Orange based crafting proposal

nephlm

I think the problem is they didn't embrace the true nature of oranges.

A crafting/loot system that had oranges at its core would function differently

* most loot armor/weapons would be oranges

* all crafted armor/weapons would be oranges

* crafters could make a large selection of visual models

** any appropriate item can be reverse engineered for a chance to learn the visual design?

*** at any level? Only if you exceeded the level limit of the item?

*** Would the new design inherit the level limit?

* loot is mostly mods of various kinds and colors

* the high end flashpoint loot would be mostly mods, and distinctive orange pieces.

** Not revrse engineerable?

There are many different kinds of mods

* light/heavy armor mods are different (they'd have different names for system clarity (see barrels vs hilts))

* enhancements/mods are either armor or weapons, not both (again different names)

* enhancements are only made by cybertech

This means the following:

* armstech -> barrels, weapon mods, orange weapons

* armortech -> medium and heavy armor mod, orange medium/heavy armor

* artificeing -> hilts, color crystals, orange lightsaber, orange focuses and trinkets

* biotech -> unchanged still does limited duration buffs (incl primary stats), medkits, etc

* cybertech -> sole source of crafted enhancements, orange generators, forcefields, implants

* synthweaving -> light armor mod, orange light armor

With 6 armor slots and 2 weapon slots plus implants and trinkets, commendations alone don't leave you in the best stuff, especially if you try and keep a companion or two up to date, so you need to turn to the GTN or farming to keep up to date.

I'd toss in some minor slot buffs to the other crafters. Each craft should have a couple of consumables. Though staying specific and focused. Probably no primary stat buffs.

* armstech -> blaster: +max damage, +accuracy, +crit

* armortech -> med/heavy armor: +armor

* artificing -> lightsabers: +damage, +accuracy, +crit

etc...

I've ignored vibroblades and the like, they probably go into armstech, but I could see other arguments. I've put med armor into armortech, putting it in synthweave makes as much sense. Not sure how to resolve that without giving med armor it's own craft, or merging all three into one armor craft.

Now that system builds a vibrant crafting world that embraces item modding rather than trying to ignore the reality of it. It also avoids a wellfare crafting where only crafters can make repair kits as I've seen suggested in other places.

I have no idea how bioware changes what's there without making a bunch of people angry.