Going darkside shouldnt make you ugly

Trixdope

Why is it in bioware games they make you look ugly when you go darkside? (Scaley skin, Veins on face, Pale skin, ect.)

There has been plenty of sith who looked perfectly normal when gone to the darkside until they get disfigured someway wether it be a fight or something else.

-Anakin Ep.III

-Revan

-Count dooku

-Exar kun

-Palpatine (prior to mace windu's work)

-Darth maul

-Cadeus

-Zannah

-Bane

-Talon

-Ulic Qel Droma

-Bastila (short time but still)

The list can go on forever.

other than getting yellow eyes, people don't become fugly just by going darkside so why do we in all these bioware SW games?

Why is it in bioware games they make you look ugly when you go darkside? (Scaley skin, Veins on face, Pale skin, ect.)

There has been plenty of sith who looked perfectly normal when gone to the darkside until they get disfigured someway wether it be a fight or something else.

-Anakin Ep.III

-Revan

-Count dooku

-Exar kun

-Darth maul

-Cadeus

-Zannah

-Bane

-Talon

-Ulic Qel Droma

other than getting yellow eyes, people don't become fugly just by going darkside so why do we in all these bioware SW games?

to give a people a reason to get their dark side meter as high as they can for looks that's the only reason i do 100% dark side since i love how the corruption looks

Edited by Zaxem

-Anakin Ep.III

-Revan

-Count dooku

-Exar kun

-Darth maul

-Cadeus

-Zannah

-Bane

-Talon

-Ulic Qel Droma

Anakin hadn't completely fallen by Episode III, so he wasn't as affected by the corruption as others. I seriously think that the sulfuric eyes was just for dramatic effect since the whole, "I'm evil now I get yellow eyes for one shot" doesn't work. Especially since after that scene his eyes go back to being brown until he finally yells "I hate you" at Obi-Wan.

We don't know how Revan's face looked after being corrupted by the Dark Side since it was covered by a mask. Going by TOR isn't a good judge of it since at that point he had been redeemed and was walking in both the light and the dark.

Dooku also was not fully submerged into the Dark Side, the corruption had not affected him as badly as it had other Sith.

Exar Kun/Ulic Qel-Droma were created before it became Canon that the yellow eyes were a result of the Dark Side corruption, so of course they didn't turn ugly. At least, I think that they were, if someone can prove me wrong, I'd gladly change this.

Palpatine is debatable since people have been speculating that it wasn't just Mace's work that turned him into a wrinkled old man, but a Force power that hid his true form from others and that the duel with Windu ended up tearing that mask away and revealing his true corruption. When you really think about it, and watch Ep. III, it's kind of quick and convenient that Old Slimy's face and body suddenly turn into an old wrinkly mess without being blackened by the intense heat that being electrocuted should cause, not to mention his clothes remain untouched.

Maul had the yellow eyes, but as with Anakin, wasn't steeped so far into the Dark Side that corruption could have reached him and started to deform him. That takes years of devotion and steeping yourself into it to reach the level that Sidious did.

For Cadeus, Bastila and Talon, see above. A little less so Bastila since I doubt she was even dark enough to gain the yellowed eyes.

Bane. Well, look at the picture http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Bane and tell me that aint' butt-**** ugly. Dark Side corruption baby, all the way. Zannah was beginning to feel the beginnings of it by the end of her Apprenticeship with Bane, but we never got to see how she ended up looking. Same thing with Cognus, and Millenial, and Rivan. So Zannah could have ended up as withered looking as Zash, who is another candidate for the "Palpatine used a Force technique to hide his appearance" debate.

Also, quoted from the wiki on Dark Side corruption: "Many darksiders experienced a change in the pigmentation of their eyes, as their normal eye color would transform into a luminous, sulfuric yellow. Often the skin would also lose pigmentation, becoming pale and mottled while veins became increasingly visible. The hair would also lose color, making it appear as though the darksider was aging rapidly. The user's voice would also be altered, becoming a few pitches lower and raspier."

Hope this adds fuel to the fire.

Anakin hadn't completely fallen by Episode III, so he wasn't as affected by the corruption as others. I seriously think that the sulfuric eyes was just for dramatic effect since the whole, "I'm evil now I get yellow eyes for one shot" doesn't work. Especially since after that scene his eyes go back to being brown until he finally yells "I hate you" at Obi-Wan.

We don't know how Revan's face looked after being corrupted by the Dark Side since it was covered by a mask. Going by TOR isn't a good judge of it since at that point he had been redeemed and was walking in both the light and the dark.

Dooku also was not fully submerged into the Dark Side, the corruption had not affected him as badly as it had other Sith.

Exar Kun/Ulic Qel-Droma were created before it became Canon that the yellow eyes were a result of the Dark Side corruption, so of course they didn't turn ugly. At least, I think that they were, if someone can prove me wrong, I'd gladly change this.

Palpatine is debatable since people have been speculating that it wasn't just Mace's work that turned him into a wrinkled old man, but a Force power that hid his true form from others and that the duel with Windu ended up tearing that mask away and revealing his true corruption. When you really think about it, and watch Ep. III, it's kind of quick and convenient that Old Slimy's face and body suddenly turn into an old wrinkly mess without being blackened by the intense heat that being electrocuted should cause, not to mention his clothes remain untouched.

Maul had the yellow eyes, but as with Anakin, wasn't steeped so far into the Dark Side that corruption could have reached him and started to deform him. That takes years of devotion and steeping yourself into it to reach the level that Sidious did.

For Cadeus, Bastila and Talon, see above. A little less so Bastila since I doubt she was even dark enough to gain the yellowed eyes.

Bane. Well, look at the picture http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Darth_Bane and tell me that aint' butt-**** ugly. Dark Side corruption baby, all the way. Zannah was beginning to feel the beginnings of it by the end of her Apprenticeship with Bane, but we never got to see how she ended up looking. Same thing with Cognus, and Millenial, and Rivan. So Zannah could have ended up as withered looking as Zash, who is another candidate for the "Palpatine used a Force technique to hide his appearance" debate.

Also, quoted from the wiki on Dark Side corruption: "Many darksiders experienced a change in the pigmentation of their eyes, as their normal eye color would transform into a luminous, sulfuric yellow. Often the skin would also lose pigmentation, becoming pale and mottled while veins became increasingly visible. The hair would also lose color, making it appear as though the darksider was aging rapidly. The user's voice would also be altered, becoming a few pitches lower and raspier."

Hope this adds fuel to the fire.

Good post but i don't agree with some of those characters you said wernt steeped to far into the darkside to get the effects. Especially Maul who is probably the darkest out of any of them other than palpatine. And as far as Bane he was just butt *** ugly to begin with, But still besides the ugliness he was born with he didn't gain any from the darkside just got the yellow eyes.

Good post but i don't agree with some of those characters you said wernt steeped to far into the darkside to get the effects. Especially Maul who is probably the darkest out of any of them other than palpatine. And as far as Bane he was just butt *** ugly to begin with, But still besides the ugliness he was born with he didn't gain any from the darkside just got the yellow eyes.

While I concede that Bane wasn't the best looking guy before the corruption hit him, he was affected with it. It manifested in a twitch in his hand that showed a future degeneration had he not been killed. It wasn't just his yellow eyes, that twitch/throbbing was the beginning of his corruption. Even Zannah began to have it.

As for Maul, no, he wasn't deeply steeped into the Dark Side to gain the effects of the corruption. Maul was a force of pure hatred and anger, he was nothing but a brute, an animal. Even Dooku says this. He was not a user of great Force techniques like lightning, he was a duelist, a fighter, a warrior. Arguably, so was Bane, but the difference between them was that Bane actually steeped himself into not just the phyiscal aspects of the Dark Side, but also the Force side.

So far as I know, the appearance changes were due to how far into the dark side you were, but an equally significant thing was how you used the force. For example, lightning is inherently corruptive, as it causes intense pain and agony to its target and almost always requires calling directly upon the dark side (though there are exceptions). Something like force push however, is completely neutral, because its basic telekinesis that most force users can do. But force push can be corruptive, if you use your hate and passions to fuel it.

Maul didnt have all that corrupted of an appearance because he was mostly a lightsaber duelist and (in the movies anyway) almost never used the force, at least in a direct exertion of power. This essentially means that somebody that is a dark sider but doesnt actually use dark side powers all that often wont have as much of a sinister appearance.

With Palpatine and Zannah, Its quite possible that they simply used sorcery to conceal their true appearance, something that seems even more likely when you consider how in the inquisitor storyline, Zash suddenly goes from normal looking to absolutely hideous.

Edited by Rauzgriz

Yeah, I personally don't like the flesh eating bacteria thing on faces. I spend quite some time making them look good and it's never on one only iteration :rolleyes:

As for the lore/in-game/whatever justification for my DS character looking good even full dark, well, they're simply vain and they wont allow to look themselves fugly.

If Karr can hide the corruption, so can they

I think the corruption works ok on human but not so good to other races, at least Sith Pureblood should keep their red skin, we don't see Sadow, Ludo or any Pureblood Sith in the game have pale skin.

Yea why it makes them or Chiss lighter is odd. You shouldn't get lighter, just get the look.

There has been plenty of sith who looked perfectly normal when gone to the darkside until they get disfigured someway

I think you just answered your own question with an insightful commentary on what tends to happen to those who trust in the dark side.

As for the game, as others have pointed out, the corruption is a customization option, much like the character creation sliders. You earn a certain amount of disfigurement on par with the degree to which you've been playing in the dark sandbox, and if you decide that your character hasn't actually had a disfiguring moment yet, you switch it off.

And at the moment that you decide they've now had such a thing happen...the full measure of the consequences of your power gone dark are waiting just under that serene mask.

I think the corruption works ok on human but not so good to other races, at least Sith Pureblood should keep their red skin, we don't see Sadow, Ludo or any Pureblood Sith in the game have pale skin.

Well.. actually purebloods should not even have sith corruption turned on since they have evolved with the dark side hence why they have sith eyes from birth and are naturally talented with the dark side.

-Anakin Ep.III

-Revan

-Count dooku

-Exar kun

-Darth maul

-Cadeus

-Zannah

-Bane

-Talon

-Ulic Qel Droma

Maybe thats why there is an option to remove corruption. Just saying. My sith is darkside lvl V and looks quite normal.

Obviously there tons of lore out there explaining that kind of thing. I even heard of techniques that mask corruption forinstance.

As much as I like how my DS trooper looks, to be fair DS corruption should only affect force users. After all, you can be as mean as hell but, if you're not using the force, why should you be affected by it?

That is what I wondered, how an Agent, Trooper, BH could be affected when they didn't use the force.

True but surely It wouldn't affect you that much if you are not Force sensitive.

Shouldn't matter if someone is Force Sensitive or not, The Force affects everyone because its apart of them it doesn't really matter if they can use it or not the only difference between the two is a certain beings can use it.

Edited by Wolfninjajedi

Shouldn't matter if someone is Force Sensitive or not, The Force affects everyone because its apart of them it doesn't really matter if they can use it or not the only difference between the two is a certain beings can use it.

It honestly still shouldn't matter. There have been plenty of people in Star Wars that have done some pretty terrible things that weren't Force sensitive and weren't touched by Dark Side corruption. Tarkin, Daala, Ghez Hokan, Thracken Sal-Solo, just to name a few examples. At this point, and from most of the lore that can be brought up, it's pretty clear that only Force sensitives can be touched by Dark Side corruption.