P2W is bad?

Zunayson

WHY?

Yep, a Gear grind QQ thread disguised as a P2W QQ thread!

Give me a reason why pay to win is bad.

PVP MEASURES SKILL! THOSE WITH BETTUR MONEY WINS!

Those with bettur gear wins....

PVP ISN'T SUPPOSED TO MEASURE THE SIZE OF YOUR WALLET

It's also not supposed to measure the number of empty spaces on your calender... which is what allows you to get the gear and therefore win....

REBUTTAL: GEAR DOESN'T NECESSARILY CAUSE AN AUTOMATIC WIN; SKILL IS INVOLVED! THE GEAR GRIND IS JUSTIFIED!

Then so is P2W, since "gear doesn't necessarily cause an automatic win", then any advantage obtained unskillfully via money is analogous to any advantage obtained unskillfully via time sink.... Thus, since I most likely must spell this out for you, if an advantage via time sink is justified, an advantage via micro-transaction must be as well.

GEAR SLAUGHTER DOESN'T ENCOURAGE NEW PLAYERS TO PLAY, THIS GAME IS DYING!

Not only is this off-topic, but the grind right now has a huge gap and also "doesn't encourage new players to play". In other words, your point is invalid!

EDIT: Wave 2 of arguments after more than 100 replies! :o

P2W TAKES OUT ALL THE CHALLENGE TO GET REWARD! G2W DOESN'T!

Okay, you're saying that P2W doesn't have challenge, and that grind 2 win does. So let me think: what does grind to win have that pay to win doesn't? .... grinding. So if you're saying that P2W doesn't have challenge but G2W does, you're telling me that grinding is the challenge. And if this game is about who has the most time on their hands... then... gah thank God halo 4 just came out so I have something to run back to.

BOTTOM LINE: Your point only works if you're admitting to PvP (NOTE: Player vs Player) being about measuring the time the player has grinded, and not his or her skill. The former goes against anyone's doctrine on the matter and the latter invalidates your point :)

P2W completely screws up gear progression, takes away all the satisfaction from getting new pieces, would make server firsts completely meaningless and there would be no reason whatsoever to raid or do warzones.

Well, this is sort of iffy, since some believe pvp should, and others say it should not have gear progression. Since you obviously believe it should, let me spell it out for you: What is Pvp? PvP, from the definition I'm aware of (Please do correct me if I'm wrong) is Player vs Player. This should be to compete. You say that lack of gear progression means that warzones and raids would be completely meaningless.

RIght now a full recruit will get stomped by a full wh. This is NOT progression. I'm not gonna lie i don't care at all if I have recruit. I care if I get stomped by full war hero. You are not forced to play lv 10 content as a lv 1.

BOTTOM LINE:

FACT: PvP here has no gear progression - proven by definition

YOUR ARGUMENT: P2W is bad because it ****s with progression

MY ARGUMENT: G2W ****s with progression

CONCLUSION USING YOUR OWN ARGUMENT: G2W is bad because it ****s with progression

For a game to be a clean contest and have the integrity to keep people engaged, it must not be possible to simply buy your way to victory, because then it's just a contest to see who can spend the most rather than who's best at the game.

God-awful analogy! It's one thing to learn to play, it's a totally different game gearing up. Unless, you're telling me that gearing up = skilling up. And since chess measures skill, and we're drawing parallels, logic suggests that you're telling me that since chess measures skill that: PvP measures gear. And by the defintion I was told player vs player measures SKILL, not gear. Your point has been invalidated!

Two wrongs does not make a right.

I'm not saying that either one is good, in fact I'm declaiming both of them. I'm saying that if you support (see bolded below). Also I just now edited in my personal view on the subject in the very last line. :) P.S. just read the whole thread, sorry it took so long, lots of homework (ZOMG A KID) and one hundred posts to read sucks D:

Would the Olympic swimming team let a millionare join them who doesn't even know how to swim and hasn't had the time and effort to learn the tricks of the trade?

Nope. But swimming measures "the tricks of the trade". It's illogical for me to whine that the other team is more skilled. It's most certainly logical, however, for me to whine about them being more geared. PvP does, after all, measure SKILL, not GEAR. I CANNOT stress this enough! GEAR should be a constant, OR SKILL should be a constant, but you do not have TWO input variables!

BORED SO JUST WANTED TO SAY THAT

Is that the game, where knights can force leap? Bishops use force speed? Kings stealth and rooks take cover and turn into miniature turrets?

https://d37wxxhohlp07s.cloudfront.net/s3_images/791401/1912-so-much-win_inline.jpg?1347586633

Back to invalidation ._.

P2W is a horrible aspect that screws up all sense of gear progression and allows an injustified advantage over other players, damaging any "fun" aspect or a sense of accomplishment.

G2W is a horrible aspect that screws up all sense of skill and allows an unjustified* advantage over other players, damaging any "fun" aspect or sense of accomplishment. You see, my statement makes sense. A non-skill thingy screws with skill and makes the game unfun. We all should know that pvp measures skill by now (Like 3 rants on the damned subject!). What you say is that a non-gear thingy screws with gear and makes the game unfun. by this logic, then, pvp is about gear, and not skill. Proof by contradiction, definition of PvP is skill.

Because it creates inequality between those who have money and those who don't.

I know that, but why are inequalities bad? There's inequality right now. INB4 "They can grind gear". GUESS WHAT. YOU CAN GRIND MONEY. Since you think P2W is bad you must also think G2W is bad and therefore, I hope you stayed home this election because the U.S. will surely get ****ed up with illogical people voting.

Tell me why a person who doesn't have time to play the game would want to play the most competitive aspect of PvP with those who put hundreds if not THOUSANDS of hours of dedicated, hard work and practice into the game?

Because my knowledge of my class and that fact that I'm probably better than 50% of the people that play SWTOR dictates my victory. I fail to see how a statistical advantage merits epeen, unless, of course, PvP is all about gear n stuff. Gear and dedication. Which it most certainly is NOT! I

REBUTTAL: BUT IT TAKES TIME TO GET SKILL!

Yeah, not really. Very little skill in this game, hate to break to ya bud, and it does not take 4 months or whatever which is what it takes from lv 1 to full aug'd WH to master your class...

There is a degree of equality when it comes to the "grind" as eventually, everyone will get on equal par.

So what you're saying is that time accumulates itself up so that by the end of the year, you'd have played the same number of hours that hardcores can get in two months. First, you can "grind" up your money. Secondly, your financial savings will add up over a year to what others may get in two months. and by then everyone will get on equal par.

Time doesn't equal money

This goes against so many false proof equations of math that put in time = money.

Sense: This thread makes none.

Sense: Your post makes none.

Sense: My thread invented it.

I did it twice! I grinded moar! I WIN!

poeple that want p2w usualy are just terrible at the game and NEED an advantage..

Or I'd like to be rewarded for my skill and would actually like to survive that 2v1 onslaught instead of marginally losing the battle and then consequently the match. Just a thought, though.

People seem to think if they have a "good" reason for not playing a game, they "deserve" everything the game has to offer. Just doesn't work that way.

Feel free to correct my paraphrasing of your post, since I did not entirely understand it, but I think what you're trying to say here is that Mr. I have a Life thinks he deserves something from the game? Well, does Mr. I have no Life deserve something from the game? Cause, he does have more, you know, the gear...

REBUTTAL: YEAH! HE GRINDED FOR IT!

Yep, so he did. But is grind the point of PvP? Or is it competition? Grinding =/= entitlement for a game's reward, UNLESS the game's objective is to grind, which is preposterous, as this is (for the fifth? time) PLAYER vs PLAYER

if they can buy an easier gear grind what would be the incentive to sub.

Well, this post only has valid meaning if the reason one plays is to grind. which is, to see above, preposterous. So let me get this straight: You grind to get gear, and after you have BiS, you just quit? It's not even fun? You just put in all this time and then bam quit when you get BiS? It's not even fun? I'm not the irrational one 'round here...

layers would be forced to buy such an item to compete at the highest level and could not acquire the item through normal PvP grinding.

Uhh oh you caught me with my pants down. I didn't realize this, but I seriously doubt biofail would do this. You deserve half my cartel coins! :o

Find the argument you stick with, and then see how you're irrationally thinking if you support both P2W and the gear grind!

If you cannot find your reasons, then post them so I may invalidate them!

For the record, I am against both the gear grind and P2W.

Edited by Zunayson

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Real simple, it's a matter of integrity.

If the company begins it's P2W route, first it will be even terms. Money or Time for gear. Sound nice right?

Then it get's to be Money or More Time.

Pretty soon the only way to get gear is Money, or spending an outrageous amount of time. (You think this gear grind bad, go play Perfect World).

Now what the company is suppose to be providing is a game to waste time in, but instead they are gobbling up your money and whoring themselves out to the highest bidder. Trust me, as someone who spent over 2,000 in two years on one game... you -do not- want pay to win.

More importantly, if you think paying for your gear vs. putting time in playing the game for it is some how an equal term... <.< well you probably don't love games.

No, I love games, I just don't love work. The only equality I'm drawing for P2W and G2W is around the reasons that people don't like P2W. If x (your reasoning) then P2W is bad, well... x also implies that G2W is bad. Logically, then, G2W must be bad....

The only integrity on the subject is that people accept grinding because they're used to it in the genre.

WHY?

It's also not supposed to measure the number of empty spaces on your calender... which is what allows you to get the gear and therefore win....

REBUTTAL: GEAR DOESN'T NECESSARILY CAUSE AN AUTOMATIC WIN; SKILL IS INVOLVED! THE GEAR GRIND IS JUSTIFIED!

Then so is P2W, since "gear doesn't necessarily cause an automatic win", then any advantage obtained unskillfully via money is analogous to any advantage obtained unskillfully via time sink.... Thus, since I most likely must spell this out for you, if an advantage via time sink is justified, an advantage via micro-transaction must be as well.

Not only is this off-topic, but the grind right now has a huge gap and also "doesn't encourage new players to play". In other words, your point is invalid!

Find the argument you stick with, and then see how you're irrationally thinking if you support both P2W and the gear grind!

Here's why P2W is bad. If you can buy the best gear with money, then every time a new set of gear comes out, people with tons of money will be able to buy the whole set instantly right off the bat. This will give said players a massive advantage in RWZs. This means any serious pvp guild will be forced to buy the best gear right when it comes out (instead of grinding the gear slowly), in order to be competitive. When you force people to spend money in order to be competitive, that is a problem. Personally, I have integrity issues with P2W, and so do a lot of people. If SWTOR went P2W, I and many other people will stop playing and that's not good for the game in the long term.

Gear grinding has nothing to do with P2W because everyone has to put in the same amount of effort/time in order to acquire the gear. With P2W however, some people might have rich parents who give them plenty of cash, while other kids might not be so lucky. Some people might make minimum wage, while others might make $100+/hour. This is why it's unfair to have P2W. Time on the other hand is the great equalizer. Everyone has the same amount. No more, no less.

Edited by Smashbrother

No, I love games, I just don't love work. The only equality I'm drawing for P2W and G2W is around the reasons that people don't like P2W. If x (your reasoning) then P2W is bad, well... x also implies that G2W is bad. Logically, then, G2W must be bad....

The only integrity on the subject is that people accept grinding because they're used to it in the genre.

<.< You... didn't even understand what I said.

Okay... so the purpose of a game is to play it right? Whatever it's rules are, you play a game to beat it's challenges, get it's rewards, etc...

P2W means you aren't playing the game to beat it's challenges and get it's rewards, you're paying to skip it's challenges and get it's rewards.

Further more, if you find the tasks you have to do while you play "Work" then you are simply playing the wrong game.

Gear grinding has nothing to do with P2W because everyone has to put in the same amount of effort/time in order to acquire the gear. With P2W however, some people might have rich parents who give them plenty of cash, while other kids might not be so lucky. Some people might make minimum wage, while others might make $100+/hour. This is why it's unfair to have P2W. Time on the other hand is the great equalizer. Everyone has the same amount. No more, no less.

Ya... he's gonna try and pull some "Not everyone has the same amount of time."

Funny thing is, there are 24 hours in a day for everyone, it just depends on how you use them.

Everyone has the same amount of time huh? So the guy with a full time job has the same amount of time available as the unemployed people that can play all day?

Edited by Darth-Rammstein

you can not possibly be asking for p2w specially for pvp....

you are the ultimate example of a scrub that should re-roll another game.

Not all of us have rich wallets/credit cards...btu everyone HAS TIME...the SAME time actualy..its jsut a matter of how you use it..and if you cant use it as often as some players..well too bad...you will get THERE...LATER...but all of us wont get RICHER any time SOON...catch my drift?now crawl back to your cave

edit:also this wouldnt happent...because its know now to FAIL and KILL games even faster...people SPEND money on chosmetic items..you will see how happy BW will eb with cartel stuff..they know there is no need for p2w...and that the HUGE majority of the playeerbase worldwide is agaisnt it..

Edited by filipesantana

WHY?

Let me think...

Still thinking....

Wait for it....

NO.

Invalidate this reason:

P2W completely screws up gear progression, takes away all the satisfaction from getting new pieces, would make server firsts completely meaningless and there would be no reason whatsoever to raid or do warzones.

You do endgame content TO acquire new peices of gear. If you're fully min/maxed from day one than the operation/warzone will be trivially easy and won't be any incentive to do it again.

I'm not a huge supporter of the current split gear grind (I want both PvE and PvP to award the exact same type of gear) but I'm a staunch supporter of the idea that nothing should should be gained if you don't do anything.

Edited by CommanderKeeva

Not all of us have rich wallets/credit cards...btu everyone HAS TIME...the SAME time actualy..its jsut a matter of how you use it..and if you cant use it as often as some players..well too bad...you will get THERE...LATER...but all of us wont get RICHER any time SOON...catch my drift?now crawl back to your cave

Uhm ?!?!

Well a day has 24 h for everybody, right. But the question is how much time do you have available for playing. As a student I had 12h+ now I have 2h at maximum. But now I have money to compensate. That's fair, so let me buy the stuff. Btw, I did enough skill and gear grinding to last for three lifetimes.

OR

Kill gear progression for pvp. Stupid idea anyways. Softcore kiddies playstyle, bah. In the old times 14/18 I ...

Uhm ?!?!

Well a day has 24 h for everybody, right. But the question is how much time do you have available for playing. As a student I had 12h+ now I have 2h at maximum. But now I have money to compensate. That's fair, so let me buy the stuff. Btw, I did enough skill and gear grinding to last for three lifetimes.

OR

Kill gear progression for pvp. Stupid idea anyways. Softcore kiddies playstyle, bah. In the old times 14/18 I ...

ok i wont even reply because this topic is behond retarded..there is no doubt p2w wont ever..EVER make into another mmo because companies learn that p2w gives money at the start but then kills the game because:

people pay and get geared way to fast..then get bored and leave

or

people refuse to pay and see those who do it getting better gear.

Chosmetics ONLY tough thrive is a mmo market, people actualy pay to be "different" without any advantage other then looks..and that WONT kill the game...giving them more money in the long run.

MMOS survive due to the grind...it was allways like this it will allways be like this..designers try to find way s to hook people and make them have objectives to keep playing...hooked...often.

MMOS survive due to the grind...it was allways like this it will allways be like this..designers try to find way s to hook people and make them have objectives to keep playing...hooked...often.

No.

Grind never motivated me. There are other motivations. Like being at the top of the bounty board, ranks/titles, player recognition, content, events world pvp et cetera.

Your perception = diablo/wow-generation.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,

Than are dreamt of in your philosophy." ^^

Let me think...

Still thinking....

Wait for it....

NO.

Invalidate this reason:

So you need to feel better about yourself by accomplishing things that even a retard could if he had the time. Sorry grinding isnt skill and you shouldnt feel better

I will only agree with 1 reason i show about why p2w is bad, it is the fact that bioware might intentionally slow the time we need to get gear making it require insane amount of time to get unless you buy it. That isnt really healthy since most people will simply ragequit if they see it takes years.

But on the other hand i find getting gear through money not really a big deal, why? Simply because better geared players wll always exist, its either the one that payed money or the one who spend days playing. It wont give them a real unfair advantage(well unless if it takes years to grind the gear without money).

THE REAL issue here is things that will clearly hurt f2p players like the limited quickbar slots, NOW THAT IS PAY TO WIN, beceuse if you have too few quickslots you cant put all your skills on and your effectiveness is hindered.

So lets look on real p2w elements who directly hurt f2p players abillity to win and not "silly time achievements" like gear

time = money

grind = p2w

one can 'grind' money and spend it virtually, other can 'grind' items.

edit: p2w is to get BETTER gear for money then you can get for free (well, free = grind, so since time = money, nothing is free)

in instance where you get same gear for money, it's rather 'pay to not grind'.

Edited by Atramar

Pay to win is not getting the same gear that you can get by just playing, pay 2 win is getting better gear than what you can get by just playing.

Here's why gear grind is bad. If you can get the best gear by grinding for a really long time, then every time a new set of gear comes out, people with tons of time will be able to grind the whole set instantly right off the bat. This will give said players a massive advantage everywhere.

I agree 100%. :trollface:

You do endgame content TO acquire new peices of gear.

You're lost again, this is the PVP forum. There is no endgame content here.

Edited by Rassuro

So you need to feel better about yourself by accomplishing things that even a retard could if he had the time.

No effort invested, no reward given.

And can you not see the runaway effect?

Player A buys his gear instead of going through the sweat and toil player B has. That puts Player B at a disadvantage, so he will also have to buy his gear if he wants to have even odds against player A. Then Player C and D will be at a disadvantage and will need to buy gear if they want to keep competing against Players A and B. And so forth, and so forth....

In PvP all big PvP guild would immeditely buy the best gear to tip the scales in their favor. Then smaller PvP guilds would have to compensate by also buying gear because otherwise they would be at too big a disadvantage. Then competitive solo players would have to buy it too because otherwise, well, they won't be competitive. The vast majority of casual players (what's left of them anyway) would leave because this would mean they could never ever win a match again. Some of those who bought the best gear would also leave because there is nothing left for them to play for.

P2W would effectively cut the playerbase in half. Some would pay but most would leave. Then more server mergers would follow as disgruntled people, who actually played the game to be successful, leave and this would gain momentum as more and more people stop playing because his/her friends and guild members have already moved on. Then a point would come, where so few players play the game that the revenue they generate woud not cover the cost maintaining the game/paying the staff/developing new content. This would significantly drive up prices in the cash shop as they try to compensate for the lost revenue. The more people leave, the more expensive the items become. The more expensive they become, less and less people buy them.

At some point most of the P2W players would leave, too, because they wouldn't be able to pay for anything new and EA wouldn't not have the money to develop anything new anyway.

Total shutdown would follow shortly.

P2W is a death blow to any MMO game and there is a very valid reason why none of largest MMO games are P2W.

Edited by CommanderKeeva

No effort invested, no reward given.

And can you not see the runaway effect?

Player A buys his gear instead of going through the sweat and toil player B has. That puts Player B at a disadvantage, so he will also have to buy his gear if he wants to have even odds against player A. Then Player C and D will be at a disadvantage and will need to buy gear if they want to keep competing against Players A and B. And so forth, and so forth....

P2W.

Player A has a full time job, family, and responsibilities, that puts him on disadvantage if he want's to compete with player B.

You're lost again, this is the PVP forum. There is no endgame content here.

Correct me if I'm wrong but "endgame content" means "content played when you reach the maximum level cap". By any definition the 50 PvP bracket is "endgame" in any and all sense of the word. It has an ever progressing gear grind, just like PvE, hence 50 warzones are "Endgame PVP Content". Le gasp.

Edited by CommanderKeeva

The essence of any competitive game is you pit yourself against the opponent on equal terms, within the game, to see who is better.

If you play someone at chess, do you regard the fact that they have practiced and played more as unfair? Perhaps you demand that you should be able to buy six more queens if you want, as your time is too valuable to waste learning how to play.

For a game to be a clean contest and have the integrity to keep people engaged, it must not be possible to simply buy your way to victory, because then it's just a contest to see who can spend the most rather than who's best at the game.

For the record, I'm married and have a full-time job; and also two toons in full aug-WH. It's not that hard to gear up. I'll pay to play (I subscribe after all), but I would quit the moment a game went pay to win; because I want to play a game, not get into a wallet-waving contest.

Here's my argument against P2W, please rebuke it...

Gear based progression sucks, it is there to keep people paying the sub, artificially prolonging the content of the game.

P2W is equally bad for the game.

Yes we have gear progression, I don't support it and I don't like it.

P2W would be implementing ANOTHER bad solution.

Player A has a full time job, family, and responsibilities, that puts him on disadvantage if he want's to compete with player B.

So, he's a casual player with not much play time on his hand but wants to go against the best without going through the stages said people have to actually become the best?

Sorry, I just don't see the logic behind it. Would the Olympic swimming team let a millionare join them who doesn't even know how to swim and hasn't had the time and effort to learn the tricks of the trade? Could a millionaire nominate himself for the Academy Award if he hasn't invested time and effort into becoming a renowned actor? Could you demand the Noble Prize, just because you have money but your life was unfortunately so busy that you didn't have time and energy to invent something famous? Absurd, right? Well, you can't demand the best gear wihout putting any effort into obtaining them, either.

There are things in real life that you can only gain through effort, not money, because it would cheapen their value. There similare things in a virtual game.

Having said that, I have always been pushing for proper match making and a casual PvP bracket at Recruit level.

If we had one, your middle-aged, dedicated, bank clerk father of 2 children could compete against similar players while not feeling hindered by his gear. Another bracket at 50 and proper matchmaking are the reasonable solutions, not going P2W,

Edited by CommanderKeeva

Real simple, it's a matter of integrity.

If the company begins it's P2W route, first it will be even terms. Money or Time for gear. Sound nice right?

Then it get's to be Money or More Time.

Pretty soon the only way to get gear is Money, or spending an outrageous amount of time. (You think this gear grind bad, go play Perfect World).

Now what the company is suppose to be providing is a game to waste time in, but instead they are gobbling up your money and whoring themselves out to the highest bidder. Trust me, as someone who spent over 2,000 in two years on one game... you -do not- want pay to win.

More importantly, if you think paying for your gear vs. putting time in playing the game for it is some how an equal term... <.< well you probably don't love games.

Ive played since day one. i have several 50s ive done the valor 70+ grind and the valor +60 several times also... im going to pay to win on re-rolled characters. working longer hours playing less. so paying to "win" will be an option for me. if you have the time invest the time. if you have the money invest the money.

P2W is wonderful. It warmeth my cockles.

I think it's insane to pay rent to live in a virtual world and neglect reality, but it's even more insane to pay for cosmetic goods that are only of questionable use in that world. I have a hard enough time rationalizing the former; there's no way I would do the latter.

However, since I've already done the former, I like the idea of people dumber than me spending real money on useless virtual things so I don't lose my investment in my pastime. Good PvP teams will always smear bad P2W teams, and no-one cares what bad players do as long as they keep injecting money into SWTOR.

If you P2W in PvE, then LOL@U--you probably had a Tamogotchi as a kid and your loserdom is almost complete (but please keep paying, thx).

~Sig

Edited by Eggsalicious

Ive played since day one. i have several 50s ive done the valor 70+ grind and the valor +60 several times also... im going to pay to win on re-rolled characters. working longer hours playing less. so paying to "win" will be an option for me. if you have the time invest the time. if you have the money invest the money.

So by the merits of your arguments..

If I have the knowhow to cheat I should be allowed to.

(BTW if you have money to spare, I'm sure you could hire someone to do the grinding for you, right?)

Edited by DaedalusV