best way for him to go out.

Bioware will create and add as much lore as it wants. Deal with it.

Before KOTOR there was absolutely nothing about Revan, Taris, and little else of the Old Republic time period. Now it's all part of standard Star Wars lore.

What's wrong with adding Makeb? OP you want SW lore to remain stale?

Seriously, people don't get it that if a fictional universe doesn't get a constant stream of fresh ideas it dies off and becomes a dinosaur. Without all these authors and creative people contributing, the SW universe would just be a relic of the past who nobody remembers except old geezers.

Honestly, a writer can have more freedom when they create something. That's why Voss is interesting while Hoth feels perfunctory.

This. If I had to choose between BioWare only using existing SW lore or only using lore they created I would choose the latter every time.

Honestly, a writer can have more freedom when they create something. That's why Voss is interesting while Hoth feels perfunctory.

Well that is a matter of an opinion.

Although I would agree about Hoth being unattractive but that is not because it was already established planet but because how BW made it. I just hate the whole surreal look and the quests on it. Another established planet that BW screwed up in SWTOR is Nar Shaddaa. The whole "Las Vegas of Star Wars" paradigm was made up by them and forced upon previously established Nar Shaddaa. That paradigm is just wrong, ie completely opposes previously established Nar Shaddaa. While Nar Shadda and Hoth being one my favourite planets in SW universe, I just hate them in SWTOR.

Now you might find Voss interesting. I on the other hand find it dull. They pretty much "copied" its look from SWG Corellia. As for Voss role in the storyline, they just can not convince me of any kind of real strategic importance of the planet. The whole "mystics thing" is just ridiculous and useless. They also didn't convince me of strategical importance of Hoth (which is not the fault of the planet being previously established but because of lame storyline in SWTOR).

As for new planets being better than already established, well I disagree with that completely. For me Tatooine, which is the oldest and most fundamental planet in SW universe, is easily the best made planet in SWTOR (visually and story-wise).

Bioware will create and add as much lore as it wants. Deal with it.

Before KOTOR there was absolutely nothing about Revan, Taris, and little else of the Old Republic time period. Now it's all part of standard Star Wars lore.

What they created in KOTOR was absolutely great, sadly they ruined quite a few things in SWTOR now. Revan being one of them...

So if think again I would prefer if they created all new planets, characters and things in SWTOR and not using anything previously established. That way they at least wouldn't ruin anything.

Edited by Path-x

Without writers taking creative freedom, we wouldn't have Korriban. It was invented by the authors of Tales of the Jedi: Dark Lords of the SIth in 1995-96. That comic book also introduced the Cathar and the series as a whole gave us Onderon, Dxun, Miraluka, Sith Purebloods, Ossus, re-introduced the Mandalorians (who hadn't been used since the 1980's) and gave us a first look into ancient Sith culture.

And without that comic book series, we wouldn't have this game. Bioware expanded on that series and gave us Taris, Manaan and Lehon. Now they have created Denova, Makeb, Quesh, Cademimu, Athiss and expanded upon the Voss, who previously were largely unknown. Dromund Kaas was created for the game Mysteries of the Sith.

I think it's more interesting to add new lore than simply rehashing everything all the time. Keeps things fresh.

where in the universe is makeb? the unknown regions?

Have you not done:

the Foundry flashpoint? We already found Revan.

Exactly he's still alive, and im ready for a single person battle with him and some rakata slaves :D

Edited by Chanez

After George Lucas dropped the ball with Hayden Christiansen he lost all right to monopolize Star Wars. Time for new blood.

Besides from what I see, Bioware made the Star wars franchise grow a set of *****! Before I wuld have always thought of Star Wars as young kiddie scifi and nowhere approaching the grit of such as warhammer 40K for example. This game doesn't quite go that far but it is on track.