"Macro" Question and Help

makallitank

Hi. I'm wondering if TOR offers any type of built-in macro system, similar to WoW's, where it's nothing automated or against the game rules, but just something to make life easier. I'm also wondering if there are any addons or programs that are deemed "ok" to use by the TOR team.

Basically, let's say on my Jedi Knight.

I have one ability that has no cooldown that deals minor damage and gives me three focus.

I have a second ability on a 15 second cooldown that deals minor damage and gives me six focus.

Would there be a way to put these into a single button (With or without an addon) so that when I press it, it uses the 6 generator first, and then the 3 generator every other time?

My post may be a bit confusing, so I apologize.

Please don't jump on me if it looks like I am trying to break the game rules - I am not. If there is no legit way to do this, I have no intentions on looking into it further.

Would there be a way to put these into a single button (With or without an addon) so that when I press it, it uses the 6 generator first, and then the 3 generator every other time?

No.

I want to say more, because I think a one word response seems harsh.

There. I did. :)

A quote from Philip, who is with Bioware, in response to a question in another thread about using macros:

Chiming in....

I'll be as clear as I can be.

Automation of the game in any way is against the ToS. This includes macro'ing in order to respec during Warzone matches.

Remapping keys on a keyboard (or Nostromo or Logitech) device so that one key press == one click or ability cast within the game is fine. Using a programmable keyboard or software macro so that one key press == multiple clicks or ability casts in the game is not.

Hopefully that doesn't leave room for 'interpretation'. If it does, ask a binary question and I'll give a yes/no :jawa_wink:

Edited by Nmyownworld

Okay, thank you for the response.

Personally, I think it's silly that skills like this are not baked in.

Two spells that do the same thing, just one grants more resources and has a CD.

VS

One spell that grants you 6 power every 15 seconds, and 3 power every other use.

That's just plain ability bloat.

No.

I want to say more, because I think a one word response seems harsh.

There. I did. :)

A quote from Philip, who is with Bioware, in response to a question in another thread about using macros:

With all due respect to Phillip, if someone wants to program a thumb button on their gaming mouse to push Q & A one after another, and Q & A are Combat Focus & Force Stasis, there is nothing BioWare can do to even determine that a programmable mouse pushed Q & A, as opposed to me just tapping Q & A myself.

I fully support the lack of addon support in SWTOR; it made for an arms race of boss fight difficulty vs add-on walkthroughs in WOW that eventually made the very same add-ons mandatory. But suggesting that you can't do something like make your programmable mouse push two buttons at once is laughable, and impossible to enforce. Abilities that ignore the GCD were intended to be used with another button press. And any mechanical advantage a player with a gaming mouse has is pretty negligible.