Ancient Hypergate - Thoughts?

Azrienov

^THIS... I always get stuck on guard duty so at the end the match I look like a piece of **** and get hardly any comms or valor

In the last AH I was in, I noticed the poor sap who was stuck guarding our node the first 'round'. So after we captured it the second round, and I saw it was the same guy, I volunteered to take over for him. Then I thought to myself "*** am I doing!?". I find solo guarding to be the most nerve wracking thing in all the "node capture" WZs. It's like the (American) football field-goal kicker with a chance to kick the game winning field goal. One little mistake and suddenly it's entirely your fault the game was lost. :) Luckily, though, we were dominating that game, and won.

But I like the new WZ. I don't really have a reason, maybe just because it's new. Or maybe because I've had more wins than losses with it so far.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the only ones that don't really like it have no idea how to play it

Sorry but you don't get to pass judgment on people's opinion like that. I know how to play it and I dont like it.

No defender points for guarding. WTH

6 sec cap time is very very stupid. No explanation should be necessary

Door timer somehow feels longer and more frustrating than voidstar. Plus the waiting area is huge. if you are waiting at one door and realize you need to go out the other, you can be stuck for another cycle. (yes I know you can drop down and go through the tunnel)

The area feels too spread out so that there is actually not much action. It takes too long to get anywhere. On the other hand mid feels too cramped.

Stupid little blocks everywhere on the ground mess up your kiting. Especially healers focused on ops frame.

Only had it pop once but I don't know. Don't really like it even though our PUG steamrolled. I managed to get 290k healing on my lvl 32 op but I didn't get a single objective point :confused:. I guess I didn't contribute at all or the way objective points are calculated aren't favorable for healers on this map. Otherwise it seems to be a 1 vs 1 fest where everyone are spread out except a few mid preventing the others from grabbing orbs.

Neat map, atm though it's my least favorite. I'm hoping once everyone gets acclimated that'll change since it offers a lot for clever tactics and comeback opportunities. The typical cap side then Big Zerg in a Small Room routine isn't too exciting. But I like how there're a few different ways to get ahead or screw over the other team.

Agreed that def. points need to be sorted out.

Edited by Joesixxpack

My first couple runs were confusing but after that I had it down and was having fun. There's skill and objective play involved and no cheap cc trap/fall kills. My only complaint would be that the map and mechanics are very video-gamey/artificial but that's a small gripe outweighed by the fun. I'm very happy it's not another Huttball (I'm told I'm very good at HB but I still hate it).

Hey all - Here's my thoughts on The Hyper-gate:

I like it. It's on par with the other WZs we have, if not better. Please make sure you play it several times and understand it!!

On the flip side, there's several places where you cannot force leap an opponent, even if you're in range and you should be able to force leap to them. I'm specifically talking about the surrounding areas by the pylons; that corridor from the power up buff --> toward the pylon. (FIX IT DAMN IT!!)

-Seeng

Hello,

I wanted to clarify that we are aware that defensive medals are not being granted to players defending pylons. Thanks to your reports, we will be adding this to our Known Issues list and working on a fix for this in a future patch. Thank you for your patience.

so will this be fixed within 2 months. good to know

Hello,

I wanted to clarify that we are aware that defensive medals are not being granted to players defending pylons. Thanks to your reports, we will be adding this to our Known Issues list and working on a fix for this in a future patch. Thank you for your patience.

It seems, the warzone counter isnt updating the delivered orbs.

I saw it "counting" the deliverance in the little circles around the pylon green in some picture, but not life at all

Hello,

Yay in the future no more finishing with only 2 medals due to guarding.

Are you people on crack? It's the best warzone Bioware has come up with and it is the best for 1 reason alone. "You get punished severely for being a stupid ****."

*The map is even. It takes the same amount of time to get from the spawn to each pilon as it does for the enemy faction.

*You can't see how many people are going to each node until you are committed to taking a side.

*Holding 2 pilons is always better than holding 1 and trafficing orbs or landing kills. Taking 2 pilons is not easy. You can also take 1 pilon and then attack their pilon and stall their cap for the entire round by playing smart. This also can blow up in your face especially if you are severely outnumbered.

*People can solo defend a node from 1 attacker by standing a good distance away from the pilon. 1 stealth can take the node from you with ease if you are standing right next to the node.

*The round resets periodically re-balancing the fight.. The strongest team can lose at any point if they **** up.

I agree, tons of fun.

Are you people on crack? It's the best warzone Bioware has come up with and it is the best for 1 reason alone. "You get punished severely for being a stupid ****."

*The map is even. It takes the same amount of time to get from the spawn to each pilon as it does for the enemy faction.

*You can't see how many people are going to each node until you are committed to taking a side.

*Holding 2 pilons is always better than holding 1 and trafficing orbs or landing kills. Taking 2 pilons is not easy. You can also take 1 pilon and then attack their pilon and stall their cap for the entire round by playing smart. This also can blow up in your face especially if you are severely outnumbered.

*People can solo defend a node from 1 attacker by standing a good distance away from the pilon. 1 stealth can take the node from you with ease if you are standing right next to the node.

*The round resets periodically re-balancing the fight.. The strongest team can lose at any point if they **** up.

I agree, tons of fun.

THe only issue with this map is the "box carrying" mechanic, and how little reward it gives you for so much time put into running back and forth. An example would be a game I played with friends, my side took the west node and carried boxes, the other side fought at the east node and prevented them from getting it. Although I was running boxes as a carnage mara (15% speed boost) and haulin butt with predation, my friend who was killing stuff at east got more medals, more objective points, more damage done, etc.

I feel like this is just another node game - boxes really don't matter, and will never be the deciding factor. WHich is fine, if this warzone is about killing people and holding a node, ok sure we know that works. But it's not original or interesting. Just another flavor of ice cream. Not a terrible flavor, but it doesn't really impress me.

the map went to the bottom of my list and rather quickly... it feels like too much PVE rather than PVP.

We need more maps like CW and huttball.

The CW style map really feels like your in a war, the Guns shooting at the ships just gives that feel.. More maps like this please BW

Personally it is my favorite warzone. That being said however I think the warzones overall could be improved. As some have commented it seems fairly impractical for the Republic and Empire to be fighting over this particular weapon. I like that there is a fair amount more strategy behind this warzone than there has been in the others. (A lot of people still don't really get how to properly play this warzone) In general I feel like the PvP aspect of TOR could use a major upgrade. Create drastically different environments and gameplay that make sense with the overall war between the Republic and Empire. Let us choose which Warzone we are entering. Have some larger more all out massive battles. Do one warzone by kills, or taking over bases, in essence perhaps a Battlefront styled Warzone? Just change it up a bit Bioware that's all I'm asking.

The Good

• Two-phase gameplay - leads to fights that get shaken up and remain somewhat more interesting.
  • Emphasis on individual fights mattering, as it contributes directly to the score.

The Bad

• Nodes are so far apart even from the middle buffer zone, that setting up coordinated assaults on pylons is very difficult, if not impossible.
  • There appear to be few strategies that can be worked due to this distance disparity; it might be a better idea to simply set up ganks than play the warzone's objectives, provided most teams do what I currently see where one side takes one node, the other side takes the other, then everyone goes to dueling
  • Not nearly enough LoS cover spots to take advantage of. In fact, even though I don't usually PvP as cover classes (stealth is more my cup of tea), there do not seem to be a wealth of any cover spot to take advantage of, which puzzles me, given that two base classes give the option of using cover.

Suggestions

• Add cover locations for cover classes, and more LOS breaks for non-cover classes.
  • Slightly increase the time between pylon detonations, to give more time for factions to fight over nodes. At max, an additional 30 seconds would do much to make fights more interesting and keep pylons changing hands.

Edited by Asvarduil

THe only issue with this map is the "box carrying" mechanic, and how little reward it gives you for so much time put into running back and forth. An example would be a game I played with friends, my side took the west node and carried boxes, the other side fought at the east node and prevented them from getting it. Although I was running boxes as a carnage mara (15% speed boost) and haulin butt with predation, my friend who was killing stuff at east got more medals, more objective points, more damage done, etc.

I feel like this is just another node game - boxes really don't matter, and will never be the deciding factor. WHich is fine, if this warzone is about killing people and holding a node, ok sure we know that works. But it's not original or interesting. Just another flavor of ice cream. Not a terrible flavor, but it doesn't really impress me.

This. Map is interesting, it has nice objective points, you can win even if u are far behind, but make that box looting important.

At this point people cap one side, try to prevent other from caping and kill each other. Kiling gives points as well, nobody is looting that lightning stuff. Make that only way to win the game, maybe lower the loot time, to 3 seconds, then it will be someting different.