Rare items need to give more prestige!

-Damask-

Ok so am I the only one who notices that some people who are at the top of the list on prestige can have some pretty ugly looking strongholds? They are littered with cheap, ugly, non-color coordinated junk! There needs to be a better way to decide who gets to top the list. For one the more we spend decorating our SH the more prestige we should get. Just like IRL, a Ferrari gets you more prestige than a fleet of Hyundais... No good reason why the ugly doodoo brown generator thing should give the same prestige as the centerpiece emperor statue! C'mon bioware!

The prestige system is borked, that is why some of us are asking for a voting system.

I visited four new strongholds (prestige 80K+) tonight that had new names on them and all were pretty much filled with junk

Edited by Icestar

I do get why they just fill them with junk for the bonus, but don't get why they choose to list them which doesn't seem to be required to get the bonus. I am mostly focused on outfitting my Kaas apartment, but the bonus is nice, so I just filled up the other 3 for now, and I left them locked.

I do get why they just fill them with junk for the bonus, but don't get why they choose to list them which doesn't seem to be required to get the bonus. I am mostly focused on outfitting my Kaas apartment, but the bonus is nice, so I just filled up the other 3 for now, and I left them locked.

Same here. I recall a thread here where a poster offered to give extra bonus to people if their stronghold is not public(~1% or about that). I think that would make quite a few of the junkhold owners relist their junkholds as private ones.

Edited by Kulyok

I dont get why all items are worth the same amount of prestige... there are orders of magnitude in price difference between the basic vendor stuff, the crafted / cartel stuff, and the really rare stuff. At the very least, each decoration's prestige should scale based on its size.

Dictionary.com definition of 'prestige':

noun

1. reputation or influence arising from success, achievement, rank, or other favorable attributes.
  2. distinction or reputation attaching to a person or thing and thus possessing a cachet for others or for the public:

Which basically means: I agree with the OP.

Although I'll qualify this: I want 'rare item' to be something you can only get via drops or at a certain Reputation, not stuff you can simply buy from a vendor with credits or Prefabs or rare items as defined within a Cartel Pack. A complete set of drops from, say, Dread Palace should be worth more than a Basic Bed and two Basic chairs.

Even if the system could be gamed for people who are ludicrously wealthy and buy the decorations off the GTN, it's still indicative of a person who has put a lot of time and effort into the game to accrue that much wealth. Plus those rare items would become even more expensive, making the items all the more precious when accrued from the drops.

Edited by AlixMV

I have all 4 houses on Shadowlands (Fel something for each) about 110k Prestige now and all mostly decorated as best I can if you ever wanted to see

I also think the ones that actually take decorating seriously and do good jobs should earn bonus prestige as well too imo. I know some have more creds than others but for those that are really trying not goofing off like the 50 metal chairs, 50 beds, etc all laid next to each just for prestige and listed should earn more prestige than them.

Edited by Theeko

What makes me upset too is my Dromund Kaas one is decorated for the bonus, but has a higher prestige than my tatooine one that I have invested hours and millions into.

Prestige is just based on personal, you just haven't completed tat yet with 100%, once you do they'll all be the same at 100%

Voting system is the way to go, or some formula that takes prestige/votes both into account. No system will be perfect and of course votes will be exploited as well, but the current system is complete nonsense. 100% 100k+ prestige Strongholds sitting at the top of public listing that are not so much as badly designed as not designed at all, simply stuff thrown in with half rooms empty to bump bonuses etc. Edited by Pietrastor

Prestige is just based on personal, you just haven't completed tat yet with 100%, once you do they'll all be the same at 100%

Yeah, that. A stronghold's prestige rating is just simply its completion percentage (which is based only on number of hooks filled) multiplied by your personal prestige score (which always gains +100 for first copy of a new decoration unlocked and +2 for each additional copy unlocked). And then subscribers get that multiplied by 2 as well.

It's shortsighted and weird that it's like this, but the system does not acknowledge any sort of measure of rarity / value of the items placed or the repetitiveness of items used or the (subjective) thematic continuity of your design decisions. It's nothing more and nothing less than A times B times C.

So the suggestion that needs to be made is that they implement a new prestige rating (call it something else or rename the old one to something else) which assigns a value to each item placed based on the rarity of the item (I just mean in a general sense, but they could also consider coding in some diminishing returns for repeating an item in the same stronghold) and the size of the hook used. I would also suggest that they create a target prestige rating and base "completion percentage" on that instead of hooks used. (It would still have a max number of hooks that can be filled. The target rating would not be a maximum rating though. Completion would be capped of course, but you still get to build prestige rating beyond that point.)

I think something like that would go a long way towards acknowledging strongholds with a little actual effort put into them. Yes? And it would make it harder to reach a high stronghold bonus just from throwing freebie items down in a heap.

Ok so am I the only one who notices that some people who are at the top of the list on prestige can have some pretty ugly looking strongholds? They are littered with cheap, ugly, non-color coordinated junk! There needs to be a better way to decide who gets to top the list. For one the more we spend decorating our SH the more prestige we should get. Just like IRL, a Ferrari gets you more prestige than a fleet of Hyundais... No good reason why the ugly doodoo brown generator thing should give the same prestige as the centerpiece emperor statue! C'mon bioware!

Stop thinking of the public listing with a number beside it as some sort of score board - it isn't.

All the number represents are the number of unique items in ones collection (with a very small amount for duplicates) along with the number of hooks used.

If you want some sort of 'ranking' system for how well decorated a place is, it would have to be done through some sort of community voting system (though even that could be gamed).

Anything else is just as subject to gaming as the current system.

I have most every unique item in the game, and some of the more rare items are - IMO - ugly as hell, yet I could dump a bunch of them into a stronghold to obtain a high score under a 'rarity' system, and still have a place that looks like a galactic thrift store.

either that people dont care about decorating and just care about prestige or that people are working on prestige first then will decorate once its near the top, ive been doing both decorating & trying to work on prestige, from the looks of it i think my strongholds are probably the most decorated on my server atm Edited by Theeko

1st I agree with the OP.

I have got the Tank from EC, the Holocron from DF, the Hypergate Irregularity and the Datacore fom TFB, the Mind Traps from EV and so on and it all counts the same as a basic chair (of which I have 50 personal and around 30 in Guild SHs). That is a bit annoying.

2nd The bigger SHs need to give more prestige.

The SH prestige should be based on the number of decorations in your SH, not the %.

If every decoration placed would give you 0.0033% of your personal prestige your DK/Cor SHs would have 99%, (x300 hooks) the NS one 140.25% (x425 hooks) and the tat one 1.65% (x500 hooks) of your personal prestige. (not including the sub x2 multiplier)

I have 73% on my NS SH (nicely decorated and more decos than either of my other ones) and 78% on my DK and Cor SHs (spammed basic junk, speeders and trophies).

They don't really need to give the "rare" items more value, they fulfill their purpose as-is already. Rare items still create a gap between those who have them and those who don't. If two people are focusing on building up their prestige, then both people should already have all the common items unlocked anyways. This leaves only the rare items left, and whoever has the most rare items will have the higher prestige.

Saying "this guy's common table is worth as much as my grand emperor's statue" is pointless because if that table is so common then you should have it unlocked as well anyways. But if he doesn't have your statue, then you should have a lead on him unless they have a rare item you don't have to cancel it out.

Edited by Terro_Fett

Agreed... people have pointed out flaws with the prestige system for a while now. I think it should be a vote up system (basically a like system) so you can vote people up but not down (to prevent people harassing others to get there's an edge).

^^

Like that idea, but the problem with it is someone might abuse it somehow and keep voting there friends up higher than anyone else, without even looking into other peoples houses. But yeah for now its whoever has the most money or raiding experiences from the looks of it, all the NiM / HM / SM trophies give alot of prestige not saying the majority of it, but about 30% or around there I say. I have not done alot of raiding yet so I don't have alot of Nim / Hm / Sm trophies even though I could easily do some of the older ones with experienced 180 players and get those but probably nothing like Dp/DF yet, I do however had the creds to spend on quite alot of unique +100's. So there must be a way to solve all this but I just don't see how yet, I really like how they did it so far I don't mind that i'm not placed ontop I just mostly care about how good of a job I did on decorating mostly. (Even though I'd like to be ontop ha)

Same here. I recall a thread here where a poster offered to give extra bonus to people if their stronghold is not public(~1% or about that). I think that would make quite a few of the junkhold owners relist their junkholds as private ones.

The conquest point bonus should be removed to stop people from decorating like this, don't give them extra incentive to put no effort into decorating.

The conquest point bonus should be removed to stop people from decorating like this, don't give them extra incentive to put no effort into decorating.

Really wish they would just leave there houses unlisted tbh, should be a limit on what you can list on the Terminal, like houses that are actually decorated instead of stuff placed randomly anywhere imo

Agree!

Things like NIM accomplishments should be worth more than 100 points like a basic metal chair is the first time.

Things like Elite Warlord should also be worth some prestige as well.

Rare Drops should also be worth more points the first time.

Crap that should NOT be worth more? Anything CM purchased. Lets face it folks the golden rule applies. He will the most gold will make the rules and in this case the highest prestige as well. (More items purchased, more new +100 unlocks)

Things like NIM accomplishments should be worth more than 100 points

Actually I would like them to remove the points from accomplishments like SM, HM and NiM. Then we will perhaps not see alot of strongholds with tons of points filled with only trophies.

I prefer that they give points to stuff that actually look good, may it be from the cartel market or obtained in a FP/OPS

I like the fact the trophies give +100 as well, but I really don't like people using the same one 10 times in one house just to fill it up to the prestige, I think there should be a limit of 2 of each trophy per house, but no more than that. Some have more money than others so they get prestige from buying stuff, others get it from trophies raiding etc, but some do both so they'll be the top end, I don't really mind about that I just mind if they put forth the effort to decorate decently and if not don't bother listing the house on the public view, you don't need to List your house to get the Benefit of the Conquest bonus.

They don't really need to give the "rare" items more value, they fulfill their purpose as-is already. Rare items still create a gap between those who have them and those who don't. If two people are focusing on building up their prestige, then both people should already have all the common items unlocked anyways. This leaves only the rare items left, and whoever has the most rare items will have the higher prestige.

Saying "this guy's common table is worth as much as my grand emperor's statue" is pointless because if that table is so common then you should have it unlocked as well anyways. But if he doesn't have your statue, then you should have a lead on him unless they have a rare item you don't have to cancel it out.

Ya know, I was on the bandwagon with the "Rare items should be worth more!" until I read this.

I hadn't considered that if you found a rare deco item and unlock it and I don't, then you automatically have more prestige than I do by just using another Basic Chair. Heck, I'd have to use 50 Basic Chairs to match what you did with that one item.