Getting forced into Romance: Sorta spoiler

Cartumandua

So in all the same sex attraction threads, people talk about being 'forced'

Well, I just had that happen to my male Jedi Counselor with Nadia Grell.

I have NEVER flirted with her. I have always tried to be polite and mentor like, and I ended up in a dialogue last night where "Get off me woman!" wasn't an option. Every option led her on, and we ended up kissing. It felt a little date-rapey.

What's up with that?

I'm happy for her to do my diplomacy missions, but young girls with bug antennae tattoos do NOT do it for me...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have NEVER flirted with her. I have always tried to be polite and mentor like, and I ended up in a dialogue last night where "Get off me woman!" wasn't an option. Every option led her on, and we ended up kissing. It felt a little date-rapey.

What's up with that?

I'm happy for her to do my diplomacy missions, but young girls with bug antennae tattoos do NOT do it for me...

Spoilers for the romance arc below :)

You should have done / will do a dialogue series in which she states "You're more to me than just my Master. You do know that, don't you?", there's an option to tell her something like "Those thoughts aren't appropriate.", which stops the romance. Well, I assume so but there's no telling what your char. actually says :p It does give minus affection though.

If you've gone past that stage, keep going with it until you get the marriage option, then pick Option #1 (Marry Me.) followed by Option #3 (I meant nothing by it.) - i'm guessing this would end the romance too? You're basically leading her on and then telling her "loljk i don't like you." after all. Unless, again, the char says something completely different.

Edited by Space_Chicken

What's up with that?

You might have just stumbled on a bug.

I had something similar happen with my (female) Consular. I had had normal conversations with Tharan, completely avoiding any flirtatious remarks, and then suddenly he wants to end our "liaison" as if we'd been in a romance. I went out of my way to avoid anything like that, so it came as a huge surprise. I sat there blinking at the screen for a good five minutes spluttering about it to my partner, before putting in a ticket. It has to have been a bug, as far as I'm concerned. The GM was pretty unhelpful, I have to say. Now I can't talk to Tharan without getting that conversation, which I shouldn't be having anyway.

I really don't think this was intended.

Spoilers for the romance arc below :)

You should have done / will do a dialogue series in which she states "You're more to me than just my Master. You do know that, don't you?", there's an option to tell her something like "Those thoughts aren't appropriate.", which stops the romance. Well, I assume so but there's no telling what your char. actually says :p It does give minus affection though.

If you've gone past that stage, keep going with it until you get the marriage option, then pick Option #1 (Marry Me.) followed by Option #3 (I meant nothing by it.) - i'm guessing this would end the romance too? You're basically leading her on and then telling her "loljk i don't like you." after all. Unless, again, the char says something completely different.

Looking at the dialogue file rip, those lines translate to:

This isn't appropriate.- "You're very kind, Nadia, but--we can't do this. I'm sorry."

Her response- "No, no, I understand. I do. Friends, then? Or Padawan and Master--whatever works best."

I meant nothing by it.- "Poor choice of words. I apologize."

Her response- "You really, really need to think before you speak."

First one looks like it should break the romance, I don't think the second one does.

Edited by Ranadiel_Marius

That is annoying. In a normal quest if the clickable dialogue doesn't really match what comes out of your mouth, you can shrug and move on, but being polite without telling her to Sod off means you end up sexually involved?

There is a reason that some responses have a [Flirt] option, and they ought to use that for all dialogue that leads to sexual involvement.

• 11 months later...

My female BH had the same thing with Torian. Admittedly, she did a few flirt lines. Like one in the beginning, two calling him arm candy (it didnt say it was a flirt option, but I'll look at it as one), and then a third that I had the options of (at least appeared to be) "No desire to learn Mandolorian" "No desire to learn Mandolorian" "Yes I want to learn Mandolorian alone with you. *Flirt*"

the rest played out as "we're in a relationship now!" but luckily I got the option to turn him down on the marriage, and decided to just call him a fling my BH had while she keeps her true feelings hidden away, as she's to afraid to speak up!

What? I'm running with that they gave me to work with :p

Once you have tripped the romance line - and I think Nadia and, I've heard, Jorgan have stealth non-[Flirt] triggers - you cannot leave. There's an old petition to let us, you know, break up with our companion characters and maybe not be bombarded with kisses, propositions, proposals and so on forever more, but as the game stands, once you've started one of the full romances (i.e. not Tharan or Pierce) you don't get to stop.

I had something similar happen with my (female) Consular. I had had normal conversations with Tharan, completely avoiding any flirtatious remarks, and then suddenly he wants to end our "liaison" as if we'd been in a romance.

In Tharan's case, that conversation opener is, I believe, a bug. Fortunately once he's finished his hilarious explanation of why "it has to end," he doesn't bring it up again, regardless of whether you encourage him or don't. He isn't a full romance, just an optional one-night stand with, it seems, a non-optional followup mention.

With Tharan? Well, he's rather full of himself and the unknowing comic relief character of the Consular storyline, so the whole thing was probably in his head anyway (at least, that's how I read it).

As for Nadia? Yeah, keep your replies focused on the Jedi code and the pure LS options and it'll put her in the friend zone.

The Jedi Consular is just too sexy and awesome for their own good. Companions can't resist them (Qyzen loves you, Jedi Consular, and you know it).

I have always tried to be polite and mentor like, and I ended up in a dialogue last night where "Get off me woman!" wasn't an option.

That should literally be an option.

I can see the scene in my head now and it's hilarious.

Yeah, apparently there are a couple places where "being polite" is code for "take me you stud/ette." Blech, ewww, and what the hell. There are also occasions (Corso) where a kinda vague "not right now" means "I will never love you! Never! Never! Never!"

Man, I hope they fix this stuff.

Yeah, apparently there are a couple places where "being polite" is code for "take me you stud/ette." Blech, ewww, and what the hell. There are also occasions (Corso) where a kinda vague "not right now" means "I will never love you! Never! Never! Never!"

Man, I hope they fix this stuff.

Ok, now I know why people are so afraid of the same-gender options if bugs like these exist. So many levels of uncomfortableness and trigger-y-ness.

I had something similar happen with my (female) Consular. I had had normal conversations with Tharan, completely avoiding any flirtatious remarks, and then suddenly he wants to end our "liaison" as if we'd been in a romance. I went out of my way to avoid anything like that, so it came as a huge surprise. I sat there blinking at the screen for a good five minutes spluttering about it to my partner, before putting in a ticket. It has to have been a bug, as far as I'm concerned. The GM was pretty unhelpful, I have to say. Now I can't talk to Tharan without getting that conversation, which I shouldn't be having anyway.

I really don't think this was intended.

I found the same thing, and decided to just play along on the basis that, while Theran is clearly crazy as I never had any form of liason with him, he does know how to blow up my hyperdrive.

Ok, now I know why people are so afraid of the same-gender options if bugs like these exist. So many levels of uncomfortableness and trigger-y-ness.

That's probably one of the reasons for the fear of same-gender options. These bugs just create some truely awful situations. I love Jorgan, but apparently there is a hidden flirt that can start that romance, and there's at least one conversation where there's no option out of a ftb. Besides the shudder-worthy awfulness of that, it completely breaks the story as well - Jorgan is entirely a 'stop when you say' guy. So it's bad bad on both a personal and a storytelling level.

That's probably one of the reasons for the fear of same-gender options. These bugs just create some truely awful situations. I love Jorgan, but apparently there is a hidden flirt that can start that romance, and there's at least one conversation where there's no option out of a ftb. Besides the shudder-worthy awfulness of that, it completely breaks the story as well - Jorgan is entirely a 'stop when you say' guy. So it's bad bad on both a personal and a storytelling level.

That's a bug I really hope they fix :/

Has this ever been addressed before?

(Also, "force me gay, oh noes!" is still a bit silly, but when your character is forced into a very unwilling fade-to-black for all persons involved situation anyway? Eurgh.)

Edited by Tatile

That's a bug I really hope they fix :/

Has this ever been addressed before?

A thread was posted last April specifically dealing with Jorgan:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=4191664&postcount=22

Official BW response? It is a bug if you got into a romance without hitting [Flirt], but the total inability to exit a romance once it has started or even avoid a ftb is "working as intended."

I haven't heard updates since then, but I also haven't been comprehensively tracking BW activity, so if anybody else knows anything, go ahead and chime in.

(Incidentally, Elara Dorne also has a scene where you cannot avoid a ftb, but I believe you do have to actually hit [Flirt] to start her romance line. Hey, consent pre-kiss means consent alll the way, right?)

Edited by bright_ephemera

Official BW response? It is a bug if you got into a romance without hitting [Flirt], but the total inability to exit a romance once it has started or even avoid a ftb is "working as intended."

(Incidentally, Elara Dorne also has a scene where you cannot avoid a ftb, but I believe you do have to actually hit [Flirt] to start her romance line. Hey, consent pre-kiss means consent alll the way, right?)

This does just get worse and worse. I think I may hold off from rolling a Trooper any time soon - don't want to get stuck in the unwilling fade-to-black for all persons involved situation.

Edited by Tatile

This does just get worse and worse. I think I may hold off from rolling a Trooper any time soon - don't want to get stuck in the date-rape situation.

o.O I don't think it plays out like that in the story, even if you the player may feel that way because you didn't mean to go that route, and it seems like an aweful thing to compare it to. Let's compare a game storyline that doesn't know what a players real reaction is to poor choices on a dialogue wheel tooo...YEAH THAT! :/

Had a scene like that with Torian as well, where all three options led to it I believe, but I guess it's my fault for wanting my BH to be taught how to speak mandolorian :p

Once you have tripped the romance line - and I think Nadia and, I've heard, Jorgan have stealth non-[Flirt] triggers - you cannot leave. There's an old petition to let us, you know, break up with our companion characters and maybe not be bombarded with kisses, propositions, proposals and so on forever more, but as the game stands, once you've started one of the full romances (i.e. not Tharan or Pierce) you don't get to stop.

You can end Iresso's romance mid way.

In one of his missions, you discuss how the Jedi Council will look at a Jedi Master being in a relationship. Iresso will man up and give you the option to end the relationship at that point.

o.O I don't think it plays out like that in the story, even if you the player may feel that way because you didn't mean to go that route, and it seems like an aweful thing to compare it to. Let's compare a game storyline that doesn't know what a players real reaction is to poor choices on a dialogue wheel tooo...YEAH THAT! :/

Sorry, I'll change it "unwilling fade-to-black for all persons involved".

Considering that Makeb is likely to be like Balmorra

(Darth Lachris)

you'll probably have an out up to the FTB.

Had a scene like that with Torian as well, where all three options led to it I believe, but I guess it's my fault for wanting my BH to be taught how to speak mandolorian :p

It's not an unreasonable comparison. And the fact of the matter is that it's a subject that deserves to be treated seriously. There are many people who would be extremely upset at such a situation because of personal experiences.