useless tanking in pvp....WHY!?

Jedi_scrivex

Someone please tell me why tanks are utter garbage in PVP? I'm literally ripped to shreds in a matter of seconds by 1-2 guys every time and I'm in 246-248 gear. What. The. Heck. So much for actual strategy using tanks as walls to lead you to victory.

Someone please tell me why tanks are utter garbage in PVP? I'm literally ripped to shreds in a matter of seconds by 1-2 guys every time and I'm in 246-248 gear. What. The. Heck. So much for actual strategy using tanks as walls to lead you to victory.

what class? I play a guardian tank in 248/6 gear and certainly don't get slaughtered by 2 guys.

most of the Tank stats dont work againts player attacks... only viable way is Skank tanking ( Tank spec in DPS gear with lots and LOTS of HP stacking in gear )

Want to hear the fun news ?

in the next update they nerfing the only viable way to play tank specs in PvP LOL

doing it by nerfing the TANK dmg abilities LOL instead of fixing the damn gears or put restrictions on gears for tanks they just outright nerfing all the tanks in the game...

hey devs.. here is a nice idea... MAKE TANK STATS WORK AGAINTS PLAYERS !!! SO WE CAN USE TANK GEAR AND BE AN ACTUAL TANK IN PVP !!!!

Edited by Zolxtren

most of the Tank stats dont work againts player attacks... only viable way is Skank tanking ( Tank spec in DPS gear with lots and LOTS of HP stacking in gear )

in the next update they nerfing the only viable way to play tank specs in PvP LOL

doing it by nerfing the TANK dmg abilities LOL instead of fixing the damn gears or put restrictions on gears for tanks they just outright nerfing all the tanks in the game...

hey devs.. here is a nice idea... MAKE TANK STATS WORK AGAINTS PLAYERS !!! SO WE CAN USE TANK GEAR AND BE AN ACTUAL TANK IN PVP !!!!

Seriously? They got something against a legit tank? is it too much to ask because this 1-2 guys shredding us like soft healers is ********

Seriously? They got something against a legit tank? is it too much to ask because this 1-2 guys shredding us like soft healers is ********

As i've said elsewhere, tank gear isn't actively hindering your ability in a classic sense of tanking; however, there is also nothing it really does to help you.

VG is also the weakest right now defensively, and only going to get worse with the damage gimping nerfs.

Basically BW hates all tanks.

Devs just don't give a ****...

Players are asking for Tank stats to work against players and their abilities for YEARS now.... since freaking release....

They not TRIED even ONCE to fix it yet.....

Edited by Zolxtren

Ironically they have created a DPS/Heals meta, and are gimping tanks dps soon. I mean, they never have made tanks sturdy in PVP since the start tbh. Tanks essentially always have gotten shredded.

WAR did tanks right, they were low DPS output/high survivability/CC classes on WAR which was made by Mythic then EA later. It would be nice if some of those past devs were on swtor, but I surmise none are.

They did add a mount on swtor though, that Vertica standup mount that you stand on and float above the ground looks exactly like the old DPS class Magus from WAR. I thought for sure a dev from WAR was here due to that mount alone.

Sorry I digressed. :)

Edited by Lhancelot

If this happens to you, it's a player problem more than a spec problem. Tanks are more than fine for PvP at the moment.

in WHAT world ?

seriously slap on some actual full tanking gear and go in PvP.... NOT the Skank tanking that is actualy not a tank but a DPS with some defenses from the Spec bassicaly....

Tanks are FAAAR from fine in PvP...

the tanking Stats and because of sets outright don't really even work in PvP lol

Edited by Zolxtren

No the reason your getting nerf'd is because all tanks are doing to much DPS! To be completely honest tanks shouldn't be doing ANY DPS WHAT SO EVER ! Having tanks that do dmg makes them a hybrid class which would be fine if those that played them understood your half tank and half DPS so your DPS output should be half of what a pure DPS spec is. By removing the DPS aspect and making them a support class where they channel buffs or debuffs or Star Wars parlance battle meditations they could have created a new paradigm. The gist is this they would become similar to a healer only instead of throwing out heals your throwing out buffs or debuffs from behind a sorc like barrier a 3% boost to dmg or 5% reduced movement speed. Could have a variety of utilities like multiple channeled buffs with reduced overall barrier hitpoints, reduced push back on channeled buffs/debuffs (those that get threw the barrier)

Lets bring some reason to this rampage please.

First, as i have posted everywhere by now, my guardian numbers (from bosses as thats when im parsing):

Tank spec/tank gear: 2500-3k

Tank spec/skank gesr: about 5k (i dont pve this way much)

Dps spec/dps gear: 8-9k (depending on fight/adds/whatnot)

Assuming for a second my numbers are broadly representative of guardians (and i believe with all due humilty, I am certainly a decent guardian tank), the obvious difference is gear.

Running high endurance dps mods and enhancements almost doubles my damage! Thus, if BW did NOT seperste tank/tanks from skanks in their numbers analysis. I propose they reached a false conclusion and should have asked WHY.

The answer to me is gear. So WHY are tanks running dps gear, even many/most that run power mods for pve?

That answer? Because for PvP tank stats are marginally useful at best and totally useless at worst. Ergo it is preferential to gear for damage as much as possible without gimping survivability.

So what is the solution? I would say tank stats need analysis, especially for pvp.

Is it defending against yellow damage?

Shielding crits?

Both?

Does this make tanks too survivable?

How does this affect PvE?

Do we do anything about the low asymptote on defense?

All of these are questions that would have to be answered, and thus BW took the stupid/lazy way out and claimed OP across the board and nerfed everyone. (Well PT and shadow).

Again, if a certain degree of self deprecation wasn't your thing, why choose tanking? :rolleyes: (teasing here obviously)

Edited by KendraP

Lets bring some reason to this rampage please.

If you take a small look outside of teh world of pvp where skanks rule (which is to become worse with the announced changes which will only make a skank relatively better to a pure tank in pvp) then I would say for most group pve activities pure tanks have become the bottleneck (much more than healers), Ie for ops or Master FP's usually the role most difficult to fill is Tank. Now with the proposed changes which will be a minor nerf to skanks but a major one to Tanks I think this will become even worse.

Dunno how it will turn out but I do think pure tanks could be made a bit more attractive, both in pvp and pve

If you take a small look outside of teh world of pvp where skanks rule (which is to become worse with the announced changes which will only make a skank relatively better to a pure tank in pvp) then I would say for most group pve activities pure tanks have become the bottleneck (much more than healers), Ie for ops or Master FP's usually the role most difficult to fill is Tank. Now with the proposed changes which will be a minor nerf to skanks but a major one to Tanks I think this will become even worse.

Dunno how it will turn out but I do think pure tanks could be made a bit more attractive, both in pvp and pve

Thats my point entirely. Read my multiple rampages on the tank changes and the numbers ive posted. I focused on pvp here because this is the pvp subforum

Not sure if troll or retarded. If troll I give you 6/10.

His statement is hyperbolic however if you compare tanks here to how tanks are on other games SWTOR tanks are not comparable defensively.

I always go back to how tanks were on WAR, and in comparison SWTOR tanks are like paper compared to how Black Orcs, Oathbreakers (I think that's what they were called, the little fat dwarfs lol) etc. were.

Those tanks did little damage, but man, you'd beat on them and it was like beating on a rock they were so sturdy. I remember dreading having to kill them, because it could take so long. They would punt you, snare you, knock you down, and just annoy the holy hell out of whoever they were on lol.

Sure, they didn't do much damage but man could they disrupt a healer or anyone they decide to target on top of defending other players with guard and taunts just as tanks do on SWTOR.

I wish SWTOR tanks were more like how the WAR tanks were. :(

His statement is hyperbolic however if you compare tanks here to how tanks are on other games SWTOR tanks are not comparable defensively.

I always go back to how tanks were on WAR, and in comparison SWTOR tanks are like paper compared to how Black Orcs, Oathbreakers (I think that's what they were called, the little fat dwarfs lol) etc. were.

Those tanks did little damage, but man, you'd beat on them and it was like beating on a rock they were so sturdy. I remember dreading having to kill them, because it could take so long. They would punt you, snare you, knock you down, and just annoy the holy hell out of whoever they were on lol.

Sure, they didn't do much damage but man could they disrupt a healer or anyone they decide to target on top of defending other players with guard and taunts just as tanks do on SWTOR.

I wish SWTOR tanks were more like how the WAR tanks were. :(

Never played your comparison game Lhance but that would be my ideal as well.

Agreed, the tanking role hardly exists in SWTOR PVP. Tanks were briefly decent aoe dps balanced with decent mitigation (skanks) but that will shortly be nerfed leaving them with lower damage and lower TTL than most DPS in practical PVP.

Add in the spread of tanking functions (taunt and guard) into DPS and its clear that dev team really don't want to deal with tanks in PVP. As to why, it's hard enough balancing ranged dps, melee dps and healing without dealing with the small minority of people wanting to play tanks.

The real solution for class based PVP is to make Tanks attractive to play. There are plenty of suggestions for how to do that but its easier for the current care&maintenance dev team to just to keep tanking a PVP side show.

Agreed, the tanking role hardly exists in SWTOR PVP.
As opposed to most MMOs like WoW with no guard mechanic where tanks are genuinely worthless?
Tanks were briefly decent aoe dps
PT tanks do not have "decent" aoe. Their AOE is top tier even in comparison to dps specs designed to have good aoe. Nobody even bats an eye when a PT tank does more damage than all 4 or more dps in an arena round anymore, it's far too common to be a surprise.

In fact, PT tank damage is so dumb that running three of them with a healer in group ranked is a legitimately viable, even scary, comp. Thankfully there are ways to counter it and most people who still play group ranked are at least moderately interested in not using deliberately obnoxious comps but the fact that such a thing is seriously viable is proof positive of how busted they are.

I don't care for their methodology in nerfing tank damage but with PTs in particular there was definitely a need for something to be done. The OP of this thread has no idea how good his spec is.

Edited by yellow_

As opposed to most MMOs like WoW with no guard mechanic where tanks are genuinely worthless?

I tanked in WoW for many, many years. I was hard to kill, annoying to ignore and did good aoe damage.

PT tanks do not have "decent" aoe. Their AOE is top tier even in comparison to dps specs designed to have good aoe.

They can't tank, why shouldn't they dps? If you're dumb enough to stand in their short range, cooldown based aoe (which is also directional or channelled) then l2p

I tanked in WoW for many, many years. I was hard to kill, annoying to ignore and did good aoe damage.
sounds like all the serious arena teams that never run tanks really missed out

They can't tank, why shouldn't they dps? If you're dumb enough to stand in their short range, cooldown based aoe (which is also directional or channelled) then l2p
L2P says the guy who clearly does not actually play ranked, doesn't know how firestorm works, and doesn't know that flame sweep is at least as much the problem as firestorm is. Edited by yellow_

On PT tanks - I seriously doubt most of them would even mind a damage nerf IF it was coupled with an increase in their tankability like guardians got. PTs certainly need the survivability more, though i would like to point out that focused defense has had the **** scaling for over a year now.

By the way i have 3 PTs and 2 VGs. They are my second most played tank.

Edited by KendraP

sounds like all the serious arena teams that never run tanks really missed out

L2P says the guy who clearly does not actually play ranked, doesn't know how firestorm works, and doesn't know that flame sweep is at least as much the problem as firestorm is.

So you're the person in SWTOR who still takes ranked seriously? Arena stopped having any interest for me when I did the math on the combinations of classes that would need to be balanced in order for it to have any relevance in class based pvp.

Firestorm is 10m conal and on an 18s CD or immediate if Flame Engine triggers which itself has a 15s CD and a 50% proc chance. Flame sweep is 5m and can be used about 5 times before the PT goes into very slow heat regeneration where they'll spend most of their time waggling their blaster at you. If you cant work around that then just flat out ask for your IWIN button and save everyone the time.

All of which pointless forum nerd-off doesn't change the fact that tanks in swtor pvp have no role.

They have no better real mitigation than dps, if the dev team cant fix that then at least let tanks do competitive damage.

The only viability of tanks in PvP was through skanking. Since that is nerfed I agree they should make tanks viable again by making them almost unkillable. Or bring back skanks.