Group roles in pugs

After an interesting run of a 55 HM fp with my healer, 1 of the dps and I came up with how group roles work in pugs. Hope this guide helps you to understand what your new role is (if your reading this and think this is a serious guide please uninstall the game).

DPS:

A pug's dps role is all about numbers. An important thing to remember in respect to numbers is if you attack weak enemies they will die before you complete your rotation and you will end up having to look for a new target. As such you are better off shooting the strongest enemy you can find which is more likely to allow you to complete a full rotation without interruption. Bear in mind that if your dps character relies on cast times (sniper for example) that moving around will interrupt your casts, thereby reducing your dps. As such when that big red circle appears at your feet, representing you are about to be shot with a missile, killing you instantly it is imperative that you stand still so as to not interrupt the ambush you just started casting. If you have taunts available as you are a dps specced tanking class these should be used on cooldown.

In terms of out of combat the dps's role is to pull groups, decide if you should fight or avoid the enemies that can be passed and most importantly set the pace. If your dps has full hp and full resource (or is at a level you are happy with) go ahead and pull the next group.

Tank:

A tanks role is to act as a third dps. As above they should attack the strongest enemy (and only 1 enemy) in the hopes of completing a full rotation before the enemy dies. As such it is fine to spec dps and queue as tank for that faster pop as you will just be dpsing anyway. As a tank class you may have a number of abilities that help you survive (take a jugg as example there is saber ward, enraged defence, endure pain and possibly invincibility). These are to be ignored and preferably left off the quickbar as they deal no damage. There is also sabre reflect which does do damage, but be careful as it may result in you getting attacked by a lot of enemies and as a tank you don't want that. As a tank you will have a stance/technique/whatever which increases your armour and lets you guard people. This is useless as the other available options increase your dps, so dont bother using this armour buff thing.

Out of combat the tanks role is looting. It is your job to click need on every piece of loot as you are a tank and get a quick pop so it doesn't matter if you get kicked.

Healer:

This is the most important part of the guide as this is often the weak link in the group. The healers role is to tank and kill everything else, this includes adds (which is self apparent by the fact that when adds spawn in they make a b-line for the healer). Sometimes you may also be asked to heal the tank and dps too. If the dps and tank are willing to carry you through they will come back after killing their targets and kill the things that you weak healers have not killed yet. Otherwise they will just leave you fighting those enemies yourself while they run off to start the next fight. If the boss enrages then you need to heal through the damage.

Out of combat it is your job to heal everybody back to full health whilst on the move between trash pulls. If this results in you running out of resource thats your problem.

Tips:

Overload kills everything instantly and should be kept on CD

If your going to guard put it on a healer, if a dps asks for it kick them

If the healer asks people to hold aggro off him kick them, they are just whining

If a dps is not shooting the strongest enemy and uses some pathetic excuse like "peeling off the healer" kick them

If the tank uses a taunt kick them, this ability does no damage so is a wasted GCD

If the healer asks you to use out-of-combat heals kick them, they clearly can't keep up with your pace

Any healer that is not capable of tanking and killing everything missed by the tank/dps should be kicked

Anyone who mentions tactics is clearly too weak to pew-pew-pew the boss, kick them

If your tank is a shadow/sin kick them, light armour cannot tank

It is imperative that before initiating any vote kick you must first flame them with caps lock on so they know you are right

If theres any important aspects of pugging I have missed, let me know I will add them.

Edited by BobFredJohn

Don't forget it's always the tanks role to click the kolto terminals in a TFP. After all, he's the only guy/gal taking damage so it makes sense he should be the one clicking for heals.

On this there actually is a point.

Even if they heal the whole group, the person who actually clicks them gets healed more and faster than everyone else.

Sometimes the "tank" actually needs that bigger and faster heal.

Wow, This "guide" is so completely STUPID, yet, it is so very true, especially as of late with everybody leveling characters so quick, that they don't know how to play them. They only leveled a "tank" because they didn't have one yet and tanking is just as easy as hitting stuff with a blaster, right. Very nice descriptions by the way.

Amazing and very very accurate guide! Especially the part about DPS queuing as Tanks I mean who needs a Tank when a DPS can do it just as well if not better and those whining healers who can't handle a mob or two themselves I mean come on healer pick up your game ;)

In all seriousness though this is sadly so accurate of the state of the game at the moment.

You forgot about the ADDS! Adds are always the responsibility of the healer. This is obvious since the adds spawn with aggro on the healer. DUH! If the healer cannot kill and tank the adds, in addition to all but one of the other enemies (which is being properly handled by Tank and both DPS) then he/she is clearly a n00b and must L2P. Only a vote kick will solve the problem. Be sure to use capital letters while flaming them in chat about how terribad they are!

You forgot about the ADDS! Adds are always the responsibility of the healer. This is obvious since the adds spawn with aggro on the healer. DUH! If the healer cannot kill and tank the adds, in addition to all but one of the other enemies (which is being properly handled by Tank and both DPS) then he/she is clearly a n00b and must L2P. Only a vote kick will solve the problem. Be sure to use capital letters while flaming them in chat about how terribad they are!

Thanks, I missed that important bit, I have edited it in.

Ok Im a newb and have know idea what a pugs is. and while were at it can a jedi shadow be a tank for DP

and what should he/she stack for best results.

As the guy below said this isnt the place for advice. Check the classes-assassin/shadow section. Theres probably something there about shadow tanking.

A poorly played shadow isn't much of a tank, a correctly played 1 is poetry in motion, so yes they can tank despite what people say about "light armour can't tank" <- they are wrong.

An actual guide on how to run in groups.

Shadow tank guide (though I didn't read through it but its probably right/somewhere close)

Edited by BobFredJohn

Tanks need to remember that once the dps have engaged one group, it's very important for you, being the unstoppable killing machine that you are, to leap to the next group, and then saber throw into a third group. This is done to save time and to gather up all the adds to the healer can aoe them down. Once the healer has engaged all the mobs' attention, it's time to start looking for a fourth and fifth group to pull. The healer should be killing the groups and following you at the same time, in the event that the useless healer has failed to maintain aggro and some mobs are trying to kill you, the tank.

They really have to put all taunts at tank skill tree.

Every time when i see tank class dps in my group, i know that there will be a problem holding the aggro with my guardian.

I don't know... maybe some of them thinks that taunt do some damage, since they use it on CD.

A few minutes ago at Cademimu SM - vanguard and another guardian. All run was a never ending taunting, even at Ortol the vanguard start with taunt and move him around the room... man, i hoped he's gonna burn at some point, but no - he knows what to do. I asked several times in chat why they do this, but got no response. And now my ignore is full with all kind of ppl and the fp pops are harder and harder.

• 3 months later...
I have added the bits about dps using taunts on cd and how healers are required to heal through enrage damage.

thanks m8, i was just arguing that it wasn't healers' fault if my pug wiped during enraged underlurker, but now i see the issue was them being nubs and unable to heal through rage storm