Your experience with F2P players?

BennettWHU

The F2P Player

I am starting this thread to see what experiences other people have had with the F2P player as I've had nothing but trouble from them. A lot of people on my server will only let subscribers join their Guilds, only group with subscribers and generally ignore anything a F2P player says or asks. This might seem a little unfair, but I'll explain MY reasons for not liking the general F2P player.

Instances

The first time I went into an instance with someone who was F2P was when I began levelling my Sith Juggernaut. The instance was Black Talon and everything was going fine until loot started to drop. A piece of armour dropped and I rolled 'greed' and he rolled a 'need'. I forget now, but the armour was definitely not for his class. After asking him "Are you new?" and "Are you F2P?" he answered yes to both of my questions. Without getting angry, I explained the 'need' over 'greed' system and he apologized and said it wouldn't happen again until he saw something he could use. A few minutes pass and it happens again and again and again. Each time he would 'need' an item I'd ask him "Why?" and he would not reply. Finally having enough, I left the group and found him talking in general chat about 5 minutes later stating I was a ninja looter and I'd took all the loot!

Now, one bad experience doesn't mean every F2P player is like that, right? Well, in my case, yes. Since that instance, every F2P player I've grouped with has done this and either ignored the groups questions or stated he is F2P and can't trade the item back. These experiences have caused me to NEVER group with a F2P player at all now and it is a shame because I imagine not every F2P player uses their lack of abilities to ninja everything.

Cartel Coins & F2P Player Rights

This happened on board the fleet and I was quite shocked to see this said, but a F2P player was complaining about his right to Cartel Coins and saying that they have just as much entitlement to 500 Cartel Coins a month as subscribers do. His excuse was that if it wasn't for the F2P player, the game would be long dead because "the F2P player buys more Cartel Coins than any subscriber in SWTOR as they use them more often". Before this had happened, I had offered to buy stuff from the Cartel Market for people who would then buy it from me with credits. This guy had asked me for a credit escrow of 600k and told me 50k was an adequate price for it and that I should accept his offer. I told him "No" quite simply and said to get some Cartel Coins and buy it himself. Then the general chat rant began.

Conclusion

These are just two of my experiences with the F2P player, but I'd like to know yours. Have you had nothing but good times with the F2P player or nothing but terrible times? This thread is not a thread to post hate about my post or anyone else's. This is for you to share you experiences.

His excuse was that if it wasn't for the F2P player, the game would be long dead because "the F2P player buys more Cartel Coins than any subscriber in SWTOR as they use them more often".

Bioware has already said that subscribers buy more CCs than F2P do. So yeah the person is wrong. F2P didn't "save" the game. Subscribers did.

It could be argued that prices for unlocks that F2P use could be lower on the GTN. Seen a lot of listings since F2P was introduced that did not seem to take into account the credit restrictions on F2P accounts. Just my experience of course.

Edited by CKHelseth

]Bioware has already said that subscribers buy more CCs than F2P do. So yeah the person is wrong. F2P didn't "save" the game. Subscribers did. [/b]

It could be argued that prices for unlocks that F2P use could be lower on the GTN. Seen a lot of listings since F2P was introduced that did not seem to take into account the credit restrictions on F2P accounts. Just my experience of course.

Yup, hit the nail on the head. We subsidize 90% of the free to play players who play the game without spending a penny. Subs have always been the core of this game band its subs paying most the cash in the coins shop..... and Bioware know it.

My experience of FTP is that too much content is put into the market and not enough into the base game and as a sub (who has spent quite a lot on buying additional coins, im not against the existence of the market) this annoys me. Im very much in the camp that believes BW do not do enough to rewards subscribers.

Edited by bannsider

The F2P Player

I am starting this thread to see what experiences other people have had with the F2P player as I've had nothing but trouble from them. A lot of people on my server will only let subscribers join their Guilds, only group with subscribers and generally ignore anything a F2P player says or asks. This might seem a little unfair, but I'll explain MY reasons for not liking the general F2P player.

Instances

The first time I went into an instance with someone who was F2P was when I began levelling my Sith Juggernaut. The instance was Black Talon and everything was going fine until loot started to drop. A piece of armour dropped and I rolled 'greed' and he rolled a 'need'. I forget now, but the armour was definitely not for his class. After asking him "Are you new?" and "Are you F2P?" he answered yes to both of my questions. Without getting angry, I explained the 'need' over 'greed' system and he apologized and said it wouldn't happen again until he saw something he could use. A few minutes pass and it happens again and again and again. Each time he would 'need' an item I'd ask him "Why?" and he would not reply. Finally having enough, I left the group and found him talking in general chat about 5 minutes later stating I was a ninja looter and I'd took all the loot!

Now, one bad experience doesn't mean every F2P player is like that, right? Well, in my case, yes. Since that instance, every F2P player I've grouped with has done this and either ignored the groups questions or stated he is F2P and can't trade the item back. These experiences have caused me to NEVER group with a F2P player at all now and it is a shame because I imagine not every F2P player uses their lack of abilities to ninja everything.

Cartel Coins & F2P Player Rights

This happened on board the fleet and I was quite shocked to see this said, but a F2P player was complaining about his right to Cartel Coins and saying that they have just as much entitlement to 500 Cartel Coins a month as subscribers do. His excuse was that if it wasn't for the F2P player, the game would be long dead because "the F2P player buys more Cartel Coins than any subscriber in SWTOR as they use them more often". Before this had happened, I had offered to buy stuff from the Cartel Market for people who would then buy it from me with credits. This guy had asked me for a credit escrow of 600k and told me 50k was an adequate price for it and that I should accept his offer. I told him "No" quite simply and said to get some Cartel Coins and buy it himself. Then the general chat rant began.

Conclusion

These are just two of my experiences with the F2P player, but I'd like to know yours. Have you had nothing but good times with the F2P player or nothing but terrible times? This thread is not a thread to post hate about my post or anyone else's. This is for you to share you experiences.

With all due respect man I find your post to be somewhat in bad taste. I know your'e posting about your own experiences with F2P but it is only negative experiences and tend to believe that there must have been at least one positive instance with a free player. If you wish you foster a discussion about experiences then wouldn't it be better to have a least some positive mention instead of just negativity.

Anyway to the post itself I have had pretty decent experiences with free players. In our guild we accept all players sub preferred or free it really does not matter. If they require unlocks we provide them in our guildbank, if however they want to do ops we request a unlock before hand if not then we do not allow free players into ops. Basically we are there to help them but if there is issues we deal with it.

Personally when I speak to F2P players they usually are quite decent, they accept the fact they are restricted and to me they are quite respectful. If they buy unlocks and join FP's i happen to be part of they are just regular players to me. Overall i do not have a problem with them and my average interaction is quite alright.

Edited by theUndead

I've had no problems with F2P people. In fact, I don't even ask. Yes you get the odd person who is new to this game, or MMO's in general, but who cares. Everyone has a first day.

By all means, you sound like you've had shockingly bad luck with some players (I assume you ask each and every person if they are free to play, or this thread would be baseless!) But my personal experience does not mirror that.

As for your server not grouping with F2P or accepting them into guilds, that's nasty

Bioware has already said that subscribers buy more CCs than F2P do.

This is rather pointless. Due to heavy restrictions, what F2P customer would buy CC instead of a subscription? ... y-up.

Most F2P players I've encountered are too scared to admit they are F2P for fear of being being singled out as lowlife leeches. And any of the FP F2P loot troublemakers usually ended up being subscribers just out to get a rise from the group.

First of all, I played for 5 months as a F2P. Now i am a subscriber. If i wouldn't have the choice to test the game i wasn't here.

I commited that mistake until i was explained how it works rewarding or looting in a group. Since then, i am the player who pass 95% of the times.

You are wrong with your subdivision (F2P / subscribers). The player subdisvision is, as always and everywhere, good or bad players.

Respect for the F2P, ignore list for the bad players..

You are wrong with your subdivision (F2P / subscribers). The player subdisvision is, as always and everywhere, good or bad.

Bingo!!!

In fact some of the worse cases of needing on a non spec item are done by subscribers who want the loot for another alt or companion of a alt .....

Attitude wise it's like real life there are nice people and not so nice people.

Bioware has already said that subscribers buy more CCs than F2P do. So yeah the person is wrong. F2P didn't "save" the game. Subscribers did.

It should have. A functional F2P model recognizes that a certain segment of players do not want to commit to playing every day or week. When your 50 cents a day turns into $5, $10, $15 then you really question the value.

EA has admitted they cannot maintain enough subscribers. Depending on auxiliary sales to subs is not a sustainable model especially since EA seems to be trying to squeeze as much blood from the CM as it can get. You can fry all of your chickens, but don't expect any more eggs.

IMO, the balance of what goes into game vs. what is only made available for CC's is way out of whack. The CM gets constant updates while crafting and exclusive vendors (Security Key, Collector's Edition) get squat. Gamble boxes are a necessary evil, but the desirable items should also be available for direct sales. Not sure why it's a big surprise that subs are feeling abused.

Kids needing on everything in the first flashpoints available ( easily recognizable by the lack of sprint )

As I subber I still got to wait a few times because of servers full. And we all know that subber and preferred numbers don't make up for full server ;)

Gonna have to say... bad. :(

I've had one bad experience with a F2P that was the players fault, they needed on an item in a hammer station that wasnt for their class, the player apologized, and I'm sorry this ninja loot F2P stuff is rubbish, if you're running a FP with F2P people then the drops are at most worth 11-14 planetary comms for mods which is what you get for completeing the FP anyway. Sprint, not having sprint at low levels is annoying, guiding an irl mate through the starting worlds when they're F2P and move so slowly....

F2P is not a bad thing

and all F2P players are not ninja looters, stuff happens move on.

I haven't had too many bad experiences with F2P Players. Many I have encountered are just using F2P as a trial until they decide if they want to play. Most have been rather mature and decent.

Of course I've had some bad encounters. One guy was just spamming Tython about how bad the F2P restrictions were and how we should all stop playing.

Another kept needing on every piece of loot in an FP.

So I suppose it is a mixture. Just depends on the person behind the character.

I would say I've had about a 60% positive experience with F2P Players. The other 40% are various levels of crappy gamers, need-bombing jerks, and trolls that don't have to worry about getting banned since they can just create a new account and level another toon.

while I had dealt with ninja looters, that sometimes were f2p (how can I tell? no sprint in early flashpoints) I've also dealt with subscriber ninjas. my main issue with f2p players was actually due to restrictions. grouped with one while leveling my marauder, had to remove sprint because I kept outrunning him, so in general it took us a little more time to get to places then if he were subscriber/preferred. otherwise, very nice grouping experience. similar experiences later one, when I'd have to dismount (because constant moving, then stopping to wait annoys me more than just plain running) worst part is the trade restriction in flashpoints. its a punishment to subscribers as much as to f2p players.

in short. most of my bad experiences were restriction related, not player related. so I would really love it if restrictions that affect the rest of the player base at least were removed (keep the title, color match etc - but no trading is just.. too much)

Yup, hit the nail on the head. We subsidize 90% of the free to play players who play the game without spending a penny. Subs have always been the core of this game band its subs paying most the cash in the coins shop..... and Bioware know it.

My experience of FTP is that too much content is put into the market and not enough into the base game and as a sub (who has spent quite a lot on buying additional coins, im not against the existence of the market) this annoys me. Im very much in the camp that believes BW do not do enough to rewards subscribers.

1) you pulled the 90% number out of somewhere... but it's not a place most people would care to know about.

2) the thread topic is about F2P players NOT the F2P business model. You are hijacking the OPs rant in favor of your own.

On topic.. my experience with F2P players as been really no different then the subscribers/Preferred. You get all types of people and opinions in a large population of varied demographics. Personally, I have seen some known subscribers in this game that make some of the worst in the F2P segment look like angels.

These types of threads are divisive and hate based and are inappropriate IMO.

I have encountered more grievers/ninjas/kill stealers etc that are subbed than i have ftp, generally the ftp ppl i meet are pretty decent folk and once you take a small amount of your own time and explain to them the stats they need etc and the need/greed system most thank you an we continue to enjoy the instance, subs on the other hand well its there right to have everything there right to troll through a instance and there right to grief everyone, but then ive met alot of decent sub folk aswell

End of the day theres bads on both sides of the fence, labeling one set as worse than other is just plain silly an ignorant

I think it's rather ignorant for subs to take the stand that free to play players are free loaders and shouldn't get the same benefits. Take one of the lead people in PlanetSide 2, he put it perfectly, free to play players are cannon fodder, they act as a walking target, in SWTOR, they act in a similar way. SWTOR went F2P for a reason and It'll suffer that way because of the restrictions F2P players have, It's actually disgusting.

BW has invented the free to extended trial.

My experience with f2p players is the same as with anybody else.

This. Your post of F2P experiences are pretty much the same issue as everyone else has of some subs. Its not the type of paying player, but instead the player themseleves no matter their status as a paying member of society as it were.

And I believe that F2P do not spend much on the CM is that its simply TOO FREAKIN EXPENSIVE if your not a subscriber as all the prices nearly double. I tried going preferred and its rediculously idiotic how expensive the CM market is outside of a subscription. Subs spend more on coins because F2P players do not see a benefit to coins if subbing is a cheaper way to go and get free coins to boot. The cash shop is built for YOU in mind and not Them and is utterly broken. IMO its better to get 1 dollar from 2 million people than 2 bucks from 500k.

I like some F2P players that have played an MMO before but some are annoying at low levels. Like the OP I was playing the Black Talon and some F2P was a loot ninja. On starting planets if I use jet boost I get spammed by F2P players on how to get the unlock. Some of them are just weird. A F2P player kept complaining on general chat that F2P players deserve no restrictions like subscribers lol. Everybody should know by now that general chat sometimes gets flooded by the same message. 'How do I get my advance class?'. Though I like the F2P players that are experienced MMO players. They are quite fun to play with and to talk with. :) Edited by XCoOKiExMoNSteRX