Guardian or Sentinel

TheBatdan

I'm just sitting at level 10 on my knight at the advance trainer , I just can't decide. Staring at forums and talent trees. The Guardian's focus tree looks awesome, double leap and the auto crit Force Sweep. I think AoE is something I am missing from the Shadow, unless I get some cool form of it later( besides tank force breach ).

On the other hand, I want the dual lightsabers. It's cosmetics of something I will look at for a long time.

I just can't decide, so I whine here, sorry =[

I guess a fact noone cares about would be that I will be all about pvp, and mostly solo play. Yeah. Back to being annoyed at not being able to make a decision.

Edited by TheBatdan

I'm just sitting at level 10 on my knight at the advance trainer , I just can't decide. Staring at forums and talent trees. The Guardian's focus tree looks awesome, double leap and the auto crit Force Sweep. I think AoE is something I am missing from the Shadow, unless I get some cool form of it later( besides tank force breach ).

On the other hand, I want the dual lightsabers. It's cosmetics of something I will look at for a long time.

I guess a fact noone cares about would be that I will be all about pvp, and mostly solo play. Yeah. Back to being annoyed at not being able to make a decision.

Sentinels also have a Focus tree - it's shared in the Knight archetype. Problem solved.

The main difference between Guard Focus and Sent Focus is that Guard has Force Push that resets Charge and some scaling talents (+% Strength and +% Force damage), while Sent has noticeably more Focus to spend in this spec, along with an array of very potent defensive cooldowns, including short-term combat stealth and nigh-invincibility for 4 secs.

Also, Unless you're Deception on Shadow, you shouldn't have any trouble with AoE.

Edited by Helig

Roll Guardian if you want to tank, ever, with your JK, in heroics, groups, or with your companion. If you don't care about tanking, go Sentinel. Both are fine for PVE. The Sentinel kills things faster than a Guardian, but she's more complicated to play and works best if she doesn't have aggro.

Roll Guardian if you want to tank, ever, with your JK, in heroics, groups, or with your companion. If you don't care about tanking, go Sentinel. Both are fine for PVE. The Sentinel kills things faster than a Guardian, but she's more complicated to play and works best if she doesn't have aggro.

Levelled 3 Guards and 2 marauders. Marauder/Sent is not in any way more complex, let alone challenging.

Totally helped, went with Sentinel. Didn't even realize they share the same tree. I think I was just more interested in the Combat tree for Sent.

Also the Shadow AoE thing, I'm only level 26 I think, I only have whirling strike/spin/attack, whatever it's called. I have no trouble with AoE, it's just real unfulfilling.

Thanks for your help!

You leveled three guardians to 50? Wasn't that...boring?

To be fair, the third Guard is still levelling. First one was my old main, and first-ever ToR character -levelled as Defense. Second one I levelled as Vigilance (after 1.2 changes). The third one is Focus, after the infamous 1.4 changes.

Kinda went overtime.:D

Totally helped, went with Sentinel. Didn't even realize they share the same tree. I think I was just more interested in the Combat tree for Sent.

Also the Shadow AoE thing, I'm only level 26 I think, I only have whirling strike/spin/attack, whatever it's called. I have no trouble with AoE, it's just real unfulfilling.

Thanks for your help!

Well, Shadows have strong accessible AoE in the Balance tree as their 11-point talent. Life-sucking Force implosion.

You're welcome. Hope you enjoy Sent as I enjoyed my Marauder.

Edited by Helig

You leveled three guardians to 50? Wasn't that...boring?

I am working on fourth myself now. I have mara/sent at 50 and a jugg at 50. I like warriors the best for fun factor and after returning from 7 months away I forgot how to play them correctly. So I started a Sentinel again and I am having so much fun I will probably take it all the way up to 50.

I also have a 50 assassin; it was a lot more boring for me to level and I just ground it out for legacy buffs more than anything; currently have a BH at lvl 31 and dislike its play style but kind of want the legacy stuff for it so I may finish at least up to end of Act II.

Since I dont have 1, I may even make a Guardian afterwards... not sure though.

Also, as the poster said Guard/Jugg or sent/mara are all equally fun and equally as difficult or easy depending on how you want to look at it. Guard/Jugg will shine during AoE (which is a majority of levling) but mara/sent have great survival skills and in the end less downtime imho, or at least for me. I even used Kara solely for leveling, no healer needed.